News:

Main Menu

Guild Wars 2

Started by Slywyn, April 21, 2012, 09:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slywyn

Anyone paying attention to this at all? I didn't see a thread(Though I didn't search >_>), so I thought I'd just make one.

The first 'open' beta event is coming up on the 27th, meaning anyone that prepurchased the game will be able to play. Client should be coming down the pipe within the next few days.
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

SinXAzgard21

Yup, but no one can say if they are part of it or not.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Wolfy

Well it's not that hard.

Did you pre-order at gamestop?

If Yes, You're in. :P

SinXAzgard21

Preorder doesn't get beta.  And that is still breaking the NDA due to you revealing that you are part of the beta.

Slywyn

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on April 21, 2012, 09:57:42 PM
Preorder doesn't get beta.  And that is still breaking the NDA due to you revealing that you are part of the beta.

That's not true. This upcoming beta is not covered by the NDA. ArenaNet themselves has said everyone is free to write/blog/screencap/video/interview/whatever.

It's an open beta to everyone who prepurchased the game. There's no way they could ever hope to keep that many people quiet.

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Chris Brady

Actually, yes it does.  I checked the site, and there is an NDA for these beta weekends.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Slywyn

Quote from: Chris Brady on April 21, 2012, 10:29:57 PM
Actually, yes it does.  I checked the site, and there is an NDA for these beta weekends.

http://www.arena.net/blog/the-beta-weekend-event-is-coming

QuoteThis is a public event, which means that you’re not bound by a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA). So go ahead, feel free to take screenshots, shoot video, blog, tweet, write, or compose a rock opera to share your Guild Wars 2 experience with the world.

SinXAzgard21

3 hours 47 minutes left till open beta.

Chris Brady

I'll get on a couple of hours late, cuz I have some chores to do but the Blackhawke lineage will be back.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

ofDelusions

36 minutes time to decide wether I want to roll same profession that will be my main on release (ele) or something else.

SinXAzgard21

12 minutes guys, I'm choosing a America server so anyone wanna team up and explore.

SinXAzgard21

So I'm sure it is the beta but I'm running 2 6850 radeon graphics card and I have 8gb ram along with a intel i7-2600k processor yet I'm only getting 25-30 fps... I really hope it is the game.

Chris Brady

I hope my single and aging 5550HD can handle the game...

What American server?

Slywyn

The game's having a lot of performance and such issues, so that's probably why you're experiencing all that.

Chris Brady

Which server is everyone trying?

SinXAzgard21

I'm on blazingridge mountains

Slywyn

I'm playing on Tarnished Coast. It's 'the' RP realm, from what I hear, that all the RPers are gonna roll on once the game comes out.

ofDelusions

Far Shiverpeak, because I heard it was going to be unofficial Nordic server.

Chris Brady

It's fun, it's different, but it needs balancing tweaks.

Slywyn

Very much so, but I imagine that's part of what the beta's about, and why they have the little questionnaires at the end of quests and events.

There's a few of them that I've had to put "Very hard" on because it was nearly impossible to complete alone. And these are story missions you're -supposed- to do alone.

Chris Brady

Exactly.  I mean I like the dying chance mechanic, it's cute and clever, but when a thief or a warrior gets constantly sent back to the start because the simply are on par or one level too low, there's something that needs to be looked at.

At the same time, I'm finding the game very enjoyable despite it.

Darkpoet

I loved a lot of things about the game. Character complexity, the dynamic events system (once they fix some of the weird scaling that happens and ends up getting people one shotted, or results in large groups steam rolling everything). A lot of the issues I had could basically be summed up as "it's in beta and they'll likely fix it." I love the underlying PvE mechanics, as it encourages cooperation without the hassle of trying to put together groups for things. I was also a pretty big fan of the challenge in playing melee classes, but some class balance stuff needs to be looked at. I circle-strafed and auto-attacked my way through level 17 as an elementalist, with the occasional AoE if I happened to be taking on 3 things at once.

I did find going from an epic event back to some of the heart quests to be jarring. The heart quest stuff is basically a streamlined version of standard MMO questing and it gets incredibly repetitive. Having that right next to sudden centaur attacks and what have you made it a little more difficult to deal with.

ExisD

Going Sea of Sorrows since most of my friends who are playing are going there.

As a whole I found the beta to be so much fun that I'm eagerly awaiting more. I played a Greatsword Guardian and found the level of difficulty refreshing. Though the balance of melee and ranged needs a lot of work. At least Anet realizes this and was actively looking for opinions/advice on the forums.

I'm actually worried that the game will be too hard for many new players to pick it up. I found the only impossible things to be soloing dynamic events below level for the enemies. I know you aren't supposed to be able to do that, but tried anyway and nearly succeeded a few times.

What did you all think of the personal stories? I went with lower class human and was disappointed by how much I didn't find myself caring about most of the NPCs in the storyline.

Shjade

Quote from: Darkpoet on May 04, 2012, 07:58:08 AM
I circle-strafed and auto-attacked my way through level 17 as an elementalist, with the occasional AoE if I happened to be taking on 3 things at once.

This was what a gameplay review of the beta looked like to me as well. It was a little disappointing given all the "zomg combat system so dynamic" stuff I was reading from fans, but not exactly surprising. The teamwork mechanics sound more revolutionary than the combat.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Chris Brady

Worse is the melee.  Best Warrior build?  Rifle.  Go sniper, or you WILL die like a dog in the street.  Doesn't matter if you strafe, most hammer attacks have a half to full second wind up, and the Greatsword damage dealer roots you, not the enemy.  The skill is One Hundred Blades.

Armour has no effect, other than some stats, I tested this for three straight hours of swapping between going commando and full suit for six levels of heart rending pain.