Old Habits Die Hard

Started by chronosmaker, June 13, 2008, 08:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chronosmaker

I'm not politically minded at all, but sometimes religion arguments just get me going, and the such. And one thing that comes to mind in one of my many silent conversations with myself is something that happened not too long ago, and may STILL be happening elsewhere or in ways I do not know.

I've lived in Texas for as long as I remember, and I'm told since I was born, so I have no clue about the happenings elsewhere. I used to live in another neighborhood before the one I'm currently in, and I lived there when Harry Potter came out. Rather quickly if I remember right religions, mainly Christians, proclaimed it demonic or something and pretty much hated anyone who read it, which includes myself.

Does anyone know the whole crazy thing that was about/is still about? I never heard the entire side, just our small section of it.

Also on a small note, Christians, at least the more serious ones, are very judgemental. No insult to any Christians here, but in my neighborhood there is one family that is very Christian, and apaprently I said the wrong thing in front of them and they consider me demon spawn. Personally it makes me laugh, but still, anyone else had strange things like that happen to them?

Opinions are welcome.
'Who are you now? Wait, what am I supposed to be doing? Ah well, I'm sure stabbing you in the face is close enough.'-Me when waking up in the morning.

Ons and Offs
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=16570.0
(No I'm not going to make it fancy looking...)

Sherona

Quote from: chronosmaker on June 13, 2008, 08:00:15 PM
I'm not politically minded at all, but sometimes religion arguments just get me going, and the such. And one thing that comes to mind in one of my many silent conversations with myself is something that happened not too long ago, and may STILL be happening elsewhere or in ways I do not know.

I've lived in Texas for as long as I remember, and I'm told since I was born, so I have no clue about the happenings elsewhere. I used to live in another neighborhood before the one I'm currently in, and I lived there when Harry Potter came out. Rather quickly if I remember right religions, mainly Christians, proclaimed it demonic or something and pretty much hated anyone who read it, which includes myself.

Does anyone know the whole crazy thing that was about/is still about? I never heard the entire side, just our small section of it.

Also on a small note, Christians, at least the more serious ones, are very judgemental. No insult to any Christians here, but in my neighborhood there is one family that is very Christian, and apaprently I said the wrong thing in front of them and they consider me demon spawn. Personally it makes me laugh, but still, anyone else had strange things like that happen to them?

Opinions are welcome.

*grins* One family = the whole religion? :)

On a different note, many christians (not all) feel that harry potter numbed the childrens brain to witchcraft and promoted witchcraft, which in many christian doctorines is Satanic in origin. They didn't hate people who read the books, they just felt the books were not suited for young people, and believed that they shouldn't read them either.

chronosmaker

Well I don't go judging by only what I've seen, simply stating whats happened. I knew the general community opinion, but I WAS told by the people there that those who read it are demonic or something.

And that family are the only Christians I know of in my area, simply was stating something. I know there are Christians out there not like that, I've talked to a few, but there ARE too serious ones.
'Who are you now? Wait, what am I supposed to be doing? Ah well, I'm sure stabbing you in the face is close enough.'-Me when waking up in the morning.

Ons and Offs

Sherona

Quote from: chronosmaker on June 13, 2008, 08:18:53 PM
Well I don't go judging by only what I've seen, simply stating whats happened. I knew the general community opinion, but I WAS told by the people there that those who read it are demonic or something.

And that family are the only Christians I know of in my area, simply was stating something. I know there are Christians out there not like that, I've talked to a few, but there ARE too serious ones.

Not disputing at all that there are very serious christians :) And I am sure that there christians who do believe reading Harry Potter is demonic, just as I am sure there are christians who believe just connecting to the web is demonic because teh www is the hebrew for 666 (this I am not sure of, was told this by a guy claiming to be christian but I am sure that there was a rumor flying around about it also....) :) Christianity has many different denominations and doctorines within the blanket of that religion.

chronosmaker

Yeah. Its just one thing I've noticed though is that I've seen a few religions about, whether through the net, in person, or TV, but it seems above all Christianity sees the most arguments. I've been wondering why for a few years. Any idea?

Ons and Offs

HairyHeretic

Apparently there's a passage or two in the bible that JHVH doesn't like any kind of sorcerers, diviners, etc etc .. magic users of any kind, basically. I'd presume that's the starting point to it.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

chronosmaker

If I see anyone using magic today I MAY just start believing. Until then, I will stay neutral. But it would be pretty cool to be able to actually do magic...

I would totally turn into a chicken.

Ons and Offs

HairyHeretic

How do you feel about divination?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

chronosmaker

Well I could take a guess at your definition of divination, but to be entirely sure, what do you mean by divination?

Ons and Offs

HairyHeretic

Telling a future through tools or gifts of some kind with a fair degree of success or accuracy

Cattle die, kinsmen die

chronosmaker

Eh if it was possible, I wouldn't. Would probably make me paranoid.

Ons and Offs

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

chronosmaker

Well if you know the future, then how can you tolerate knowing that if you do something wrong the reactions of it across the future could be catastrophic?

Ons and Offs

HairyHeretic

That would presume the future is fixed, that there is only one single outcome. That it is THE future, and not simply A future.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

chronosmaker

Yes bit even if they are not fixed, you would then be paranoid about turning things for the worse possibly, or ruining someone, or many things. When you know what may or may not happen and its outcomes, me personally, I would go crazy.

Ons and Offs

HairyHeretic

Well, i would give a post on my views on divination .. I read the futhark runes .. but its 4.30 a.m. and my brain is shutting down :)

If you're interested I'll do it tomorrow.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

chronosmaker

Sure thing. Not against it, just wouldn't do it myself.

Ons and Offs

The Great Triangle

Knowing the future, at least in a monotheistic relgious situation, usually implies that it is predestined, and therefore a diviner would be able to dodge the moral weight of his actions as they affected the future, since divination is generally for the purpose of understanding the future, rather than changing it.

As for why Christianity is the religion everyone argues about, it's the world's largest religion, claiming about a third of the world population, and it's centered in the west, thus giving it extreme cultural influence.  In particular, the Christian conception of God is a factor in Islam, which together with Christianity accounts for about 60% of the world population, and when one considers that 20% of the world population does not identify with a major religion, it makes sense to use the idea of uppercase G God as synonymous with religion.  

As for Harry Potter being satanic, it identifies itself slightly with cultural ideas considered to be harmful superstitions, which inflame reactionary parts of the religious group.  More rational groups, such as the Catholics, have opposed the books very slightly merely for their lack of reference to the Christian God.  
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

chronosmaker

Post full of knowledge there. On a random note, if Christians got together they could take over the world if there really is that many.

Ons and Offs

The Great Triangle

Yes, yes they could.  It was called the age of imperialism.  However, the church grew powerful and corrupt, and so factions emerged.  Then, there were religious wars, and people became so sick of religion that it became far less important in western society.  The people who didn't become sick of religion were ostracized, and so they emigrated to North America, which is a main reason why you have such weirdly fanatic religious types around the U.S.
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

chronosmaker

True. I choose just to stay out of it and keep neutral. Still crazy though.

Ons and Offs