BESM 4th Edition

Started by Malkavian, April 23, 2020, 03:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelsmiter

I'm reasonably certain that if I ran a game it'd probably be somewhere in the Human to Heroic power level and benchmarks, and heroic is pushing it without an appropriate concept.
I don't play in PMs
Who wants to join an incest registry?
O/Os
Download RPGs I wrote on my Discord!
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Malkavian

Quote from: Knarfy on July 22, 2020, 08:36:42 PMYiisssss. The world needs more bunnies >:3

Indeed!

Quote from: steelsmiter on July 22, 2020, 10:37:23 PMI'm reasonably certain that if I ran a game it'd probably be somewhere in the Human to Heroic power level and benchmarks, and heroic is pushing it without an appropriate concept.

I'd try and provide suitable reasons for her to be Heroic, given the nature of the second picture, but less could work if I just used the png one. Depends on the setting I guess.

steelsmiter

Quote from: Malkavian on July 22, 2020, 10:46:17 PM
I'd try and provide suitable reasons for her to be Heroic, given the nature of the second picture, but less could work if I just used the png one. Depends on the setting I guess.
I actually wouldn't mind a little direction from you guys on that, everything swirling around in my head would work just as well if not better in Visual Novel World, so I could actually use a primer on something that's not some approximation of slice of life.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Knarfy

Superheroes? My Hero Academia knockoff? That kind of blend of comic book shenanigans with every-day mundanity could maybe work.

What kind of things do you have swirling around? Like, in terms of general themes and stuff?
Godbound: Erry day I'm shillin' it
My O/O thread
Why isn't Knarfy posting? - probably because he is lazy
"The most iconic hentai is essentially Lovecraftian, in that it portrays sexual pleasure as beyond human comprehension, to which the only possible response is a descent into hedonistic madness." - Anonymous

Malkavian

Quote from: Malkavian on July 22, 2020, 03:01:57 PM

Think I could fit her into anywhere with a little tweaking, providing it's not humans only (or if there are, an off-shot like her isn't banned).

steelsmiter

Quote from: Knarfy on July 24, 2020, 07:04:23 PM
Superheroes?
Hard to pull off even at adventurer level, but me saying that isn't a veto. I've had some... amusing ideas in the past about an organization called B.R.E.A.S.T. (Battle Ranger Elite Angels Strike Team) an all female organization fighting D.I.C.K.S. (Dudes In Crime for KickS) which I'll admit is rather silly with just the naming conventions, let alone the rest of the idea, which I won't bother with here since I can't say I know the crowd well enough. Also probably doesn't fit the image that Malkavian wants to play.

QuoteMy Hero Academia knockoff?
I try to avoid anything seeking to emulate fandoms. If something I run looks like it might be inspired by a fandom it's usually random chance. That being said, It's entirely possible I might stumble onto some of the themes.

QuoteThat kind of blend of comic book shenanigans with every-day mundanity could maybe work.
I'm pro-that even without the need to attach a specific fandom or label on it.

QuoteWhat kind of things do you have swirling around? Like, in terms of general themes and stuff?
That's the trouble, right now it's vague and non-specific

Quote from: Malkavian on July 24, 2020, 07:09:08 PM
Think I could fit her into anywhere with a little tweaking, providing it's not humans only (or if there are, an off-shot like her isn't banned).
BESM has non-humans already, and the benchmarks I'm working with max out at around 74 points. You could probably tweak the Nekojin to fit a character with rabbit ears instead. If we're already interested in playing a supers based game, the Assault Mecha comes in at 65 points as an item, which makes the total 75. That's only if you leave Nekojin as is. It would be easy to delete things unrelated to bunnies, add things related to bunnies, and fill out defects to make up the difference.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Knarfy

By MHA knockoff, I mostly just meant that kind of setting where metahumans or whatever are super commonplace and costumed vigilantes and villains are as well, rather than like... a direct port of it or something. :)
My O/O thread
"The most iconic hentai is essentially Lovecraftian, in that it portrays sexual pleasure as beyond human comprehension, to which the only possible response is a descent into hedonistic madness." - Anonymous

steelsmiter

Quote from: Knarfy on July 27, 2020, 04:02:58 PM
By MHA knockoff, I mostly just meant that kind of setting where metahumans or whatever are super commonplace and costumed vigilantes and villains are as well, rather than like... a direct port of it or something. :)
Yeah, ok. I can definitely stumble deliberately onto those themes  ;D
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Malkavian

Quote from: steelsmiter on July 27, 2020, 12:42:33 PMYou could probably tweak the Nekojin to fit a character with rabbit ears instead. If we're already interested in playing a supers based game, the Assault Mecha comes in at 65 points as an item, which makes the total 75. That's only if you leave Nekojin as is. It would be easy to delete things unrelated to bunnies, add things related to bunnies, and fill out defects to make up the difference.

That was my thinking. Tweak some stuff, give the template a new name, and apply.

Marie Reynolds

Do you still have  room in this  game?

steelsmiter

I'm not ready to start working on the game/idea yet. It looks like nobody's had issues with me limiting things to Adventurer points and benchmarks, and it looks like we're leaning toward street level supers-ish.

When I am actually readyI'll put something over in GMs Seeking Roleplayers so we can determine what players are looking at and how seriously they're looking, and how many are definite participants (as determined by sheet submissions)
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Knarfy

Guess I should actually get the new edition and look at it then huh... :P
My O/O thread

steelsmiter

Quote from: Knarfy on July 28, 2020, 07:36:00 PM
Guess I should actually get the new edition and look at it then huh... :P
I um... would imagine so. Might be difficult to finalize your interest once I put in as a GM looking for players.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Knarfy

Already done :3

Doesn't seem *that* different from 3rd edition, but it's been a while since I read that too.
My O/O thread

steelsmiter

Quote from: Knarfy on July 30, 2020, 07:43:53 PM
Already done :3

Doesn't seem *that* different from 3rd edition, but it's been a while since I read that too.
It's been compared to "3rd edition with costs more appropriate to 2nd edition", but also has a weird/dumb way of doing enhancements and limiters.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Knarfy

It mostly seemed like taking some of the ideas for universal drawbacks/advantages from like... Hero or Mutants&Masterminds and applying them through the lens of how Attack powers worked in previous ed's of BESM?

Not really surprising tbh. There's a lot of cross-pollination between those games. :P
My O/O thread

steelsmiter

Quote from: Knarfy on July 31, 2020, 11:32:49 AM
It mostly seemed like taking some of the ideas for universal drawbacks/advantages from like... Hero or Mutants&Masterminds and applying them through the lens of how Attack powers worked in previous ed's of BESM?
I don't actually have a basis for knowing how to answer that.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Knarfy

Lol, no worries. I'm basically just chatting at this point. Looking back at 3rd edition, it had 'variables' and stuff for customizing powers, but they cost flat character points instead of adjusting the power level up and down. M&M (if memory serves) had power modifiers that could cost either flat amounts of points, or change the cost per level of the modified power. Lots of fine tuning, but also kind of complex.

Just directly eating or adding power levels seems like a fine way to do it? Not as fine a control, but also scales with the overall cost of the power somewhat.

Looking forward to seeing your idea! (not trying to rush you. Just happen to have a lot of time to twiddle my thumbs at the moment  ;) )
My O/O thread

steelsmiter

Quote from: Knarfy on July 31, 2020, 12:54:12 PM
Looking forward to seeing your idea! (not trying to rush you. Just happen to have a lot of time to twiddle my thumbs at the moment  ;) )
I come from the PBtA camp, but before that, from GURPS. I used to have a lot of original ideas, but then I've also gotten great mileage out of the ideas not entirely being my own. What I know right now is that I have plans for a point cost, benchmarks, and that the characters are generally meta/super/tech enhanced humanoids. I don't know how or why, or if each character will have a different reason, or what organization(s) the players will work under, or how much zany/shenanigans are involved.

I'm considering the LHC's collision producing the Higgs Boson Particle on July 4, 2012 to be a nice starting point for a diversion between well... the real world and the either sudden or gradual (over 8 years) progression where bunny humanoids and Mechs are a thing. But also probably some people that mess with probabilities, some people that can manipulate other energies, some people that can manipulate their own bodies to extremes, and so on.

But no Magical Girls. And by that, I mean that nobody is a minor, or transforms to or from one as part of their powers. I run adult games were where sex and graphic violence is on the table. I recognize this may be a problem for some.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Knarfy

That all sounds like a great starting point!

Having now played a bit of PBtA and some other 'fiction first' game systems, I definitely have some issues with some of the things I see them doing a lot. That said, they also have some great concepts and ideas that are worth applying to pretty much any game. I also think they can be a good fit for play-by-post. Most of my experience is more on the gamist/simulationist side of things though. Lots of D&D, with a broad scattering of other systems over the years. :)

Maybe the LHC collision produced some kind of stable space warp or something that ended up allowing physicists to like, swap the bosons around in materials, or other crazy sub-atomic manipulations. And it leads to super rapid advancement in material science and energy production. But also the space warps emit some kind of wacky radiation that they don't catch at first, and that leads to all sorts of other weird stuff.

Oooor, and I think I like this better, the LHC experiment creates some kind of 'ripple' or something in the quantum waveforms underpinning the material universe (or some other pop-sci gobbledygook) and it sort of 'breaks' physics as we know it, but inconsistently. Most all the things we already knew still work, but now all kinds of other things work too, and no one really knows why. People start developing crazy meta-abilities, and turning into weird human/not-human hybrids. Mad scientists are doing completely impossible things that only they really understand (if even that). Everything is nuts.
My O/O thread

Marie Reynolds

So we are going with a DC Flash tv style origin. That should be fun, So are we going to be freelance on our own  till the government or a private individual manages to get a hold of the situation and  brings an organization together?

steelsmiter

Quote from: Knarfy on August 01, 2020, 11:01:54 AM
Oooor, and I think I like this better, the LHC experiment creates some kind of 'ripple' or something in the quantum waveforms underpinning the material universe (or some other pop-sci gobbledygook) and it sort of 'breaks' physics as we know it, but inconsistently. Most all the things we already knew still work, but now all kinds of other things work too, and no one really knows why. People start developing crazy meta-abilities, and turning into weird human/not-human hybrids. Mad scientists are doing completely impossible things that only they really understand (if even that). Everything is nuts.

Yep, that's pretty much the one I'm going for, it allows the greater utilization of the options BESM 4 permits.

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on August 01, 2020, 12:24:13 PM
So we are going with a DC Flash tv style origin. That should be fun, So are we going to be freelance on our own  till the government or a private individual manages to get a hold of the situation and  brings an organization together?
I don't have particularly strong opinions either way. It does make sense to me that a government organization would probably want to try to corral all the supers, and that an exceedingly rich individual would want to get them on his/her payroll. It could be that multiple organizations exist.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Knarfy

Considering that it's been only 8 years since the 'event' I would expect things to be preeety chaotic overall. That feels like enough time for the effects to really spin out of control, but not enough time for them to really settle into much of a status quo.

But maybe not. I would think that whatever status quo *did* manage to exist would be super fragile.
My O/O thread

Marie Reynolds

Cool, Also let me  apologize if  it came off as i was asking as i wanted  those elements. I was   merely trying to wrap my  head  around the  nature of the world and how  things  operate in it. Where as a society for the   game world is with the  arrival  of supers. are  people  split on   how the react supers(love fear hate indifferent).  More over I   watch  so many different types of super hero related  content, I am just trying to  get a clear  vision of   of  the world nd  the type of story we want to tell so i can bring a  character to mesh with that.

Knarfy

For sure for sure!

I mean, I'm just speculating along with everyone else, so nobody needs to take anything I say too seriously :3
My O/O thread