Interest Check - Me and My Monster/Me and My Human

Started by Idlewyld, August 09, 2014, 06:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kunoichi

xD I see.  Any other special abilities you want to work in?  You are essentially designing a super-awesome fantasy monster, after all.

EdwardShane

Other powers that could fit for a lamia might include the following, if they appeal:

Gaze attacks (paralysis is the normal effect, though it might be able to do other stuff too)
Depending on the type of snake, they could spit their venom at a distance
High levels of strength
Remarkable swimming talents/surprisingly high capability for climbing
Ability to "smell" their surroundings using their forked tongues (makes it harder to sneak up on them, potentially can "smell" emotions of those nearby too)
The ability to sense heat

Don't have to actually take any of these.  Just offering a few ideas that I've used in the past when playing a lamia ^^;

Kunoichi

Also, forked tongues are usually symbolic for lying really well...

ShanaTheIV

I'll work on it. I've added the stats for Yumi btw. I hope I build her right. ^^;

Kunoichi

You appear to have only placed 13 out of 15 points into your skills.  Two points left to spend there. ^^

ShanaTheIV

Can the last two be on my own like, base defense or something? I'm kinda building her tanky so...

As for my lamia, I could use some advice as to how I should organize her abilities since the layout looks different for the monsters. Sorry for being a nuisance! >_<

EdwardShane

If you want her to be tanky, I'd suggest putting them into Blocking.  To me and with what I know so far, that's about the epitome of the human form of toughness based defense.  Either that or maybe Wind.

Edit:  Then again, I might also not know what I'm talking about, too.  ^^"  Ignore me, I'm tired and trying to be helpful with something I don't know a whole much about.

Kunoichi

Wind is basically the Endurance skill.  Blocking would definitely be a good place to stick those last two points, if you want to be able to defend yourself.  Don't worry, though, you'll eventually get dice that can be spent on monster-style powers as you and your monster deepen your relationship, and you can use those to get the armor-like ability that you want. ^^

As for monsters, from the character creation rules back on page 2...

QuoteMonster Powers:
Every monster has a total of 10 hit locations, and each one assigned to a body part gives it 5 dice.  Each body part starts out with one free ability (the abilities being Attack, Defend, and Useful,) and additional abilities and extras can be purchased at a rate of 1 die per ability or extra added.  Useful abilities can be accessed for free, but to activate attack and defense abilities, a monster must spend points from his or her power pool.
Monster Power Extras:
Area - A basic area of effect extra that applies to both Attack and Useful abilities.  Each level of this power that you buy increases the radius of the effect, as well as the number of dice you roll when determining how many body parts are affected by the ability.

Awesome - A nifty little extra.  Taking it once allows you to set aside a die from the dicepool of the part it's on and set it to any number you want before rolling.  Essentially, it acts like a free called shot in the system that the game uses.  Taking it twice allows you to set the die after you roll, thus allowing you to guarantee that you'll always get at least one set when you roll.

Burn - Damage over time.  The default interpretation for this is that it sets things on fire, but you can also use it to model things like acid, poison, or swarms of killer bees.

Gnarly - Each level of Gnarly adds a point of damage to any successful attack.

Sharing - This extra allows you to share the body part's abilities with your human partner, though you can't use that body part while your human has it.

Spray - Take this ability, and any time you roll multiple sets on the body part it's on, you can use all of the sets that you roll, rather than having to pick just one.  If you have multiple body parts with Spray, you can use them in combination with each other if you roll multiple sets, without suffering the usual penalties for taking multiple actions.

Tough - Each level of Tough knocks a point of damage off the body part whenever it gets hit.

Wicked Fast - Each level adds a point to the width of any successful rolls on a body part, but only for the purposes of determining which action takes place first.  In another game that uses the same basic system as this one, this ability was called 'Go First', which I think describes what the extra does a little better.

I'm thinking that at minimum, you'd want a couple of parts for your snake body, one part for your human bits, and one part for your head.  What's the full list of powers you'd like to have?

ShanaTheIV

You know, I just realized, Idle post the information on page two so I can just look that up! But some advice can still be helpful anyway if it's not too much trouble... ^^; I feel a little stupid.

Thank you so much for helping me out by the way! I'll try to finish build Erie tomorrow.

Kunoichi

To be fair, it probably would be more helpful if he would edit the information into the opening post. :P Either way, though, I'll certainly enjoy looking over Erie's finished build tomorrow.  I'll be happy to provide more advice for her if you need it.

Edit:
QuoteBut some advice can still be helpful anyway if it's not too much trouble... ^^;

Sure. ^^ My big recommendation is to try and make a list of all the powers and abilities you want your character to have, and then think about which parts of the body on her picture they'd be tied to.  That should help with defining which body parts your monster has.

ShanaTheIV

I've made the stats for my lamia but tbh, I barely know what I was doing. x.x I hope I build her right...

I'm more concerned about the learning crave of the system really. I've never heard of this type of system.

Kunoichi

Your math's off in a few places. ^^; Correcting those first, then offering suggestions...

Quote1-2 Venomous Fang 4d (Attack [Sexy Bite], Useful [Arousal drug for her partners] Wicked Fast, Burn x2)

Burn can only be taken once, I'm afraid.  Also, this part would be at 6d.  It started at 10d, and you got the Attack power for free, so you only spent four dice on abilities and extras for it.

And actually, since Burn x2 isn't a valid choice, it's at 7d.  Perhaps you could increase Wicked Fast to x2 and add in Awesome x2, thus bringing the part back down to 4d, but making it very fast and reliable when it gets put to use?

Quote3-4 Strong Arms 6d (Attack [Punch], Defend [Block], Useful [Heavy lifting and carrying] Gnarly, Tough x2)

5-7 Tough, sexy body 3d (Useful [Breast feeding and Milking], Awesome x2, Tough x2)

The Strong Arms are only at 5d, rather than 6d, unfortunately. ^^; The Tough, Sexy Body has 3 hit locations, though, so it started out at 15d, and has only been reduced to 11d by the extras you bought for it.

Perhaps you could move a location over from the Tough, Sexy Body to the Strong Arms, bumping the Arms up to 10d and lowering the Body to 6d?  You might want to add an extra Useful ability or two to the sexy body, too, if you can think of anything good.  Hypnotic belly-dancing ability combined with one or two levels of Area to hypnotize large crowds, perhaps. ;)

Quote8-10 Snake body 8d (Attack [Whip and Squeeze], Defend [Curl], Wicked Fast x2, Tough)

This one is also at 11d.  A Useful movement ability would probably be a good idea, as well as a Useful ability related to constricting, so that you can use it to stop an opponent from moving in combat.

And that's the corrections and suggestions I've got. ^^ Hope they help.  Also, if you'd like to see a sample character that I sent to the GM a while back who seems to be rather similar, mechanically, to yours, but is a different type of monster girl...

Example Character
Name: Random example spider-lady
Appearance: A sexy lady's torso and upper body, sprouting centaur-like from the body of a horrific spider.
Personality: Devious and cunning, with a strong sensual flair.  The random example spider-lady seems to have taken a strong liking to her human partner, and seeks to spend as much time as possible with him.
Favorite Thing: Playing 'The Spider and the Fly'.  But only when she gets to be the spider.
Way to Hide: Not used in this campaign.

1-2: Hairy Spider-legs 4d (Useful [skitter along any surface], Useful [knit webbing into other things], Tough x2, Awesome x2, Wicked Fast)

3-6: Pulsating Thorax 4d (Attack [big butt], Useful [big enough to carry people on], Useful [silk spinnerets], Useful [ovipositor], Useful [frightening red hourglass symbol], Defend [webbing shield], Area x5, Tough x3, Awesome x2, Wicked Fast)

7-8: Sexy Topless Lady-Bits 4d (Useful [womanly charms], Useful [lactation], Defend [silicone], Tough x2, Awesome x2)

9-10: Beautiful Face And Head 4d (Useful [paralyzing venom], Useful [hypnotic voice], Useful [multiple eyes], Useful [hyper-intelligent arachnoid mind], Attack [fangs], Awesome x2)

Lots of Useful abilities, as you can see, and with Awesome x2 on everything, they're all extremely reliable.  Of course, at 4d, none of the powers are particularly strong...

ShanaTheIV

The #d stuff is what really got me. I didn't know how I was suppose to determine how much I'm allow to put on them, and how viable it with be as a result.  :-[

Kunoichi

Ah, I see.  Well, basically, each hit location you assign to a part gives that part 5 dice.  Each part gets one free ability (Attack, Defend, or Useful), and you can then spend dice to get more abilities and extras to add onto the part at a cost of 1 die per ability or extra.  The maximum size for any dicepool is 10, so if you do something like, say, put 3 hit locations on one part, you'll have a total of 15 dice, and will have to spend at least 5 of those dice on special abilities as a result.

Hope that helps things make a little more sense.

ShanaTheIV

I think I got it now... I edit her stats btw. I really hope I did it right this time.

Kunoichi

You're close. ^^; The Venomous Fang part should be 7d, the Tough, Sexy Body should be 9d, and the Snake Body should be 8d.

Also, at 5d, your Strong Arms aren't going to reliably hit, block, or carry things all that often.  Are you sure you wouldn't want to make them location 3-5, thus granting them an extra 5 dice to work with?  The Tough, Sexy Body has Awesome x2, so even if you decrease it to locations 6-7 and drop it to 4d, it will still be very reliable.

ShanaTheIV

Uh, I thought I had it! I need to re-read what the effects do.

I changed it again. I'm so sorry for acting noob-ish! Thanks again for being patient with me...  :-[

Kunoichi

No problem. ^^ This isn't a very well-known system here on E, so I'm not expecting people to get it instantly.  Your monster looks pretty good overall.  She has large dicepools on most things, so she'll have good chances of success when using those parts, and the one small dicepool she has will be very reliable when put to use.  Those large dicepools also make her fairly durable, since they also double as hp in this system, and they give her a lot of overall power.

To copy a table from the book that I put up in the OOC thread a short while ago...

The Monster Might Table

DiceSpeedRangeSize
1d2 mph10 yards50 lbs
2d4 mph20 yards100 lbs
3d8 mph40 yards200 lbs
4d16 mph80 yards400 lbs
5d32 mph160 yards800 lbs
6d64 mph320 yards1,600 lbs
7d128 mph640 yards1.6 tons
8d256 mph1,280 yards3.2 tons
9d512 mph1.5 miles6.4 tons
10d1,024 mph3 miles12.8 tons

At 10d, Erie's Strong Arms have that Useful [Heavy lifting and carrying] ability that gives them the power to lift and carry up to 12.8 tons of material.

At 4d, her Tough, Sexy Body has that Useful [Breast feeding and Milking] ability that she can use to produce up to 400 lbs of milk in one go, which I'm sure can be put to some sort of creative use when needed.

At 8d, her Snake Body's Useful [Quick, sneaky movement] ability can carry her at speeds of up to 256 mph, and her Useful [ovipositor] can produce up to 3.2 tons of eggs in one go.

So yes, like I said, lots of overall power. ;D

ShanaTheIV

Damn, our characters are both literally and figuratively beast. o.o So are both my chars ready for action?

...I wonder if my milk can be used for healing as well...

Kunoichi

Change the descriptor on that useful property and it can.  Something like 'Useful [magical healing breast milk]' would probably work. ^^ But yes, they're both ready for action.

EdwardShane

Well, shoot.  I guess Zenobia isn't quite as strong or sturdy as I was envisioning her being then...at least not yet.  She'll get there with the increasing relationship levels, I'm sure. 

I guess I'll just chalk up that weakening effect to the whole mutagen that got released  o.o  Would explain why she's so miffed about the whole thing, lol

Edit: ....oh dear god, something just clicked.  Based on that chart Zenobia could fire 6.4 tons of poisonous needles in one go at a distance of 1.5 miles away.  That's actually pretty freaking scary.

Idlewyld

Well everyone still has time to edit and update. Many thanks to Kunoichi for being my M&OCT guru!

Kunoichi

Quote from: EdwardShane on August 19, 2014, 04:24:28 PM
Well, shoot.  I guess Zenobia isn't quite as strong or sturdy as I was envisioning her being then...at least not yet.  She'll get there with the increasing relationship levels, I'm sure. 

I guess I'll just chalk up that weakening effect to the whole mutagen that got released  o.o  Would explain why she's so miffed about the whole thing, lol

Edit: ....oh dear god, something just clicked.  Based on that chart Zenobia could fire 6.4 tons of poisonous needles in one go at a distance of 1.5 miles away.  That's actually pretty freaking scary.

That needle tail is a frightening combination of sniper rifle and machine gun, yes. :P

EdwardShane

Quote from: Kunoichi on August 19, 2014, 08:37:09 PM
That needle tail is a frightening combination of sniper rifle and machine gun, yes. :P

Would it be more frightening to know I plan to tack on a few stacks of Area as she gets upgrades? >_<

Kunoichi

xD Well, it will certainly make it even more frightening than before.  I'm guessing you'll be focusing on upgrading the dicepools on some of your other body parts first, though?