Dreaming in the Dark

Started by DJGenXCide, February 10, 2023, 07:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJGenXCide

"Do you know the driving emotion that prevents people from doing whatever they desire at any given time?  Fear.  Fear that the societal norm will be upset, that consequences will have to be paid, that something will be done against you.  Fear will paralyze, will cripple, will prevent you from completing what truly makes you happy.  If you don't fear, anything is possible."

He sat at the table, calmly smoking a cigarette.  She sat across from him, jotting in her notepad while recording the conversation.  Through a series of untraceable dead drops, messages hidden within newspapers, and even a daring direct conversation through the dark web, she had managed to gain a face to face interview with him.  Malakai.

"You are afraid now, sitting there, listening to me.  Knowing that I could just reach out, choke you into unconsciousness, and do whatever I wanted with you.  You think that it can't happen to you, but you and I both know what I am.  I have no fear, for I have control.  Of this situation, of the world, of you.  You'd probably beg me to kill you before I was even warmed up."

Malakai the Malice.  Kai the Killer.  There were so many names, so many monikers assigned to him across the country.  She hadn't seen his face yet, thanks to the Fawkes mask he wore.  He was enjoying himself too much, given the rarity of this meeting.  But she had sought him out, and from here, their relationship would go one of two ways.  Blossoming to fruition, or snipped short to keep playing the game.

"You are free to ask a question, if you wish.  I could continue to monologue, but my ego isn't as fragile as some of my...peers.  That is, of course, if you can control that excitement I can see in your demeanor.  The desire to do something so impulsive with a man who's murdered across the country.  The fear of knowing your life may end in a moment's notice."

(How far down the rabbit hole will you go with a serial killer?  A psychopath who's only drive is to have as much fun as possible before the inevitable end?  Or is the expected inevitable end...not what is expected?  You decide.)