News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Do you want to try system gaming?

Started by HairyHeretic, April 02, 2011, 01:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Zarazel on April 04, 2011, 05:58:44 PM
what exactly is Dresden Files rpg? how is the main book called?

There are only two books, and you can see them both here

http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/

Your Story is the core book, Our World gives you a lot of characters (NPCs) from the Dresden Files novels to work with.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Bloody Rose

mmm yea but what exactly is the rpg about. like wod?

Kunoichi

'The Dresden Files is a series of fantasy/mystery novels written by Jim Butcher. He provides a first person narrative of each story from the point of view of the main character, private investigator and wizard Harry Dresden, as he recounts investigations into supernatural disturbances in modern-day Chicago.'

The Dresden Files RPG is set in the same world, so... ^^;

Bloody Rose

mmm nice I might throw a adventure when I get to read the book

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Zarazel on April 04, 2011, 06:16:32 PM
mmm yea but what exactly is the rpg about. like wod?

Loosely. Dresden Files is an urban fantasy game. The PCs can play wizards, supernaturals of different types, and mortals who know of the supernatural world that exists. Most people don't know about the supernatural elements.

They're an excellent series of books, if you're looking something new to read.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Bloody Rose

hai hai arigatou for the info, I will look forward to downloading the books

HairyHeretic

We also have a game of it running here. If you want to get an idea what it's like, you can read through that.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Eliza

I haven't done a system game before and I'm quite interested have a system for this one game I'm trying to resurrect. If you have time, please take a look at Survival Island.

HairyHeretic

If you want something reasonably simple, maybe the core nWoD rules? I presume none of the characters are supernaturals of any kind?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Eliza on April 04, 2011, 06:35:11 PM
I haven't done a system game before and I'm quite interested have a system for this one game I'm trying to resurrect. If you have time, please take a look at Survival Island.
The system you have in mind looks simple but serviceable. Reminds me of an unholy crossover between BRP, Unknown Armies and Barbarians of Lemuria >:).
I'd be glad to help with whatever I can, although I'd rather use the free Unknown Armies intro ;).
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Eliza

Quote from: HairyHeretic on April 04, 2011, 06:53:14 PM
If you want something reasonably simple, maybe the core nWoD rules? I presume none of the characters are supernaturals of any kind?

All of the characters are your normal, non-supernatural, mortal humans.

Sorry I'm I n00b when it comes to system rules ... what's nWoD? I know D&D, but because it's obvious. I've never played the thing before. I've never rolled a dice on here before either.

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on April 04, 2011, 06:55:28 PM
The system you have in mind looks simple but serviceable. Reminds me of an unholy crossover between BRP, Unknown Armies and Barbarians of Lemuria >:).
I'd be glad to help with whatever I can, although I'd rather use the free Unknown Armies intro ;).

Sure, I'll accept help. Please look at the system that is on the thread I've provided and also the original thread that is linked within the thread I've provided.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Eliza on April 04, 2011, 07:35:19 PM
All of the characters are your normal, non-supernatural, mortal humans.

Sorry I'm I n00b when it comes to system rules ... what's nWoD? I know D&D, but because it's obvious. I've never played the thing before. I've never rolled a dice on here before either.

Sure, I'll accept help. Please look at the system that is on the thread I've provided and also the original thread that is linked within the thread I've provided.
NWoD stands for New World of Darkness, I'm sure you've seen a few threads ;). You only need the "core" book of the system to run a game with mortal humans. Depending on how gritty you want your game, it might be a good fit, or not.

I looked at it before stating that it looks like a mix between those three systems I've read. For the record, I like them all, so it's a compliment ;D!
Sent you a PM with my notes on the proposed system already.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

HairyHeretic

Sorry, I should have written it rather than using the abbreviation. As has been said, it's new World of Darkness (to diferentiate it from Old World of Darkness), one of White Wolfs game lines.

http://www.white-wolf.com/new-world-of-darkness

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Bloody Rose

I just downloaded both books of Dresden Files and I must say I am hooked. So I will soon start a game based on it. Just wanted to ask who is in and who isn't

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Zarazel on April 04, 2011, 08:47:41 PM
I just downloaded both books of Dresden Files and I must say I am hooked. So I will soon start a game based on it. Just wanted to ask who is in and who isn't
I'd just point out that HH is already running such a game ;).
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Bloody Rose

mmm but no idea if he accepts new players.

Thufir Hawat

Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Bloody Rose

MadPanda

Belated reply, but here you go, H2.   ;D

I have a ton of systems, indie and otherwise.  Not quite up to running anything 'normal' right now, but that could change.  I do agree with our resident mentat that anything available for free (or at low cost) is preferable...

(A small sampling of the diversity I offer : The Shadow of Yesterday. Trollbabe, Sorceror, Over the Edge, Castle Falkenstein, Blue Rose, Scion, Random Anime, Big Eyes Small Mouth, Teenagers from Outer Space, Swashbucklers of the Seven Skies, Dead Inside, Truth and Justice, Broken Gears, Unknown Armies, Feng Shui, In Nomine, Mutants and Masterminds 2e, ICONS, Dresden Files RPG, Ironclaw/Jadeclaw, Don't Rest Your Head, Talislanta 4e, WUSHU, Hellcats and Hockeysticks, Panty Explosion, Maid, SWSE, Houses of the Blooded, Blood and Honor, Gangbusters, Dogs in the Vineyard...and while I love JAGS Wonderland for the setting, I don't like the system for beans.)
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

HairyHeretic

Would you consider any of those particularly suitable for people with limited system gaming experience?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Thufir Hawat

The Shadow of Yesterday, Trollbabe, Over the Edge, Unknown Armies, Talislanta 4e and Dresden Files RPG all sound great for new people, albeit new people with different tastes. I have used some of them for this already, and it seems they might work even better for people with freeform experience ;D.

Maybe ICONS, Panty Explosion, Maid, Blood and Honor, or Dogs in the Vineyard, if the person or group is interested in what these games have to offer ;). Panty Explosion, Maid, Blood and Honor all seem like things that are well-suited to E.-appropriate themes :P!
I admit I have a less than limited idea on the other ones MP listed.

MadPanda is indeed the resident panda-sage of indie system knowledge >:)!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

MadPanda

Quote from: HairyHeretic on April 05, 2011, 05:53:20 AM
Would you consider any of those particularly suitable for people with limited system gaming experience?

Most of them, actually...depending on what the people with limited experience want.

Assuming, however, that rules-light and narrativist play work better for players who aren't quite so into the classical TSR approach to play...OTE is a fave, as is Feng Shui.  Blue Rose is a good compromise--crunchy enough but not overwhelming.  To Dresden Files we must add both Starblazers (earlier FATE version space opera) and Spirit of the Century (pulp!).

For romantic comedy, I heartily endorse TFOS...although regrettably nobody ever goes all the way in TFOS.

And of course anything PDQ based: Ninja Burger, Dead Inside, Truth and Justice, Monkey Ninja Pirate Robot, S7S...

In Memory of Bishrook

Kunoichi

Quote from: MadPanda on April 04, 2011, 10:52:40 PM
Feng Shui

:o Now there's a system I've been wanting to try for a while...

MadPanda

Equal Opportunity Butt Kicking.   ;D

In Memory of Bishrook

Kunoichi

Indeed. ;D And the best part about the system is that character generation is so quick and easy...