R.I.P Twinkies

Started by Callie Del Noire, November 16, 2012, 09:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

It means 'baby' in Italian, but nothing in Spanish (which is only relevant because they tend to market in areas with a high Hispanic population).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lux12

That's odd.Why would they have a company name that means nothing?

Oniya

Does 'Folgers' mean anything?  or 'Reebok'?  At least it didn't mean 'bite the wax tadpole'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Lux12

Quote from: Oniya on November 19, 2012, 12:12:25 PM
Does 'Folgers' mean anything?  or 'Reebok'?  At least it didn't mean 'bite the wax tadpole'.

Folgers is a last name so yes. Reedbok was apparently actually found by the creator in a dictionary so that also has one. The real problem here is that words and their meanings do not cross perfectly over into others.

LunarSage

Quote from: Oniya on November 19, 2012, 12:12:25 PM
At least it didn't mean 'bite the wax tadpole'.

Coca Cola, right?

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Oniya

As the urban legend goes.  ;)  Then there was the stunning mistranslation (also probably legendary) of 'Coca Cola adds life' into 'Coca Cola brings your ancestors back from the grave' - not a big seller in a region that still practices ancestor veneration.

And the Chevy no va* - funny how that doesn't work in Spanish speaking areas.

Oniya

Apologies for a double post, but I just got this through one of my feeds:

Hostess, maker of Twinkies, seeks permission to pay manager bonuses

QuoteIn seeking court permission for its demise, Hostess said it wants to pay as much as $1.75 million in incentive bonuses to 19 senior managers during the liquidation.

I might be hallucinating, but doesn't 'getting an incentive' usually mean you did something other than failing big time?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Oniya on November 19, 2012, 04:51:35 PM

I might be hallucinating, but doesn't 'getting an incentive' usually mean you did something other than failing big time?

Well, they bravely and successfully stood up in the face of unreasonable union bullying, didn't they? Heroically shutting the doors of their company rather than allow workers to keep their current salaries is clearly worthy of recognition.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Oniya on November 19, 2012, 04:51:35 PM

Welcome to big business, where reality rarely intrudes on profit mongering.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Major Major

Quote from: Lux12 on November 19, 2012, 12:15:52 PM
Folgers is a last name so yes. Reedbok was apparently actually found by the creator in a dictionary so that also has one. The real problem here is that words and their meanings do not cross perfectly over into others.

Isn't "Reebok" an Afrikaans word for some breed of Antelope?

Oniya

-__-  Apparently so.

Exxon.  Exxon has absolutely no translatable meaning.

Saerrael

Quote from: Major Major on November 27, 2012, 10:41:52 PM
Isn't "Reebok" an Afrikaans word for some breed of Antelope?

No, it's Dutch >.>

http://vroegevogels.vara.nl/Video.742.0.html?&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=361455&cHash=6ece6ce1a97caa8acc7d225c2fe273f8

Oniya

Quote from: Saerra on November 27, 2012, 10:54:43 PM
No, it's Dutch >.>

http://vroegevogels.vara.nl/Video.742.0.html?&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=361455&cHash=6ece6ce1a97caa8acc7d225c2fe273f8

Linguistically, Afrikaans and Dutch are rather similar.  It came from the 17th century Dutch settlers of the Cape area.

Saerrael

Quote from: Oniya on November 27, 2012, 10:57:19 PM
Linguistically, Afrikaans and Dutch are rather similar.  It came from the 17th century Dutch settlers of the Cape area.

Which makes it Dutch and not Afrikaans.

Ree = deer
Bok = male (of deer-like families)

I'm not a 'proud, Dutch person', by the way, but I do know my native tongue. *nodnods*

Oniya

Merf.  It means something somewhere, which made it unsuitable as an example of a company name that didn't mean anything.

Saerrael

I had to feed the StoreHouse... *blushes and runs away*

Oniya

queridoor

I have never had a twinkie.
And now I guess I never will.
I loved HoHos, though! ;-;

Chris Brady

My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

LunarSage

So I just bought what seems to be a new Little Debbie product... "Cloud Cakes."

I have to admit, they do taste exactly like a Twinkie.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

CriminalMindsFan

I've been trying some Little Debbie products for the first time since Hostess went away. Can't really tell difference except for the prices.

Trieste

Turns out that this is what the Mayans predicted. >.>

Funguy81

I WANT MY TWINKIES!!!!!!

Yes, yes. I know its childish, but I had to say it. I actually seen someone try to sell a box of twinkies on Ebay for over 100 dollars.

Oniya

Was that the asking price, or what the bids were up to?

Funguy81

I can't remember, but I think its the asking price. It still would not surprise me considering the other things that I heard, read, or seen sold successfully in Ebay.