Hard drive dying

Started by Sybl, October 03, 2016, 12:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sybl

When my HP Pavilion does the monthly diagnostic test my hard drive fails. I have a 9.6 GB Hard drive. I have 852 GB free.

Where can I find a replacement for my Hard drive? I have no idea how to change it. I am not techie smart. I went to back up my computers files and there was an error message that says no previous back ups were found I have done it before, so I am puzzled not knowing what I should do. My computer is a refurbished and I have had it since 2008.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thesunmaid

Honestly for this kind of thing I would recommend looking up some local computer shops since they would be able to get you the laptop hard drive and probably install it for you as well as they may be able to get the information off the old hard drive.

Or if you might need a newer computer they could probably look into getting you another refurbished laptop. I try to avoid the big box stores because they try and sell you a lot of things you don't need.(they did with my mother until I walked up and chewed them out for it..imagine trying to sell a 65 year old woman a gaming system that cost almost 1700 dollars telling her she needed all this.)All we needed was a bigger hard drive.

I wish I could recommend my local shop. They are pretty wonderful when I really want to get something in the store or I will order it online.
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: Caught up (holy shit) Current Status for RP:looking for a few

AmberStarfire

If it seems like it's going to fail, you might be wise to back up everything important while you still can. A portable hard drive is usually the best option.

You should be able to run memory tests and scan the disk drive through Windows. (What version do you have?)

As for the hard drive, in order for everything to run as it ought to, you should ideally have 10 to 15% of your drive capacity left free. If you fill it up, your computer will slow down.

I'd say run some more scans and fix any bad sectors on the disks in your scans, and it might solve the problem.

Fenirus

Hard drives can be fairly cheap (not quality wise) if you go somewhere that carries a lot of them.  I would recommend Staples myself.
The most important thing to do before you buy one though if to know what you have and how it connects.  Changing the drive out isn't too hard though, just looks tough.  I'd say if you have a friend you trust with your computer they should be able to take care of it quickly and if you take the drive into the store someone there can help you get the right one as well as a case to put the old one in to save your files. 

Sybl

Quote from: Thesunmaid on October 04, 2016, 07:59:08 PM
Honestly for this kind of thing I would recommend looking up some local computer shops since they would be able to get you the laptop hard drive and probably install it for you as well as they may be able to get the information off the old hard drive.

Or if you might need a newer computer they could probably look into getting you another refurbished laptop. I try to avoid the big box stores because they try and sell you a lot of things you don't need.(they did with my mother until I walked up and chewed them out for it..imagine trying to sell a 65 year old woman a gaming system that cost almost 1700 dollars telling her she needed all this.)All we needed was a bigger hard drive.

I wish I could recommend my local shop. They are pretty wonderful when I really want to get something in the store or I will order it online.

Thank you! I will definitely check around to see if there is a computer shop in my area. I don't have a laptop, I have a desktop. I don't think I need a 960 GB hard drive again as I have a lot of space on this one and mega files of fractals and music on it. Have been saving as much as I can on flash drives.

Sybl

Quote from: AmberStarfire on October 04, 2016, 08:16:00 PM
If it seems like it's going to fail, you might be wise to back up everything important while you still can. A portable hard drive is usually the best option.

You should be able to run memory tests and scan the disk drive through Windows. (What version do you have?)

As for the hard drive, in order for everything to run as it ought to, you should ideally have 10 to 15% of your drive capacity left free. If you fill it up, your computer will slow down.

I'd say run some more scans and fix any bad sectors on the disks in your scans, and it might solve the problem.

Hello AmberStarfire,

I have Windows 7 professional. My hard drive is roughly 10% or less filled. Back up is giving me problems. It doesn't want to work, or can't for some reason. I have tried a few times so far. I will definitely run more scans and fix what can be fixed. Thank you for your help, too.

Sybl

Quote from: Fenirus on October 10, 2016, 12:07:29 PM
Hard drives can be fairly cheap (not quality wise) if you go somewhere that carries a lot of them.  I would recommend Staples myself.
The most important thing to do before you buy one though if to know what you have and how it connects.  Changing the drive out isn't too hard though, just looks tough.  I'd say if you have a friend you trust with your computer they should be able to take care of it quickly and if you take the drive into the store someone there can help you get the right one as well as a case to put the old one in to save your files. 

Thank you Fenirus for your suggestions. I do have a friend who knows his way around computers. I also have a Staples less than a mile from where I live.

I truly appreciate all three of you for helping me out.

:-)

Oniya

Quote from: Sybl on October 11, 2016, 05:08:24 AM
Thank you! I will definitely check around to see if there is a computer shop in my area. I don't have a laptop, I have a desktop. I don't think I need a 960 GB hard drive again as I have a lot of space on this one and mega files of fractals and music on it. Have been saving as much as I can on flash drives.

Just as a comment, in my years of having a computer (dating back to when AOL came on a floppy disk), every time I've upgraded, I've ended up with a larger drive.  Not because I needed it, but because the smallest new one available was larger than my old one.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sybl

Quote from: Oniya on October 11, 2016, 10:02:11 AM
Just as a comment, in my years of having a computer (dating back to when AOL came on a floppy disk), every time I've upgraded, I've ended up with a larger drive.  Not because I needed it, but because the smallest new one available was larger than my old one.

:D Yes Oniya, I do agree. My old one was only an 80 GB and the one I have now is mega huge. 960 GB, I mean really, if I was a scientist, maybe, I just laugh that with all the files I have on it, the blue used bar is about 1/4 inch or less and the white is the length of my screen.