WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

One tip (heh) on keeping your glue bottle free-flowing - get a simple straight pin and use it to clear the nozzle before and after you use it.  Some brands have such a thing built into the cap already.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beorning

Good idea, thanks!

Here's another question: the average size of the army. What is it: 1000 points? 2000 points?

As I said, my AS army amounts to 1000 points (more or less), so I'm wondering whether it's adequate or not.

TheGlyphstone

Games are generally played at either the 1000, 1500, or 2000 point level. 2000+ are rare but possible, and generally involve Superheavy vehicles and Titans.

CountessJess

Generally speaking sisters excel (hurrr, not really) around 1000 and slightly higher. If you ever decide to go anywhere higher try allying with some Guard or Spess Muhreens, you'll need it.

Beorning

Hey, Countess, are you're here, I have an AS-related question: how do I get a Sororitas Rhino? Was it a separate model, or some just modification?

CountessJess

Mine are all just space marine kits covered with the leftover iconography from the exorcist - you should have a lot. AFAIK the AS immolator kit was also supposed to be a Rhino kit but those were difficult to find five years ago, much less now.

Beorning

Quote from: CountessJess on August 04, 2016, 12:34:46 PM
Mine are all just space marine kits covered with the leftover iconography from the exorcist - you should have a lot. AFAIK the AS immolator kit was also supposed to be a Rhino kit but those were difficult to find five years ago, much less now.

I see. Didn't you consider buying the replacement doors and front plate from Forge World? They *are* costly, admittedly...

CountessJess

There's so much left over from the Exorcist kit, I thought I might as well use it. Parts of it are from the Immolator kit in any case, so you get a ton more than you need tobuild the missile organ.

Beorning

*looks through the Exorcist kit*

Yeah, you're right. These extra parts should be enough. And if anything, I'm not rich enough to pay 13 pounds for three pieces of plastic...

BTW. What's the composition of your AS army? Are you using the Celestians, the Dominions and the Retributors?

CountessJess

My army is a codex behind, but I'm playing Saint Celestine, jump pack canoness (eviscerator+meltabombs), three squads of ten sisters (melta+flamer+rhino), three squads of five seraphim (meltabombs, inferno pistol superior), three exorcists. Around 1250 points iirc. Going any higher I'd drop an exorcist for three leman russ tanks and some guardsmen to hold objectives.

I find Celestians and Retributors a bit unnecessary. Celestians don't do anything much better than normal line sisters, and back then retributors jostled with exorcists for the 3 heavy support slot. Dominions require immolators to be good and I didn't feel like shelling out for those, but afaik 'competitive' sisters lists nowadays play dominions in immolators to great effect. I don't really play nowadays.

Beorning

My current army is:

• Saint Celestine
  • Canoness with a command squad (three Celestians + Dialogus + Celestian with a banner)
  • three squads of six Sisters (Superior + three bolter Sisters + one Sister with storm bolter / flamer / melta + one Sister with heavy bolter / heavy flamer / multi-melta)
  • one squad of five Seraphim (three bolters + two flamers)
  • six Repentias with a Sister
  • Penitent Engine
  • Exorcist

Somehow, it amounts to 1000 points.

I plan on adding a Rhino and, maybe, a few more Sisters...

CountessJess

Well, I haven't played any games recently, but here's my two cents worth.

- Saint Celestine is great.
- Canoness in a shooty squad is a bit meh in my opinion, but if you're running her naked as your HQ choice I guess it's alright. You might want to stick special weapons on the Celestians because they're a cheap way to bulk on meltas.
- Make your sister squads larger if possible, they're pretty flimsy compared to what's running around nowadays. Storm bolters are bad. Heavy Bolters not good on sisters because they can't move and shoot with them. Rhinos if possible - both for protection and mobility.
- Seraphim are okay. Not quite what they used to be, but still strong. Take meltabombs if you still can.
- Repentia at least need some form of transport, Rhino at least. If not they'll get shot to pieces walking before they can get to anything, especially a small squad like that. Once they do, oh boy. But you need some form of delivery.
- Idk about how good Penitent Engines are right now. Low AV walkers with open topped never appealed to me, but I think they've made them tougher since I last tried them.
- Exorcist is always good.

Beorning

I decided to add a Rhino specifically because of the Repentia Squad. And I think I'll be adding three more Repentias to make the squad a bit larger.

Adding special weapons to the Celestians... hm. Which of the special / heavy weapons are the best, then? Let's say I can take only three of the six.

CountessJess

Honestly if you're going Rhinos that single Rhino is going to die really easily because it's your only big single vehicle target (ideally your exorcist will always be sitting at max range far away so it won't be shot at). While it's a vehicle, it's also 11/11/10, which is about as flimsy as it gets. Unlike a land raider you can't just let it absorb fire, and it's too big to hide. You need to get a few Rhinos for the investment in transports to really pay off. Otherwise you'd probably just lose said Rhino in the first/second round of shooting, and having moved flat out your Repentia will be stuck in the middle of nowhere, ready to be shot up.

When in doubt about special/heavy weapons, get meltas. Otherwise it depends on your meta. I would recommend meltas or heavy flamers if you're not sure.

Beorning

Quote from: CountessJess on August 04, 2016, 03:22:25 PM
Honestly if you're going Rhinos that single Rhino is going to die really easily because it's your only big single vehicle target (ideally your exorcist will always be sitting at max range far away so it won't be shot at). While it's a vehicle, it's also 11/11/10, which is about as flimsy as it gets. Unlike a land raider you can't just let it absorb fire, and it's too big to hide. You need to get a few Rhinos for the investment in transports to really pay off. Otherwise you'd probably just lose said Rhino in the first/second round of shooting, and having moved flat out your Repentia will be stuck in the middle of nowhere, ready to be shot up.

Well, I definitely can't afford a few Rhinos right now... We'll see.

When in doubt about special/heavy weapons, get meltas. Otherwise it depends on your meta. I would recommend meltas or heavy flamers if you're not sure.

You said that storm bolters are bad... why? And what about heavy bolters?

CountessJess

QuoteWell, I definitely can't afford a few Rhinos right now... We'll see.

Yeah, I guess...that's basically 40k in a nutshell, haha.

QuoteYou said that storm bolters are bad... why? And what about heavy bolters?

Storm bolters aren't bad per se, they're just underwhelming compared to the other options. Heavy Bolters aren't good in normal sister squads because you can't move and shoot heavy bolters, which is bad when sisters generally want to sit between 1" and 12" to take advantage of rapid fire bolters, so they need to reposition often. That being said, if you want a fairly effective fire base you could put your Celestian squad with all heavy bolters, that would work. If the current rules allow that, of course.

Beorning

Okay, thanks for all the advice! I think I know everything I need to know to finish completing my AS army :)

(of course, owning a boxed army is different to having one that's play-ready. Damn painting! If it only didn't take so much time...)

Anyway, once the AS army is complete, I'll be able to switch to buying more Dark Eldar stuff :)

Doomsday

Played my Skitarii friend tonight and now I'm really, REALLY tempted to ally my SW with some combo of Skitarii or Cult Mechanicus. She was shredding me in the shooting phase with those Canticles.

Wajin

Quote from: Doomsday on August 04, 2016, 09:43:34 PM
Played my Skitarii friend tonight and now I'm really, REALLY tempted to ally my SW with some combo of Skitarii or Cult Mechanicus. She was shredding me in the shooting phase with those Canticles.

^ Literally this but with my Salamanders instead of Space Wolves, and my Tau getting fucked by bad dice
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

HairyHeretic

So, anyone been looking at the new Deathwatch stuff that's coming? I've seen a few preview pics, and one piece of text I found quite interesting, regarding the Deathwatch Blackshields. It all but says they could include 'time lost' loyalists from the Heresy era Traitor Legions, which I must admit appeals to me. If they turn out to be relatively cheap to build, I may just start an army of Blackshields.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Warlock

Beorning

You know, I have a small lore-related question...

I know that in the WH40K-verse, if you kill a daemon in the realspace, it just reintegrates in the Warp. Soooo... what happens if you kill a daemon in the Warp? Is it dead, or just disperses, too?

TheGlyphstone

Datum entry invalid - no one's ever managed to kill a demon in the warp, or for that matter survive for more than a few seconds unprotected in the Warp. Also, Kaldor Draigo doesn't exist.

CountessJess

What are you talking about, of course Kaldor Draigo exists, and he's the bestest ever. He killed a bloodthirster in the warp and used his weapon to make a new super cool sword that didn't taint him because he was so pure. Then he burned down Nurgle's garden, killed a bunch of daemonettes in Slaanesh's home, and locked up a Lord of Change in Tzeentch's Maze. And he did all this in the Realm of Chaos and remained pure because he's a loyal servant of the Emperor. Also now all the daemons are scared of him and don't dare fight him.

But to answer your question, if you kill a daemon in the warp they also just get respawned. They are mostly manifestations of the will of the Chaos Gods, after all. You can't kill the will of the Chaos Gods.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: CountessJess on August 11, 2016, 12:23:27 PM

But to answer your question, if you kill a daemon in the warp they also just get respawned. They are mostly manifestations of the will of the Chaos Gods, after all. You can't kill the will of the Chaos Gods.

Well, except that you can kill demons in realspace with certain specific psychic abilities, like Holocaust.