Time's Little Blue Box Discussion!

Started by Greenthorn, February 07, 2009, 12:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenthorn

Okay, I'd like to start a discussion about some things I read in Time magazine...mostly in what I call it's little blue box.  Here's the current topic:

What They're Banning in Tuscany:

The city council of Lucca which is in Italy's Tuscany region just passed rules denying licenses to new non-Italian restaurants in the town center.  The City Leaders say that this is being done to try to safeguard Lucca's traditional cultural identitiy.

I say it's a good step, although quite discriminating against other ethnic foods.  Do they have a right to ban things like McDonald's or any random Chinese take out place?  I'm not sure.  What do -you- think?

Inkidu

Oh most certainly they have the right. I'm not familiar with Italian commercial law but I'm pretty sure that they just ban the franchise rights. Now is it good for their economy. That depends on the people I suppose, but rule of thumb is yes. They have a right to protect their cultural identity.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Creeper

They're obviously inconveniencing some people, but the fact that it only new and located in the town center restaurants than I don't see to much problem with it.
Ons and Offs, yo: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4370.0

Too tired to post Wednesday night. Posts on Thursday!

Greenthorn

Well, see my question is...couldn't they possibly lose money?  By only allowing Italian food restaurants...there is no diversity plus add in the fact that the restaurants will have to constantly compete with each other since they will be offering the same ethnic foods.

I think it's a nice statement...but a horrible economic stand.

Ket

From doing a quick Google search of the city, it looks to be very old, steeped in history, and surrounded by a wall that dates back to the Renaissance Era. So I'm guessing that they wouldn't be allowing chain restaurants within the boundaries of that wall.  And personally, I like that idea. 

Do a Google image search of Lucca, Italy.  Would you want to mar that beauty with blaring neon signs? 
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

WyldRanger

Personally, I don't see any reason that they can't set aside at least part of their city to keep the heritage and cultural scene intact. Besides who wants to go to a foreign city and see everything that they see just walking out of their own house?

Oniya

I believe certain historical parts of some American cities have some sort of similar thing going.  I don't recall seeing McDonalds blatantly visible in Salem, Mass when I visited, for example, or in the historic districts of Williamsburg, VA.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

OldSchoolGamer

Over small areas like a few historical city blocks, I think it's fine.

It's when "cultural identity" protection becomes protectionism that it should be opposed.

consortium11

As has been mentioned the logic behind this decision was that Kebab vans and the the tacky looking cheap Chinese stalls were showing up in a very historic and beautiful area. On that basis I can see the logic behind the move.

On the other hand, there's a darker side to this. The people who put that decision forward are pretty much all part of the Northen League, which treads a very fine line between "protecting Italien Culture" and outright xenophobia. They're very anti-Islam (oppose mosques being built in cities) and anti-Immigrant. The law is also fairly confused: French food doesn't count as "ethnic" and thus would be allowed, but Sicilian food is "ethnic" and barred (apparently based on the logic that it's been influenced by "Arab" cooking... which should mean that Oranges and Lemons should also be banned...). In addition, one of the reasons given was that immigrant Kebab workers were willing to put in long hours and that was unfair to locals (who apparently aren't willing to put in the hours)... which is a pretty terrible arguement.

Greenthorn

Well, what about a high class restaurant that serves Italian -and- American/French/Chinese (get my point?) cuisine?  I can understand not wanting chain retaurants (McDonald's) but really...

Let's go out for dinner!

What should we get?

Ummm...well...Italian I guess...

Which restaurant?

Ummm...well...pick one, they all serve the same thing!

*shrugs*

Bad economic decision methinks.