Am I allowed to do this? (A question for mods and the experienced)

Started by klamity, September 14, 2011, 09:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klamity

As we may all have experienced in our time on E, some threads simply become inactive. I however still like the settings or characters. I've toyed with the idea of having a thread where I ask if people would like to 'Adopt a thread' in some manner.

My issue with this is I have an inkling feeling this may break a rule somehow. I have checked the rules and there is nothing again this, but I still want a mods say on my idea. What I believe this would be doing is something to deal with bumping: after all, a lot of the threads have been inactive for over a month.

I know this request isnt the best formed, but its just a check to keep me covered. I hate getting it trouble ^^;

Avis habilis

You mean offer up a thread for other people to take charge of the characters & continue the story?

You would definitely want to get agreement from all the other people involved beforehand. After all, every game is a shared property, so you couldn't just hand over a partner's character to be played by someone else.

klamity

Alright. I have tried contacting most of them after the they never replied, and never got a PM back.

If I offered a PM (this will be a tl;dr version) of 'Im putting our old thread up for adoption, speak now or forever hold your peace'. Would that be acceptable?

Also, in one case the other person was banned: same deal or different story?

Avis habilis

If it were me, I wouldn't do it without explicit permission from the other person. The rule, if any, that deals with this may be obscure, but it's still only good manners not to give away other people's stuff.

Same deal with the banned person. Banned or not, they still own the character, so without permission I'd leave it alone.

Lilias

We used to have a thread where we dropped ideas that for whatever reason we couldn't take up ourselves, for others to pick up. You can always put up the same plot ideas on your request thread, with a link to the original games, and say that people can help themselves (to the plot, not the actual thread or characters).
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

I think what it comes down to is that the parts you created (your character, your plot, even incorporate the history if you want) are yours to do with as you please.  The bits that are someone else's (their character, their plot - if you had started this in response to their 'wanted' posting) would need permission to use them.

For example, if I start a story with someone where they are a patron of my violinist and turn my character into a vampire, and then the story drops - I could still use my now-vampiric violinist, but I'd have to solicit a new patron.  That new patron may or may not be a vampire, but the events played out in the previous story wouldn't be part of their shared history.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

GothicFires

It took me a few tries to try to figure out what you are saying. If this is a story you are participating in and your partner disappears from a story you want someone to pick up the character where they have left off. (at least this is how i am interpreting it).

There is nothing wrong with this, if someone is willing to pick up the story. Personally I have been second person in a three person chain playing a character that a player really enjoyed the story for.

However your problem may be in finding someone willing to pick up a character that someone else has established the personality for.  My personal suggestion is to throw the idea back out there for a new partner to start from scratch. I've done this many times. In fact one game I am playing now is in its third incarnation and different from the other two in a good way, but I still have a more developed plot line from my previous two tries.

Out of politeness though, I would verify with the previous partner that they are in fact finished with the game.
looking for new games
discord: Agara#3507

Elina

Keep in mind that some games are just slow.  I have one partner who seems to post every 5 months or so.  I also have had games that are on hold with every intention to eventually return to them.