News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Work Culture: Good or Bad?

Started by mookestink, October 22, 2014, 07:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caehlim

As a culture, we're still trying to figure out how to deal with the fact that science and technology means we need a few tiny percentage of our population to work. We talk about contributing, but frankly, only about 5% of the workforce actually contribute anything required to the survival of mankind. Most jobs in the present day, exist simply circulating luxurious excesses amongst one another or to persuade us to use one particular luxury rather than another. It's only because our economic system is so badly designed that it collapses if money ever stops changing hands long enough for us to realize that it isn't actually worth anything, that we "need" people to work.

Quote from: roulette on October 24, 2014, 06:23:58 PM
Because if I'm not, I'm a leech. I'm not contributing anything.

No more so than any stock-trader, investor or anyone living off inherited funds.

QuoteA work culture that encouraged everyone to offer what they can, and helped embrace the unique needs and talents of each individual — rather than demanding just a few types of people and essentially condemning anyone who doesn't fit the mold — would be a much better world, I think.

I agree.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Apple of Eris

I don't mind work culture, but I think work culture in the USA has gone berserk. People who legitimately need assistance are often vilified by pundits (labeled as takers, not makers), and politicians. And of course woe to the long term unemployed, if they reject a lower paying job so they can still collect unemployment (which may pay more than the job) their chances of finding a new job decrease, which keeps them on unemployment longer, and once that runs out...

Also in the United States, you're given not much in the way of Vacation or PTO, and are often made to feel rather crappy when you use it, which is rather different than cultures where vacation is and time off is a requirement. And don't get started on sick time, some states don't require companies to offer sick days or pto, or if a worker calls out, can use those call outs against the employee in future disciplinary action. Not only is this harmful to the employee, it actually increases the chances that the employee will spread whatever illness they have to other employees or customers (if in the service industry).

I'm not against a system that requires the able bodied to do some kind of work when they are able, but there should be a system to allow those that can not legitimately find work to collect welfare in return for some sort of civil service which would guarantee at least a minimum living wage (rent, food assistance if needed, basic healthcare). Also there should be mandatory sick and vacation days for all employees nation wide as in (correct me if I'm wrong) but the vast majority of other first world nations, not a patchwork of state rules.
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking