News:

Main Menu

The Eclipse

Started by Vekseid, August 22, 2017, 08:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

This was 11:34 AM.

Like every annular and significant partial eclipse, the world noticeably fades and cools beforehand. It gets eerily dark even though one cannot tell the Sun itself has dimmed. The only clue is in the shadows made by dense leaves - the sun's reflection off of water and metal does not appear to change.

Then, in seconds, the day collapses into twilight. The Sun winks out, revoking the last of its warmth. Birds make their final, confused chirps before going silent. The wind changes, and every horizon glows like sunset.

I do not know if there is a word to describe the alien emotion that accompanies this moment. A sense that reality has transformed.

Above the twilight is a sort of not-quite night, illuminated by the ring of white flames surrounding the hole in the sky. The Morning Star proudly shows herself just before noon, alongside the brightest stars from a night half a year removed.

A couple minutes later, the purest, most brilliant point of light shows itself. The wise look away immediately.

The chill brought on by totality lingers for several minutes after, during the eerie darkness that lingers while much of the Sun remains obscured. As if another reminder of what just transpired is needed.

Oreo

So beautiful. I am now wishing we had decided to go. The spot you found to watch the eclipse looks beautiful as well.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Muse

You said that brilliantly my friend.  It's exactly the emotions and experiences that took me almost 30 years ago in Baja California when my family went to see the eclipse on an empty stretch of beach.   

Just before totality, on the brilliant white sand that had taken on the slightest hint of beige from the dimming light, i saw shadow-bands dancing over the land.  It was like the ripples of light at the bottom of a pool or fountain, but reversed. 

I've had a beautiful time this month, but I really wish i could have seen totality that day. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

CrownedSun

That was so beautiful. XD Thanks for sharing, Veks.

Vekseid

Quote from: Oreo on August 22, 2017, 08:20:01 PM
So beautiful. I am now wishing we had decided to go. The spot you found to watch the eclipse looks beautiful as well.

Am not planning on missing the one in 2024 and you shouldn't either! : )

midnightblack

You made me think back to my own journey in 1999, when I was too young to properly appreciate the magic of the event. But at least it was a nice family time, one of the few that I can remember. 

Oh well, guess who's going to Iceland in 2026.  ::)

The Midnight Lodge (O2 thread & completed tales compendium)
Thy Nightly Chambers (requests) updated!
Amazonia Mythos (world-building details for some of my recurring themes and characters; can always serve as a starting point for discussions of collaborative writing)
Zerzura (albeit short, the best collaborative story I've ever completed here)

Candlelight

This is so nice  :-) I didn't watch the eclipse - I was concerned for my dog, so I kept him occupied inside so he didn't feel the need to go to the backyard (the eclipse was over our backyard for a few hours, so...) I can remember a solar eclipse from when I was much younger, though, so I just needed to sit back and remember that one. This post makes me wish I'd paid attention for myself, though...
♥︎♥︎♥︎

Amaris

Very beautifully said! Totally encompassed how I felt in that moment. So hard to describe but you did it perfectly. Thank you :)

Ket

Quote from: Vekseid on August 23, 2017, 09:00:44 AM
Am not planning on missing the one in 2024 and you shouldn't either! : )

I'm directly in the path of totality for 2024, come visit!
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.