Magic School Adventures [Dungeon World] (LGBT Friendly, all welcome) (CLOSED)

Started by eternaldarkness, January 13, 2015, 07:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlamingAce242

I'm still here, but I'm gonna need help with making the sheet and the system. Once I get the hang of it it all should be easy though.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: FlamingAce242 on February 10, 2015, 04:54:28 PM
I'm still here, but I'm gonna need help with making the sheet and the system. Once I get the hang of it it all should be easy though.

Both the system and the sheet are super easy. All character creation info is right there on the class playbook you're playing. Just follow the instructions top to bottom and you can't go wrong.

Zeth

If I join as a bard, would I be the butt of "You Spoony Bard!" memes and jokes?

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Zeth on February 12, 2015, 10:18:16 PM
If I join as a bard, would I be the butt of "You Spoony Bard!" memes and jokes?

Pretty much guaranteed.

AndyZ

Could I get a list of everything grabbed so far?  Is Wizard open?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

eternaldarkness

Interdiction of words

Greetings, I am interested in your idea and it has been some time since I played a system like this. Any spot currently open?
Posts are currently: Medium
Darn work and school is getting in the way. I will get posts out as fast as I can but it is going to be hard on me as for you.

Oh my, I haven't posted on our thread? PM me or check out my A&A

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Interdiction of words on February 13, 2015, 10:17:39 AM
Greetings, I am interested in your idea and it has been some time since I played a system like this. Any spot currently open?

There is a spot open, because there is no limit on the number of said spots :)

Interdiction of words

Darn work and school is getting in the way. I will get posts out as fast as I can but it is going to be hard on me as for you.

eternaldarkness

Interdiction of words

eternaldarkness

It occurs to me that people are seriously overthinking the mechanics side of making a Dungeon World character. Like, multiple people have asked a ton of questions about mechanically optimal choices, faster ways to make a sheet, etc. And I have to say: if Dungeon World is too hard/takes too long for you to make on the mechanical end of things, you are not the player I want. I do not say this to be mean. I say this because it is exactly as simple as 'say what you're doing, roll 2d6+relevant trait, DM/the move gives results'. The only wrinkle is if you don't know what to roll for an action (Hint: it's always a basic move or class move, and you can't pick the wrong move), in which case the GM (that's me) might roll for you to keep things moving. Most scenes you won't have to roll at all, unless you, a gm, or another player intiates dice actions or something clearly calls for a move to be used.

In summary: Don't think too hard about it. Pick a playbook, assign ability scores, pick starting moves, pick equipment, and go. You do not need a ten-page backstory. A paragraph or two will do. We want to have some room for us (all of us, players included) to make stuff up as we go along; that's what Dungeon World is all about.

In scenes where players are interacting and no GM is necessarily paying attention, you can roll and make things up as-needed (though until the cast grows I won't have any trouble adjudicating most every scene). This is improv roleplay with a light rules structure to direct the narrative, not a rigid dungeon crawl (though there will be some dungeon crawling).
Now get me my PC's!

Zeth

FlamingAce242

What level is everyone starting at? Just cause I don't wanna be too,powerful,or too weak,levelwise

eternaldarkness

Quote from: FlamingAce242 on February 14, 2015, 07:20:32 PM
What level is everyone starting at? Just cause I don't wanna be too,powerful,or too weak,levelwise

Depends on whether you're a brand-new first-year student or you've been at the school a while, and whether or not you're staff. Keep in mind that in DungeoN World, a level difference will not hugely disadvantage you like it will in other systems due to the games highly narrative nature.

Remember, if something isn't specified by me or otherwise set in stone, that means you can make it up. I know it's a strange paradigm to get used to if you come from other systems or game, but you CAN make shit up without asking, so long as it fits the collective narrative and doesn't contradict any other established fac. And actually, contradicting what someone else said is okay too...that just leaves people to wonder if someone was mistaken, misinformed or lying, and the magical world is a big place - a mage from one place might not know the same things as a mage from other places, and information gets filtered through the distorting funhouse-mirror lenses of culture and personal belief, not to mention that places where a lot of magic gets used tend to have a very strange relationship with little things like the laws of physics and linear time. So...if you contradict what someone else said, you and the other person might be right, even if it was the exact same event at the exact same time being remembered. And that's assuming someone hasn't deliberately altered the event retroactively. Here's a little tidbit i'll throw you guys: Magic-users and magical creatures are aware that Deja Vu is what happens when reality or one of their personal memories has been edited. It may not be malicious - reality edits and warps happen naturally all the time. Or it could be....

Students who are first-years start as level 1 characters. Older students (second through seventh year) start at a level equal to the year of schooling they are in.
Staff Members are always at least ninth level.

Characters that reach 11th level function as described on page 31 of the Dungeon World corebook, with the addition of the option to continue playing at level 10 indefinitely, and may choose any of the other three options (retirement, taking an apprentice, or starting a new class) at any time afterward. Characters who choose to start advancing in a new class function exactly as mentioned in the corebook, with the clarification that you may choose only three moves to keep from your previous class.

Other cast members from other classes are also welcome, just make sure they have a reason to be at the Cloud School or the nearby town.

FlamingAce242

I'll be a noob at lv1. Gimme a sec to create my char. This will be the system stuff, I'll make the actual character later. Correct me if I'm wrong anywhere

FlamingAce242

My Character Sheet
Name: Daelwyn
Look: Mischevious Eyes, Deep Hood, Dark Vestaments, Lithe Body

Str: 9
Dex: 15
Con: 13
Int: 16
Wis: 12
Cha: 8

Damage: D4
Armour: 0
Health: 18

Drive: Subterfuge
Origin: Performer
Bonds: [Will put in once I know who my friends are]

Starting Moves:
String Marionette
Timber Guardian
Construction and Repairs
Climb a Tree
Set a Perimeter

Advanced Moves:
None

Expert Moves:
None

Gear:
Dungeon Rations (5 uses, 1 weight)
A Bundle of Tools and Spare Parts (Slow, 1 weight)
Two Healing Potions
Throwing Daggers (Thrown, Near, 3 ammo, 1 weight)

Puppet

Name: Tusk
Body: Dark

Damage: 2
Weight: 6
Break Points: 7

Build: Guardian (Large)
Can fit a creature one size lower within the torso
2 fitted weapons, +2 damage

eternaldarkness

Quote from: FlamingAce242 on February 14, 2015, 08:28:38 PM
I'll be a noob at lv1. Gimme a sec to create my char. This will be the system stuff, I'll make the actual character later. Correct me if I'm wrong anywhere

You did great. I'll take the format you used and code it up for everyone tonight.

FlamingAce242

eternaldarkness

A bit late, but here's the sheet. Feel free to add an image and as much background as you want.

[spoiler=My Name Here]
[b]Playbook:[/b]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Look: [/b]

[b]Str:[/b]
[b]Dex:[/b]
[b]Con:[/b]
[b]Int:[/b]
[b]Wis:[/b]
[b]Cha:[/b]

[b]Damage: [/b]
[b]Armour: [/b]
[b]Health: [/b]

[b]Alignment:[/b]

[b]Race:[/b]

[b]Starting Moves:[/b]

[b]Advanced Moves:[/b]

[b]Expert Moves:[/b]

[b][u]Gear[/u][/b]    [b]Load:[/b]

[/spoiler]

FlamingAce242

merry

merry

Playbook: Seer
Name: Iloness
Look: Iloness long red hair is tied to a pony tail that reaches till her tail. Her green eyes have a faraway look as if her mind is always somewhere else. She is 160 cm tall and her emaciated body dressed in a brown ritual garb with golden ornaments.

Str: 8
Dex: 13
Con: 9
Int: 12
Wis: 16
Cha: 15

Damage: D6
Armour: 1
Health: 15

Alignment: neutral

Race: human

Starting Moves:
Cast Fortune
When you perform a ritual of augury in the presence of a subject or one of her belongings,
roll +WIS. You cast the subject's fortune. The GM will tell you the details; if another
player's character is the subject, the GM will consult that player first. *On a 10+, choose 3.
*On a 7-9, choose 2.
• You pick whether the fortune you see is good or bad.
• You know something useful about how to avert the fortune.
• You know something useful about how to ensure the fortune comes to pass.
• The fortune is of great significance.
• You can discuss the fortune without the risk of its twisting towards woe for you and the
subject.
• The strength of the vision does not confuse you and inflict one other debility of the
GM's choice.

Read Auspices
When you open yourself to the signs and portents around you for the space of a few
heartbeats, roll +WIS. You glimpse fragments of the immediate future, which offer
possibilities along with an inescapable misfortune. The GM holds 1, no matter what. *On
a 10+, you hold 3. *On a 7-9, you hold 2. *On a miss you hold 1 in addition to whatever
the GM says.
As long as the situation in which you read the auspices is still unfolding, when a target,
either you or an ally you can warn, rolls a miss or a partial success on a move (other than
last breath, spout lore, or discern realities), you may spend a hold and declare you have
foreseen what happens. The GM narrates the immediate outcome of the move, but this is
the outcome as portended, not yet as it is in reality.
You may either allow events to proceed as narrated, or act on your foreknowledge. If
you are the target, you do so by redescribing the action that triggered the move. If an ally
is the target, you do so by warning them; they may redescribe their action if they wish.
A different action calls for a new roll of the dice, even if the move triggered is the same
as before. You may not spend hold on this new roll.
The inescapable misfortune you foresaw is represented by the GM’s hold, which she
may spend at any time while the same situation unfolds to make a hard move. At any time,
you may spend all your hold and read the auspices again, but the GM keeps hers.

Uncanny Preparations
Any adventuring gear you packed for yourself starts with 8 uses. When you need
something more specialized than adventuring gear, you may declare retroactively that you
attempted to supply yourself with it in a settlement you were recently in. Use the supply
move normally, but treat the results, including the cost to you, as though they have already
happened. On a miss rolled in the course of this move, the GM says what happens, what
has already happened, or both, her choice. You can't use this move if the weight of what
you need would, at any point after leaving the settlement you got it from, have caused you
to carry more than your load.

Advanced Moves:
none

Expert Moves:
none

Gear    Load:
dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight)
leather armor (1 armor, 1 weight)
Tarot cards with with the pictures of many figures of myth and Lore (fortune-telling implements, 1 weight)
Long knife (Close, 1 weight)
Adventuring gear (8 uses, 1 weight)

Bonds:
No bonds so far, if anybody is intereseted, please send me a pm. Suggestions for bonds:
___________'s destiny is great, but I cannot see it with clarity.
____________ thinks me a charlatan. I'll show them the truth!
I am bound to _____________ by fate.
My divinations have revealed something ____________ wishes would remain secret.

Background:
Born as a simple farmers daughter, her sensitiveness has revealed in early years of her childhood. One day Iloness was very scared and talked about a big fire. She persuaded her older brother
to follow her into the wood to an hidden lair. They both alone survived the dragenfire that burned the whole village to ash and where fond later by a few magicans of the magic school.
They were both brought to her kin but here magic talent was revealed by that event. A few years later Iloness was brought to the magic school as student to the College of Enchantment. Now she
is in her first year there. Sometimes Iloness still gets nightmares about the loss of her familie and is very depressed because she wasn't able to warn them in a way that they believed her about the
upcomming danger.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: FlamingAce242 on February 16, 2015, 05:56:46 PM
Do you want me to redo mine to that?

If you would. It makes referencing sheets easier when they have a common format.

Zeth

eternaldarkness

Alright, bumping one more time to see if we can get a few mor students and a couple of staff members, then i'll just roll with whoever I have.