News:

Main Menu

FIFA World Cup 2014

Started by consortium11, May 12, 2014, 10:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleph

Quote from: Dashenka on June 14, 2014, 01:50:21 PM
So why is Urukhai vs Costa Rica on at a time that everybody can see it but nobody will, and England - Italy, which everybody wants to see is in the middle of the bleeding night. They clearly didn't think that through :D

Then again.. it's FIFA... what did I expect...

Oh :P As far as I'm concerned nearly every game is on in the middle of the bleeding night!

For me, all the games are on at 01:30, 04:30, 7:30. CIVvJAP is one of two games I think that actually starts at a civilised hour (11:00)

Then again, Australians are used to it. Stupid GMT +10 :)

Remiel

Is anyone else as amused as I am that Costa Rica is sitting on top of group D right now?  ;D

Deamonbane

Quote from: Dashenka on June 14, 2014, 01:50:21 PM
So why is Urukhai vs Costa Rica on at a time that everybody can see it but nobody will, and England - Italy, which everybody wants to see is in the middle of the bleeding night. They clearly didn't think that through :D

Then again.. it's FIFA... what did I expect...
Uruguay's game was very interesting to watch.

Also, England and Italy game happened at 7 PM, so perfect time for us Brazilians...

Remiel: It amuses the hell out of me *grins*
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

pleaseteaseme

:-) :D ;D

Italia!  ;D

Great start for us! Though some promise for England, probably the best they've played at a tournament since Euro 2004!

consortium11

Quote from: Remiel on June 14, 2014, 08:12:12 PM
Is anyone else as amused as I am that Costa Rica is sitting on top of group D right now?  ;D

If not for Spain being demolished by the Dutch it would be the upset of the tournament right now... even with that match it still might be.

Ivory Coast vs Japan is quite good fun with IC having a slight edge so far. That said I'm switching between it and some MMA right now so I'm not watching too closely.

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

consortium11

Beautiful goal by Honda. Arguably one of the most underrated players of recent times even if he's struggled in the pretty awful AC Milan team this season.

Aleph

Deamonbane

Deamonbane

Anyone else getting a sense of Deja-vu here?

pleaseteaseme

I know it's only 3 days in, but how many times already have we seen a team go 1-0 up and look in control, only to then get turned on in the second half?

Aleph

As an Aussie, I think I'd have preferred one more example ;)

Deamonbane

*chuckles* Indeed...

I was actually thinking about how Costa Rica did something quite similar just this afternoon...

Remiel

Group C: Ivory Coast vs. Japan

The Better Team Was...  Ivory Coast.  I liked Japan in the first half, but Ivory Coast clearly had the superior performance in the second. 

Man of the Match: Gervinho (CIV)

consortium11

Drogba may not be what he was in all round play... but in one very important aspect he is.

He's a talisman.

Looked at pure in statistics, Drogba only really had two great seasons for Chelsea, 2006-7 and 2009-10. Outside of those two years he finished each season with between 5 and 12 league goals which frankly would be pretty awful for the leading striker for a mid-table (or even relegation threatened) team, let alone the leading striker for a team with the ambition to challenge for the quadruple each year. But I don't think anyone would deny that Drogba was a central part of the Chelsea team and a huge reason for its success. He's the sort of player who makes everyone around him play better and we saw that last night. As soon as he came on the pitch the Ivory Coast lifted their heads and took control. Roy of the Rovers style things might be overplayed in football... but Drogba tends to do it every season.

This was a great result for the Ivory Coast. Their defence, collectively and individually, may be a bit of a shambles but they have the attacking players to pull them through... except last night they didn't. Bony wasted a host of chances while both Toure and Gervinio were far from their best. Going 1-0 down and missing all those shots with two key players looking off the pace? It was the sort of match where you'd expect them to fall apart. But they didn't. They kept plugging away and they pulled through. And I don't think both Toure and Gervinio will be as bad as they were last night (or at least for the opening part of last night). In a competitive group I still think they're the team to beat.

Remiel

Yeah, that's exactly for that very reason why so many American supporters were dismayed when Landon Donovan was left off our squad.  He may have been out of shape, he may have taken a year sabbatical, but his very presence would have bolstered and inspired the other guys.  Klinsmann didn't have to start him, but not even to bring him to Brazil?  There had to have been something personal there.

gaggedLouise

Heard on the BBC, a reporter speaking from Manaus:

"I was making a round of the bars here last night - for professional reasons naturally - and talking to the fans..."

:D

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

consortium11

Another ridiculous offside decision disallows a legitimate goal.

If Switzerland don't win this match they can feel rightfully aggrieved.

consortium11

Justice in the last minute!

Volotaire

QuoteYeah, that's exactly for that very reason why so many American supporters were dismayed when Landon Donovan was left off our squad.  He may have been out of shape, he may have taken a year sabbatical, but his very presence would have bolstered and inspired the other guys.  Klinsmann didn't have to start him, but not even to bring him to Brazil?  There had to have been something personal there.

Totally agree there.  His characterization of expectations for the American squad is absolutely correct though, they aren't going to win.  IF they make it out of the group, to me that's a win.  What I get tired of is the American press attacking Klinsmann for what he said.  Coaches everywhere around the US say this all the time, but Klinsmann of all people, is the one that gets killed for it.

On another note, what in the world was Ecuador doing throwing so many people on their last attack in the 93rd minute?  That totally opened them up to the attack that the Swiss launched successfully immediately after.  It looked like they had four men back when the Swiss counter strike had 6-7.  Amazing finish to that game.

Remiel

Onto to Group E, which I think I shall call Group Snore.  I was going to give that title to Group C, but it's really hard to get excited about any of the teams in this group (honestly, how far can France go without Ribéry?)

Group E: Switzerland vs. Ecuador.

The Better Team Was...  Switzerland.  Not by much, but they were the better-disciplined team.  Any team can concede a goal to a set piece, and Ecuador's pulling all of its midfielders forward in stoppage time gave Rodriguez and Seferovic all the opportunity they needed.

Man of the Match: Xherdan Shaqiri (SUI)

Remiel

Honestly though, I think out of the 9 matches we've had so far, 5 of them have had the first team to score go on to lose the game?  What a strange, but exciting and wonderful, World Cup.

Dashenka

*giggles*

Just because I'm so tired of Spanish football.... :)

Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Remiel

Group E: France vs. Honduras

The Better Team Was...  France.  I wonder if there would have been much of a difference in the final score if Honduras had kept all eleven of its men, but there really was no contest.

Man of the Match: I really liked the grit and tenacity of the Honduran defenders, but this one's a no-brainer.  Karim Benzema (FRA)