Kingmaker: New Cyre (Eberron; Pathfinder; Recruiting until September 19th)

Started by Dakkon, September 06, 2014, 07:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Goo Theory

I'll be working on the character sheet tonight now that I'm not driving all over the state or helping my parents.  That and we figured out the Artificer thing. 

Edit:

Just a nit-pick on something I found for the presented Artificer class.  It's DC for crafting items is actually considerably more than it was for the original D&D version while obviously PF skill ranks end up being far less.  Is this going to be an issue for item creation?  Having never played an Artificer I honestly do not know.  Nor am I familiar with any PF tricks for getting skill checks higher.  But with what I do know so far it seems like it will be very problematic for me to actually fulfill my party role. 

Coming soon...

Zaer Darkwail

Crafting checks for magic items are no-issue really. It may have prerequisites but so far haven't heard crafting checks needed unless you make armors or weapons.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Tonberryshuffle on September 14, 2014, 07:02:33 PM
Just a nit-pick on something I found for the presented Artificer class.  It's DC for crafting items is actually considerably more than it was for the original D&D version while obviously PF skill ranks end up being far less.  Is this going to be an issue for item creation?  Having never played an Artificer I honestly do not know.  Nor am I familiar with any PF tricks for getting skill checks higher.  But with what I do know so far it seems like it will be very problematic for me to actually fulfill my party role.

Actually pathfinder skill ranks end up being exactly the same - you can only take one rank in a skill per level, but if that skill is in-class, you get an untyped +3 bonus to it. So a level 1 3.5 character can put four points in Spellcraft, for a +4 skill bonus before ability mods... and a pathfinder character puts 1 point into Spellcraft, and gets a +3 extra, for a +4 total before ability mods. if anything a pathfinder character actually comes out ahead, thanks to the ubiquity of traits, and the fact that it doesn't force out of class skills into "half-levels."

Now as for the Artificer's crafting... it works exactly like anyone else's. You have to have the relevant feat, and to make the magic item, you need a Spellcraft check of 5+ caster level of the item. For each prerequisite you're missing, you add another +5 to the DC for this.

However normally you cannot, flat cannot craft spell trigger or spell completion items (potions, scrolls, wands, some others) if you do not have the spell in question on your spell list and prepared when creating the item. That is, a Wizard with the Scribe Scroll feat can't under any circumstances scribe a scroll of Goodberry, unless he is actually able to cast it and has it prepared. The artificer, on the other hand, can roll a UMD check in order to fake this - an artificer can scribe a scroll of goodberry, if he passes a UMD roll at DC 22 (20+x2 spell level.) I would presume this option would allow him to avoid a +5 penalty on the spellcraftign check for lacking such spells for other item types as well, but it doesn't specifically say so...

Bibliophilia

Fallen, I am fairly certain Maelys is complete.  If I've forgotten something, or you want more information, just let me know.

Dakkon

I'll be working on the character sheet tonight now that I'm not driving all over the state or helping my parents.  That and we figured out the Artificer thing. 

Edit:

I'll take another look at it once I get a little more time, but for now, what Chulanowa said.

Quote from: Bibliophilia on September 15, 2014, 12:57:14 AM
Fallen, I am fairly certain Maelys is complete.  If I've forgotten something, or you want more information, just let me know.

Looks pretty good and interesting to me. How open is she about her faith in the Fury in public, in private, and with friends?

Bibliophilia

She's not going around proselytizing, or wearing a holy symbol around her neck, but she isn't ashamed of her faith.  I'm sure it's no secret among those who know of her whom she worships.  When she's in public, she presents herself as a lady, behaves impeccably and tries not to let her emotions get the better of her, at least when a cooler head and more politic behavior is more advantageous.  But, she doesn't hold back when she's in battle, or in more intimate situations.  Her emotions and passions do drive her, they are just carefully restrained behind a more civilized face.  I imagine there are some nobles who have fallen prey to her influence, either due to her seducing husbands, or wives, and discarding them once her needs were met, or using gossip to foster resentment or anger between different nobles.  She's really careful about how she does what she does, though, because the last thing she wants is for her religious beliefs and practices to hamper her ability to reach her goals.

Zaer Darkwail

Oh! Interesting choice of a deity there indeed....so Maelys is proper lady on public but a hedonistic deviant behind closed doors? Plus driven by her passions and ready push them to extremes if given chance?

Latooni Subota

Wow, my concept COMPLETELY changed over the weekend and now I'm making a Warforged Warpriest (Yes, even with the Wisdom penalty! I am the wisest of steampunk living robots!)

My only regret is a considerable lack of sexytime, but . . but . . the fluff is too good to ignore! Also if both me and the halfling end up in, then I can just pick her up and let her cast spells from out of reach of pretty much every enemy's melee attacks. :D

Edit: I know you can weapon focus unarmed strikes and rays, so could you weapon focus/etc Slam attacks?

Edit edit: First draft of general character info up, sans crunch. He's a big, friendly, awkward robot~

Bear
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1006987

Name: Bear, Nine
Height: 6'6"
Weight: Roughly 300 lbs
Race: Warforged
Class: Warpriest

Description: The warforged more commonly known as Bear is a fairly massive, and old example of his kind. Standing at six and a half feet tall and darn near as wide, he towers above even other Warforged saved for those inhuman juggernauts. While his original frame is the one commonly shared by all of his generation: thick cored muscles, rounded features, recessed eye lenses, and the personal etchings and design quirks of Aarren d'Cannith. Unlike more of his 'brothers' though, partway through the War he was given a refitting, his body covered in beautiful adamantine platemail. Of course, in the aftermath of the war his formerly pristine metal plating is now burnt dark gray and even black at points, and covered in numerous warps and cracks, though being adamantine it has still kept it's defensive properties. Further setting him apart is the fact that he actually has deep brown fur attached to his shoulders, recognizable as part of a bear pelt, a little gift from a House Cannith artificer who repaired him as well as where he gets his name from. A particularly rough-looking warp is in the left side of his face, looking almost like a claw mark due to a warrior's greatsword nearly crushing his skull. To-date his left eye will occasionally flicker, from difficult to repair damage. Further cosmetic touches include an engraved 'hearth' on his chest, obviously the holy symbol of the goddess of the hearth and home Boldrei. The same symbol is on his massive steel shield, of course.

History: Bear is truly a piece of history. He was born in the first batch of Warforged to have true sentience, the ninth of a set of twelve. This batch was kept explicitly to serve House d'Cannith and Cyre, and Bear took to this duty with aplomb. He was a glorious warrior, fond of using heavy two-handed weapons or even his bare hands, crushing his enemies mercilessly. As the war raged on, and he saw the suffering of the 'little humans' who created him, Bear became . . introspective. He ceased his berserker-like charges into formation, and began to act with caution. He began to choose tactics that would save lives, rather than risk more lives for certain victory. As his wild temper cooled, and he proved himself to be a loyal protector, he eventually 'felt' a warm heat in his breast not unlike the heat from his home forge at the moment of his 'birth'. He 'felt' the power of the divine, and was granted the power to both protect AND heal by the grace of Boldrei. Needless to say, at this point in time it was something that wasn't exactly believed to be possible, yet Bear was living proof that Warforged had enough of a soul to connect with the gods and wield divine magic. In the final days of the War he was commanded to leave Cyre, something very . . unnerving to Bear though he could not explain why, and accompany a House Cannith noble to Breland as his bodyguard. It was then that the Day of Mourning happened, and Bear found his beloved home gone. For a time he felt lost, simply continuing to obey his last orders from home to protect his ward. Dran d'Cannith did not need an ever-vigilant over-protective bodyguard though, and convinced Bear that he could have a home again. Though would rebuild Cyre into a great land again, repair of the Jewel of Galifer, and they would start with the Greenbelt. Taking his words to heart Bear set out to join in with the charters granted by the King of Breland, and rebuild Cyre brick by brick starting in Oleg's Trading Post. It wasn't like he didn't have plenty of time, after all.
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Latooni Subota on September 16, 2014, 09:41:02 PM
Also if both me and the halfling end up in, then I can just pick her up and let her cast spells from out of reach of pretty much every enemy's melee attacks. :D

Oh man, can you imagine the battle cry?

WHO RULE BARTERTOWN?!

Dakkon

Wow, my concept COMPLETELY changed over the weekend and now I'm making a Warforged Warpriest (Yes, even with the Wisdom penalty! I am the wisest of steampunk living robots!)

Oooo... looks very interesting. Make sure you can get some stats going with that too.

My only regret is a considerable lack of sexytime, but . . but . . the fluff is too good to ignore! Also if both me and the halfling end up in, then I can just pick her up and let her cast spells from out of reach of pretty much every enemy's melee attacks. :D

Ah, that reminds me of something I missed!

Here's a bit of an in-depth explanation of how genetics work in my version of Eberron.

Basically, I see dwarves, elves, half-elves, humans, orcs, half-orcs, shifters, changlings, halflings, gnomes, and kalashtar as being members of one expanded species, in the sense that they are (almost) all able to bred and produce viable offspring with one another. Now, this doesn't change statistics at all, it just means that the child takes more after one parent than the other and that half-breeds might have slight oddities in appearance. It also means that the dragonmarked houses are hard as hell to marry into, since any mixed heritage increases the chances of Aberrant dragonmarks.

While this is canon for all of my games, it also neatly solves a question for E in particular. Is it odd to have sexual attraction to an elf if you are a dwarf? Nope, perfectly normal.

So how do pairings between parent work out? Here's a description. Every row excludes the races mentioned above it.

- Kalashtar must breed with a human or a changeling. If the gender of the child is the same as the Kalashtar parent, the child is Kalashtar. Otherwise, it is the non-parent's race. This is because the Quori spirits are tied to their carrier's gender.

- Changeling + other race = changeling

-Shifter + other race =  shifter

- Orc + orc = orc
- Orc+ half-orc has 50% chance of offspring being of either race
- Orc + other race = half-orc
- Half-orc + other race = half-orc

- Elves can only breed with the races above and with humans or half-elves
- Elf + human = half-elf
- Elf + half-elf = half-elf
- Half-elf + half-elf = half-elf
- Half-elf + human has a 50% chance of the child being of either race.

-Warforged + anything = ?

- All other races have about a 50% chance of the child taking after either parent.

So there is a possibility of Warforged sexytimes. They are living things. Its just that the discovery of that would be a very profound, and literally game changing, discovery.

Edit: I know you can weapon focus unarmed strikes and rays, so could you weapon focus/etc Slam attacks?
Yes, that is absolutely valid.

Zaer Darkwail

Warforged can have sexytimes although they lack genitals usually unless a naughty Cannith artificer has added them for recreational personal purposes. It could be exotic component found in Xen'Drik (including able store semen inside some 'pocket' where donor can give them to allow warforged to breed more members of donor's race).

But above is wild theory anyways.

Latooni Subota

Any changes to domains since Warpriest has a really specific list, and Boldrei's Family domain doesn't have a Blessing.

edit: Like maybe I can has the Healing blessing? Wink wink nudge nudge? :D

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Dakkon

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on September 17, 2014, 06:43:07 AM
Warforged can have sexytimes although they lack genitals usually unless a naughty Cannith artificer has added them for recreational personal purposes. It could be exotic component found in Xen'Drik (including able store semen inside some 'pocket' where donor can give them to allow warforged to breed more members of donor's race).

Suffice to say, the possibilities for this game are sufficiently more nuanced and spiritual.

Quote from: Latooni Subota on September 17, 2014, 08:26:00 AM
Any changes to domains since Warpriest has a really specific list, and Boldrei's Family domain doesn't have a Blessing.

I'll take another look at the Warpriest and let you know. If you can build up as much as possible in the mean time, I'll be quick as I can, but it won't come in for another couple of hours.

Latooni Subota

Edited my post with asking for Healing instead of Family. :P

But yeah, that's cool. I won't be online for most of the day since, you know, I work in a bank. :x

Chulanowa

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on September 17, 2014, 06:43:07 AM

Technically... the Cannith only controlled what went into the creation forges. What came out was not actually under their control. Individual forms and personalities abound among warforged. Including some gendered body types and personalities. Though granted, since what comes out of the creation forges is still made of metal, stone, wood, and crystals so that might be a little... rough. Though, they can be affected by Alter Self wands / potions, since those don't require the target to be humanoid...

Zaer Darkwail

Ah, that's true. Alter self would be quite weird experience for warforged :P.

Dakkon

Edit:

Yeah, that change makes little sense. The Use Magic Item checks should be 20 + CL like in the original book.

Quote from: Latooni Subota on September 17, 2014, 08:26:00 AM

edit: Like maybe I can has the Healing blessing? Wink wink nudge nudge? :D
Would it kill your Warpriest idea if you didn't have it? I know that there is limited options for warpriests having just come out, but part of the design of the SH and its theology is that they govern different areas of life and healing is a part of Olladra's portfolio, I'd give Boldrei access to Community, Good, Law, and Protection as before, but I'd also include Nobility, since society is built upon the backs of its leaders. Hopefully that is workable for you?

Quote from: Latooni Subota on September 17, 2014, 08:29:59 AM
Edited my post with asking for Healing instead of Family. :P

But yeah, that's cool. I won't be online for most of the day since, you know, I work in a bank. :x

Your night is my day. I think it will work out.

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on September 17, 2014, 12:53:33 PM
Ah, that's true. Alter self would be quite weird experience for warforged :P.

Any stranger than the experience of a warforged druid?

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: FallenDabus on September 17, 2014, 01:32:24 PM
Any stranger than the experience of a warforged druid?

I think warforged druid more as transformer than actually turning living animals.

Dakkon

Zaer Darkwail

Aha, my bad then. I based my opinion on races of eberron telling warforged retains their armored plate and construct subtype.

Dakkon

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on September 17, 2014, 03:20:59 PM
Aha, my bad then. I based my opinion on races of eberron telling warforged retains their armored plate and construct subtype.
No worries. That one slipped through the cracks and got errata'd after the fact. Same with the suggestion of WF barbarians taking Adamantine Plating as a feat to boost their speed... Neglecting that it counts as heavy armour.

Interdiction of words

My god, I am more confused then when I learned of Stalin's wedding.
Posts are currently: Medium
Darn work and school is getting in the way. I will get posts out as fast as I can but it is going to be hard on me as for you.

Oh my, I haven't posted on our thread? PM me or check out my A&A

Latooni Subota

Actually, Nobility was the other one I really wanted, since it fits in fairly well with my support/defender mixup I'm going for here. I'll have my crunch in tonight, Protection and Nobility blessings. Sadly I won't have a spiffy tower shield to drag around, but we all gotta make sacrifices right? :P

Edit: Hmm, there are tattoo holy symbols. Can I get one, and have it be an etching/carving in my glorious adamantine chest? :D

Foxfyr

Fenris Lancaster
Human Inspired Blade Swashbuckler
Character Sheet

Backstory - Fenris comes from a long line of con artists, pickpockets, highwaymen, and other such questionable professions of the criminal world, so it was all but inevitable that he would fall into such a career path.  His particular approach is that of living a dual life; during the day he is a masked street performer specializing in dance based on fancy swordplay, earning a living through tips and the occasional lifted coin purse whenever he thought he could get away with it.  During night he is a burglar who relies on his guile to bring in the true source of his income, using the information he’d overheard while performing to find easy marks.  Whether he robbed them in a dark alley with steel or broke into an unoccupied home, he made most of his money through ill-gotten goods.

Once the war ended, Fenris quickly realized that the lack of military enforcement lead to an increase in civil law enforcement and effectively made his job significantly riskier.  At this point he saw the opportunity the royal family presented for those bold enough to reclaim the wilderness and realized the potential for wealth it presented without the risk of incarceration.  Plus, he found a certain appeal in having his hand in the reconstruction of his homeland and possibly some minute opportunity to have some influence in its restoration.

Personality - Fenris is gregarious and lighthearted in nature, relishing in the praise and attention he got while performing on the streets as much as socializing with friends new and old.  Adhering to the belief that there is honor among thieves, he is never one to turn on his friends or view them as marks with the exception of practical jokes.  In his mind, there is always time for humor and wit, using quips and teases just as readily around the campfire as he does against an opponent who is trying to take his head off.  Furthermore, he has a competitive streak a mile wide and is always eager to pit himself against a new challenge, but true to his amiable nature is never malicious in his intent (even if he often bends the rules set in place) and takes winning as gracefully as he does losing.  Still, Fenris isn’t so foolish as to take competition to an extreme as to risk physical harm if it could be avoided and has no qualms about surrendering or retreating should he find himself in significant danger.

Dakkon

Quote from: Latooni Subota on September 17, 2014, 07:36:31 PM
Actually, Nobility was the other one I really wanted, since it fits in fairly well with my support/defender mixup I'm going for here. I'll have my crunch in tonight, Protection and Nobility blessings. Sadly I won't have a spiffy tower shield to drag around, but we all gotta make sacrifices right? :P

Edit: Hmm, there are tattoo holy symbols. Can I get one, and have it be an etching/carving in my glorious adamantine chest? :D
Where are they from?