Steffy's Magic Shop

Started by Steffy, July 04, 2018, 09:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steffy

You done good!  More power to you!

Very useful, very!

First off, Al had that great diagram.  Wonderful!
Courtney gave an award using a great movie! 
And Jaclyn spread the word—also super!

So, yep—everyone done good!

PS  Steffy does not begrudge the occasional award from others, BUT they better be perfect and tickle my fancy! 
I’m just a cute blonde, but my other personalities can take vengeance for the slightest thing.  Fun, right?

PPS  Did I not see that the Guardians are soon back on the screen?

Al Terego

Quote from: Steffy on October 16, 2018, 11:01:48 AMSteffy does not begrudge the occasional award from others, BUT they better be perfect and tickle my fancy!

I originally misread it as "fanny".  It was a confusing moment for Al.

Quote from: Steffy on October 16, 2018, 11:01:48 AMI’m just a cute blonde, but my other personalities can take vengeance for the slightest thing.  Fun, right?

Speaking of personalities,

One of the most interesting ones that I have crossed paths with was PennySludt.

She was a delight to talk to and an overall amazing person, even moreso considering he unique circumstances -- officially, she didn't exist.

Penny was an alternate personality of a woman suffering from Dissociative Identity Disorder, created for a specific purpose, and sharing her world with other personalities residing in the host's body.

Her thread is a fascinating insight into the life of a person splitting their existence between taking turns at "driving" a body in the physical world and living in a virtual one.

She hasn't logged on for 5 months, and I can only hope that she is still out there, even if "there" is just a hidden corner of some woman's mind.

Steffy

Fanny Girl
Now this is what casual chat in the Magic Shop is all about. 
I like the sounds of the story you mentioned Al.  Any cite to take a look?

And a little bit on how words can take on different meanings. 
A Brit friend always giggled when I mentioned fanny to her. 

The explanation? US fanny is UK backside. UK fanny is US pussy.  Who knew?

Jaclyn

US “get stuffed” is to eat too much, UK “get stuffed” is to put a bun in the oven aka become pregnant.

Al Terego

Quote from: Steffy on October 16, 2018, 03:15:25 PM
I like the sounds of the story you mentioned Al.  Any cite to take a look?

I believe I have, using the magic of the [url] tag.

Quote from: Steffy on October 16, 2018, 03:15:25 PM
And a little bit on how words can take on different meanings. 
A Brit friend always giggled when I mentioned fanny to her. 

The explanation? US fanny is UK backside. UK fanny is US pussy.  Who knew?

Protip: asking for a "fanny pack" in a US store may not achieve the expected result.

Aside: Friends of mine named their daughter "Faina", which is a fairly common Russian name, usually shortened to "Fanya", or in English "Fanny".  Nobody figured it would be a problem until they immigrated to Canada.

Quote from: Jaclyn on October 16, 2018, 04:20:20 PM
US “get stuffed” is to eat too much, UK “get stuffed” is to put a bun in the oven aka become pregnant.

I was under the impression that the UK "get stuffed" is equivalent to the US "fuck you"

Jaclyn

Quote from: Al Terego on October 16, 2018, 04:41:25 PM
I was under the impression that the UK “get stuffed” is equivalent to the US “fuck you”

Not according to a Brit woman I knew a number of years ago. But there’s this  https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=get+stuffed and #11 here https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=stuffed&page=2

Al Terego

Quote from: Courtney on October 15, 2018, 01:40:23 PM
Being a Liege myself, I decided I should check mine. All good on my end. Still, for being a defender of a galaxy of genders, and at the risk of drawing the ire of Steffy who normally hands out awards, I award thee the Guardian of the Galaxy of Genders Award

It turns out that in doing so I broke a rule and also inadvertently put Jaclyn on the spot.
I sincerely apologize for that, and -- being unworthy -- return the award.

Steffy

A Tectonic Shift!  Al’s Fault!!!!  Help!!!!!!

It first started with whispering

“I can’t believe it.  He tried to return an award!”

Reactions seemed to be universally the same.  Time and time again!

But then, when the rumor had become more persistent,
that Al had returned an award given in the hallowed Magic Shop, it was too much for many!

Oftentimes tectonic shifts can be reversed if things are placed in order by the ‘Rulebook’

The tiny girl whispered ever so quietly but with great authority,
“Chapter 27, subsection (d), iiiiv, covers this succinctly: ‘Al, his name appears specifically, cannot return awards.’

CONCLUSION

And the world was at peace again, the tectonic plates shifting back in place with a gentle sigh.

Al Terego

OK then, I will not argue with the committee.
Suggestions on how I can make it up to Jaclyn are still welcome.

-- Al

Jaclyn

Al, no makeup needed. You have done nothing wrong that I can perceive. A 16 fl. oz. beer has gone into that statement so I’m certain of it’s relative truthiness.

I made one mistake which I have since corrected via an edit, after having that pointed out to me. Nuff said.

Al Terego

Quote from: Jaclyn on October 17, 2018, 03:37:09 PM
Al, no makeup needed. You have done nothing wrong that I can perceive. A 16 fl. oz. beer has gone into that statement so I’m certain of it’s relative truthiness.

Beer, eh?  Alright, at least let me treat you to some.

Helga!  Two boobs beers please!

Cheers!

(( I missed Oktoberfest by a couple of weeks, but still... ))

Jaclyn

38DDD Steins, bra size of the average beer wench in Dirndlrica.

Al Terego

Greetings, LLLLs!

Today I am offering you one of the sacred secret of the darkest magicks -- the ability to bend reality and manipulate time to undo disasters and bring back what was destroyed.

Have you ever spend your precious time and effort to craft a masterful post, a prose of unsung eloquence, beauty and wit, only to have it snatched from your hands by a browser crash or an inadvertent window close?  Rejoice, my brothers, sisters and other siblings of unspecified sex, gender and identity, for it will soon be within your power to cheat death and resurrect your work like a phoenix reborn from its ashes.  As long as you use Firefox, Chrome, or a browser compatible with either, but that is a small price to pay, especially considering that contrary to most deals that promise access to eldritch sorcery, you get to keep your immortal soul, your firstborn child and your latest iPhone.

So, without further ado, I bring you...  Form History Control

Install this add-on, but only use use your newfound powers for good!

Jaclyn

Al,

I’ll check it out. I used to use Lazarus but that fell be the wayside. Lately, I’ve used Typio in Chrome because LiL has always been a sporty for stability. I haven’t had occasion to need it here at Elliquiy since Vekseid has this thing humming along rock solid stable!

Cheers!

Steffy

NSDB Steffy
Okay.  It’s confession time. 

I have been unable to get a clear understanding of Form History Control. 

I tried two things. 

YouTube and Google search. 

YouTube got me to a video in Spanish I think—who knew browsers come in other language forms? 

Anyways—a silent video of items in Spanish did not help.  The Google Search came up with why it might help, but still not basic enough.

Sooooo . . . might Al and/or Jaclyn give a few examples of what situations might arise and how this helps?

Take a look at the pic.  That nsdb means not so dumb blonde, but it does not mean blonde computer genius—that would be BCG.

Gracias!  (I knew that bit of Spanish even before the silent Spanish tutorial)

Al Terego

Basically, the add-on saves what you type in text boxes on web sites and allows you to restore it (load into the text box) on demand.  It has additional functionality but the main use for me is to recover my work after crashes/reboots/etc.

The big text in my post above is a link to the site that includes a manual.
Direct link: https://stephanmahieu.github.io/fhc-home/Manual/manual/

Jaclyn

Steffy,

  It’s for when you’re typing a post and something crashes, your computer or the website or something else. Form control in this context saves every keystroke as you enter it and allows you to restore partial posts after recovering from a crash.

  This and similar was a lot more important back at LiL, where Lissa’s complex multi-character code was fragile, causing post and website crashes. I’ve not had to resort to the one I was previously using which I don’t like for reasons we don’t need to discuss. Should work on websites like Facebook where we enter text into like we do here.

Jaclyn

  I’ve updated my browser Extensions list to reflect Al’s discovery. Different browsers have different add ons and not all have equivalent ones. Here’s my stab at a table listing Extensions that I can find for Chrome and Firefox and Edge, all on a PC. Someone with a Mac will have to look for Safari.

Extension
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Function
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Chrome
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Edge
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Firefox
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Opera
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Tampermonkey *Scripting
Instant Smart
 Quotes
"" with “”
 & ... with …
Smart Text“ with “”
 & … with …
Form History
 Control (II)
Save what
 you’ve typed

  * Elliquiy scripting using Tampermonkey is provided by Ssieth’s Elliquiy Improver

Al Terego

Hmmm...  Greasemonkey, Tampermonkey, Violentmonkey.  Can anyone tell me the differences?

Jaclyn

  All three are browser extensions to run scripts (language is Javascript, if that means anything to you) to do certain things with web pages. Ssieth’s Elliquiy Improver as of yesterday only runs on Tampermonkey. Slight differences in the scripting means Ssieth would have to create a special version for each extension, too much work to ask of a volunteer. Elliquiy Improver is the only script I run so I won’t comment on the relative merits of the other flavor of monkeys. Here’s a discussion of the differences over on Reddit.

Al Terego

Seems like it's time to switch monkeys

Steffy

NSDB Steffy
Okay.  It’s confession time.  AGAIN! 

I am thinking that I don’t need to understand this (form control) and don’t need it (oh please, do not say, yes you do). 

SOOOO, I have just one question: How many monkeys do you have Al?

Al Terego

Quote from: Steffy on November 02, 2018, 06:11:33 PM
SOOOO, I have just one question: How many monkeys do you have Al?

I know that it was a facetious question, but I will give a serious answer nonetheless.

Obviously Greasemonkey is one.

Another one is an aspect of my character's wife in the group RP I play in.  Back when the game began, the characters met for a reunion party in a mansion belonging to the host's boss and discovered a magical board game on the shelf.  Cards were drawn, transformations happened, a genie came to be, and a careless wish was made for my character's wife (then girlfriend) to become a monkey.  The player was upset since she did not want to play an animal, but I came with an idea that it could be interpreted as Monkey, the Chinese trickster deity.  Since it was (still is) a sandbox, she went with it.  After a while the character split into two: Nichole and Monkey, which eventually was spun off (see below), but Nichole gained an "aspect" (essentially a focus on one of the character's traits) which could be brought forth to effect a physical and a mental transformation.  Currently, the aspects that have been discovered were Monkey (curiosity and cleverness), Bunny (enthusiasm and cuddling), Raven (guide and protector), Honey badger (tenacity), Vixen (mischief), and Black cat (predatory and toying).  Fun stuff.

The third one is the Monkey that got spun off above.  The player took the Monkey character (a short girl with a prehensile tail) and started writing an adventure story featuring her.  PG-rated, very well written, very fun to read, still ongoing.

So three monkeys in total.

Steffy

Good and bad, it's all the same: a Taoist parable to live by

Yay!  I’m glad you took the tangent Al.  Perfecto!

One may wonder if Steffy is possibly taking a tangent with the pic and phrase, but no, no, no!!!

What I’m getting at is Al, I really, really wished you had provided more. 
The story thread sounds great! 
Where is it?  Do we have to be detectives (don’t get me on that tangent!)?  How about one of those ‘Here’?

The above image is the result of searching for ‘good and bad’ images for this post. 

(Good as in the story info/bad as in need more). 
The title below the pic is from a story line for the image.  I’m not a Taoist, but I don’t think I agree.  Thoughts?

And, just so you know,
I rejected sterner imagery to encourage Al to reveal the story location.  I’m feeling nice.  (Candy buzz still from Halloween).

Jaclyn

Quote from: Steffy on November 02, 2018, 06:11:33 PM
I am thinking that I don’t need to understand this (form control) and don’t need it (oh please, do not say, yes you do)..

  No Steffy, you don’t need it here. Good, solid site as long as your internet connection is too. And if you’d like me to show how I use TamperMonkey and the Elliquiy Improver script, I can do that in tutorial form here if you wish.

  Al, if you’re developing scripts, I suggest you give ViolentMonkey a long look. GreaseMonky appears to be undergoing major revision and may not be backward compatible with existing scripts in the future. TamperMonkey is under some sort of kinky license arrangement. While ViolentMonkey is quite new and open under – basically – the Richard Stallman conventions. For this sort of software, I really like that.