My messages not showing up?

Started by Rustic, June 19, 2018, 06:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rustic

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've noticed this in the past, and most recently today. My apologies if this has been discussed as I can't seem to find it.

I'll be conversing with someone in PM's. I reply, they reply, and it all shows up. I'll write a response, I click send, it goes to the page it should. It says message sent in green above, and the last reply of the other person in the conversations says the message has been replied to. Yet, my message doesn't show up below theirs as it normally does.

I asked the person I was conversing with if they recieved it, and they did. I checked just now and it still isn't showing the message on my end, not in sent nor in the inbox.

Not sure what's been happening.

Oniya

If you go to your profile, select 'Modify Profile', and then Personal Messaging', which settings do you have in your current configuration?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Rustic

Display personal messages: as a conversation
Show most recent personal messages at top Not checked

Receive personal messages from: all members, except those on my ignore list.
Notify by email every time you receive a personal message: always
Show a popup when I receive new messages Not checked

Save a copy of each personal message in my sent items by default checked
Remove the inbox label when applying another label Not checked

Avis habilis

Have you noticed any consistency in the pattern? For example, is it always your nth reply that doesn't display in the conversation you see, or could it be the second one time, the fourth another time, the third another, & so on?

Rustic

I haven't noticed a pattern, but I also haven't been looking for one. It's certainly not the first, and I don't think it's after many PM's. Maybe it's when I send a Pm, they respond back, I respond and it happens with that one. I'm making a guess as I'd have to look back to be sure. That's what it was for this one.

Nymphadora

If I am understanding this problem correctly, I have had similar things happen to me in the past with PMs.

Periodically a PM I have sent just vanishes from the thread despite getting the sent confirmation and the person replying to it no problem.

In the same vein, some PMs get lost along the way to the recipient. This has also happened periodically during my time here.
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Rate:Weekly give or take
Availability:
Unavailable for new plottings, sorry.
O&Os Please review
♪As flawed as you may think you are, you're perfect to me!♪

Avis habilis

Quote from: Nymphadora on June 21, 2018, 06:44:35 AM
In the same vein, some PMs get lost along the way to the recipient. This has also happened periodically during my time here.

Do you see them in your Sent Messages box but the other person doesn't see the message, or do neither of you see anything?

Nymphadora

Quote from: Avis habilis on June 21, 2018, 06:55:51 AM
Do you see them in your Sent Messages box but the other person doesn't see the message, or do neither of you see anything?

They never arrive at the recipient's inbox but are in my sent items. It will be a good while before it gets figured out too because quite often it's caused mild misunderstandings.
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Rate:Weekly give or take
Availability:
Unavailable for new plottings, sorry.
O&Os Please review
♪As flawed as you may think you are, you're perfect to me!♪

Rustic

Not sure if I have had that second problem, but it may explain why sometimes conversations go silent. I can't confirm if it's happened to me or not as sometimes I just take it as lack of interest.

But yes this all does get a bit confusing, with me sending a second pm sometimes asking if the first was recieved. Seems yes, they do receive it if it said it was sent, even if not showing up in my "conversation".

Avis habilis

Hmm. This is sounding more & more like a Vekseid level problem. May have to light the Veks signal.

Fatedxx

I will second that this has now happened to me, I sent off a message and it said sent however never showed up in my sent messages or within the PM thread however my partner relieved it. Just to say this isn't a one time thing!

Rustic

It happened twice again.

Not sure if it's because of what I'm clicking (perhaps I'm clicking reply on the pm itself, rather than reply all at the bottom, or the other way around?).

So yeah, not sure why.

Inkidu

This thread is making me paranoid. :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Vekseid

Conversation mode is really buggy.

I know what happens. Somehow, you trigger a delete on the message that you say is deleted.

Temptation is to remove the ability to delete PMs altogether >_>

Flower

Please don't. xD I need to delete them. I wouldn't mind if we had a trash bin though. Gives the illusion of something being deleted but it's not.

Mirrah

Quote from: Vekseid on July 09, 2018, 08:57:25 AM
Conversation mode is really buggy.

I know what happens. Somehow, you trigger a delete on the message that you say is deleted.

Temptation is to remove the ability to delete PMs altogether >_>

I've used conversation mode almost ever since I was approved, but I've never (noticed) missing PMs. Now I wonder if there were some PMs that were never received out there somewhere. o.o Still, I don't mind being unable to delete PMs. >.>

Quote from: Flower on July 09, 2018, 09:10:30 AM
Please don't. xD I need to delete them. I wouldn't mind if we had a trash bin though. Gives the illusion of something being deleted but it's not.

If it happens, you could always create a folder and toss them all in there! I have one labeled "Archive" and I toss all the old PMs in there. :D Helps me keep my Inbox less cluttered than it might be... >.> Maybe call yours "Trash Bin" instead?
"Dream... not of what you are... but of what you want to be." - Margulis
Status: Closed. Semi Hiatus. | Have you taken care of yourself today?