@_@ Well....crap....Need some help..regarding email. @_@ (new question inside!)

Started by Wolfy, July 03, 2012, 08:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Just got an Email in my inbox for the creation of some paypal account in china that used my email.

I've run Malware Bytes, Microsoft Security essentials, and I'm about to run CCleaner to take off any thing unneeded...I'm also changed any passwords linked to that account including the account password itself.

@_@...What's the chance this could have just been a freak accident?

Shjade

An accident? Nil, I'd think.

Possibly a lie, though, in the vein of, "Click this link if you want to deny this creation," where the deny link is actually a link that gives whoever sent you the email all your info.

Someone more knowledgeable than I will have to cover other possibilities.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Wolfy

Quote from: Shjade on July 03, 2012, 08:57:02 PM
An accident? Nil, I'd think.

Possibly a lie, though, in the vein of, "Click this link if you want to deny this creation," where the deny link is actually a link that gives whoever sent you the email all your info.

Someone more knowledgeable than I will have to cover other possibilities.

Well, I didn't click on any links..in fact, I just deleted it and moved it into my trash folder immediately...I can't still access if I want to, but I'm not going to. >_<

Autumn Sativus

You could always try logging in to PayPal with the email account to see if it recognizes there is an account or if it asks you to register. If it does recognize the account then you can do the 'Deny' thing. Even better, if you're a chrome or firefox user you can usually hover over a link to see where it's going to re-direct you. If it's not directly to paypal.com(withalotofafterstuff), you'll know not to click it.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Wolfy

Quote from: Saffron on July 03, 2012, 09:01:41 PM
You could always try logging in to PayPal with the email account to see if it recognizes there is an account or if it asks you to register. If it does recognize the account then you can do the 'Deny' thing. Even better, if you're a chrome or firefox user you can usually hover over a link to see where it's going to re-direct you. If it's not directly to paypal.com(withalotofafterstuff), you'll know not to click it.

Well, when I hover over the link, it says

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

so I think it's an actual paypal link. >_<

Man, I am freaking out right now...

Vekseid

Wolfy

Quote from: Vekseid on July 03, 2012, 09:21:06 PM
PM me the e-mail with complete headers.

@_@...How...do I do that?

and I've also called Paypal directly now...the woman I spoke to removed the email from the account in question, and she said that they probably made a typo or something....

Still...o3o...I'm so on edge. >_<

Wolfy

So really weird thing..Google seems to default into https rather than http.

@_@...Wonder why.....is this happening to anyone else?

Oniya

https refers to a secure protocol.  When given the option, https is preferable, especially when dealing with financial stuff.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Autumn Sativus

If you called PayPal and they were able to confirm that the email was used on an account, even if it was in error, then this wasn't a fake message and you really have nothing to be worked up about. You've dealt with the issue by having the email removed. Now take a deep breath and keep moving along without being worried. *sagenod*

HTTPS is literally "Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure", a good thing that is definitely preferable, as Oniya mentioned.
Edit: And now I see that Oniya also included a link to the explanation. >.> Nevermind me.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Wolfy

Yeah...

I did a little digging, and apparently since I have a G-mail account, it has an automatic HTTPS default mode on it.

Meaning that anything I do concerning google automatically defaults to HTTPS for more security.