Michigan Proposes New Tax Credit... for Fetuses

Started by Valerian, November 26, 2012, 12:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerian

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/11/20/1223231/michigan-tax-credit-fetuses/?mobile=nc
http://www.allgov.com/news/controversies/michigan-bill-would-give-tax-breaks-for-fetuses-121125?news=846291

Last year, Michigan slashed the usual tax credits that people get for having children, as well as the Earned Income Tax Credit designed to help lower-income taxpayers and families.  Now, they're proposing a different sort of tax break for expectant parents only:

State legislators in Michigan held a hearing on Tuesday to consider House Bills 5684 and 5685, which would allow taxpayers to receive tax relief for unborn fetuses past 12 weeks’ gestation.

Progress Michigan’s executive director points out that the proposed legislation is a dangerous step toward endowing fetuses with the same rights as human beings while disregarding the real economic needs of Michigan’s children, 341,000 of whom currently live in high-poverty areas:

“It’s clear Lansing Republicans have the wrong priorities by wasting time on these extreme bills,” said Zack Pohl, Executive Director of Progress Michigan. “This is really a backdoor way of passing extreme personhood legislation, which has been rejected by voters in states across the country. Even worse, this would create a special new tax credit for unborn fetuses, after Lansing Republicans eliminated the tax credit for living, breathing children last year. It’s time for our elected leaders to get their priorities straight and start working together to create good jobs and improve education.”

Republican Representative Jud Gilbert, one of the main sponsors of the fetus tax credit plan, said supporters merely want to help mothers with their taxes.

“You’re recognizing the fact that people have additional expenses, another person to take care of,” Gilbert told MLive. “Money saved there could be contributed to doctor's bills and all kinds of things.”

Because, you know, once the kid is born they don't cost anyone anything to raise.  You never have to take them to the doctor, feed them, buy them clothes, or anything!

>:(
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

Sooooo.. let me understand this..

I can't get credit for HAVING kids already around.. but if my hypothetical wife/girl friend gets pregnant at the right time (when she/we are filing) the 'baby on the way' can be claimed?

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Callie Del Noire

Avis habilis

Nope. Just another camel's-nose-under-the-tent attempt to assign a blastocyst rights that trump a living woman's.

Mithlomwen

Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Avis habilis on November 26, 2012, 02:43:54 PM
Nope. Just another camel's-nose-under-the-tent attempt to assign a blastocyst rights that trump a living woman's.

Just wait till someone pretty, photogenic and popular dies because of one of these laws in a low news week.. we'll see a lot more hate on these laws.

god..that sounded incredibly jaded. 

I think I'll grab my tablet and go out and sit in the park or someplace and see real living people rather than work on my project today. Maybe take some photos. .go hang out that the FLGS or something. :D

Laters folks.

Shjade

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 26, 2012, 02:48:38 PM
Just wait till someone pretty, photogenic and popular dies because of one of these laws in a low news week.. we'll see a lot more hate on these laws.

Much as I hate to say it, you left out "white."
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Caela

Quote from: Shjade on November 26, 2012, 03:13:02 PM
Much as I hate to say it, you left out "white."

She won't have to be white, but if she's not she had better be pretty and upper class.

Caela

Being able to claim a fetus, but not an actual child is ridiculous and the height of hypocrisy. As for the guy quoted as saying folks could use this for the increased medical expenses, them make a better medical care credit that everyone, including pregnant women, can us.

Oniya

I just thought of something.  Something that kind of horrifies me, but would serve the people behind this thing a heaping helping of crow.

The credit applies to pregnant women.  Pregnant as of the time that they do their taxes?  I'm going to assume that's the case, but it doesn't matter too much if even if it's 'just during the year'.  What happens if someone is pregnant at the time that they claim the deduction, and then 'loses the baby'?  What happens if they are pregnant the next tax time, claim the deduction, and then 'lose the baby'?  Mind you, I can't think of anyone callous enough to do this, but there is the potential that this could actually 'encourage' abortions.  After all, without the EIC, actually keeping the baby would push a family farther into poverty...

Braioch

Quote from: Oniya on November 29, 2012, 08:43:18 PM
I just thought of something.  Something that kind of horrifies me, but would serve the people behind this thing a heaping helping of crow.

The credit applies to pregnant women.  Pregnant as of the time that they do their taxes?  I'm going to assume that's the case, but it doesn't matter too much if even if it's 'just during the year'.  What happens if someone is pregnant at the time that they claim the deduction, and then 'loses the baby'?  What happens if they are pregnant the next tax time, claim the deduction, and then 'lose the baby'?  Mind you, I can't think of anyone callous enough to do this, but there is the potential that this could actually 'encourage' abortions.  After all, without the EIC, actually keeping the baby would push a family farther into poverty...

Oh god, what an awful concept and something at least one person will do.

I find myself, not for the first time, rather ashamed of my state, the place I was born and raised in.

Honestly! We have actual children in need of financial help and we're giving it to fetuses?! I smell right wing ALL up in this bitch.
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Braioch on November 30, 2012, 08:27:18 AM
Oh god, what an awful concept and something at least one person will do.

I find myself, not for the first time, rather ashamed of my state, the place I was born and raised in.

Honestly! We have actual children in need of financial help and we're giving it to fetuses?! I smell right wing ALL up in this bitch.

Don't feel embarrassed! You're not the idiot that came up with this idea. And I promise you, idiocy is universal. No state has sole claim to it.

Nadir

Quote from: Oniya on November 29, 2012, 08:43:18 PM

Or they could just claim that they are in a perpetual state of pregnancy - because pregnancy starts two weeks before conception. At least, in Arizona.

Oniya

Yeah, but the law in question is for Michigan, and I imagine they'd want documentation at least to the extent of a positive urine test.  (No, Mr. tax-man.  I am not peeing in a cup for you.)