New Potterverse book on the way?

Started by Callie Del Noire, June 17, 2011, 02:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

http://www.pottermore.com/

it's just a countdown clock right now from what I can find

Oniya

The owls link to a Youtube video - I'm not seeing a countdown.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Avis habilis

I heard on NPR that she's stated categorically that it isn't a new book. What it is, she hasn't said yet.

TheGlyphstone

It might be the official encyclopedia that's been talked about for a while now.

Callie Del Noire

5 days 15 hours 25 minutes according to my check just now.

Wolfy

*crosses fingers for Harry Potter MMO*

Oniya

There's something called Wizards 101 that looks like a no-name HP MMO.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Inkidu

Gosh, I hope it isn't a canonical entry into the main story of Harry Potter. I admired Rowling for her deft work at making all that fiction fit into seven books, tying up all her lose ends, and whatnot. I want to see new stuff from her, but seeing as she's made a fortune I will not hold my breath.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Kendra

news to me - avid HP fan - but am watching these owls now with bated breath - that and they are sooo cute *pets the owl* lol

Callie Del Noire

I see her returning to the Potterverse..easily.. do I see her returning to THOSE kids in that storyline? Not so much. She said their story was done, I'm betting she wants to do another story. Maybe elsewhere.

Wolfy

No one said she couldn't do a story about the Kids from the epilogue. ;D

Callie Del Noire

I think that could be interesting.. of course I wish she'd unclench on her attitude towards e-books

TheGlyphstone

Her attitude or her publisher's? They're not necessarily the same thing, though I don't keep up on her press releases.

Inkidu

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 17, 2011, 06:34:44 PM
I think that could be interesting.. of course I wish she'd unclench on her attitude towards e-books
I'm such a hypocrite about e-books. I dislike them, but if a publish walked up to me today and said, "We'll publish you but we're going to do a large e-book run first." I'd jump on it, jump on it so bad.

Personally, I don't really want to see more Potterverse. I realize this is just me, but honestly she's not going to top it, and the fiction was well-explored for my tastes. Anything else would seem like a cash grab, which she doesn't need. Plus years ago she said she'd be working on something non-Potter. I'd rather see that.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Inkidu on June 17, 2011, 06:45:12 PM
I'm such a hypocrite about e-books. I dislike them, but if a publish walked up to me today and said, "We'll publish you but we're going to do a large e-book run first." I'd jump on it, jump on it so bad.

Personally, I don't really want to see more Potterverse. I realize this is just me, but honestly she's not going to top it, and the fiction was well-explored for my tastes. Anything else would seem like a cash grab, which she doesn't need. Plus years ago she said she'd be working on something non-Potter. I'd rather see that.

I like e-books, it's allowed a lot of authors to do smaller books. Folks like H.P. Lovecraft who did a lot of short stories wouldn't have been published as easily in modern print publishing. For years before ebooks it was either magazines (which didn't pay much) or novels. With the growth of e-books and the simplication of publishing that has come up over the years it's quite nice to see folks publishing their own books. Some of them aren't award winning novels but they are able to publish.  So, I'm a big supporter of e-books.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Inkidu on June 17, 2011, 06:45:12 PM

She'll never top the Potter books, but there's still a whole world out there to explore. Those two little thin paperbacks - Quidditch Through The Ages and Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them where amazing little reads, at less than a hundred pages each. A full-blown encyclopedia, telling us about the entire Wizarding World, would be amazing.

Wolfy

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on June 17, 2011, 08:15:09 PM
She'll never top the Potter books, but there's still a whole world out there to explore. Those two little thin paperbacks - Quidditch Through The Ages and Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them where amazing little reads, at less than a hundred pages each. A full-blown encyclopedia, telling us about the entire Wizarding World, would be amazing.

Yes it would, but I think a few books telling us a story about the new kids going to hogwarts would be better..to me, anyway. ;D

Jag

Is it just me or are there more owls on that youtube countdown page everyday?

>.>

I swear there is a new one since yesterday.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Oniya

One way to find out - there are 9 today, plus three behind the numbers (one flies past)

Tune in tomorrow for a recount.

Jag

Yeah. I'll have to check tomorrow to see if there are more. I could swear there were only two on the bottom branches outside of the countdown screen yesterday and only one on that lower branch on the countdown screen.

Though the caption does say 'the owls are gathering' so there probably are new ones being added for some reason.

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on June 17, 2011, 08:15:09 PM
Yeah, but the genius thing about those books are that they're Harry's textbooks from school. I don't really want more Potterverse narrative. I guess I'm a supporter of Hemingway's Iceberg Theory of Fiction: Fiction is made all the better by what you don't see, but know is there. It would actually make the series less rich if she went and explained every period in the universe.

Oniya

There's always the other schools and possible intrigues going on over there. 

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Michi No Sora on June 18, 2011, 01:11:28 PM
Is it just me or are there more owls on that youtube countdown page everyday?

>.>

I swear there is a new one since yesterday.

I counted fifteen (including the one flying by)

Jag

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 19, 2011, 07:14:19 PM
I counted fifteen (including the one flying by)

Oniya counted 9 the other day...so yeah...the owls are gathering.

>.>

*is rather curious*

Oniya

I got sixteen (four behind the words, if you count the flyer, and 12 on the branches in 'front').