Some advice to further my education needed...

Started by RubySlippers, July 16, 2006, 01:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

I have an interest in getting my bachelors degree and got a book with many non-residential degree options. Now it would be for personal enrichment more than a credital for work since I'm interested in a humanities degree. Very traditional great books based on the great minds of humanity maybe philosophy or literature.

So I have found a few options. The first is to get a local two-year degree and then get into an accredited strictly distance learning program either a United States recognized one or abroad. The most expensive option but my company will pay some of the tuition for some classes.

The second is a unaccredited tutoring service that prepares to take the University of London tests to get a diploma from them. The latter is de facto as good as an american degree and even if taken by examination is tough. But the costs are noticeably lower and I will still likely earn a Bachelors. This one you get a reading list, study your tail off and then take an exam in various testing location like in Canada after several years. For your information the school has been doing this since the early 1800's. So is very legitimate. The tutoring service guides the education process with a proctor scholar and is not inexpensive but increases the passing chances noticeably.

The third is a non-accredited school overseas I found several good ones and is the least expensive option in some cases and more expensive than the second option above. In most cases they are guided self-study with a proctor taking a certain number of modules and at the end earning a bachelors. Now the only ones I'm considering are ones with either a religious affiliation or are openly non-accredited, offer a serious program of study and have been around for at least a fair amount of time. One is in the United States and a religious school affiliation with a tough course of study just being distance learning based can't get accredited. But they offer a solid great books program based around a subject topic or ideas. Since this would be for personal enrichment and I would want to be proud of noting the school if brought up this is not a bad option. But the US School is expensive similar to going to an accredited brick and mortar college but it has one benefit the credits are accepted as a transfer by many colleges and has little stigma among the academics so if I go ahead for a Masters I can use that school.

So any advice?

Lilian

What ever you do, don't waste your money attending ITT Technical Institute in Las Vegas, Nevada. ;)