Shin Megami Tensei Roleplay interest check

Started by Saikotsu, July 10, 2012, 03:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saikotsu

Hey everyone, ive been thinking of doing a Persona roleplay, but I wanted to know if anyone would be interested in it before I start setting it up. Ive got the general layout and storyline figured out as best i can without knowing who will be joining.
Procrastination is like masturbation, you're only screwing yourself.
- a friend
Anyone perfect must be lying.
-Bare Naked Ladies: falling for the first time.
Why is it blatantly obvious when two people are in love, but the two lovers are usually the last to find out?

The truth is only as dangerous as the lies we tell ourselves.

who149

I love Persona! I've played 3 and 4, so I'd be a little lost if it took more from 1 or 2, but still would be willing too give it a shot. ^^
Been away, now i'm back. Updated based off changes in my life.

Ons and offs!

Empyrean

I'd be interested in learning more about this. I'm most familiar with 3 and 4 myself.

Saikotsu

I'm familiar with Persona 3: fes, persona 4, and persona 3 portable so it would be more based off of those. I'm glad to see we have some interested people at least. If we could get some more, that would be great.
- a friend
Why is it blatantly obvious when two people are in love, but the two lovers are usually the last to find out?

Mossberg

I've played 4 and would be interested. We can't have it being a sausage fest though lol >.>
"I killed the whole world, and you can too, if you try hard."
-Lews Therin Telamon

Saikotsu

- a friend

MzHyde

I play a lot of persona but I'd like to know what this is going to be about first.

Saikotsu

Well, without giving too much away, I was thinking that people would start disappearing who play this video game that promises to give them their truest desires. It would be up to the party to figure out whats happening to the missing people and put an end to the disappearances. Its kind of a cross between 3 and 4 in that regard. The party of course would unlock their persona's and have to rely on their powers to fight off the shadows. since the main party usually has personas based on a theme ( 3 had greek and roman gods and heroes and 4 had Japanese mythological themed personas,) I'd like for everyone to be in the same theme, though we can ignore that if we wish. Anything else you'd like to know?
- a friend

Karasu

I've alwyas wanted to give persona a try.
SEEKING Undertale/Deltarune RP, PM to discuss details.

Mossberg

There isn't any particular pantheon I'd like to see used. Will we get one persona or be like the main characters in the games and be able to get multiple persona?
-Lews Therin Telamon

MzHyde

Mossberg

I agree, just wondering though. Also, I know a site that has a listing of all the demons and their abilities.
-Lews Therin Telamon

who149

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Demons_by_mythology

Full list of Demons by Mythology, so that if we want to all pick from one it will be easier, although the full list is all of the demons from Shin Migami Tensei, and not just Persona.

Greek-roman, and Japanese mythology have the most, which might be good choices.

Its followed closely however, by Arahamic, which has a good list of Angels and Demons like Raphiel, Lucifer, and Lilith.

Buddhist and Chinese also seem to have a pretty expansive list. And European has a lot more recognizable ones, like Succubus, Vampire, Wyvern, Unicorn, Wraith,  and Phoenix.

Ons and offs!

Saikotsu

Thanks, that does make things easier. Personally I was thinking Norse based personas would be cool, but it would be up to the group. Since wild cards who can have multiple personas are rare, we'd probably only have one. I was thinking we could use the dice roller to see if anyone has the wildcard ability.
- a friend

who149

I'd say only go for one each, no wildcard. It would be unbalanced, hard to deal with, it would make us have to create a system of gathering new personae, in order to favor one or two people, whom would, in turn, then feel  and in reality be, more powerful then the rest of the group.

And Norse seems cool.

Ons and offs!

Mossberg

Norse is fine with me. Something I wanted to point out though, in Persona 4 it wasn't just Japanese mythology demons, I remember getting others. Just saying, one pantheon is fine fine with me.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Saikotsu

True. I'm in favor of one each. Makes each member more valuable, as only they have their specific skill set. That said, i do intend to have the velvet room and social links. They'll function a little differently, but they're integral to Persona so i feel they should be incorporated.

Of course. I was talking specifically the teams initial personas. Each team mate started with a Japanese figure. The protagonist started with Izanagi for example.
- a friend

Mossberg

Oh okay. I thought that you had meant the whole set, my bad. And yeah, one per person is a good idea. For balance and whatnot. How would you go about doing social links though? I'm curious about that.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Saikotsu

Well, that will depend on how we want to handle this. I was thinking of having a stat based system taken pretty much directly from the games. Each persona has stats in Str, Mag, End, Agl,Luck, and i think one other. in this case, I'd say that building your links strengthens your stats. So if you interact with a person of the magician arcana, your mag stat may go up a bit. Greater bonds bestow greater benefits. Otherwise, without stats, we can simply state that your persona grows the more you interact with others. I plan on having NPCs to interact with, but you can also form bonds with your team mates too.
- a friend

Mossberg

Sounds good. I think Intelligence is the stat you're missing.
-Lews Therin Telamon

MzHyde

I think adding stats would make it a little too complex. Having the characters get stronger as they interact and as time passes seems much simpler.

Saikotsu

You have a point. I'm used to system based games such as D&D and Besm, but I'm also familiar with rps that lack them. I'm willing to do it either way. Next question I have: should combat be by dice rolls, or not? I'm more in favor of leaving that for boss fights, and relying more on roleplaying to make the combat more exciting. once again, its up to the group. After all, i want to make sure we can all enjoy this Rp.
- a friend

MzHyde

It depends. My RP has dice based combat in it with a pretty simple system I made up. It makes combat random and more fun in a way. Fights have a flow dictated by the dice so you never know what will happen and it makes you think of creative ways to go with the rolls. The downside to dice is, though, if you're having rotten luck and not landing any hits it can be a real downer.

krakenknight

I'd be interested in something Megaten, I really love the universe and the character dev angle is always fun. count me in dice or no dice.

Mossberg

I vote no dice. Or at the very least a system that is easy to use and understand. I haven't used any systems on here as of yet.
-Lews Therin Telamon