We provide....leverage

Started by Primarch, March 21, 2011, 04:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebb

Off to the races. Primarch, do you want to make an OOC thread, or would you rather just keep talking in the recruitment thread here? Or stick to PM's? My preference is to have an OOC, but I'm not wedded to it.

Ooops - just saw your note about the OOC thread being on deck.

NaughtyKitty

Holy crap.....I wish I had seen this a few days ago.  I would have been all over it.  Leverage is one of my favorite shows!

Well...if you guys decide you need another player...or a slot opens up, please let me know!

Caela

You'd have to double check with Primarch, but I think we still need marks, and people that we're helping...unless he's decided to make them NPC's.

Primarch

Quote from: NaughtyKitty on March 23, 2011, 08:25:17 PM
Holy crap.....I wish I had seen this a few days ago.  I would have been all over it.  Leverage is one of my favorite shows!

Well...if you guys decide you need another player...or a slot opens up, please let me know!

While as Caela mentioned, I'm still looking for marks/clients, if you're uncomfortably with whats basically a GM type position, I'm not against the idea of an extra role or so being brought in if you can come up with something.

What else is the point of RPing a fandom setting if not t indulge ourselves a bit?

Primarch

NaughtyKitty

Quote from: Primarch on March 23, 2011, 09:17:10 PM
While as Caela mentioned, I'm still looking for marks/clients, if you're uncomfortably with whats basically a GM type position, I'm not against the idea of an extra role or so being brought in if you can come up with something.

What else is the point of RPing a fandom setting if not t indulge ourselves a bit?

Hmm...you don't want me as a GM, trust me.  lol. 

However....if you guys are cool with a 6th wheel so to speak...I'd love to come up with something.  :)

Ebb

Quote from: NaughtyKitty on March 24, 2011, 09:13:48 PM
Hmm...you don't want me as a GM, trust me.  lol. 

However....if you guys are cool with a 6th wheel so to speak...I'd love to come up with something.  :)

The basic five roles from the show are taken, but I'd certainly be open to adding a member as long as it doesn't step on anybody else's specialty too badly. Just to open the floor for brainstorming, here are some traditional action hero / spy type roles that aren't really covered by the hitter/thief/hacker/grifter/brains spread:

- Driver / pilot. Not sure how much this will come up, as it depends on the plot. But you see it in a lot of 'team' setups. And you can be pitied by Mr. T.
- Demolitions / guns. Not really appropriate for the genre of the show, I think, which is pretty bloodless.
- Science / tech / gadgets. On the show this is combined with hacker, so the computer guy is also the guy who builds all of the cool gadgets. But that could conceivably be broken out. Think Mission Impossible, or Q from James Bond.
- Rich dilettante. On the show the money magically comes from somewhere, presumably from past crimes. We could do a different setup where there's an ultra-rich person bankrolling things, who then insists on coming along. They could also have skills, of course. Robin Masters from Magnum P.I., or Saito from Inception.

In short, I think we're early enough in that something could be shoehorned, as long as the idea seems to sit well with the other players.

NaughtyKitty

I dunno if you guys ever saw the show (it was British, afterall), but there was a short lived show called Hustle that featured a con artist team.  They weren't necessarily out to help people...but they did con generally bad people (First Rule of the Con:  You can't con an honest man).  Like Leverage, there were five members of the team - Leader (Micky), Inside Man (Danny), Roper (Albert), Fixer (Ashe) and Lure (Stacie). 

Ashe, the Fixer, was probably my favorite character....though his duties are somewhat taken up by Hardison on Leverage.  He did a lot of the background work in setting things up such as getting equipment (they once had to fake making a Bollywood Film...so he got them a complete Bollywood movie set, conned a couple police vehicles for another) or making various things (he made a fake 8mm movie for a con saying the Queen Mum was replaced during The Blitz after the real one died, made lots of very official looking badges).  He was a con-artist in his own right as well....often playing roles of all sorts.

Anyway....while some of the things are covered....I think the group could use a Fixer.  She could take care of the toys for the group (I could be wrong but the Hacker character profile I read didn't necessarily say anything beyond working on the computer end of things) as well as setting up any locations needed and getting any equipment they wouldn't specifically have to steal....such as clothing, cars, a SWAT team truck....an Indian Elephant or movie making gear.

I'm thinking she would have some sort of engineering background (probably mechanical) with a lot of hands on experience working with her hands.  Would obviously have a lot of connections.  Knowledgeable about firearms and explosives as required....but no good in a hand-to-hand fight. 

Thoughts?

Ebb

I've never seen that show, but the role you describe sounds great to me. I think in Leverage Hardison does get overloaded sometimes to the point that it stretches belief a little.

I'm most interested in Primarch's opinion, though.

Primarch

I like it. Whilst it does fall into the "Hardison" job so to speak, Acid hasn't seen Leverage either and is more focused on the hacking side, rather exclusively. So yeah, if you fancy it you can make a character revolving around that job.

Acid Lips

HEY!!!1 I am no dummy because I had not seen the series, I know how to read :P hehehe kidding hun, how are ya

NaughtyKitty

Ok..so here's my girl.  What do you all thing? :)

Name: Reese Clancy
Team Role: Fixer
Back-up Role: Gryfter

Skills, talents and training:  Reese possesses two engineering degrees from CalTech, the first being mechanical and the second being electrical.  She has an innate understanding of how machines work that caused her parents no end to frustration as they would often find her having disassembled yet another appliance or bit of kit found around the house.  In high school, she was often the only girl found in the school's shop classes...be it metal shop, wood shop or even auto shop.  Later in her life she found that her resourcefulness and a wide range of contacts made her into the perfect fixer.  She can lay her hands on whatever her team needs...and if she can't find it, she'll make it.  Reese is also proficient with firearms and a number of different explosive types.  While it was Reese's fixing abilities that earned her the well-respected reputation that she has, she is a capable gryfter as well though her gryfting work tends to be in overall support of the main players. 

Record: Does not have a criminal record, though her name is known among security experts. 

Weakness: Is not a violent person and will go out of her way not to harm anyone.  She's no good in a hand to hand fight either. 

Personality: Reese is incredibly intelligent and can figure most things out.  She is very confident, sociable and can get along with nearly anyone.  To those that don't know her professionally, she comes across as the sweet, girl-next-door type.  She is aware that others find her attractive, but doesn't naturally flaunt it (though she is certainly willing to use those assets if needed for a con).  Despite what she does, she is trusting of those on her team and expects them to trust her as well.  She prefers to stay out of the limelight, which is what allows her to work well with a team.

History: The Clancy family is a typical American family.  There was no history of criminal activity there, but Reese was always a little different than the rest of her family.  Though just as intelligent as her mother, father and sister, she found she was not satisfied with her life as she was expected to live it. Growing up in California, she found that she had an affinity for theater and a talent for acting. As much fun as she had with the school theater groups, she still found herself drawn to the technical side of things....and when she graduated high school, went on to CalTech to pursue an engineering degree.  Unable to decide between the two, she dual-majored and graduated with BS degrees in both Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. 

It was also during her college career that she discovered another side to the world. Reese found that it was possible to get people to give her things if she came at them from the right angle and asked in just the right way.  A few small, early successes made her more curious and she dug deeper....eventually diving deep into the world of the con.  For the most part, her cons were limited to her friends at school....little games, tricks and practical jokes.  However, the more she learned, the more curious she became and after graduation she made her family believe that she had received a job offer from a company in London.  When Reese decided that she wanted to try her hand at gryfting....she decided that it would be best to do it somewhere other than home.  That way, she always had a place to bolt back to if needed. 

After the move, she started out with some of the small cons she had read about.  These emboldened her to learn new skills such a picking pockets as well as locks. Reese began to see the world in a new way....and met people with similar views.  She found that if she was smart about it, she could be set for life.  So she kept at it...until one day when she met a man by the name of Ashe Morgan.  Reese had heard of him.....knew that he worked with the likes of Albert Stroller and Mickey Bricks.  Ashe apparently saw something in her because he took her under his wing and showed her the world he lived in...the world of a Fixer in the Long Con.  He taught her that she could use her skills to become a very valuable asset to a team of con artists.  Long Cons required props....sets....gadgets and gizmos.  The man or woman who could get those things whenever they were needed would always have a job.   So Reese watched and learned....and then went out into the world again to earn her reputation. 

Ebb

Sorry for the delayed response. I got stuck for about forty minutes looking at the character picture.

Anyway, looks great to me.

Primarch

Yep yep, looks solid! Welcome to the gang!

((On another note, I hope to be back to posting tomorrow))

NaughtyKitty

Great.  Can't wait to get into the game.  :)