News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Good Fantasy Species?

Started by Xenphir, September 26, 2013, 01:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xenphir

Just wanted to start a little chat on what everyone, Fantasy lovers mostly, thinks are good species for fantasy?

I'd have to say Elven types are pretty good. But that might just be my personal preference  ::)

Vekseid

What are you defining as good? As in good additions to a story, or good as a collective?

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Vekseid on September 26, 2013, 02:00:36 AM
What are you defining as good? As in good additions to a story, or good as a collective?

Wondering the same thing myself.

Will say though the one species I tend to like in every setting is goblins. Dunno why I just think they're cute and hilarious and would like to have a bunch of them to do my bidding.   ^-^
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Xenphir

Either :o If you have a reason why that's a good thing to mention too ^^ But generally what I mean is, a good species is one that, You could play in a lot of settings, has many variations of the species (leaving open for the writer to decide upon what weaknesses they want, not what someone else has wrote about before.) Etc.

Galanthor

I like original Species that don't occure in every franchise...
But i'd say Fae are pretty versatible and not too run in the mill

Shjade

I'm partial to regular ol' humans who are immortal (due to curse, magic, whatever). Interesting having someone who fits into "normal" society but has completely different values from it.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Florence

Dwarves

Sorry, but dwarves are just the best. Its pretty much that simple. You can all have your opinions, but you're wrong... unless your opinion is also 'dwarves are awesome'.

We'll set aside the fact that they're powerful warriors of great strength, skilled miners and peerless craftsmen. We'll even ignore the fact that they brew the best ale and can easily drink any other race under the table with little effort. We'll ignore their great mountain fortresses and impenetrable walls. Dwarves are more awesome than any other race for one simple reason.

Beards
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Galanthor

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on September 26, 2013, 01:00:39 PM
Dwarves

Sorry, but dwarves are just the best. Its pretty much that simple. You can all have your opinions, but you're wrong... unless your opinion is also 'dwarves are awesome'.

We'll set aside the fact that they're powerful warriors of great strength, skilled miners and peerless craftsmen. We'll even ignore the fact that they brew the best ale and can easily drink any other race under the table with little effort. We'll ignore their great mountain fortresses and impenetrable walls. Dwarves are more awesome than any other race for one simple reason.

Beards
You are quite offensive.

Also...meh...the most famous dwarven fightmaneuver is throwing them, i made a little poem for you:

Elves send arrowstorms, Humans ride them down
And the little dwarves are getting thrown.

Oniya

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on September 26, 2013, 01:00:39 PM
Dwarves

Beards

Mr. Oniya had a dwarven cleric in a game once.  He was a follower of Buudizer, and instead of 'Create Holy Water', he had 'Create Beer'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Avis habilis

All did tremble at the sound of his battle cry, "Whazzuuuuuuuuuuuuup!"

Florence

To a dwarf, beer IS holy water! :U

... mixed with some holy hops, some holy barley, some holy yeast... and some holy spices and flavorings if you wanna be festive.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Xenphir

I prefer the elegant and beautiful creatures to things like dwarves. Such as Elves (As stated in my original post) Vampires (Though not sparkly, but I also don't like the Dracula garlic-less ones either.) Humanoid demons, dark angels/angels, things like that. ^^

Though I find Dwarves to be good for group rp's because its always nice to have one around. As long as they are the funny ones and not the rude stuck up ones.

RedPhoenix

Oh I like dwarves. I just don't want to play as one. Also dwarves beat up goblins and are therefore bullies!!!

Galanthor

don't even Goblins beat Goblins up?

RedPhoenix

Galanthor

Unfair...you keep making me awwh  :-[

Sabby

I love anything with human intelligence that isn't bipedal, especially if it's civilized and lives in a society build by it's own kind for it's unique body.

Beorning

I may be strange, but I tend to dislike fantasy species.

Okay, maybe not dislike, but... my favourite fantasy settings are those that don't have dwarves, elves and the like. I prefer the settings where humans are the most populous (or even the only one) race in the world. Like in Conan stories, or like in A Song of Ice and Fire...

That said, I used to have a soft spot for orcs. Back when I was playing MERP, I created this one character, a half-orc young woman with very traumatic past. Never got around to playing her, but she was a good creation, I think. Very mature one - one thing I don't get is the assumptions that orcs and goblins must be silly. Come on, a half-orc in the Middle Earth would be some of the most tragic characters around...

Xenphir

Humans are good too for many a reason. They are easy to deal with since its the species we all know the most, and simple. Though eventually they get boring, to me.

Lancelot

In terms of Good in the sense of morality, I do not believe you can restrict a species to this label. A demon can be morally good, often regarded as a "eudemon" as a result. Not only that, but morality is way too subjective to actually classify, since what we perceive an evildoer's "good" is most certainly not what we perceive a do-gooder's "good" is.

In terms of Good in the effectiveness degree, they're each to their own advantages and disadvantages. Elves often are held exalted (which I'm not fond off, way too overplayed) and Ogres are commonly grotesque (thank you Dragon Quest X for breaking the mold!!) If I had to say a favourite, it would simply be Dragons because they're often OP.

Xenphir

I think all species can be morally good too ^^

Beorning

Even demons? I don't think I agree. Although that kind of depends on the origin of demons in a given setting...

Moraline

I've always liked elves.

- They remind me of Vulcans because of the pointy ears and that is cool.
- I like the version of elf that's almost identical to humans. It makes them seem more plausible, like a simple subset of the human species.
- I also tend to like the ones that are a slightly more model like version of a human. So slim, naturally lean muscled, and youthful in appearance.

I really like all kinds of crazy Star Warsy alien races etc.. but just as a character I would most likely choose it would be elf or plain human. (I do like the Twi'leks from Star Wars too but for slightly different reasons.)

Xenphir

In some story I had going on, on another site, there are lots of demons and some were morally good.

Beorning

Hmmm. If they are morally good, then why are they demons? Demons are *evil* spirits almost by definition...