Elderton: A Lovecraftian Fantasy Drama(LGBTQIA friendly, Sandbox)

Started by Lux12, January 18, 2015, 03:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lux12

Humans wake up each day with only a vague subconscious recognition of the unknown corners of existence. They wake up, go to work, and start their routine over again without openly facing the peculiar and some times terrifying elements of existence. Many do not elect to investigate the fantastic or alien. However, some people cannot help but do so and even they may never witness any extreme manifestations of the shadow side of our universe. However, some of their coworkers wake up every day neck deep them. Those co-workers are those manifestations. The very fact that they are alive means they must live with it in a more personal sense than most could ever hope to imagine. Every day they wake up, go to work, and then grapple with what it means to be a seemingly alien life form among humans. No matter how horrifying or bizarre their true form or nature, they live in two worlds, and Elderton Portland is the one place where they can converge openly. A neighborhood established for the Lovecraftian citizenry who come from all over pursuing different goals. Some have lived here all their life, others seek refuge, and still others come to this place looking for something they dare not speak aloud. Whether they fear persecution or simply wish to find kinship among those of similar nature they are welcome here.

However, life is not all about fearing ignorant hunters who mistake them for real monsters, or the things that go bump in the night which wish to do them harm, or lamenting your feelings of isolation among the populace of humans that simply don't understand you. Some times, it is about sex, relationships, work, desires, dreams, and all those other aspects that humans can easily relate to, even if they are a little unorthodox.  They have lived, loved, celebrated, mourned, and died among us for countless centuries, enduring the everyday struggles that anyone could understand. Yet, there are rumors of dangers in the city. Stories of occult secrets, monstrosities that pose a threat to the eldritch and human kind alike, and criminal activities with a twist of the supernatural. This is a game about the lives of the Elderton's residents and their struggles. A story of drama and survival.

A Shorter Synopsis

In case you didn't want to read the whole teaser, this is a game about beings that might be seen as eldritch abominations or Lovecraftian in nature, no matter how human or inhuman their true form appears and the neighborhood some of them live in. It's about the struggles of life as well as the mirth. It's about a group of people trying to live out their lives in relative peace among a species that doesn't understand them. An exploration  of the human condition through the perceptions and experiences of individuals with alien minds. It's driven by the interactions of the players and there is no central plot per se. However there are rumors of varying nature that if the players elect to investigate them, will lead to serious plot lines which have consequences for the residents of Elderton.The game is as sexual, violent, and dramatic as the players make it. A lovecraftian sandbox drama as the title says.

Player characters are an eldritch creature not unlike those created by Lovecraft or those portrayed in Clive Barkers Cabal or the film based on it, Nightbreed. They do not need to be writhing masses of tendrils and other such body parts. They can even be mostly human looking in their true forms save for a few blatant tell tale signs, nor do they have to be constant sources of unmitigated zany antics. There is a level of cognitive dissonance between how the player characters think and how humans think. They don't have to be ancient beings thousands of years old, but they may live longer than most humans.

Some General Information
Sexualities:All are welcome. Characters given their nature may even have orientations which humans may have no concept of.
Smut level:The focus is on story and player interactions. Smut is allowed, but keep in mind the focus is about the struggles of the characters and their relationships with others in general.
Post Length:Try for one and a half to two paragraphs at least.
Post frequency: Post as often as you like without interfering too much with the interactions of other players. Try for at least once a week.
Writing Perspective:Third person
Characters: This is already discussed elsewhere in the thread, but it should be noted that they are to be at least 18+. They are supposed to be eldritch creatures though I am considering allowing a few sympathetic human characters in.
Combat: While the opportunity for combat exists it is not the focus. Even the more "action" oriented elements will be more about investigation than fighting. If your character has no combat experience, do not play them as if they're a master marksman or martial arts expert.

Presently seeking: 11 additional players and at least one to GM or co-GM

About Elderton Itself

Elderton to the casual passerby looks like a decent neighborhood in Portland Oregon. It's  neither extremely wealthy nor impoverished.  It has several apartment complexes, businesses, and private residences one could could expect from a neighborhood in a large urban zone.  It is collection of both new and old structures. Some of which are left completely uninhabited for reasons that some consider it best not to discuss in public. It is a neighborhood where secrets rule and the nature of it's residents is one every resident is in on. Often times the neighborhood watch will actively discourage most mundane humans from living there, but a few they believe can handle it are allowed to live in Elderton.

The Supernatural

Eldritch beings are not the only supernatural things in the world. There are a host of other beings, powers, forces, and phenomenon out there. They range from the recognizable to the utterly obscure. From the annals of mythology to the strangest of urban legends.

The beings that comprise the host of player characters are of a mysterious origin and their stories are not always the same. No one can predict exactly when or to who one will be born and there is no single cause that explains why. There are a number of explanations out there, but many seem to be individual cases. One theory may explain the origin of some while another may do the same for another subset. There might even be unique causes behind the emergence of other specific to those individuals alone. The eldritch themselves do not truly know most of the time. All they know is that they were born what they are and they have been grappling with it their whole lives. However it should not be assumed they are filled with self loathing. More often, they are irked by the inability of humans to truly understand or tolerate them.

Magic is real and it follows the methods of the occult traditions. Anyone can use magic but it is an art that is difficult to master and yields dire consequences for those who misuse it. Very few have mastered the disciplines of sorcery to the point where they can conjure and cast seemingly on a whim, but even these require some use of the occult traditions. Some people can only work overt magic by coupling occult knowledge with a specific skill they have.

Psychic powers are also real and every living being has some latent form of them. They are ultimately weaker than magic but easier to master. They are the manipulation of internal power vs. external (the art of magic). Psychic powers range from empathy to telekinesis.

A host of spirits both benign primordial and wicked live in the hidden parts of the world. While the primordials are not hostile to the eldritch unless they do something reprehensible, the wicked kind seek to create agony for anyone they encounter.

Ghosts do not differ much from what most people think of, but they  are generally harmless if not a little bothersome.

Shape shifters who inherited the power via some sorcery worked upon a family line or acquired through powerful rituals are present. Though most are no more evil than the average person on the street, one should beware skin walkers who acquired the power through malicious means.

Vampires are a dying breed of supernatural monster. Wracked with the pain of an unlife consumed by a thirst for blood and the nostalgia for a time in which they actually belonged, they find themselves running out of places to hide as society and technology advance. Usually created through vile magic best left forgotten or consumed by a curse wrought by their misdeeds or forced upon them by another vampire, fewer are coming to be and they aggressively fight to maintain what they have.

Then you have the more "conventional" (if they can be called that) lovecraftian creatures which seem to be outright abominations that pose a threat to the eldritch and mortal a like. Unfortunately, they have a particular interest in the residents of Elderton and it's reflected in the ever so prominent local rumor mills. They feed countless stories that circulate around the neighborhood of strange cults, abductions, murders curses, artifacts, and cabals. They are the single greatest threat to the livelihood of the residents and all of those around them. Fortunately, one does not obtain the power to pierce the veil between worlds so often that those living in Elderton are under constant assault, but they are the other reason a neighborhood watch exists. If it's not the government, law enforcement, misguided hunters, or some other threat raising hell, it's something like this.

As far as the Divine is concerned, all manner of occult traditions work and all reflect a certain truth about the reality of the universe. So it is far from absent, but it is mysterious. Opinions and viewpoints about the Deities/Spirits/Other Divinities is up for the characters to decide for themselves. I will leave the precise nature of this aspect up to the individuals imagination. However, one should not attempt to force a single viewpoint onto another player. This is a thing of mystery.

Characters
As a note, characters do not have to be based directly on something Lovecraft came up with, but something about them should evoke the Lovecraftian. They can appear very human save for some jarringly strange physical features when their true form is revealed or entirely alien. They do not have to be a par of any special clan or species. While powers and traits may be inherited from parents, many of the eldritch are unique individuals.

Rumors
Rumors are plot threads that can lead to conflicts or discoveries. Consider these to be optional quests of sorts. If a character chooses to investigate one, it will trigger a subplot which will have an impact on the neighborhood and perhaps even the broader city as well as individual characters. If they are not investigated, then the plot lines will remain inactive until someone chooses to. This section will contain a list of the rumors circulating in Elderton at the start. They will be added as new ones arise.

WIP

Full Name

Sex/Gender Identity: Human notions of sex and gender identity may not even apply to your character so feel free to put what you want here.
Birthday:
Height:
Sexual Orientation: Human notions of orientation may not apply to your character so put down what you believe describes them best.
Skills:
Powers: Every eldritch being has a certain set of powers which can encompass virtually anything. However, try to avoid putting down "invincible" as a power or anything that would make your character totally unstoppable. I put a cap at six powers to start with.

Human Appearance: When your character is masking their true nature, what do they look like? Describe in at least a paragraph if  you don't have a picture or you wish to elaborate.

True Form: The form of the eldritch when the mask of humanity is pulled away. As previously stated they can appear as human or inhuman as you desire. However there should be at least three tell tale physical traits.

Cognitive Dissonance: While the characters are supposed to have some very human traits and desires, their mindset is not human so there is bound to be a difference in the logic they use and their sense of morals. Describe at least in a paragraph the alien elements of their mindset.

Personality: Describe in at least one paragraph a characters personality

Ons & Offs:

Background: Describe in two paragraphs the life story of your character. One should take care to include whether they were unwittingly born to humans or creatures similar to themselves if they know their parents.

Rules
1. No God moding. Also do not make characters who are literally Deities or major spiritsto avoid this.
2. Be respectful of a players ons and offs. If they say no, listen.
3. Do not create a character who is sociopathic and just doing what they do for the sake of being evil. Despite the Lovecraftian influences, the game hinges around the characters not being the monsters people might think they are.
4.Obey the site rules. Just to emphasize one in particular, no underage characters.
5. Try to avoid creating characters that are outright sociopathic. They would not be tolerated well by a population trying to blend in as best they can.
6. Whatever the GM says, is final. Any issues one has may be discussed and amended if necessary, but otherwise, this is the case.
7. If you have any ideas you'd like to share, feel welcome to propose them.
8. If you want to drop out of the game, please discuss it with the GM to come up with a decent send off for said character.
9. Drawings or photos are accepted as a means to represent characters. However, please avoid using those of widely recognized celebrities or canon characters. It takes some people out of it.
10. I have set the current player cap at 12 people with one character each to prevent things from becoming messy. If one you create is rejected, feel free to come up with another concept and re-apply.

Lustful Bride

EDIT : Sadly after thinking it over some more, I am afraid I will have to withdraw my interest. I have far too many roleplays as it is now.

Sain

I just skimmed over, but this looks like my kind of game.

e. Gave it a more comprehensive look over. Looks nifty. Could some sort of outer being that's manifesting a humanoid avatar (or possessing someone) in the real world work or is everyone a monster with physical form?
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Crash

Okay this just sounds fun.  I will keep an eye on this.

I think she might make a pretty good take on a humanoid Star-spawn...

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Lux12

Quote from: Sain on January 18, 2015, 04:16:33 PM
I just skimmed over, but this looks like my kind of game.

e. Gave it a more comprehensive look over. Looks nifty. Could some sort of outer being that's manifesting a humanoid avatar (or possessing someone) in the real world work or is everyone a monster with physical form?

The concept assumes characters are beings with physical forms. However, it is an interesting angle and I'd like to discuss it more to get an understanding of how that might work in play. So I'll consider it, but as I said, I think a bit of discussion would be required.

Sain

Quote from: Lux12 on January 18, 2015, 06:08:38 PM
The concept assumes characters are beings with physical forms. However, it is an interesting angle and I'd like to discuss it more to get an understanding of how that might work in play. So I'll consider it, but as I said, I think a bit of discussion would be required.

I'll drop some foundation ideas for such concept before heading to sleep.

First and foremost to make such being interesting for this campaign I would imagine an incentive for them to be attached to physical world would need to be added. I would suggest doing this with a two fold layer. First the character would need to be attached to the physical body, even if their 'real' self wasn't in it. Perhaps they have spent eons acquiring enough energy/power to create the avatar or (perhaps a more interesting approach) the character being able to possess a physical body (either a created avatar or a real person, that limitation can be either as I don't really care much for this particular detail) can only be achieved as part of some extremely elaborate ritual performed by someone else. I think it's fun if the character could be 'banished' and then perhaps some friendly player characters might at one point get them another body.

The second layer of attachment that I toyed with would be more related to the consciousness. Perhaps in that extradimensional form the character could not quite keep coherent thoughts or emotions and was your typical utterly inhuman intelligence. Well, once they possessed a real body and began acting through that perhaps it had a very deep effect on their psyche. Now the character has developed more humane traits like emotions and can work out thought processes which follow real logic and they are quite attached to that. Would add another fun reason for that sort of being to fear losing the body as they might have no idea if they could keep their current memories/personality if their link with the reality was severed.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Lux12

Quote from: Sain on January 18, 2015, 06:42:32 PM
I'll drop some foundation ideas for such concept before heading to sleep.

First and foremost to make such being interesting for this campaign I would imagine an incentive for them to be attached to physical world would need to be added. I would suggest doing this with a two fold layer. First the character would need to be attached to the physical body, even if their 'real' self wasn't in it. Perhaps they have spent eons acquiring enough energy/power to create the avatar or (perhaps a more interesting approach) the character being able to possess a physical body (either a created avatar or a real person, that limitation can be either as I don't really care much for this particular detail) can only be achieved as part of some extremely elaborate ritual performed by someone else. I think it's fun if the character could be 'banished' and then perhaps some friendly player characters might at one point get them another body.

The second layer of attachment that I toyed with would be more related to the consciousness. Perhaps in that extradimensional form the character could not quite keep coherent thoughts or emotions and was your typical utterly inhuman intelligence. Well, once they possessed a real body and began acting through that perhaps it had a very deep effect on their psyche. Now the character has developed more humane traits like emotions and can work out thought processes which follow real logic and they are quite attached to that. Would add another fun reason for that sort of being to fear losing the body as they might have no idea if they could keep their current memories/personality if their link with the reality was severed.

Both of those sound quite interesting. I think I'll allow for those as character design options.

Lux12

Well I figured I should bump this and see if there's any more interest.