Superman renouncing his U.S. citizenship

Started by gaggedLouise, April 29, 2011, 01:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaggedLouise

Superman renounces his US citizenship - at least he threatens to do so in the new Action Comics issue. His non-violent protest against the Iranian regime is labeled an American act of war and superman decides to distance himself from Washington. "I don't want my actions to be put down because of their being construed as tools of U.S. policy" is his rationale.

- http://tinyurl.com/3zapp7z

Predictably, the story provoked serious anger among right-wing bloggers. I'm waiting to hear Sarah Palin and Bill O'Reilly on this.

Standout comment on the Guardian site: "If Superman really existed and had been raised in America's bible belt the world would be a scary place"  ;D

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

TheVillain

Frankly, "The American Way" has changed so much since the 20's that I'm glad for this change. I am reminded when Marvel had Captain America get asked for a reporter how he can truly stand for American Ideals when he doesn't have a facebook page or watch NASCAR.

The American Way now-a-days aren't anything worth fighting for. What was once Truth, Justice, and Freedom, now just means selling out for large corporations and other morally disgusting crap to make a buck.

Good for you Superman. Maybe we don't really stand for anything anymore, but Superman still can.

Pardon my cynicism.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Pointless Digression

Wait a tic. Isn't Superman an illegal immigrant?

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Pointless Digression on April 29, 2011, 05:13:56 AM
Wait a tic. Isn't Superman an illegal immigrant?

Are you suggesting the U.S. failed to offer diplomatic recognition of the planet Krypton?  ;D

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Sabby

consortium11

Its worth noting that not so long ago Krypton (or at least New Krypton) declared war on the Earth...

Marvel also got some flack from the right wing for having Captain America (although it may have been Bucky at the time) basically give a tongue lashing to some heavily negatively stereotyped tea-party members.

When comic books writers handle politics they normally lay it on pretty thick regardless of what opinions they hold.

Pointless Digression

Quote from: gaggedLouise on April 29, 2011, 06:24:55 AM
Are you suggesting the U.S. failed to offer diplomatic recognition of the planet Krypton?  ;D

Congratulations. You made my head explode when I stopped to consider the complications in statesmanship in the comic book universe.

Tamhansen

Actually Superman was legally adopted as an abandoned orphan. Hence he had a SSN, so he could get a job at the planet.

As for Sarah palin, maybe she will like an ambassadrial post with her important allies "the north koreans " :P
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Zakharra

Quote from: Katataban on May 07, 2011, 02:13:48 PM
Actually Superman was legally adopted as an abandoned orphan. Hence he had a SSN, so he could get a job at the planet.

Wasn't Clark Kent the one that was adopted? Superman is his susperhero identity. Or is the fact he is Clark Kent public knowledge now?

Tamhansen

Not sure. But it still makes him legal. That and he was once made citizen a long time ago. back in the 40's or so
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Sel Nar

Actually, back in the early 70's, the UN passed a motion to grant Superman Citizenship in every recognised nation of the world.

(Also, the line '... and the American way' was only added to his mantra in 1942, 3 years after his introduction.)

Pointless Digression

Quote from: Sel Nar on May 07, 2011, 07:32:21 PM
(Also, the line '... and the American way' was only added to his mantra in 1942, 3 years after his introduction.)

In other words, for 'only' 96% of the time the character has existed.

Sel Nar

Be that as it may, it was originally added as patriotism due to the US' involvement in WW2.

krakenknight

Quote from: Sel Nar on May 07, 2011, 08:12:38 PM
Be that as it may, it was originally added as patriotism due to the US' involvement in WW2.
The last time "The american way" wasn't a four letter word. Superman is a known apolitical anyway. Remember Superman 4.

Shjade

Quote from: Sel Nar on May 07, 2011, 07:32:21 PM
Actually, back in the early 70's, the UN passed a motion to grant Superman Citizenship in every recognised nation of the world.
If that's the case his having a U.S. citizenship is irrelevant since he's no more a citizen there than anywhere else. Suggests the writers for this particular incident are unaware of his being a citizen of the world.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Pointless Digression

Quote from: Sel Nar on May 07, 2011, 08:12:38 PM

My point is, he's been fighting for the American Way longer than he's been flying.

Zeitgeist

Reading the replies to this and have to wonder, are (Americans) really this narcissistic and self-loathing? Really? No, as a country we are not perfect, but I hate to break it to you, no one is. Nevertheless people risk their lives to come here, hell they risk the lives of their children for a chance here. I don't know know what that tells you, but it tells me everywhere else must suck more.

Wyrd

*Reads title post.* OMG Ya'll!!! Sups is renouncing his American citizenship!!?? THis Matters!! *Blows imaginary brains out now that super man is no better then those damn Commies!*
Ragtime Dandies!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Zamdrist of Zeitgeist on May 25, 2011, 12:01:46 AM
Reading the replies to this and have to wonder, are (Americans) really this narcissistic and self-loathing? Really? No, as a country we are not perfect, but I hate to break it to you, no one is. Nevertheless people risk their lives to come here, hell they risk the lives of their children for a chance here. I don't know know what that tells you, but it tells me everywhere else must suck more.

It's more of the reasoning for the action.

Was it done to make a point to those 'meanies' in Washington like the whole Ultimates 2 comic series was a off hand smack to our actions in Iraq?

Or was it a commercial move by the studios in preparation for another attempt at a movie (Widening the market appeal by taking out the national identity elements, like they did with the slight color change in the costume in the last movie. The color of it was changed to NOT reflect the American Flag's colors)

It wasn't for the sake of a story element. It wasn't part of an on going storyline. It was a pointed move on the behalf of the editorial staff at DC, though it's not given WHY they did it.

Me? I think they did it to 'widen world appeal by making Supes a 'world hero' and not an 'American' one' (Or something similar in studio speak)

Zeitgeist

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 25, 2011, 12:14:39 AM

Me? I think they did it to 'widen world appeal by making Supes a 'world hero' and not an 'American' one' (Or something similar in studio speak)

This is my opinion but I think comic book artists, writers and editors, being a part of the artist genre, are generally speaking left leaning, and thus a measure self-effacing, loathing mindset creeps into the stories. There are exceptions of course but that's how I see it. That said I actively buy, and read a fair number of issues myself.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Zamdrist of Zeitgeist on May 25, 2011, 05:28:34 PM
This is my opinion but I think comic book artists, writers and editors, being a part of the artist genre, are generally speaking left leaning, and thus a measure self-effacing, loathing mindset creeps into the stories. There are exceptions of course but that's how I see it. That said I actively buy, and read a fair number of issues myself.

Yeah like the editor in chief at marvel a few years ago when the killed Steve Rogers saying on TV that he was an out dated relic that was relevant in the modern world. Lots of servicemen got pissed at that considering Cap reflects how we should be in Uniform a lot better than say... Deadpool or the Punisher.

Wyrd

Captain America clearly wasn't that out of date. I mean they brought him back and what not. :P
Ragtime Dandies!

TheVillain

Like we needed a reason to hate Quasada. I loved it when his in-comic arguement boiled down to "he doesn't know about Youtube and Nascar, he obviously doesn't know anything about the core values of America anymore".

And Zam, lefties aren't self-loathing. Only looking out at the direction America is taking and giving a collected "What the Hell, Hero?"
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Callie Del Noire

And.. without fanfare.. Supes dances back into the US citizenship.

HairyHeretic

So what way did the story progress then?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.