Dungeons & Dragons System Game [Discussable tags] - Tag discussion

Started by Machete, November 15, 2009, 01:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Machete

As I said in my intro, I have been roleplaying in some capacity for several years.  However, all of my table top experience was during lunches and/or breaks while I was in high school.  I took part in Dragon Ball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Runescape-based games.  I have been interested in Dungeons & Dragons for years even though I bought my first D&D stuff the year before 4e came out and have yet to play it.  I have wanted to learn how to DM/GM for a while as well.  Thus, I am proposing a seven player campaign that I start out as co-DM of with a more experienced DM as my partner.  My partner has the option of creating a player character at the beginning because I will eventually want to run the game myself.  If my partner elects not to make a PC at the start, I will notify him/her a few weeks prior to me starting to run the game on my own and ask if s/he would like to create a character whose level is comparable to the other PCs or create a level one character.

What I have
3.5e
Dungeon Master's Guide, Player's Handbook, and Monster Manual I-III - Physical
Complete Adventurer, Arcane, Divine, and Warrior - Download

4e
Complete Adventurer and Martial Power - physical
Dungeon Master's Guide, Player's Handbook, and Monster Manual - download

RubySlippers

I've been a GM before in DnD and have the 3rd Edition with sufficient materials to run but just the core books, so won't consider anything exotic just basic plain old character classes and races. If you have the Forgotten Realms materials placing the game there for me would be easiest for me.

But I'm game to principle GM and if not that play.

GreenHavok

RubySlippers

I will note I have DnD 3.0, not 3.5 as far as that set of rules go. If that makes a difference.

Brandon

Im somewhat interested myself, not just as a player but as a DM as well. Im guessing that what you need is ideas on how to put together a campaign, bring the initial party together, and how to mix encounters and roleplaying together?
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Machete

Quote from: RubySlippers on November 15, 2009, 05:47:38 PM
I've been a GM before in DnD and have the 3rd Edition with sufficient materials to run but just the core books, so won't consider anything exotic just basic plain old character classes and races. If you have the Forgotten Realms materials placing the game there for me would be easiest for me.

But I'm game to principle GM and if not that play.

Quote from: RubySlippers on November 15, 2009, 09:29:05 PM
I will note I have DnD 3.0, not 3.5 as far as that set of rules go. If that makes a difference.

I would love to use Forgotten Realms as well.  However, I only have materials for 3.5e or newer, none of which are settings because I was planning on finding an in-person game before trying an internet game.

Quote from: Brandon on November 15, 2009, 09:44:38 PM
Im somewhat interested myself, not just as a player but as a DM as well. Im guessing that what you need is ideas on how to put together a campaign, bring the initial party together, and how to mix encounters and roleplaying together?

That I do.  Which rules do you have?

Brandon

I mostly run out of Pathfinder system (which is dubbed 3.75 edition) now a days but I can also run things in 3.5 and adapt any 3.0 material to 3.5 or pathfinder
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Angel Fire

I would be interested... however I have not played D&D since... well lets just say that 2nd Edition was the best there was back then.

My, times have changed since then, have they? Lol
Can you capture this fiery Angel and make her yours?!  Try before she slips away into the night... If you wish.
May we spread our wings and soar the heavens together for all time - Angel
My Theme Song - Can I be your Heart's Desire?

Kunoichi

Well, for those who don't have access to the 3.5 rulebook, the SRD is a free and legal source for most of the basic rules.  There isn't anything needed for starting at a higher level of play and none of the classes have their starting gold listed, but the basic mechanics are there. ^^;

There's also the psionics rules, although I can understand if you don't want to deal with those at the moment.

Brandon

Acctually I have always felt that Psionics should be learned when you first start the game. That way it gets ingrained into your mind early on. If you wait, it becomes much more difficult to add in

That all said, one thing I say that all New DMs should do is rule that the material the players can use should be core only + psionics.

RubySlippers

Well I have access to the free 3.5 materials but all my physical materials are 3.0, thankfully there is no major issue there for me.

Proposed Character Generation
Point Buy: 32 pts.
Starting Level: 2
Maximum Starting Gold
Forgotten Realms Setting [Regional Rules Apply, as per 3.0]
All standard classes/races for Core Rules and the Forgotten Realms
Psionics: NO (co-GM wants to go there talk to them when they take over)

Vote on This: Do you want to use the Guide to Unlawful Carnal Knowledge or not? I found it free online and will find a link if the majority want to use it.

And you must cover all the bases. Since I'll be doing a character, a Bard.

MzNurse

I'd like to play a cleric or a druid, but only have access to 3.5 rules and books. Is Carnal Knowledge like the Book of Erotic Fantasy? If so, I have that and vote yes.
Mz's O.O   Mz's Downtimes   Story Ideas  Open for a few new rps. PM me.

DeviantMunster

Tentatively I'd like to add my name to the list of potential players. I have 3.5 but... I -really- have problems in making characters, though I'm sure I'll manage by myself! Might need to have it looked over once though...

As for voting, I suppose using different books would be interesting. I'm also for psionics being implemented.

RubySlippers

I really HATE psionics. I know they were in 1st Edition but that doesn't man its a good idea to use them. That and I think the 3.5 rules for them are horrible.

Machete

That makes seven people.

Ruby, the CG you provided is good.  However, I would rather the characters start at level 1.

There will be no Psionics, this is non-negotiable.

Personally, I have no problem if one PC or more is transgender or transsexual.  What do all the participants think about that possibility?

DeviantMunster

*blinkies* I don't mind. And alright, no psionics then! I suppose I'll make a sorceress, or wizard.

Kunoichi

Quote from: RubySlippers on November 16, 2009, 02:05:21 PM
I really HATE psionics. I know they were in 1st Edition but that doesn't man its a good idea to use them. That and I think the 3.5 rules for them are horrible.

I'm not trying to argue that psionics should be allowed in or anything like that, I'm just a bit curious. ^^; What exactly makes you think that the 3.5 psionics rules are horrible?  I've found them to be pretty well-designed overall, and certainly not overpowering in any way.

Brandon

I dont have any problems with Transgender/sexual characters. In fact Ive always found my futanari style characters to be very complex and fun to play. However individual comfort levels need to be kept in mind for them

Psionics tend to get a bad rep because of some good players vs. DMs who dont/refuse to learn the system and still allow it. The first time I played a telepath this happened and the DM got pretty pissy with me because I was over shadowing everyone. It was not my fault that the groups tactics developed around my mind fucking abilities but I toned it down anyway. Somehow I continued to overshadow everyone (even though I felt I was being overshadowed) and the DM ruled Psionics overpowered and banned it from his game, telling me I had to reroll. I pretty much said no way and quit the game. The morale of this story is, DMs need to really learn how Psionics work, they cant just skim through the book and say ok.

Anyway, seeing that we have one who wants to play a cleric (My usual preffered class) I think Ild like to change it up and make a ranger

Aiden

I have been in the mood for a dnd game, if you have a spot I'd like to join.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=163784

Not really much into it for the sex side of the story, since he is an orc I doubt anyone would want to get plowed by a massive hunk of sinew and aggression, I just love playing an orc.

Sheet is lvl 1, and I can change it accordingly if there is room.

MasterMischief

Quote from: Brandon on November 16, 2009, 06:43:47 PM
Psionics tend to get a bad rep because of some good players vs. DMs who dont/refuse to learn the system and still allow it.

Thread drift:  I am not familiar with 3.5 Psionics.  So I can not say whether they are overpowered or not.  I have run many systems (G.U.R.P.S., Hero, Mutants & Masterminds) where certain abilities and/or certain ability combinations disrupt the style of game I wish to run.  An easy example is telepathy in a mystery game.

I believe you were, at the very least, partially responsible that the group's tactics revolved around your mind fucking abilities.  You took the abilities and played them to a point where they were obviously becoming a problem for your GM.

GMs have a lot on their plate already without having to become experts in your preferred field.  Sure, in a perfect world, GMs would know all the rules forwards and backwards.  Sure, a GM unfamiliar with a certain rule set should probably not allow it in the beginning.  Of course, a lot of GMs want their players to have fun and bend over backwards allowing things they probably should not.

I believe the players share some of the responsibility of making the game enjoyable.  I believe that the GM is entitled to enjoy the game as well.  Players should work with the GM to make sure they do not gum up the works.  Do not tromp all over the campaign and then turn around and blame the GM for letting you tromp all over the campaign.

Ixy

Quote from: Aiden on November 16, 2009, 06:55:40 PM
Not really much into it for the sex side of the story, since he is an orc I doubt anyone would want to get plowed by a massive hunk of sinew and aggression, I just love playing an orc.
Um...  really?  If the sinew and aggression have bathed properly, I could dig it... ;)

Tossing in my hat, since it looks like my 3rd game is going tits-up at the moment. 

So, somebody said ranger, cleric, sorceress/wizard, barbarian-- we need a rogue?  I like rogues.

Machete

Ivy and Aiden, I cannot guarantee your spots in the role play considering you actually missed the official sign-ups.

The current participants are the first seven to explicitly state their interest: Angel Fire, Brandon, GreenHavok, RubyDlipers, DeviantMunster, MzNurse, and myself.

RubySlippers

Well I'll keep this simple. So I'm keeping the game simple Core Rules Only, PHB 1 and Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting information. For other source materials the Magic of Faurun can be used in fact it must be used for spellbook construction since I will ,if the enemy is cagey, target books if they can hit them. Most of the tough eneies will not be stupid they steal or if they have to blast a mages spellbook they castrate the mage - unless a sorceror.

Prestige classes can come from all these sources, magic items and spells.

In short no psionics unless the co-GM wants to run your character with them when she takes over. If your in a need to actually play a psionic character then find another GM I don't want to bother it will be tricky enough with seven people as is.

RubySlippers

I have to back out running this I just don't want to run seven people, its a large group even larger than my table-top game and I find those four just enough player size for me.

I'll still play.

Ixy

Typically, there's about a 20-50% attrition rate when it comes to joining a game here...  People will flake-out and drop over silly reasons, will offer to run the game and then back out and expect someone else to run it once the interest is generated, will make a character who just broods, posts a sentence or two per week, doesn't roleplay until there's combat (or sex), etc.  so maybe a spot will open up.  I'd appreciate being able to apply if that's the case and this game still takes off.

I hope the game goes well either way... best of luck.