[Arcadia] Changeling - Modern Fantasy - Magic School - Adventure - LGBTQ Welcome

Started by Intimate Ink, August 19, 2021, 09:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crash

Non-Book Magic and Magical Techniques are not something I should have at character creation correct?

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Aethyrium

Quote from: Crash on January 17, 2022, 11:14:03 AM
Non-Book Magic and Magical Techniques are not something I should have at character creation correct?

That is correct. Actually there are two magical techniques all characters will have, I just forgot to update the sheet template. I'll ship it off to you when we're doing the sheet review.

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Crash

Totoro

Is a phoenix an option and, if so, which seeming fits? My head's saying Wyld.

Envious

It looks like you're well on your way to joining the fun! I'm looking forward to writing with you again.

Crash

Quote from: Envious on January 17, 2022, 06:07:18 PM
It looks like you're well on your way to joining the fun! I'm looking forward to writing with you again.

I submitted my first run at a character.  We will see how close I am!

CurvyKitten

I have to stop in and say that I love this game! It’s been going for a bit, but the GM’s are great at working people in. And the players are welcoming as well. It’s become one of my favs, and I can’t say enough good about it.

So come one, come all, ~puts out cookies~ join in the fun and the amazing stories that are being created!

Aethyrium

Slowly but surely Arcadia approaches yet another time changeover. This time, for the first time, we're going to be looking at a bit of a timeskip. The first trimester of the student's year is about to end, winter break about to be upon them. When we change, we'll be jumping forward roughly six weeks to the start of the second trimester!

Have you been considering embracing your fae side? There's never been a better time.

Crash

Xanatos

Hello,

I am posting tentative interest. I still have a fair bit to look over, or so it seems, but I do have some questions.

What is the difference between Bunks, Cantrips, and using Glamor? I've only seen one mention in regards to using Glamor and it seems(?) like its 'real magic'? I mean that in terms of stereotypical fantasy, like lightning bolts, disguising oneself, illusions, etc. But I haven't seen any concrete definition on that. Whereas, Bunks and Cantrips seem identical. So I am confused in how the whole magic system works in this game. Especially since its so different from the 'norm' in fantasy settings.

The other is in regards to Seemings. For the moment, I am eying Fairest and Forgers. It mentions a Fae is not specifically one or the other, so if say I choose the term Succubi for a Fairest, then she is not actually a Succubi, instead having Succubi-like traits? Lastly, it shows the Forgers as being Goblins, Kobolds, etc. If I went Forger, would I be able to choose something else that has Forger traits? I'm personally not a fan of playing Goblins and such.

Thanks for your time.

Aethyrium

Quote from: Xanatos on April 09, 2022, 03:09:18 PM
Hello,

I am posting tentative interest. I still have a fair bit to look over, or so it seems, but I do have some questions.

What is the difference between Bunks, Cantrips, and using Glamor? I've only seen one mention in regards to using Glamor and it seems(?) like its 'real magic'? I mean that in terms of stereotypical fantasy, like lightning bolts, disguising oneself, illusions, etc. But I haven't seen any concrete definition on that. Whereas, Bunks and Cantrips seem identical. So I am confused in how the whole magic system works in this game. Especially since its so different from the 'norm' in fantasy settings.

The other is in regards to Seemings. For the moment, I am eying Fairest and Forgers. It mentions a Fae is not specifically one or the other, so if say I choose the term Succubi for a Fairest, then she is not actually a Succubi, instead having Succubi-like traits? Lastly, it shows the Forgers as being Goblins, Kobolds, etc. If I went Forger, would I be able to choose something else that has Forger traits? I'm personally not a fan of playing Goblins and such.

Thanks for your time.

Hello there! Let's see what I can do to clear some of this up:

Glamour is equatable to 'mana', it is the in-world energy that fuels magic. A Verse is a 'spell', which needs to be fueled by Glamour in order to produce an effect, alternatively an individual may utilize a Bunk of the appropriate level to pay the cost of the Verse instead of utilizing Glamour. The reason for doing this is because, until learned, changelings have poor 'Glamour-control', and casting directly from their 'mana-pool' is a dangerous act. Cantrips are akin to 'minor verses' (until sufficient level/development), that are able to be used freely, not requiring Glamour to be fueled - they're simple, innate magics that require so little Glamour to utilize they have effectively no cost.

So in practice it looks like this. A changling has a Verse which conjures a lightning bolt and they wish to use it. They decide if they will pay for that Verse using a Bunk or using Glamour. A Cantrip is a different type of magic, similar to a Verse, but that doesn't require any payment. If you're interested and have the time, there is a pretty good In-Character explanation of this that can be read in this post.

It should be noted that you are not playing your seeming - they are merely your connection to the dreaming. The fae creature that was inbued into you, that turned you from mortal to changeling. But they do not speak, interact, react, or otherwise get 'played'. They are ever present expressions of the characters, an echo of the characters 'past'. In play they get depicted as a sort of flavorful ribbon, a sort of slightly-background trait, and usually serve as tethers for the GMs to yank on - regarding the details of their past, which the character is unaware of. Which seeming type you choose is entirely up to you - while we can say "many goblins are forgers", not all goblins are so. So yes, you Seeming (the creature you once were) could be a succubi and be and your character could be a forger. These are entirely decoupled from one another - your seeming type, regardless of what 'avatar' you choose, is whatever you want it to be. Seemings are used in two ways - seeming type (warrior, fairest, etc) and Seeming (the fairy soul attached to the character).

As far as "is a Succubi a Succubi" the answer is in short, yes. But your character isn't a Succubi. They're a changeling. A human, imbued with a fairy soul - which may have been the soul of a succubus, or a dragon, or a giant, or an elf, or anything else - and is now neither human or true fae. So your Seeming may have been a Succubus, but the character you are playing is not that.

Xanatos

Ah, that clears things up nicely. Thank you. I'll have to do some more reading now and see where I end up.

Crash

It took me a little while to get the hang of it but the GM’s here are super patient.  The players are too. 

Nim

Hello  Intimate Ink,

I have read all of the information on this game which was posted in the interest thread and am very interested in playing.  However I do have only a couple of issues which may or may not effect my being able to participate.  To be perfectly honest  I really do not have the time to set up a character profile which is as detailed as what you have asked for.  I am far more used to an open world posting type of system.  Books, specific talents in a character profile I am not to familiar with and would much rather come up with a character including possible scenarios to go along with the main plot than to be guided by roles of dice so to speak.  I would love to join this game as a story writer and participant.  I wouldn't even mind for situations to effect my character to help the story along.  Or even limits being placed on her as long as they are discussed in PM's or on discord if you prefer.  If this is acceptable to you I would love to join this group. If not thank you for you for your time and consideration.

~Nim~   

Xanatos

There are no rolls made in this game. It is entirely freeform. The character sheet is as much a way for Ink and Aethy to keep track of things, as for the player to do the same. Think of it more like a dossier on a character. Instead of a sheet for mechanical crunch. Several aspects of the character sheet are also used by the GM's (Ink x Aethy) for possible plot purposes. How your character reacts/acts determines character growth, not mechanics. I'm still new, so can't speak to a whole lot more in regards to how they run things behind the scenes, but rest assured this is not a system-based game in terms of dice rolling.

The game, and most of the players, have been playing the game for over a year. Close to two, if I am correct. They have accomplished a lot and are still going strong. I've already had some fun, even in my short time in the game. The gang is chill and friendly. I'd suggest taking another look at things. I was somewhat uncertain when I first gave a look, but the more I delved, the more I got hooked. I'm very glad I took the time to figure things out, ask questions, and absorb what is available.

Layne Spooks

I can promise its much easier to play than a lengthy character sheet can make it look. It didn't take me too long at all to get a grasp of everything and the GMs (as well as the other players) are super understanding, chill and helpful. This is a game you won't regret joining, and I'm sure we'd all love to have you!

Nim

Quote from: Xanatos on May 04, 2022, 10:46:28 PM
There are no rolls made in this game. It is entirely freeform. The character sheet is as much a way for Ink and Aethy to keep track of things, as for the player to do the same. Think of it more like a dossier on a character. Instead of a sheet for mechanical crunch. Several aspects of the character sheet are also used by the GM's (Ink x Aethy) for possible plot purposes. How your character reacts/acts determines character growth, not mechanics. I'm still new, so can't speak to a whole lot more in regards to how they run things behind the scenes, but rest assured this is not a system-based game in terms of dice rolling.

Thank you Xanatos

The game, and most of the players, have been playing the game for over a year. Close to two, if I am correct. They have accomplished a lot and are still going strong. I've already had some fun, even in my short time in the game. The gang is chill and friendly. I'd suggest taking another look at things. I was somewhat uncertain when I first gave a look, but the more I delved, the more I got hooked. I'm very glad I took the time to figure things out, ask questions, and absorb what is available.

Nim

Layne Spooks

Thank you for the information.  I'll start developing a human character for liberation from a dreary world by the Fae.

Aethyrium

Quote from: Nim on May 04, 2022, 08:20:01 PM
Hello  Intimate Ink,

I have read all of the information on this game which was posted in the interest thread and am very interested in playing.  However I do have only a couple of issues which may or may not effect my being able to participate.  To be perfectly honest  I really do not have the time to set up a character profile which is as detailed as what you have asked for.  I am far more used to an open world posting type of system.  Books, specific talents in a character profile I am not to familiar with and would much rather come up with a character including possible scenarios to go along with the main plot than to be guided by roles of dice so to speak.  I would love to join this game as a story writer and participant.  I wouldn't even mind for situations to effect my character to help the story along.  Or even limits being placed on her as long as they are discussed in PM's or on discord if you prefer.  If this is acceptable to you I would love to join this group. If not thank you for you for your time and consideration.

~Nim~

Hello Nim,

Thanks for your interest, we're glad that Arcadia caught your eye! We're always happy to bring new people along on the adventure.

We definitely understand time limitations, however setting up a character sheet is required for play - that's just not a thing that's going to be avoidable. However, good news, you can take your time getting your sheet setup; you're welcome to PM Intimate Ink (or I) with character creation details, and if it takes you a week or two, or even three to get your character all set up, that's no problem - you wouldn't be the first! Once you did get it all setup, we'd be able to introduce you as smooth as any other time.

Yeah, open world total freeform games are great. Unfortunately that's just not the sort of game that Arcadia is, and we wouldn't be able to facilitate a character operating under those guidelines while everyone else was bound by the 'system' as it is presented. But the good news is that the books (specifically the examples within are guidelines, not the only options) all allow for that freeform feel. You get to design the abilities of your character from scratch. So in a way, the way Arcadia's magic works allows you to explore those freeform abilities with the limits you're talking about already baked in!

Like Xanatos mentioned, it's not a dice game, or a system game by any means. Just a game with some framework on how magic works, and what individuals are capable of. It's great that you're willing to have situations effect your character, Arcadia has been known to put characters on an emotional rollercoaster or two, so there's lots of great drama to get involved in - and create for yourself, a considerable amount of the amazing work that has gone into this game has all been player created.

Quote from: Nim on May 05, 2022, 12:12:54 AM
Layne Spooks

Thank you for the information.  I'll start developing a human character for liberation from a dreary world by the Fae.

I'm unsure if you mean human human or are refrencing the characters as human, so I figure I'll tap on this while I'm here. A human character - that is a character who is not a changeling, as outlined in the first post of this recruitment thread - would not be appropriate for Arcadia. Unfortunately a human character just would not have a reasonable way to interact with the game. You say liberation, and Ink and I would definitely need to see details on what you mean by this - Arcadia isn't housing a bunch of human slaves against their will. This sounds more like a plot we would run (the students saving a human captive from evil fae in the Dreaming) rather than a concept that'd fit with the idea of "School that is teaching new changelings what it means to be a magical being, and to integrate that truth into their lives", which is sort of the core concept of Arcadia. But! If you have specific ideas in mind, please, feel free to run them by us, we try very hard to incorporate the things that interest players the most.

Nim

I have no issues with working up a character sheet.  I'll work on that later today.  By human I was referring to whether or not she has already been taken by the fae and is already a changeling or if as I imagine her someone who has basically lived in and out of "Fairie land"  All of her life but didn't realize it.  Hasn't yet been taken away by the Fae.  I plan on going back and reading everything more carefully.  Sometimes I read to fast for my own good.