A DC Universe Of Our Own (Mutants & Masterminds Variant)

Started by Norsegod1839, December 04, 2017, 12:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norsegod1839

Greetings! If you are reading this I hope all is well and you are having a good day! I thank you for taking the time to look at my thread and hopefully this interest you.

So what am I looking to do? Well in the most basic sense I was thinking of spinning off our own version of the DC Universe! Much like my interest in a Marvel universe I also want to do one for a DC Universe.

What does this mean? Well comics books are a multiverse. You know the new 52 and the other alternate versions of the comic book characters. This would be our own universe set in that comic book multiverse.

I am not sure how this one would start. We can have the Justice League forming for a threat that has come to earth or something else if it makes more sense. Alien invaders like Braniac Darkside or something even more small time could all work. I am thinking the best intro would be the initial formation of the Justice League but that doesn't necessarily have to be the case.

From there we can do spin off missions and the like! Also if you want to join as a one off hero that's fine to you don't need to join the Justice League and we can go from there.

Any super hero character idea is welcome! I would like to get a good mix of classic heroes with new origins and also original characters.  I also don't mind you doing crazy new origins for original characters! If you want some kind of gender bent Batman who is a pirate then I don't care! I only ask!

1. To have a good reason for doing what you do to the character
2. This be a good mix of story and smut (Ir if you're just here to have sex then look on!)

I've never done a traditional DM DnD type setting. One of my biggest regrets is that I have never gotten a chance to really do a dice type role playing game. So while I am unfortunately a newbie to it I would love to maybe bring in those elements to the thread! However that would require partnering with someone who is more knowledgeable about that stuff. I don't mind doing it without a dice based system or something akin to that but also wouldn't mind the other..

So if making your own versions of DC characters and creating a unique universe in the DC world appeals to you let me know! I am primarily interested in garnering interest so if you are comment on this thread!

Thank you for your time

Aaron

Updated with the character sheet thread

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=279731.0

You can find our character sheet here! Please bear with us as it is a work in process and all the kinks have not been ironed out.

As well! Here is a link of everyone currently interested if you're name is not on this list but are interested please pm me or write in the thread itself

Erotic Literacy

Wander

TF Commando

Metraxa

Vixen

Sith Lord

Valerian

Yurie

Yurie

If you wanted a superhero system, you could always use Mutants and Masterminds. It even has an SRD that you can find at http://www.d20herosrd.com/ . A PL 10 game would work for a Justice League scenario.

I'd be happy to join in, just as an FYI.

Norsegod1839

I would love to use the system! I wouldn't even be against playing the game but definitely want to do it in the DC setting!

Great! So far its just been you but I believe more shall come!

Valerian

I'm always intrigued by alternate universe supers, though in this case I might be hard-pressed to find a character that would fit, since the super I'm most wanting to play right now is my take on Poison Ivy and she doesn't really seem like Justice League material.   ::)  But I'll keep an eye on the thread and see if perhaps other inspiration strikes.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Norsegod1839

Quote from: Valerian on December 07, 2017, 02:56:39 PM
I'm always intrigued by alternate universe supers, though in this case I might be hard-pressed to find a character that would fit, since the super I'm most wanting to play right now is my take on Poison Ivy and she doesn't really seem like Justice League material.   ::)  But I'll keep an eye on the thread and see if perhaps other inspiration strikes.

We are going to need villains! someone for the league to go up against or just villians in general! I should have put that in! If you want to be a villain you can!

Metraxa

Hm, I have an idea for a character I'd like to be, just working out the kinks in the idea. But hey, this could be fun

Norsegod1839

Quote from: Metraxa on December 07, 2017, 09:36:49 PM
Hm, I have an idea for a character I'd like to be, just working out the kinks in the idea. But hey, this could be fun

Welcome! Let me know! And dont forget original DC characters are up for grabs!

Diesel Heart

I'll throw my interest in.  Do you have a character sheet or should I take liberty?

Norsegod1839

Quote from: Diesel Heart on December 07, 2017, 10:15:41 PM
I'll throw my interest in.  Do you have a character sheet or should I take liberty?

nope! Unless you guys feel there is a super hero RPG DnD sheet we can use or co opt!

Diesel Heart

Valerian

Quote from: EroticLiteracy on December 07, 2017, 03:13:19 PM
We are going to need villains! someone for the league to go up against or just villians in general! I should have put that in! If you want to be a villain you can!

Well, this particular version of Poison Ivy could just as easily end up as a hero depending on how her back story is handled, but I'm concerned about the power level.  She wouldn't necessarily be a lot of help against something like an alien invasion -- aliens would probably have very different biochemistry, for one thing -- and if she went villainous she wouldn't be enough of a challenge for the league unless she was part of a group.  But I'll ponder some options and see if I can come up with something.  :)
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Norsegod1839

Quote from: Valerian on December 08, 2017, 08:16:48 AM
Well, this particular version of Poison Ivy could just as easily end up as a hero depending on how her back story is handled, but I'm concerned about the power level.  She wouldn't necessarily be a lot of help against something like an alien invasion -- aliens would probably have very different biochemistry, for one thing -- and if she went villainous she wouldn't be enough of a challenge for the league unless she was part of a group.  But I'll ponder some options and see if I can come up with something.  :)

Since its going to be based on a dice system and also other things relating to DnD I am sure we can figure something out! I mean if there was an alien invasion she could just as easily control the plants around her and use those to attack! I would never make or break a character! After all Batman doesnt even HAVE powers and he can be an asset in an alien invasion! I say go with the one you want and we will figure out a way to make it work!

Norsegod1839

Quote from: Diesel Heart on December 07, 2017, 10:35:03 PM
There's this one:  DC Universe d20 Mutants & Masterminds Character Sheet

What do you think Diesel? Should we use this one? I took a look at it and it looks good more or less! I dont think we need to all do illustrations per say (I'm shit at drawing)

Metraxa

Quote from: EroticLiteracy on December 07, 2017, 09:38:10 PM
Welcome! Let me know! And dont forget original DC characters are up for grabs!
Yeah, I have an idea. I think you'll find her a bit shocking ;)

Norsegod1839

Quote from: Metraxa on December 08, 2017, 11:18:38 AM
Yeah, I have an idea. I think you'll find her a bit shocking ;)

Oh I can't wait!

We also need some members to be the big three! I am hoping to play Batman but I could be convinced not to if someone else wants to take it! I would love to do a Bruce Diana relationship as well!

wander

I actually own DC Universe, which is just a reskin of Mutants and Masterminds, which the srd was linked to above, along with the character sheet.

PL 10 is a nice starting level tbh for characters, though they'd be more Teen Titans/Suicide Squad level than the Big League, however it's a nice level to start with due to being pretty damn powerful though not too OP that the GM will struggle with making a challenge or there being too many 'Flying Bricks' about.

Batman in my Heroes/Villians books has a PL of 12, though is built higher than the points for that, whilst as examples for PL 10 (there's loads more) we got people like Arsenal, Batwoman, Beast Boy, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Captain Boomerang, Captain Cold, Catwoman, Cyborg, Green Arrow, Harley Quinn etc. It's essentially 'Arrow-verse' tv show level of power, which I think is pretty agreeable.

Norsegod1839

Quote from: wander on December 08, 2017, 04:41:01 PM
I actually own DC Universe, which is just a reskin of Mutants and Masterminds, which the srd was linked to above, along with the character sheet.

PL 10 is a nice starting level tbh for characters, though they'd be more Teen Titans/Suicide Squad level than the Big League, however it's a nice level to start with due to being pretty damn powerful though not too OP that the GM will struggle with making a challenge or there being too many 'Flying Bricks' about.

Batman in my Heroes/Villians books has a PL of 12, though is built higher than the points for that, whilst as examples for PL 10 (there's loads more) we got people like Arsenal, Batwoman, Beast Boy, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Captain Boomerang, Captain Cold, Catwoman, Cyborg, Green Arrow, Harley Quinn etc. It's essentially 'Arrow-verse' tv show level of power, which I think is pretty agreeable.

Thank you Wander for the info! Would you be interested in helping us with it? Since it seems like a system your familair with? I am super new to the idea of table top and DnD roleplaying! So the PL and stuff I can understand or concept but would love some help on it.

But from what I understand you are saying you would say PL of ten would be the ideal for htis kind of group? Even in regards to the big three like say Batman?

wander

I could help, if the interest is there sure. I'll say I know how the system works, I've not played it as much to say I'm a vet, though I own DC Universe and have every hero and villian from DC (pre New 52 at least) you can think of. I have played it, it takes a little to get used to, though when you know how the rolling works, it's pretty fun stuff and not too crunchy for new people to balk at whatsoever.

Also Complications are a generally narrative device each character has, flaws which can cause issues though also pay back special Hero Points to do stuff the character may otherwise not be able to. Examples are Supe's Kryptonite weakness and his responsibility in keeping Lois Lane safe. These are not statted and are up to the players to come up with for fun dynamics they don't mind putting their character before. Basically stuff that is relevant to their Bio and Personality profiles :)

Basically PL (Power Level) is how many points you invest into making a character. At PL 10 (just for example) this will be 150pts. I haven't looked at the SRD as I actually own the corebook and character books myself, though if it delves into character generation any, that number will be helpful.

PL 10 is the general default level for most games and is tried and tested to work really well. Not so powerful to be a hassle, though the players will feel like bosses and tbh, the game isn't exactly balanced, you can make OP doods if you know what you're doing, even with fewer points. You can go higher or lower if you want, though it's recommended to go with PL 10 at first. Characters get experience anyway and can level up, which nicely explains how new powers get discovered, or new gear is added to their powers, training between patrols, that kind of thing.

In regards to the Big Three, they work as they are statted as more like... You know like how the established heroes are like in Young Justice compared to the main characters in that series? Like that. They are all playable though. Depends if you want party balance really.
I'll say it's super easy to trim down their power levels and abilities to fit any PL you want and you can for sure build functioning expies of them as PCs. As the players here are gonna be making their characters as they want, there's gonna be some differences, as like how I see Batman is going to be different to how you may see him and how he was statted out also.

I don't want to go too stat heavy in explaining the game here, as really stats become only really relevant in the action scenes and I feel that may put people off in number crunching, so I'll spoiler below and for those interested and for EroticLiteracy to look at and digest.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
The Batgirls in the books are lower powered versions of the Batman sheet, with adapted Complications to show their differences in character, Cass Cain is PL 10.
I know someone who made Power Girl for a PL 10 (150pts) game, even though she's rated at PL 13 and statted with 262pts, basically it can be explained that they're a younger version of the character or holding back their powers, or some other thing (an alternate universe version of the character is also a nice simple excuse).

Pretty much any DC character can be tanked up or nerfed to hit that PL 10 mark. Nightwing is a premier PL 10 character and can be tweaked to be more Batman like. Oracle has a similar sheet to Nightwing, also at PL 10 though tweaked to represent the fluff of those two being different. Raven and Red Hood (Jason Todd) are two more rated at PL 10.

Superman is PL 15 (289pts) and Wonder Woman is PL 15 (273pts). This would normally be PL 18 for Diana and PL 20 for Supes, though they're built in a way to work for that lower PL and are rated as such, though I'll explain more on that in another post.

Norsegod1839

Quote from: wander on December 08, 2017, 07:43:25 PM
I could help, if the interest is there sure. I'll say I know how the system works, I've not played it as much to say I'm a vet, though I own DC Universe and have every hero and villian from DC (pre New 52 at least) you can think of. I have played it, it takes a little to get used to, though when you know how the rolling works, it's pretty fun stuff and not too crunchy for new people to balk at whatsoever.

Also Complications are a generally narrative device each character has, flaws which can cause issues though also pay back special Hero Points to do stuff the character may otherwise not be able to. Examples are Supe's Kryptonite weakness and his responsibility in keeping Lois Lane safe. These are not statted and are up to the players to come up with for fun dynamics they don't mind putting their character before. Basically stuff that is relevant to their Bio and Personality profiles :)

Basically PL (Power Level) is how many points you invest into making a character. At PL 10 (just for example) this will be 150pts. I haven't looked at the SRD as I actually own the corebook and character books myself, though if it delves into character generation any, that number will be helpful.

PL 10 is the general default level for most games and is tried and tested to work really well. Not so powerful to be a hassle, though the players will feel like bosses and tbh, the game isn't exactly balanced, you can make OP doods if you know what you're doing, even with fewer points. You can go higher or lower if you want, though it's recommended to go with PL 10 at first. Characters get experience anyway and can level up, which nicely explains how new powers get discovered, or new gear is added to their powers, training between patrols, that kind of thing.

In regards to the Big Three, they work as they are statted as more like... You know like how the established heroes are like in Young Justice compared to the main characters in that series? Like that. They are all playable though. Depends if you want party balance really.
I'll say it's super easy to trim down their power levels and abilities to fit any PL you want and you can for sure build functioning expies of them as PCs. As the players here are gonna be making their characters as they want, there's gonna be some differences, as like how I see Batman is going to be different to how you may see him and how he was statted out also.

I don't want to go too stat heavy in explaining the game here, as really stats become only really relevant in the action scenes and I feel that may put people off in number crunching, so I'll spoiler below and for those interested and for EroticLiteracy to look at and digest.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
The Batgirls in the books are lower powered versions of the Batman sheet, with adapted Complications to show their differences in character, Cass Cain is PL 10.
I know someone who made Power Girl for a PL 10 (150pts) game, even though she's rated at PL 13 and statted with 262pts, basically it can be explained that they're a younger version of the character or holding back their powers, or some other thing (an alternate universe version of the character is also a nice simple excuse).

Pretty much any DC character can be tanked up or nerfed to hit that PL 10 mark. Nightwing is a premier PL 10 character and can be tweaked to be more Batman like. Oracle has a similar sheet to Nightwing, also at PL 10 though tweaked to represent the fluff of those two being different. Raven and Red Hood (Jason Todd) are two more rated at PL 10.

Superman is PL 15 (289pts) and Wonder Woman is PL 15 (273pts). This would normally be PL 18 for Diana and PL 20 for Supes, though they're built in a way to work for that lower PL and are rated as such, though I'll explain more on that in another post.

You and I can always take it back into PM's and discuss it! I dont want to get so crazy on the elements that it turns off the casual players but I would definetly like to incorporate this DnD stuff into the thread!

And I want you guys input as well! Since this is a team effort! For those of you that have expressed interest so far and want to join! If any of this feels not comfortable or you have a suggestion please let me know!

Yurie

A good question would be what 'style' we want this game to be. Do we want to go full capes and spandex and fight evil aliens and such, or is this going to be more street level, Batman-esque shenanigans. Either way, I've got a few concepts in mind for characters...

Norsegod1839

Quote from: Yurie on December 08, 2017, 09:08:16 PM
A good question would be what 'style' we want this game to be. Do we want to go full capes and spandex and fight evil aliens and such, or is this going to be more street level, Batman-esque shenanigans. Either way, I've got a few concepts in mind for characters...

I mean I would say both! Thats kind of the best part about DC there is a good mix of both

I havent decided how its going to work for usre yet! I imagine we would have justice league missions then maybe GM of smaller missions with groups or two people depending on what you guys want! I also want this to be a collaboration! So I definitely want to hear what you guys think! Both or do you want to focus on one thing specifically?

Norsegod1839

http://all.your-base.org/Rules/MM3/DC%20Adventures%20Heroes%20And%20Villains%20Vol%202.pdf

Here we go guys! I have this! Which we can choose to follow or not for the canon characters!

wander

There's two volumes of that altogether, that looks to be Volume 2. The heroes and villians are listed alphabetically, so A-K is in volume 1.

For sure though you can see how characters are made and statted out plus with the SRD linked upthread, that should be all that's needed to play.

As for those put off by numbers, as I stated before character sheets generally only become important in action. Also, incase it's a worry for some, it's practically impossible to die in DC Adventures, at most you're taken out of the current scene. Death is more GM fiat in M&M.

Of course some characters can do such things as mental control and paralysis with the 'Affliction' power (which given we're on E, means fun sexy hijinks!).

You'll notice that a Power is named, this is their 'descriptor' (completely up to the player, though of course if you name something like 'magic' and someone has a nullify magic power, it'd be affected. The opposite is like Supes is weak to magic and so giving your power a nifty name can help and hinder) and then what the power is and how it's ranked is then listed. For example, David Cain (Cassandra's father) has this;
QuoteNerve Strike Affliction 6 (Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed, Immobile, Paralyzed).
The bolded bit is what the power has been named (players can name their powers whatever they like), then what follows is the crunch, which you can see is a Rank 6 Affliction which affects movement. So there's a level of freedom and adaptability to what powers you want your character to have and how they're represented.

Metraxa

This is DC comics, Death is just a temporary setback :V

wander

Lol, Superman killed death in the '90s after all. Now anyone can come back, though it happens more often in Marvel's camp, especially if a new movie with that character is coming up... ::)