What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kythia

I have seven of those.  I leave working out the missing two as an exercise for the reader.

TaintedAndDelish

Quote from: AmberStarfire on June 29, 2016, 07:40:58 AM
Winter is coming?

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/space/the-sun-has-gone-blank-twice-this-month-this-is-what-it-means/news-story/d775ecf894ab68415ed0108ced31a4e2

An interesting bit from the article got me thinking. I wonder if periods like this could cause some degree of mutation furthering evolution or possibly leading to an increase in cancer? ( I'm not a biologist, just a curious reader. )

Quote“Solar wind decreases and sun’s magnetic field weakens during solar minimums making it easier for cosmic rays to reach the Earth,” he explains.

“This is a more dangerous time for astronauts as the increase in potent cosmic rays can easily shatter a strand of human DNA. Also, during years of lower sunspot number, the sun’s extreme ultraviolet radiation (EUV) drops and the Earth’s upper atmosphere cools and contracts.

Oniya

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on June 29, 2016, 05:55:28 PM
An interesting bit from the article got me thinking. I wonder if periods like this could cause some degree of mutation furthering evolution or possibly leading to an increase in cancer? ( I'm not a biologist, just a curious reader. )

It's going to be more of an issue outside the Van Allen belt, if I remember my college astronomy course correctly.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Kythia on June 29, 2016, 04:54:45 PM
I have seven of those.  I leave working out the missing two as an exercise for the reader.

Imma go with the lower belly and the fingers.

Oniya

I've heard that throat tattoos are pretty excruciating.  Of course, that's the same 'region' as the hands/fingers.  (Which are probably also painful as hell, based on tissue thickness.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

AmberStarfire

I'm genuinely not sure. I've heard of it discussed in terms of radiation (cosmic rays in space, unless that's something different) but apart from that I don't know.

Quote from: Oniya on June 29, 2016, 06:22:48 PM
I've heard that throat tattoos are pretty excruciating.  Of course, that's the same 'region' as the hands/fingers.  (Which are probably also painful as hell, based on tissue thickness.)

I got one done between the top of my arm and my neck (kind of on the fleshy shoulder part). That was kind of sensitive.

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Kythia on June 29, 2016, 04:54:45 PM
I only have one.

gaggedLouise

I think by "reach the Earth" they're talking on a solar system distance scale, so the sense would be: these high-energy cosmic rays of the sun would have an easier path to reach near-earth space (or the space around any planet) but not the surface of Earth itself. The atmosphere still remains a good shield against this kind of heavy radiation, so down on the ground the dip in sunspots won't make much of a difference for the inflow of heavy solar radiation. But astronauts living or travelling on board a spaceship are exposed to cosmic radiation even when they're not walking around on the outside, so it would make a difference to them.

Note, it's the weakening of the magnetic field of the sun they are picking up on, not any weakening of the field around the Earth or any depletion of the atmosphere.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Renegade Vile

As far as I know, cosmic radiation does not really cause mutation in any significant degree, however, it can cause illnesses and other nefarious side-effects. If Earth did not have the magnetosphere, out atmosphere would have been blasted away by solar winds (in part solar radiation) and we'd be left exposed to die. As lady Louise mentioned though, they're talking about the field surrounding the Sun, which will increase what reaches the Earth, but I don't think enough of it will reach the surface to be a threat, hence why they mention it's primarily an issue for electronic equipment and personnel like astronauts in orbit around the planet.

Granted, I'm far from an expert on this, but this is as far as I understand it.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Renegade Vile on June 30, 2016, 03:03:09 AM
As far as I know, cosmic radiation does not really cause mutation in any significant degree, however, it can cause illnesses and other nefarious side-effects. If Earth did not have the magnetosphere, out atmosphere would have been blasted away by solar winds (in part solar radiation) and we'd be left exposed to die. As lady Louise mentioned though, they're talking about the field surrounding the Sun, which will increase what reaches the Earth, but I don't think enough of it will reach the surface to be a threat, hence why they mention it's primarily an issue for electronic equipment and personnel like astronauts in orbit around the planet.

Granted, I'm far from an expert on this, but this is as far as I understand it.

The Fantastic Four would beg to differ. ;D

Renegade Vile

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on June 30, 2016, 04:08:33 AM
The Fantastic Four would beg to differ. ;D

*Laughs* And if memory serves, an older age Flash got his powers from inhaling hard water fumes so...

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lilias on June 30, 2016, 06:13:53 AM
I know, right? ::)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36654901

This is unrelated, I just like bashing the guy:

QuoteGuy Verhofstadt spent his whole career in politics. He began as a city councillor in 1976 after studying for a law degree. He served as prime minister of Belgium from 1999 to 2008. He has also sat as a Member of the Chamber of Representatives and a Member of the Senate in his home country as well as on a number of company boards.

One of the several people who did a good job ruining the Belgian economy *thumbs up*. There's a good reason he fled from the Belgian political scene and headed up to Europe.

gaggedLouise

Yep, I could name several top Swedish government politicians, ministers and MEPs over the last thirty years who have practically never had a day-to-day job outside of the political sector.  ::)

Beguile's Mistress

Looking at the two places Farage was quoted is it "I know none of your have never done..." or "I know none of you have ever done..."?

I'm hoping the first is a misprint.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on June 30, 2016, 08:15:38 AM
Looking at the two places Farage was quoted is it "I know none of your have never done..." or "I know none of you have ever done..."?

I'm hoping the first is a misprint.

At this point, I would honestly not put it passed the guy. Besides, they did say the speech was obvious largely unprepared, so...

Beguile's Mistress

...he's doing a proper job of demonstrating use of a double negative?

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on June 30, 2016, 08:32:52 AM

No, that he stumbled over his words and said things like 'your' where it obviously does not belong. I've watched fragments of the speech and he's just rambling.

EDIT: In other words: I was just making a facetious joke at his expense.

Beguile's Mistress

*grins*  I'm at work and we don't allow speakers so I have no sound and really no time right now to listen to his speech.  My own comments are limited to the disparity between the two quotes, each from a different source and a play on his "proper job" expression.  I'll have to listen when I get home, though another rambling pol is nothing new.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on June 30, 2016, 08:52:08 AM
*grins*  I'm at work and we don't allow speakers so I have no sound and really no time right now to listen to his speech.  My own comments are limited to the disparity between the two quotes, each from a different source and a play on his "proper job" expression.  I'll have to listen when I get home, though another rambling pol is nothing new.

I wish I could find it, but our prime minister gave a speech in broken Dutch (he's from the southern half where they often do not learn both languages despite the law requiring them to) a year ago that was also improved. I don't remember the circumstances, but apparently he'd misplaced his notes or something, so he had to do it from memory. It was horrifying and hilarious at the same time. WWE's Great Khali made more sense when he tried singing Christmas songs...

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on June 30, 2016, 08:32:52 AM

I think I've been quoting him to several people as saying "I know none of you guys have ever...". A more American way of putting it, but Farage likes to talk in a brash Clint Eastwood style anyway.  :D

Also, as Farage was being massively booed for that line, the speaker of the EUP - Martin Schulz, I think - finally urged the floor not to behave like UKIPers.  :P

gaggedLouise

Just checked - the precise wording is "I know that virtually none of you have ever done a proper job in your lives".

HairyHeretic

I'm surprised there hasn't been any comment on Boris declining to run for the PM spot, though frankly I don't blame him. That's a posioned chalice right now and no mistake.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.