Apocalypse World (Now Closed & Ended)

Started by Cold Heritage, March 11, 2014, 01:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Heritage

Hello fellow Elliquiyans. I bump this message in the hopes that I can attract some more players into this game of Apocalypse World. Sadly, we recently lost Riveda, who was playing the incomparable Truth Strong, the Hocus leader of the Strong family. He will be missed. That leaves us with four players, and we have recently completed a session change that leaves us in a very ideal place for new interest to jump aboard! Our post-apocalypse currently boasts:

Thufir Hawat - Hardholder - Uncle Marco
Ebb - Savvyhead - Amanuel
SgtDan - Quarantine - Warner
CarnivalOfTheGoat - Chopper - Rez

Currently the action is in the hardhold. There's plenty of trouble brewing: someone sent Uncle Marco's workers into a drug-fueled rampage that needed to be put down; Rez and Warner are at odds over one whale of a misunderstanding; Amanuel is happily working away with machinery. A place in this mayhem is open for you, fellow Elliquiyan.

Caveats: this game uses the Apocalypse World game system. I can probably explain most of the rules to you, and you can download a .pdf with the playbooks (think class from D&D, but more archetypal) and some of the basic rules at http://apocalypse-world.com. If you do have the book and access to the limited edition playbooks, a few are off-limits because I'm freshly brewed newb-sauce at MC'ing: the Macaluso, the Marmot, and the Space Marine Mammal. Otherwise, any playbook not already taken is wide open to be snatched up.

If there's any interested parties, I've been giving some serious thought to attempting to run a game of D. Vincent Baker's Apocalypse World. At this point this thread is just an interest check to test the waters rather than an actual recruitment thread.

Edit 22/03/14: Somewhat belatedly, here is a link to the OOC. https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=199515.0 It's elsewhere in this meager thread, also.

Edit: 18/04/14: Looking for some more people.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Juggtacular

CarnivalOfTheGoat

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Thufir Hawat

Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Ebb

It's a great game. I'd be interested in playing.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Four isn't a bad start. Of course, you really kind of want to get everyone in at once the way character generation works.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Rook Seidhr

Interested. Have you run or played in any of the Apocalypse Engine games before?

Cold Heritage

Quote from: Riveda on March 12, 2014, 06:24:33 AM
Interested. Have you run or played in any of the Apocalypse Engine games before?

I have not run any of the Powered by the Apocalypse games before. I have played in a few brief Apocalypse World games and a brief Monsterhearts game.

I should have mentioned my gross inexperience. Please accept my most profound apologies for this oversight.

Rook Seidhr

*shrug* Everybody's got to start somewhere. Still interested.

Cold Heritage

Alright. If everyone else is still on board with this, I think the next step would be to pick out Playbooks. Maybe just chime in with which one you would like to play, and wait until that is settled before going on further.

Rook Seidhr

I am so effin' tempted to play the Space Marine Mammal but I don't want to throw any screwballs at a first-time MC…

Skinner. Just to put the curse on this game. Because I really want to play the Skinner but every time I try the game fails in setup or the first couple of scenes.

Maybe I should play the Hocus instead.

Ebb

I'd be interested in either the Savvyhead or the Driver.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

I'm thinking I might do a Chopper.

Edit: dropping the second choice so I don't have too many characters a-building in the back of my skull. I can always pick it up later if there's a collision.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Rook Seidhr

I would take it as a personal favor if we stuck to core playbooks, or at least core + "official" LE. There are so many playbooks out there of dubious quality and balance…

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Riveda on March 14, 2014, 01:40:52 PM
I would take it as a personal favor if we stuck to core playbooks, or at least core + "official" LE. There are so many playbooks out there of dubious quality and balance…

Unless I'm very confused everything posited so far has been core, 'cepting the Space Mammal. ;) Which...Isn't that one of the LEs? :) And you were kind of kidding about that one, right?

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on March 14, 2014, 02:39:17 PM
Unless I'm very confused everything posited so far has been core, 'cepting the Space Mammal. ;) Which...Isn't that one of the LEs? :) And you were kind of kidding about that one, right?
Yes and yes. I was replying to your post before the edit.

Cold Heritage

Out of curiousity, CarnivalOfTheGoat, what was your other tentative and now removed consideration?

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Riveda on March 14, 2014, 02:43:21 PM
Yes and yes. I was replying to your post before the edit.

*Grin* That explains it.

Quote from: Cold Heritage on March 14, 2014, 05:27:33 PM
Out of curiousity, CarnivalOfTheGoat, what was your other tentative and now removed consideration?

Oh, I haven't messed around with The Spectacle or Rat Pack and thought they looked somewhat interesting, but having said that, I also haven't messed around with Chopper, and I have a very hard-defined Chopper in mind now which came together quite neatly in the past hour or so. So no need to worry about it unless someone absolutely has their heart set on playing a Chopper.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Cold Heritage

I've read the Spectacle. I thought it was pretty neat.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Cold Heritage on March 14, 2014, 10:03:37 PM
I've read the Spectacle. I thought it was pretty neat.

It looked potentially entertaining. ;)

But I've got a pretty solid chopper idea now.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Cold Heritage

I guess if nobody chimes in with a life or death burning urge to be the Chopper, CarnivalOfTheGoat, consider that Playbook yours.

Did either of you have any more certain inclinations, Ebb and Riveda?

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Since it seems relevant, I've played AW exactly twice, once on RPG.net and once F2F. Neither campaign finished. I was part of an MH game here, but lost access for a while. One of the things which I find somewhat mindblowing about AW is just how BIG people's respective NPC coteries can become. We had a faceoff between a Hardholder and a Hocus, and just the scope of 'okay, half the population just went to war with itself' was a little mindboggling. It's one of the things I find most distinctive about the game, other than its rules-set: the characters aren't assumed to be 'solo (anti)hero movers and shakers' but are instead actual leaders of communities which are built to be as disfunctional as the characters they follow.

Things can get really intense, really fast, especially when community survival is at stake for everybody in the city.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Ebb

I think having a Savvyhead around to fix all those bikes would be a good fit with the Chopper. So let's go with that.

Rook Seidhr

CarnivalOfTheGoat's anecdote inspired me to be a Hocus.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Ebb on March 15, 2014, 04:09:58 PM
I think having a Savvyhead around to fix all those bikes would be a good fit with the Chopper. So let's go with that.

Quote from: Riveda on March 15, 2014, 04:57:10 PM
CarnivalOfTheGoat's anecdote inspired me to be a Hocus.

*Grin* It begins. Hopefully we can grab a couple more people. In my experience, 6-7 is a good number for a PbP game, if you want to have 4-5 players. <_<

Also, 'Carny' is fine. :)

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek: