Legend of Dragoon OC RP

Started by JayNighte, April 02, 2014, 11:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayNighte

Have any of you RPers ever heard of Legend of Dragoon? I was hoping to have a spiritual sequel RP of it here, where we each create a character that will discover a Dragoon Spirit - or perhaps each of the spirits could be based off of a different mythological creature.

JayNighte

For those who do not know what Legend of Dragoon is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Dragoon
It was a game where people go on an adventure, and end up trying to save the world, much like a Final Fantasy game. However, they each found an elemental Dragoon Spirits, which allow the user to fuse with the spirit of a Dragon, gaining special armor, wings, and the ability to use powerful magic.

Green Goo Theory

I am bummed you never received any kind of response or attention to this thread.  I had been searching for LoD based roleplay for more than a decade now with hardly any success. 
Coming soon...

JayNighte

Perhaps we could work together to find some good LoD RP. I am not sure how, as I can't PM or give you "personal" information such as IRC info or Skype info.

*sigh*

Rajah

Are you planning to run the game yourself?
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

Green Goo Theory

I wouldn't mind trying to run something.  I don't have allt he write-ups I used to have for the setting though.  The problem isn't finding a willing leader or GM but to find willing members.
Coming soon...

Idej

A cult classic of mine, I beat the crap out of that game.  100% completion and overleveled by the time I got to the end.

WOnderful game.  Bittersweet ending in my opinion.

JayNighte

One of my favorite RPs of all time. I just hope we don't need two Wind elemental characters :P

But seriously. I would love to either GM OR play as one of the characters - the latter more than the former, especially since someone offered to GM. Thank you, Tonberryshuffle. I am still willing to GM or co-GM if you want me to, though...

Green Goo Theory

If we cna get the cast for it.

Chances are I'd need to also have a DMPC.  Which I really would want to avoid if I could.
Coming soon...

Rajah

We have at least three people interested as players, and there tends to be at least a few more who'll show up to an actual game but not an interest check. How many are you looking for?

Green Goo Theory

Close to a whole dragoon party, probably.  Maybe not all of'em.  It'd be better if I could do without having to fill a role in the party if I'm also DMing.  I don't like using DMPC's if I can help it. 
Coming soon...

Rajah

Well, it's up to you - you could look for completion later on with rolling acceptance or just not worry about a perfect circle, so to speak, if you don't want to run your own character.

Green Goo Theory

What kinds of characters is everyone interested right now anyway? 
Coming soon...

JayNighte

What do you mean? Element? Personality? Role?

EdwardShane

I could give it a try if you guys are open to allowing me to join, perhaps...I can't say I ever got a chance to beat the game itself yet due to circumstances beyond my control, but I did get through disk one a couple years back.  I really did love the game though, and hope to play fully through it one day.

Green Goo Theory

Quote from: JayNighte on May 01, 2014, 03:30:43 PM
What do you mean? Element? Personality? Role?

Anything.  Element, character personality, maybe history (just a general preference since nothing of the setting is set yet), character race?  whatever you might have possibly thought up so far.

Quote from: EdwardShane on May 01, 2014, 04:27:16 PM
I could give it a try if you guys are open to allowing me to join, perhaps...I can't say I ever got a chance to beat the game itself yet due to circumstances beyond my control, but I did get through disk one a couple years back.  I really did love the game though, and hope to play fully through it one day.

If I was running the game I wouldn't require people that were experts on the game anyway.  It's more believable that way when a character doesn't know something. 
Coming soon...

EdwardShane

Quote from: Tonberryshuffle on May 01, 2014, 04:36:57 PM
Anything.  Element, character personality, maybe history (just a general preference since nothing of the setting is set yet), character race?  whatever you might have possibly thought up so far.

If I was running the game I wouldn't require people that were experts on the game anyway.  It's more believable that way when a character doesn't know something.

Just a few questions...what races would you allow?  Are there weapon restrictions for particular elements?  Is it okay to call dibs on particular elements, and what would the general function of each element be in your mind?

Green Goo Theory

I'd be fairly lenient on the choice of races.  I would lean towards balance though.  Something like a wingly, Gigantos, minitos, etc would all be allowed.  I really don't care about weapon choice for the respective elements.  Not sure on calling dibs just yet; if everyone wants the same element it may cause problems. 

Finally, what do you mean about 'general function'...? 
Coming soon...

EdwardShane

By general function, I mean what does each element do?  Like...a lot of games and RPs have elements do specific things.  Like fire focusing on doing high amounts of straight up damage, light based magic doing buffs and healing, darkness crippling foes, earth being balanced between offense and defense, etc etc.  Just as examples...I don't recall the game really doing a lot of this, but some GMs like to add tweaks like that anyway.

Though...those races I am not familiar with (or maybe just don't remember) off the top of my head.  I should refresh my memory on the world this will take place in.

EdwardShane

Ahhh okay.  Now I remember the races....I just didn't remember, it's been so long since I played what little I got to.

Green Goo Theory

Yeah, they had a few obvious races.  Winglies the uber magical race (with obvious exceptions), Gigants, and hobbit or halfling like minintos.  Obvious humans are obvious. 

As for the function of elements I'd pretty much leave it to how things were done in-game.  We saw some elemental-related attacks visible in higher end additions.
Coming soon...

EdwardShane

All right then.  I know what I -want- to play then, just not sure if it would be okay to call it yet. >.< lol. 
I had in mind a Winglie Dark Dragoon...still working on the rest of the char concept.

Green Goo Theory

I don't mind winglies.  I just wouldn't want someone like Lloyd who was also a full blown Dragoon.  I mention that because it was mentioned by Lloyd himself the Divine Dragoon spirit didn't react to him.  Which leaves one of two possible options; either his armored form was a natural power up or that he was able to use the divine dragoon spirit as a figurative magic battery to boost his natural Wingly magic.  They never really clarified in the game.

Just mentioning that since some people still think Lloyd was using an actual Dragoon form.  Which...would be even worse. 
Coming soon...

EdwardShane

Well...considering I was actually considering making my character be an oddball who can't access the serious magic except in dragoon mode, I don't think that should be an issue.  I think the most they would be able to do outside of dragoon form would be lesser hexes.  Just some debuffs that can be put on enemies, for in-game terms....but only with your okay, of course.

Zeth

So would this use a system or be pure freeform?

Green Goo Theory

Chances are free form.  I don't have any available system on hand.  Any requests?
Coming soon...

EdwardShane

Freeform works just fine by me. 

Rajah

It's worth noting that Meru was a Wingly and a full Dragoon. It's possible Winglies just can't access the Divine Dragoon Spirit for whatever reason; the lore in the game isn't really very complete, so there's a lot of room to invent your own mythology. Of a certainty, a known god made a tree to produce 108 forms of life and the 108th was meant to "reset" the world. We know nothing else about this god, its character, or whether it had any greater plans beyond its reset cycle - might be interesting for the plot of the game to explore, maybe set after the original - God returns, things get messed up - whatever. There are unanswered questions about a lot of things, like what the Divine Dragon and its spirit actually are or represent; the Winglies presumably chained it down, but why didn't the humans release it after the war, considering their alliance with dragons?

Anyway, the only Wingly who tries that we know off can't bond to the Divine Dragoon Spirit. Maybe it's him, maybe it's a racial thing, who knows. Meru and Lenus manage okay with a regular Dragoon Spirit.

Freeform works okay for me. FATE's free and could work for something like this with a little work to get a subsystem going (the shape of it's easy enough to predict, every turn as a Dragoon does stress to a special track, Dragoon form having a special Refresh to reflect its growth...) but, you know, different strokes and all. I'd be willing to help out with mechanical design if you did want to run it in FATE.

JayNighte

Freeform or FATE work for me too. I would prefer to be Earth or Water in terms of Elements, and would probably go human.

EdwardShane

I admit I don't really know anything about FATE, but I'd be willing to try it out.

JayNighte

Personally, I think freeform would work best - especially since Fate might involve PMs, and I can't do that.

Green Goo Theory

We already know dragoon spirits are tuned to specific people.  Regardless of race if that spirit doesn't recognize you then you aren't using it.  So chances are Lloyd simply wasn't the right choice for that specific spirit.  I did forget about Lenus though being a powerful wingly in addition to having a dragoon spirit  so I can't really disallow them entirely; even if she was a boss NPC.  But I'd probably have to limit her in the same way she was in the game and she didn't use (or maybe could not use) Wingly magic while in dragoon form.

Also, I'd probably take a few liberties with the cosmology and mythology.  Nothing directly contradictory to the series but any place I need to for the sake of the story I may still work on filling in the gaps.  And I already had the god planned into the story; just because its body is destroyed doesn't mean it won't keep reincarnating into mortal bodies to suit its needs.  I won't tell anyone the degree of importance that would have on the story or the direction it would take the story or world but it's entirely possible that angle is played at some point.

I think I'll take input on freeform vs system.  Just to see what people think.  Seems to favor freeform though and I don't know FATE at all right now. 
Coming soon...

EdwardShane

I guess the wingly magic stuff will be something to work out when character creation rolls around then.  I am quite flexible and will roll with whatever decision the GM decides to make concerning what my character should and should not be capable of.

As for FATE vs Freeform, I will lean more towards freeform...but that's mainly because it's what I know.

Zeth

Well Dracoon is a combat heavy game, so doing it free form means the PCs will pretty much always trash any npcs and the game will focus on interparty politics and romance which is not good for a non adult game.

Just my 2 cents.

EdwardShane

That isn't necessarily true, actually.  Not all writers strive to always win in a combat situation, and will accept hits and defeats where they are due.  Plus, the GM could always figure out what a suitable challenge would be, and toss it at the players.  Freeform is an honor based system, and while yes...not everyone does play it how it should be played, there are those out there who do.

Rajah

Easy system to add to freeform to handle combat, Rule of Three: Any conflict between players, or any critical conflict between players and the environment (mooks get trounced), gets three posts from each party back-and-forth, total of six posts made.

Then the GM votes one way or the other, VOTE 1.
Uninvolved players have X hours (12 or 18 is usually good) to vote one way or the other (offsite anonymous poll works) as a democracy, VOTE 2. If players don't vote or it's tied, this becomes a GM coin flip.
The last vote is a coin flip by the GM, VOTE 3.

GM tallies, does not announce which votes went which way, does announce victor. You get a fourth and final post for your victory. GM should vote for or against themselve in PVE conflicts according to whether they think the challenge is reasonable, so you have to both lose the coinflip and the popular vote to lose to an antagonist - which can happen. Limits of victory are whatever the GM sets or is reasonable - death is probably off the table in a sparring contest and probably on the table if you're challenging another player in a duel for a prince's hand in marriage or whatever.

Keeps things fair, the random element helps avoid hurt feelings, keeps combat nontrivial - if you bite off more than you can chew against a dragon, for example, you're likely to lose the popular vote AND the GM vote if no one thinks it's reasonable for you to succeed. Works for everything from a friendly race to an epic battle to a religious debate.

Green Goo Theory

I'm not sure I'm a fan of that voting system.  I don't mind systems much though.  In some ways I prefer them since not everyone can perform effective combat role play.  And I could definitely find ways to prevent things getting too one sided; we already saw that dragoon spirits weren't the first choice in a fight and without the spirits the human forms weren't over powered in-universe.

In fact the only reason I dislike using systems is that it can (sometimes) let some players feel like they can get lazy with posting.  Not that I require a specific length or amount of detail; just kind of bugs me when an RP degrades into a back-and-forth of 3 word posts.
Coming soon...

Rajah

I guess I'll vote FATE, but I'm fine freeform, which is good because I feel pretty confident that's how the vote'll turn out.  :P

JayNighte

If we go with FATE, is there a way to NOT need the PM system here?

Rajah

I can't imagine why you'd need the PM system in the first place? It doesn't seem like it would logically come into play the way it might in, say, Paranoia.

Rajah

EdwardShane

I think it might be...I'm just waiting to hear if decisions have been made concerning it

Green Goo Theory

I was waiting to hear about more character information in responses, honestly.  Also, is the FATE stsuff available somewhere for free? 
Coming soon...

EdwardShane

Oh...well as I said, I was considering a dark dragoon winglie.  exact abilities in terms of being a winglie I would need to work out with you, the GM.

I was considering playing a female, to be honest...weapon of choice being a pair of chakrams.  Still working on personality and such, but I can tell you know she won't be happy/bubbly/cheerful or anything like that.

JayNighte

I want either Earth or Water. I might just play a miner for Earth :P (only half-joking. I thought of awesome pickaxe moves)

Rajah

Quote from: Tonberryshuffle on May 06, 2014, 09:46:16 PM
I was waiting to hear about more character information in responses, honestly.  Also, is the FATE stsuff available somewhere for free?

Yup! FATE's actually pay-what-you-want, which is pretty awesome. Available from their website here.

Name: Taegul Ramakh
Race: Human
Element: Light

A "simple woodsman", Taegul is the son of Alara Ramakh, foremost duelist and swordswoman in Basil in her day. Past her prime, she's given up the art and retired to a quieter life of art, music, and high society; her efforts to teach her children the importance of strength and etiquette, unfortunately, did not mirror her martial accomplishment. Taegul's older sisters are a Sandora terrorist and a wandering "dragonslayer" yet to slay anything, respectively, and Taegul himself left home when the lessons turned abusive as desperation and bitterness overtook Lady Alara. Heading into the woods beyond Bale to spite his noble blood, he spent several years keeping the trails clear and trading game for a living until receiving a formal apology from his mother in the form of a three-page letter. He never went home, but he's been a devoted student of the sword ever since, a known purveyor of martial arts records and manuals, and those that trade with him sometimes comment on his mastery of the social graces. No letter from him was forthcoming, but the rumors reached his parents, who are comforted to know at least one of their children has found something like a positive direction in life.

He's been estranged from the greater motions of society long enough that it's begun to wear on him; he visits the market far more often than he needs to, and has added books of adventure and history to his reading list. At this point he's seriously considering a new vocation and not unlikely to join the first caravan or grand quest that passes by; after news of his eldest sister Yahine leading a successful slaughter of a sizable fishing vessel that ventured too close to Imperial Sandora, he's also become haunted by the suspicion that it may fall to him as blood to put the family mad dog down.

Green Goo Theory

So light, darkness, and possibly earth/water.  Two humans and a wingly.  Alright.

I'm also more asking about character ideas (or a sheet if you want) for story purposes more than anything else.

Thanks for the link too.
Coming soon...

EdwardShane

A sheet would be helpful, actually

Green Goo Theory

I'll work on it tomorrow.  This week and possibly next week are going to be exceptionally busy for me.  On the job training and stuff. 
Coming soon...

EdwardShane

Oh, fun....I hope things go really well!  No hurry, take care of your RL first and foremost. 

Green Goo Theory

It's going great.  I finally got a damn job.  Just a bit more hectic during training than it was supposed to be.  Super huge class this cycle. 
Coming soon...

EdwardShane

That's really awesome to hear.  Glad things are looking up!

Green Goo Theory

Alright, for starters I want people's input on a time frame.  Shortly after the end of the game, a few years, a decade, century+? 

This information isn't really set in stone or anything.  I just want to get a feel for what everyone was interested in playing.  Not everything is mandatory but the more the better
just to better understand the whole thing. 

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Name:
Race:
Home town:
Current location:
Element/Color: (Even if you aren't going for a dragoon spirit)
Personality:
History:

Also!  Opinions on a starting point for the roleplay in regards to location.

Coming soon...

EdwardShane

In my opinion, I think it might be good to have it maybe...at least a decade or two after the ending of the game?  Give it a decent amount of time maybe.

As for my character, you may have to forgive my more newbie amount of experience concerning the world as a whole.  Feel free to point out discrepancies, give suggestions, or other similar things if you notice anything wrong.  Google is not being helpful in providing me with a whole lot of information on winglies it seems, so I may have to improvise and go by what information I am given.  In short, I guess I am winging it *BAD PUN ALERT*

The start location....uhhhhhhh.....I have no idea or opinion there, lol.  Whatever works for the majority I guess? 

Name: Zephyria
Race: Winglie
Home town: Winglie Forest
Current location: (Wherever is most convenient for the start point.  I will edit that in when it is decided)
Element/Color: Darkness/Black with purple highlights
Personality: Zephyria outwardly seems rather stoic and serious at most times, but this was tempered from necessity.  This can be sometimes mistaken for callousness, due to her seeming unhesitating nature of decision making.  Her tenacity is rather difficult to match, and she is quite intellectual.  However, she would gladly put her life on the line for those she -does- get close to, and beneath her hardened exterior, she is a quite caring individual. 
History: Growing up, Zephyria seemed more like a human child than a winglie one, due to her seeming lack of aptitude concerning using magic.  At best, she was capable of doing little more than minor telekinetic tricks.  These abilities only minorly improved as time went by.  Eventually, the situation was looked at a bit more in depth, and it was determined that there was something missing...a broken link that prevented her from growing magically.  When she learned of this, she sought permission to travel to the outside world so as to search for what might fill the void that kept her from being complete.  This permission was granted.

After leaving the forest, Zephyria was exposed to how cruel and heartless the world could truly be.  She endured many hardships, and was forced to adapt and grow stronger in order to survive.  The once friendly, playful girl turned into a skilled, unyielding, and calculating young woman in order to survive.  Eventually, she ran across legends of Dragoons, warriors who wielded the power of dragons.  Perhaps, she thought, this could be an answer to the dilemma set before her, should she manage to figure out how to become one.  Thus, her true quest began, as she began searching for how to become a dragoon...  (tenative start, potential to be edited/added on to later as needed)

for clarification, the telekinetic capabilities will only really be used in terms of when she is using her weapons, a pair of chakrams.  she can use it to guide them if/when they leave her hands, thus allowing thrown ones to be redirected at a distance to an extent and also to return them to her hands.  even without this, they are also quite capable melee weapons at the same time.

Green Goo Theory

Looks good.  And this would probably be a fairly informal set up.  I'd never get the member base i'd want for a more  strict set up.  So not being a master of everything LoD is A-ok.
Coming soon...

EdwardShane

All right, good to know.  If you as the GM are happy with it, that's good enough for me.  I did make the history the way I did under the assumption that I would not be starting with full dragoon capabilities...is that fine as it stands, or would everyone be starting with that kind of capability?

Rajah

Timeline: A century or more after the game ends, long enough for the world to settle into new configurations and the legends of the dragoons to once again fade into just that - legends.
Location: Somewhere the GM finds interesting and attractive for game-running. My experience is that things run a lot more smoothly and pleasantly the more invested the GM is in their story.

Name: Taegul Ramakh
Race: Human
Hometown: Bale
Current location: Wherever; he can be in transit shortly before the game begins to facilitate arrival
Element/Color: Light / Silver and white with golden highlights
Personality: Straightforward and confident to the point of arrogance, both pragmatic and independent; his one concession to frivolity is a certain tendency to show off when circumstances permit.
History: A "simple woodsman", Taegul is the son of Alara Ramakh, foremost duelist and swordswoman in Basil in her day. Past her prime, she's given up the art and retired to a quieter life of art, music, and high society; her efforts to teach her children the importance of strength and etiquette, unfortunately, did not mirror her martial accomplishment. Taegul's older sisters are a Sandora terrorist and a wandering "dragonslayer" yet to slay anything, respectively, and Taegul himself left home when the lessons turned abusive as desperation and bitterness overtook Lady Alara. Heading into the woods beyond Bale to spite his noble blood, he spent several years keeping the trails clear and trading game for a living until receiving a formal apology from his mother in the form of a three-page letter. He never went home, but he's been a devoted student of the sword ever since, a known purveyor of martial arts records and manuals, and those that trade with him sometimes comment on his mastery of the social graces. No letter from him was forthcoming, but the rumors reached his parents, who are comforted to know at least one of their children has found something like a positive direction in life.

He's been estranged from the greater motions of society long enough that it's begun to wear on him; he visits the market far more often than he needs to, and has added books of adventure and history to his reading list. At this point he's seriously considering a new vocation and not unlikely to join the first caravan or grand quest that passes by; after news of his eldest sister Yahine leading a successful slaughter of a sizable fishing vessel that ventured too close to Imperial Sandora, he's also become haunted by the suspicion that it may fall to him as blood to put the family mad dog down.

Green Goo Theory

Looks good.  Hoping more of the interested parties show up again by this point. 
Coming soon...

JayNighte

I'm still here. I''m waiting to see what roles become taken, and also to know more about the setting. The world's advancement probably started up again after the end of the game.

Rajah

Quote from: JayNighte on May 13, 2014, 01:48:41 AM
I'm still here. I''m waiting to see what roles become taken, and also to know more about the setting. The world's advancement probably started up again after the end of the game.

Nothing left to wait for. We have a chakram-throwing Dark Wingly who wants to be strong so she won't be sad anymore, and a Light samurai woodcutter who spent years in the wilderness to prove a point to his dysfunctional family. Those're the roles taken, which leaves pretty much everything under the sun open. You're guy #3 in what is so far a three-person group; the best way to attract more people is to be active and present characters those people want to play with. Given that the GM asked for a vote on timeline and guys #1 and #2 have voted, the best way to know more about the setting is probably to throw together a character - or at least a sketch with some background and location indication - and add your vote as well, because then the GM'll have times and places to work from.

Zeth

Well the cool elements of Light and Dark are taken. Which element is the one for spoony bards?

Rajah

Quote from: Zeth on May 13, 2014, 03:56:47 AM
Well the cool elements of Light and Dark are taken. Which element is the one for spoony bards?

Thunder or Wind seem appropriate.

EdwardShane

Quote from: Zeth on May 13, 2014, 03:56:47 AM

Just watch for old men with canes.

JayNighte

So there is a Giganto resurgence? If I remember correctly, there weren't a whole lot left.

Zeth

Quote from: EdwardShane on May 13, 2014, 07:59:07 AM
Just watch for old men with canes.

If I take Thunder I can BE the old man with the cane. >.> <.<

Green Goo Theory

Gigantos will be around, ya
Coming soon...

JayNighte

Well, I have some basic ideas, but I don't know about the town he's from, or whether I can have a  half-human, half-Giganto. Since they are different races, their genetics might not be compatible, so I might just go full-Giganto. Are there any mining towns? I was thinking he'd be a miner before everything happened.

Jxnbury

Name: Alana Devlin.
Race: Wingly, preferably. Though if we are putting a limit on Winglies, I have no problem being human.
Home town: Lohan
Current location: Fueno, preferably. I can start wherever the story needs me to, however.
Element/Color: Red-eyed Dragoon Spirit
Personality: Fiery-temper. Free spirit. (I usually make this mostly up along the way)
History: History will be variant on whether I'm allowed to be a Wingly or whether I will be human.

As far as my opinion on when the story should take place, I would say either pre-LoD date OR very post-LoD.
I dislike when too many people try to be descendants of the main characters. They hardly change any of the traits associated with the actual character.

Rajah

Quote from: JayNighte on May 13, 2014, 01:54:46 PM
Well, I have some basic ideas, but I don't know about the town he's from, or whether I can have a  half-human, half-Giganto. Since they are different races, their genetics might not be compatible, so I might just go full-Giganto. Are there any mining towns? I was thinking he'd be a miner before everything happened.

There's a whole planet. Pick a country, make one up, tell us about it - what do they mine, iron? Silver? Zinc? Are there other Gigantos, perhaps a mixed enclave, or are you alone? Do you integrate well into the community, is it a big city or a small town, etc etc.

Green Goo Theory

Quote from: JayNighte on May 13, 2014, 01:54:46 PM

I'd let some leniency in regarding towns that didn't exist.  There's going to be a bit of a time gap and we know stuff like mining towns just explode.  Also, we never had any true confirmation that there was only one giganto left; just that he's the last one left from that one town that we can't even visit during the course of the game.  Which brings me again to the fact that there's a lot of land mass in the game not explored during the course of it all including locations in flash backs and such that we never get to visit.

Quote from: Jxnbury on May 13, 2014, 03:22:42 PM
Race: Wingly, preferably. Though if we are putting a limit on Winglies, I have no problem being human.
Current location: Fueno, preferably. I can start wherever the story needs me to, however.
Personality: Fiery-temper. Free spirit. (I usually make this mostly up along the way)
History: History will be variant on whether I'm allowed to be a Wingly or whether I will be human.

As far as my opinion on when the story should take place, I would say either pre-LoD date OR very post-LoD.
I dislike when too many people try to be descendants of the main characters. They hardly change any of the traits associated with the actual character.

I'm really only going to ask for a reasonable limit to Wingly characters.  There's a decent population left and not everyone's asking for wingly characters.  So that's fine and I guess fix it up for the Wingly.

Seems that post game (century+) seems to be more popular option.  It's kind of what I wanted to lean towards anyway.

Quote from: Rajah on May 13, 2014, 04:20:14 PM
There's a whole planet. Pick a country, make one up, tell us about it - what do they mine, iron? Silver? Zinc? Are there other Gigantos, perhaps a mixed enclave, or are you alone? Do you integrate well into the community, is it a big city or a small town, etc etc.

this is fine.  Just as long as it's once again reasonable. 

Just to put my earlier comment into perspective...

Not only is there stuff on that map you don't explore in the game there's also entire sections of the map that's missing entirely.  That said even the southern most point visited during the course of the game just barely broken into the sub-tropics indicating that the entire thing also took place on a single hemisphere of an Earth-like planet.

We also know Lenus and Lloyd were not from the two Wingly towns we know about since they were unknowns to both which means at a minimum there's one more place where Winglies live.

As for everyone else now that a time period is set I'll work on typing up some world information over the course of that time period.  I will also mention that even if someone does start with a dragoon spirit at best they'd be like Dart and completely incapable of using it.  You may also have a dragoon spirit of the wrong color just for kicks and it's entirely possible (just like in the game) people don't actually know what a dragoon spirit looks like.  That peddler was trying to sell the earth spirit as a basic stone afterall.

Apologies for the short post earlier.  I was only using my phone and was away from the computer.  I'm back now.
Coming soon...

EdwardShane

Green Goo Theory

I thought the level of detail was important...  Especially since it shows locations on it that we definitely don't explore in the game...

Also! I missed this in my earlier response but I'm also generally against offspring characters.  Usually. 
Coming soon...

EdwardShane

It is a really great map, lol.  It just...took a couple minutes to load o.O

Zeth

So I either want to steal Gala from legend of legaia (A martial arts monk with electric element) or Bart from Xenogears ( Duel whips are just so swag.) Which character would you guys prefer?

EdwardShane

Quote from: Zeth on May 13, 2014, 09:07:55 PM
So I either want to steal Gala from legend of legaia (A martial arts monk with electric element) or Bart from Xenogears ( Duel whips are just so swag.) Which character would you guys prefer?

I'll let the following music give my answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOHyegYn2j8

Green Goo Theory

Quote from: Zeth on May 13, 2014, 09:07:55 PM

Both are good games and good characers.  Be cooler to have your own idea unless you're just grabbing up combat doctrine here.
Coming soon...

Rajah

Quote from: Tonberryshuffle on May 13, 2014, 09:15:12 PMBe cooler to have your own idea unless you're just grabbing up combat doctrine here.

^

Zeth

Screw that, My own idea would use the picture of one of those characters and his fighting style, might as well just use the character whole sale.

Rajah

Quote from: Zeth on May 14, 2014, 09:45:15 AM
Screw that, My own idea would use the picture of one of those characters and his fighting style, might as well just use the character whole sale.

...is this sarcasm? I hope so with all my heart, but it's the Internet, so.

Jxnbury

Race: Wingly.
History:
Over the extended period of time which has passed since the near destruction of the world due to Melbu Frahma, there were many Wingly families who have abandoned their callous intentions towards humans integrating into the normal of society and abandoning old practices. Some have even chosen to take in human companions or life partners.
------
Alana was born and raised in Lohan, the commercial trading city. The young girl was an only child who spent most of her time on her own. Her parents were always too busy with life having to make frequent trips to Wingly cities, so they could monitor what was left of the Wingly population. She spent the majority of her time causing mayhem and disturbing the bazaar shop keepers. When the girl was not running around being a problem for the city, she was enjoying the nearby ocean or anywhere nearby where she could swim. She found water to be especially relaxing and comforting.

Alana's Wingly powers are in full bloom. She is quite skillful when using them but as expected of an ever newer generation, her power is nothing in comparison to even that of Meru's generation.The amount of time she can spend in flight is very limited and varies from each experience. She has not yet been chosen by the Dragoon Spirit. However, she has managed to acquire a stone (unbeknownst to her) which she snatched from one of the bazaar shop keepers who tried to assault her in the busy streets while she was causing some harmless trouble. She holds onto the trinket fondly now. The first time she had managed to steal something from the shop keepers without getting caught, usually she just like to break the merchandise or tamper with it.

Once a year, Alana would revel in arrival of the “Hero Competition”. She was always a faithful spectator in the crowd in complete awe of the power and intelligence demonstrated by the participants. As she became more interested in battle and power, the young woman began to practice Tang Soo Do while incorporating the use of something very similar to a cestus on both her left and right forearms.

The stronger that Alana became – The more her temper flared – The more aggressive her behavior became.

Obviously, I am going to need someone to deliberate whether the history is appropriate or not~ I figure with so much time passing that the situation in which the world is in should be changing as well.
My character is not necessarily going to be "good" as the dragoon spirits have made it clear that they recognize despite whatever alignments a person might have. For example, Lenus. She could potentially be affected by the environment and other characters; however, I do want her to maintain her attitude. If anyone wants to discuss her possibly having their stone, you can hit me up with a PM.

JayNighte

Name: Franz Zuto
Race: Half-human Giganto
Home town: Gharnot
Current location: ???
Element/Color: Brown/Gold; Earth
Weapon: Pickaxe
Personality: Gruff, stern, and mentally a bit slow, it seems that few would get along with him. However, this is merely his exterior. He is kind and loyal to his friends, and has a decent (yet simple) sense of humor he doesn't show often in public. He has fierce determination, and once set on a task, he will refuse to quit.
History: Franz was born to Nila, a human woman, and Gotak, a wandering Giganto, in the booming mining town of Gharnot. His father ended up leaving him when he was six years old, leaving him to be raised by his mother. At sixteen, he began working in the mines. His powerful body was perfect for the job, and he formed a camaraderie with the other miners. Not only was he one of the hardest workers, he also acted as their bodyguard from any monsters that may find themselves in the mine.

One day, however, he failed at protecting his allies. The whole mine collapsed, and he was only able to save Jerret, the man next to him. Digging his way out with that person, he was horrified to see that the mine wasn't the only thing to be destroyed. The Town Hall was blown up, and it seems that the mine was also intentionally destroyed. Wracked with guilt at being unable to save most of his friends, and filled with anger at those who have caused such chaos, he vowed to hunt down the perpetrators.
=======
Will develop further, and awaiting input.

Zeth

Quote from: Rajah on May 14, 2014, 12:27:48 PM
...is this sarcasm? I hope so with all my heart, but it's the Internet, so.

I was serious. Apparently using non original material bothers you. So I will resign and give up the Thunder slot. Thank you and good luck on the game.

Rajah

Quote from: Zeth on May 14, 2014, 04:59:34 PM
I was serious. Apparently using non original material bothers you. So I will resign and give up the Thunder slot. Thank you and good luck on the game.

It does, but I'm not running the game, so please don't mistake my opinion for more than its personal weight.

Green Goo Theory

Alright on my phone so no big post.  Will respond and add more detail tonight when i get my laptop
Coming soon...

JayNighte

Did I do alright? Anything I need to add or change?

Green Goo Theory

Alright.  Had less time to type tonight than I thought I would.  Had to study.  Your character sheet is just fine too.

Just so everyone has an idea though we're doing the century+ mark and I'll work out a specific year.  And since only one person had an idea for it--and I'm A-ok with it-- starting point is in Fueno.  Unless of course someone is just avidly against it. 

Coming soon...

EdwardShane

Green Goo Theory

While I'm normally not a fan of doing this I may be throwing in a character as well just to help even things out.  Not rolling a dragoon character; I'll leave all of those open for potential future players.  Probably still throw a sheet out for everyone to see once I have stuff figured out too.
Coming soon...

Rajah

Jxnbury

I've no objections; however, I would not be opposed to you playing a dragoon. I feel like a GM should only separate themselves from the roleplay if either desired or if we are playing with a system.

JayNighte

I agree, the DM should get to have some of the Dragoon fun! And Fueno works for me.

Rajah

Quote from: Jxnbury on May 16, 2014, 01:14:13 PM
I've no objections; however, I would not be opposed to you playing a dragoon. I feel like a GM should only separate themselves from the roleplay if either desired or if we are playing with a system.

Yup. Got no problem if you want to claim a Dragoon slot. We're under capacity anyway, screw it, go wild, it's your game.

Green Goo Theory

I've always kind of preferred playing the non-dragon badass though.  So it's not that much of an issue for me.  It was kind of killing two birds with one stone. 

See?  It's even easier than finding one big stone and two small birds. 
Coming soon...

Green Goo Theory

Never having made an RP on here where exactly do I make the non-adult IC/OOC threads? 

Also, I do want to warn you all activity may be veerryy slow for a week from me.  Finished the job training and I'm in the process of moving.  I'll still be working on the RP and typing stuff up but I may not actually be posting anything during that time due to internet connections.  Just so everyone doesn't assume I vanished
Coming soon...

EdwardShane

There is a forum for non-adult roleplays here.  I would presume you could change this thread to an OOC thread when we start up, or else make one in the aforementioned forum to go along with the IC rp.

As for the slow activity, it's perfectly understandable ^^ Do what you need to.

Green Goo Theory

yeah, I'd still feel bad for leaving everyone hanging though.

Anyway, my character!

(Image just a basic approximation.  Outfit is not usually that revealing but same basic styling.  Still covers more than what Lenus wore.)

Name: Fiona
Race: ??Human??
Home town: Kazas
Current location: Fueno
Element/Color: Void (Subject to change pending new arrivals in play)
Personality: Fiona bears a relatively aloof personality when it comes to most things casual and doesn't seem to let anything get to her.  She has been known to be a loud mouth at times with these qualities increasing the more she'll drink.
History:
At the tail end of the Serdian war and the defeat of Emperor Doel most of the nation's holdings were consolidated under the rule of Basil under King Albert.  Despite the bloody nature of the conflict the unification of the two separate entities went smoothly as most people from both sides wished for the peaceful resolution.  That said there was little use for marshall law or an absolute take over but rather simply a dismissal of most military forces.  Those that wished to remain in service were slowly integrated into the now joint military force.

The one thing that remained to some extent in limbo was the state of Serdio's capital city Kazas.  Not due to anything political but rather the nature of the collected sages put to work under Emperor Doel.  The fruits of their labor demonstrating the age long assumption that only Winglies could perform magic had been a baseless assumption.  The dark castle remained intact and many of its denizens were left in place but under leadership from Basil.  Likewise, after the fall of Melbu Frahma and the threat to the world ceased people from all over the world gathered there.

The slums that it once had been were shaped drastically.  The benefits of the advancement in both technology and magic were shared with this city being the main hub of everything.  It prospered greatly.

Not even a decade later with the rise in Wingly interactions with the outside world many of which found their way here.  The place became a home to joint research for both Wingly and Dragon based magic.  It was shortly after that the place became a private entity owned dedicated to advancements that belonged to everyone rather than a single nation.

Fiona, as far as anyone knows, was born and raised into this lifestyle.  Her parents researches there and likewise she found herself dedicating herself to the lifestyle as she continued to learn.  Unlike most that had found refuge in these halls content to study she wanted to set out into the world to put this all to the test.  Not just to assume what the world needed but see first hand what research would help in certain towns.

I will work on write ups for certain towns as well as something that will detail some current and updated events. 
Coming soon...

EdwardShane

Nice character ^^ Looking forward to seeing this thing start up!

JayNighte

We're gonna have fun with this, I know it!

Green Goo Theory

Hey, jay.  I just wanted to ask.  Are you under 18?  Or did you just have no interest in getting approved?  I don't really care either way.  But if you were to get approved I would have moved this to adult RP.  Not just for all teh smex but for some semblance of realism some adult content such as blood, gore, the violence, language, etc would fit better in adult stuff. 

Coming soon...

JayNighte

I'm on hold, unfortunately, due to having an emotional crisis that affected my interactions.

Rajah

Which can't be appealed until October 1st according to a quick backreading, so probably Non-Adult is where this'll be stuck. As for adult content re: violence, bloodshed, and language, the non-adult roleplaying section is PG-13 which allows for all of those. Extreme gore, graphic Hostel-style torture, and explicit sexual content are the things you need adult for, none of which seem terribly likely to come up. I agree it's annoying just knowing that there *is* a ceiling regardless of your intention or desire to ever come into contact with it, but I think a Legend of Dragoon game can exist comfortably - and realistically - within the scope of Non-Adult.

Green Goo Theory

Just thought I'd ask. 

On that note I don't care what all of you do with the content of this RP in PM's or instant messengers outside of the PG-13 ceiling. 
Coming soon...

Jxnbury

Nice Character! I just figured I would add my two-cents in case you had originally wanted to play a dragoon.

I love that picture of Blair. Also... If it was not intentional, cheers!

I have no problems with the Non-Adult section. I mean if he ends up getting approved and the roleplay is still going strong -- We can always move the location or start a new thread.
I am certainly looking forward to getting things started around here. I need a little more roleplay in my life. :-)

Green Goo Theory

Thanks, thanks!  Also, I don't think it's blair even though I thought it was the first time I saw it.  Found it on a deviant art gallery and it was also the same place as my previous avatar.  The guy just seems to like girls in chaps with oversized guns.  Either way it wasn't titled Blair or anything related to soul eater.  But I do love the similarities. 

It's not like I have a crush on blair or anything...<.<

Coming soon...

Green Goo Theory

The updates on specific towns is going to wait a bit but I'll type up something here for an overall world update.  Paraphrased this time.  Get a nice properly typed story later.

-The game will take place 114 years after the events of the game. 

-Humans can perform magic but takes years of study almost completely stemming from the group in Kazas.

-Winglies have integrated into human society.  It's not perfect and without issues and sometimes violence but their existence is known and some people from either race live among others of their race.

-Gigantos and Minatos still exist and each even have an existing "home" that was rebuilt with the help of various nations and groups (namely the winglies). There are even mermaids around and a varietyof half-breeds.

-Technology has improved.  Some bits of infrastructure exists but horse drawn vehicles are still a thing outside of the cities, artificial lights are still mostly a big city thing, larger vehicles such as ships can be run without steam now due to magic from both wingly and human researchers.  While firearms exist they are primitive, clumsy, slow firing, slow to reload, etc.  There are of course some exceptions.  Firearms aren't quite to the point where they can replace melee weapons.

-A few new religions have arisen since the destruction of the Virage Embryo and the moon that never sets.  Some viewed as cults while others have gained some steam; one of which is known to preach the ascension of mortals with a odd leader thought to perform miracles completely unlike any known sort of magic.  Some religions have built standing armies.

-Thanks to the marriage from Albert Tiberoa and Basil are very close nations though not completely merged. 

-The rouge school has gone public and accepts students from all over.  They even have branch schools located in a variety of nations.

-The dragoon spirits are each held in different places.  Jade is the royal treasure of basil, brown is located in the home of gigantos, the blue is among the winglies in an unknown location, purple belongs to the rouge school, white belongs to mille seseau.  The black, red, and divine are all missing but there are reports of sightings all over and there are rumors of an active red dragoon.  These locations are NOT set in stone and are based only on public knowledge that could be completely and utterly wrong.  If you want your character to know something else or to start with a spirit (even not your own color), etc...PM me and we'll discuss it.  We'll figure out a way to discuss it with you Jay if you want.

-There are rumors of living dragons far to the north on the glacier.  A few other more scarce sightings are also rumored elsewhere in the world.  No one that's gone to explore the glacier has survived or come back.

More to come as I remember them from a previous game I was building or come up wtih new stuff.

Also, any questions are welcome via thread or PM!  Suggestions and requests too.
Coming soon...

EdwardShane

Very nice!  This looks awesome so far, and I look forward to seeing this thing kick off.  If anything comes to mind, I will be sure to let you know ^^

JayNighte

This is pretty cool! I do not have a problem with not having a Dragoon Spirit, although if someone else wants me to have one, I would not say no.

Green Goo Theory

I don't mind someone starting with a dragoon spirit.  Just without some really good reasons and some private conversation it's not going to be a working one.  But since the spirits are public knowledge now it's just easier to have them tucked away.  A dude (or dudette) walking around with a spirit-looking gem is going to be a target, y'know? 
Coming soon...

Green Goo Theory

Coming soon...