Project Sea Arghhh! II The World Wide Scientology Protest

Started by Sabby, June 14, 2009, 01:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Overlord

This was like the mid-80's IIRC. She met her future husband, my uncle, out there in the midst of it all. I believe he was in the same cult, and in a sense I'm not convinced they entirely left the mindset.

They are in Texas today, and heavily involved in a local Christian church. She's definitely in the Golden Boy Bush camp; can't shake her of the opinion that he was a great president. In fact, as far as she's concerned, Texas has the most right of any state to secede, and if they did she's fine with 'Dubya' as president of Texas.

Needless to say, there's been some very heated arguments via email in the past 12-15 months over the presidential election. The icing on the cake for me was a Hitler-Obama comparison, which she later apologized for and said she was having a 'bad day', but the damage was done.

It prompted retorts from most of the family, and where I used to think she was just blind and needed to pull her head out of the f***ing sand, now I think she's genuinely nuts. I know she's family and we're supposed to be there for each other, but at times I'm embarrassed by her.

If the markedly different theology and politics weren't enough, they are horrible at deciding the most mundane crap, like what restaurant do you want to go eat at this evening. We mark it up to flashbacks from the cult days, when all their decisions were made for them...this is an annoyance factor for others in the extended family.

Few family members have made me so red-faced and wanting to smash something just by communicating by email. Grrr....Overlord angry, cults baddddd. Cults bad... Okay?

Oniya

Quote from: The Overlord on June 14, 2009, 05:26:44 PM
Look, now correct me if I'm wrong, but did these people enter some sort of whacknut legal contract or not?

The thing that got lost here was the fact that the people signing were as young as twelve.  I don't know about you, but at twelve, I was hardly the most worldly-wise person out there, and knew next to nothing about what my rights were.  If someone in authority handed me something to sign, and my parents said I needed to sign it, I would have signed it.  If I was later told that it meant I was required to do X, Y, and Z, all because I signed it, I probably would have believed it.

There's a reason that kids that young aren't allowed to enter into legal contracts.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Overlord

Quote from: Oniya on June 14, 2009, 10:39:15 PM
The thing that got lost here was the fact that the people signing were as young as twelve.  I don't know about you, but at twelve, I was hardly the most worldly-wise person out there, and knew next to nothing about what my rights were.  If someone in authority handed me something to sign, and my parents said I needed to sign it, I would have signed it.  If I was later told that it meant I was required to do X, Y, and Z, all because I signed it, I probably would have believed it.

There's a reason that kids that young aren't allowed to enter into legal contracts.

OK, solid point, that did get lost in the course of conversation.

And that makes cults preying on children for signups little better than pedos.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Rhapsody

You want to know what Scientology is capable of?  Go look up Lisa McPherson.  Or Clearwater, Florida.  Or Jeff Jacobson.  Operation Freakout.  Operation Snow White.  Dozens of other names I can't think of at the moment, because it's late. 

The thing that really gets me is this: these people successfully infiltrated the American government... and the IRS turns around and allows them to be a tax-free organization, because of their pseudo-religious bullshit claiming that they're a Church.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Tachi

Strange. I see no incentive to join and find it odd that anyone would even consider it.

Rhapsody

Let us hope they never find this thread.  For they can and will sue because we're all detractors of the Faith.  *eyeroll*
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Elayne

"Writing is like prostitution. First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money." -Moliere

Lilias

QuoteThey've got pretty good odds, too, considering 16-year-olds will believe all sorts of stupid stuff you tell them, including "I'm only gonna put the tip in," "Of course I love you" and "trust me, this is the only way to clear your Thetans. Now flip over."

Priceless!
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

RubySlippers

Quote from: Rhapsody on June 23, 2009, 09:36:22 PM
You want to know what Scientology is capable of?  Go look up Lisa McPherson.  Or Clearwater, Florida.  Or Jeff Jacobson.  Operation Freakout.  Operation Snow White.  Dozens of other names I can't think of at the moment, because it's late. 

The thing that really gets me is this: these people successfully infiltrated the American government... and the IRS turns around and allows them to be a tax-free organization, because of their pseudo-religious bullshit claiming that they're a Church.

The Universal Life Church is said to be the same thing, but the First Amendment in the US Constitution gives religion a wide berth when it comes to government interference. Thankfully since people want seperation of Church and State one can't have a no hands on policy and then turn around and easily dictate what is a good religion or a bad one.

If they are commiting illegal actions then the government could investigate them and act but what is the difference between confirming a child at twelve and what they are doing I consider both abusive but one can be done by legal well known churches and the other Scientologists.

Wh