Is Moving out of your country really this difficult?

Started by AidenWhite, June 14, 2012, 11:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AidenWhite

I'm set to move to America in a few days, my uncle died and he left a business. In his will, he gave it to me (since his blood related son is in a psych ward.)
I got news of this only a few hours ago. There are so many people I have to say bye to. My girlfriend, my parents, my childhood friends, everyone. I'm going to leave so many people behind. My parents won't even come visit me, they don't have the money even to catch up on their bills. Sure they could move to America with me, but they are too old and don't know the language and they told me they want to stay here.
So basically, I'm moving to an unfamiliar place with no one.
I don't resent my uncle for making me do this, someone has to, right? I just wish I had more time. What I want to know is if moving away is as hard as I am making it.
~Aiden
My Request Thread + info about me!
My O/O's ~ AidenWhite O/Os - UPDATED: 08/01/2024 (dd/mm/yyyy)
My availability for One on One's (Solos): Available! PM at your own risk.

Callie Del Noire

It takes some doing. Leaving behind everyone you know is always hard. I've had to do it a few times. Moving to Ireland with my family was harsh, then relocating to Rota when my orders came up there. You have to find things to ground you, explore options that let you keep in touch with your family. I can say things. Going from the US to Ireland was a LOT harder than going to Rota..technology has 'shrunk' the world in many ways. I was able to use Vonage to call locally to my parents, and with email and skype/ventrillo I was able to chat with my buddies.

Online services made it easy to send gifts to folks stateside while I'm overseas. You have have to find your own way to cope, deal with culture shock and find a balance.

AidenWhite

I'm just wondering how different America is from Russia, I've heard rumors but that's pretty much it.
My Request Thread + info about me!
My O/O's ~ AidenWhite O/Os - UPDATED: 08/01/2024 (dd/mm/yyyy)
My availability for One on One's (Solos): Available! PM at your own risk.

Silverfyre

I understand familial obligations and what not but I am thinking your plan to move might be a little hasty at best.  Do you know how to run such a business?  Is there no one else who can regulate or run it without you having to essentially leave everything you know just to run it?  How about other avenues for said business, such as selling it off or giving it to another family member/friend who wants to move to America and run it?  It just seems like so many unknowns to deal with just to take over a business.  Then again, I don't know the situation save for what you posted. 

Just keep in mind that such a move is going to be quite hard in itself.  Is this something you really want to do or do you really have no choice in the matter?

Aidonsious

He may have given you his business, but that does not mean you have to take it. You should not do anything that you do not feel comfortable doing. I believe your uncle gave his business to you because he knew you would do what was needed to be done, that you were a responsible person but he never would have wanted to make it hard on you.

I have never been to Russia and have always lived here in America and I do not even fully understand everything. Traveling is a exciting thing, I travel with my husband because he is in the military and every new place is a new adventure. It was hard in the beginning with saying goodbye to family but I always told them, even to this day, that goodbye does not have to mean forever. Your parents, friends and girlfriend may be sad now but they also know that this is a chance for you to do something different with your life.

Remember, if the business does not work out, you can always go home. 

I would get some sleep and take at least a day to digest what this would require you to do. If you need help with moving, there are company's you can talk to in regards to transitioning as well you can always contact your uncle's company and see what they can do to help you.

There are so many possibilities and choices that can be made and I know I did not answer anything in regards to the differences or how to do it but you will get through it. Trust me, what ever choice you make, it will be the right one because your uncle wants nothing but your happiness.

kylie

I'm curious how this is developing for you.  It sounds like one of those decisions where maybe you can never quite have enough information -- even if you seem to have too much.  At some point, you may have to go with your gut. 

I think I would look closely at what the business is, and how it fits in the global economy now.  Hopefully this was given some consideration before and it isn't a big IF in the recession.  Just thinking, there have been some pretty drastic changes from the "average" American perspective in the past few years.  I don't know if the overall economic situation might have changed the outlook for the industry you're working with.

There are quite a few people looking for a job, if you could entrust someone else to manage it.  Again though, it depends on the particulars.

Personally, I don't have a very clear picture of what Russia is like now.  I don't know the culture that well.  Maybe in the US people smile more and drink a bit less?  Laughs.  Yes, I only know simple things.  Our working class has some concept of hardship, but the middle seems to be just getting a taste recently.  I don't think either precisely compares to all that the USSR or earlier post-Soviet Russia went through (if that is on your cultural radar at all). 

From another angle, though...  I really think it depends what you come here for and how you like to spend your personal time.  Assuming you would make decent money, you probably have some choices -- or would your industry people and your class status be a prescription for how you live?  Some jobs do that more than others.  Some middle or upper class rituals could be very much the same, or so I would imagine.  Although granted, the small talk and the philosophical sayings might be different...