Trapped in the Cogs [Steampunk-Alternate Reality]

Started by Nom De Plume, June 23, 2011, 11:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nom De Plume

"You've visited a world- a world not unlike your own. A world where the steam engine was all Man ever needed. A world where the bizarre and fantastical exists in plain sight. A world where magic is merely a tool to mold reality- to be exploited by the selfish, explored by the brilliant, and tampered with by the foolish. A world where the mishaps of one will affect the lives of all living things. A world where the nightmares of madmen are validated in the darkest pockets of the planet.

"A world not unlike your own- and yet..."

I've longed to find a roleplay community that could maturely incorporate all the violence, sex, intrigue and paranormal happenstance of my own, personal little slice of the Steampunk genre. You can imagine then that when I found Elliquy, I was absolutely giddy, and rearing to try it out.

Unfortunately, I hit something of a snag; now what?

You see, I haven't taken the time to flesh out this universe- mainly because I did not believe I would find a proper medium to express it in. I have elements that I would like to see incorporated (which I will list below,) but what I need right now are some grunge inclined writers to help me hash out the details. Even little comments on what to tweak would be welcome.

Some of the things I would like to see incorporated:

-A 1930-1950 timeframe with strong Victorian, Rococo and turn of the 20th century  influences- as if pieces of history and culture have been locked in time. Likewise, technology has advanced in odd ways; steam has been made much more efficient than any combustion engine could be, with alternate energy sources being almost unheard of (radiation has been discovered, but is being side-tracked as a "side effect of reality manipulation.")

-A form of magic that has a Newtonian action/reaction spin to it, as well as some other quasi-scientific elements.

-A worldwide "paranormal epidemic" causing animals to "flash" (a colloquial name for the event in which the change occurs, due to the bright flash that occurs between forms) into a pseudo-human of sorts- a permanent change, nonetheless. These beings, from now on known as the Changed, retain their age (ie. A 4 year old dog will flash into a 28 year old person) as well as certain characteristics associated with their past selves. These characteristic can include finer senses, natural alacrity and superhuman strength as well as horns, fangs, oddly shaped pupils and patches of fur, feathers or scales. They tend to share the body shape of their first form; a mouse will remain petite with slightly rounder features, while a pig may remain portly and stout. Those species who lived near or in human presence know instinctively how to communicate in the human language, and are apparently just as intelligent and capable of learning as the average person.

The Changed tend to come from species that see a lot of interaction with Man and his constructs. Pets were amongst the first to change, followed by vermin (much to the horror of house owners- and later chagrin of house renovators) and livestock. They generally come from mammal species, but reptilian, aquatic and avian Changed are not unheard of. Insects and other creepy-crawlers seem to be the only species completely unaffected by the original event.

They are treated as sub-humans by man, many living in servitude or on the street.

By all means, I'm very open to suggestion. And if you're interested in this game already, then post away! I love positive feedback.
A&A

playfullchick76

im curious about alternate worlds, alternate earths, and the steampunk one does interest me and makes me very curious.

Are you looking for someone to be from there, or journey there somehow. If its the latter, then yes, Im very interested.

Nom De Plume

It wouldn't be far-fetched to "Dr. Who" your way into the universe (ie. visiting an alternate reality from your own.) I would have no problems with trans-dimensional travelers and the like. But I'm also looking for natives- either human or Changed- to better "shape" the society.

Alternatively, and if the idea becomes popular, a game that revolved around the idea of manipulating and visiting parallel realities is fine by me.
A&A

Altair1983

Well i think of what would be an interesting additon would be some Criminal Organizations, Secret Societes, and Maybe even an International Secret Police group and also a group of Idealists who support rights for those who are changed and also provides a network that gives them safe places to live and work but cant reach and help everyone do to the limited resources of the organization.

Malefique

I like the sound of it.  I'd like at some point to do a space-going steampunk, but I think I rather fancy the idea of a grungy neo-Victorian world riddled with magic and mutants.  Jack the Ripper could be re-imagined as having been a Changed tiger or leopard, perhaps.  Springheel Jack, too - a Changed kangaroo or lemur?  I'm definitely up for this if you can set it up.
Everything is true.  God's an astronaut.  Oz is over the rainbow, and Midian is where the monsters live.

Nom De Plume

I love the suggestions guys, keep 'em coming. I intended to add some "grim dark" elements, secret society and some other conspiracies to advance the plot.

I've also been doing a little reading on various steampunk literature (just synopsises, unfortunately) and I've been thinking- would it be better that the "magic" system require a special material to function, ie. aether?

Sorry if this post is a little scatter brained, just came back from work.
A&A

Malefique

I'm okay with that - I'm a White Wolfer, and that's where the Sons of Ether mages came in...
Everything is true.  God's an astronaut.  Oz is over the rainbow, and Midian is where the monsters live.

playfullchick76

I like the idea of others visiting and manipulating it, delibrately or on purpose. My character could be sent there by an experiment, one way perhaps, and have to adapt.

Nom De Plume

Penman's Prophecy,
Or;
An incomplete diary of things to come.
The Plague

Most history books these days only give the big numbers on the plague. There are never any specifics; very few of them mentioned the multitude of symptoms. Those that did painted a vague picture of something similar to the bubonic, cured in the 19th century. Doctor's were baffled. The obituaries, wherever the news was still printed, were filled with long lists of family, friends and neighbours- mainly to the folk in the cramped inner-city. And the Changed? They may be taboo to write about- they might not even have a medical journal dedicated to their many physiological mutations. But everyone remembers that it was they who started it. They live in perpetual exile. You sometimes see gypsy mice-women on the countryside. Thieves, beggars and fiends- or slaves for the larger Network factory.
     The truth is, the Plague was bubonic. A mutation that carried over with one of the many vermin Changed who were carriers in one life- and one of a thousand Patient Zero's to one of the greatest pandemics of the century. It started with the boils. Hundred's of middle-district people came into the clinics with large, dark boils of inexplicable origin.
     Half the doctor's in the Downtown district died within days. Entire townships lost their medical teams (usually barbers)
Futurewrit; Men of Our Apocalypse Cometh

New Face of The Police; Fascism in Britannica?

"Our nation is under threat of becoming a military state," Prime Minister Brown states at the head of the Britanic Council- Having replaced the crown in 1850, the counciliat has led this country arm in arm with the agricultural, economic, logistics and military branches of the government. However, the judicial and legislative powers of local lords kept many of the rich and blue blooded men and women of the country has swelled in recent years- militias and constables have been formed and appointed- many small conflicts dot the massive countryside and the cityscape is often rotted with corruption.
     The Prime Minister continues to push for a forced reform of infrastructure, especially in large cities, despite threats of civil war. Brown is implying

University of Aethercraft- UoA's New Policy on Aether Tax stirs Student Revolt

Eleventh Digit; Ten Billionth Child Born, 1939.

10,000,000,000. That is the number of human beings there are on this planet. Admist a vast sea of cultures, all intertwined in the most vexing dance of social movement, Ammid Beck- ninth and newest member of the Beck Family, located in Iota, New Morranin- is the ten billionth recorded person on this planet, announces the Technocraciat. The people of New Morranin have exploded with festivities, Ammid's birthday becoming the new "New Year"; the year of Man.

Codes And Criminal Figures: Codebreakers Today, Nobel Peace Prize Laureates Tomorrow

Serial Killer Escapes: Victim claims Changed Suspect Involved

A brief visit from the inkpot. I'm wondering if anyone is still interested; and if so, if they have this thread bookmarked?
A&A

Foxy DeVille

I'm pretty interested in this, don't know how I missed it before. I've got a few character ideas batting around my head.

playfullchick76

I'd still be interested in being a part of it, as a traveller from a parallel world.

Nom De Plume

Something I've been wondering is if I should implement a simple house game system. The narrative should take priority, but I'm still toying with the idea of a traits system or something similar. Does anyone have anything to pitch in?
A&A

Foxy DeVille

My character idea, blatantly swiped from various Edgar Rice Burroughs works...

Lady Evelyn Dearholt was just a wee lass of eleven years old when she was trapped in a world apparently inside the bowels of the Earth.  In actuality it is a pocket dimension but the mistaken belief of its composition has caused it to be referred as the Hollow Earth (much to the chagrin of grammar teachers everywhere who point out that the exterior Earth would be the hollow one and not the interior Earth). This world was a vast jungle filled with dinosaurs and other massive predators but Evelyn was able to survive and grew into a beautiful young woman. The other-dimensional properties of the Hollow Earth gave her great strength and recuperative abilities as well as keen powers of empathy. The few primitive people there dubbed her Nyoka, which most likely translates into something but I haven't figured that out yet. Nyoka eventually escaped the Hollow Earth and returned to England. She has acclimated fairly well back into society, although she does have issues with stodgy Victorian morals on things like proper attire for a young lady and dining habits. She also feels a kinship with the Changed, as she had spent the last several years amongst animals Currently Nyoka is working on a book of her adventures while entertaining offers from the Royal Geographical Society to lead an expedition to the Hollow Earth.

orderNchaos

I'm definitely interested.  This sounds like a lot of fun.  I've been working on a steam punk story for a while (kinda lost my muse so it's not complete) but you're welcome to look at if for ideas.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=79360.0