World Building Adventure (interest check) Spots are filled up.

Started by Snow Cherry, June 22, 2011, 07:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snow Cherry

Isadoln-Dale
(Interest Check)

Conquer we shall, but, we must first contend!
It's not the fight that crowns us, but the end.

Summary:
For various reasons of their own good merit, four kingdoms are about to declare war on one another.

Genre:
Fantasy
LOTR type atmosphere, with medieval weaponry speckled in magic and no technology allowed beyond what you might find in that setting.
As a side note: this is not a LOTR group roleplay. :3

Backdrop
The world as we know it is pretty small. Isadoln-Dale, our great land, is a large island surrounded by endless sea on all sides. But that doesn’t mean we are not rich. We are mature with history and old in our ways. Predominately, five kingdoms rule Isadoln. While four of those kingdoms mirror one another like quarreling siblings, the fifth has always remained as neutral ground governed by a council of eight. Isadoln-Dale is no stranger to the trials and consequences of war, but to prevent such hardships tradition has always brought disputes into the amphitheatres of this fifth kingdom, where decisions are based upon the outcome of gladiatorial entertainment. But these days the Games of Kings seem not enough to satisfy the bitter cup of resentment and anger simmering over ages. Instead of sending their gladiators and champions into battle, they are considering using their armies to resolve some lasting inconsistencies. Also, this fifth kingdom of no-man’s land is looking pretty sweet, territory-wise, for these sister empires who have ran out of space for expansion.

Conflict
To irritate the coals even more, someone has stolen the four rings. Every era is tainted with a swarm of dragons that fly the endless seas and uses Isadoln-Dale as resting and feeding grounds. No one knows where these dragons come from or where they go; why they only appear during certain lengths of time every era or so. Their terrorizing veracity is nearly unbearable though; they are nothing but vicious beasts that eat everything in their path. In legend, the rings were gifted by a sorcerer who pooled all of his energy into the objects sacrificing his life to create the living ward. Dragons hate the rings. No one knows exactly what it is about the four valuable artifacts that repel dragons, but they work like a charm. During the seasons of dragon migration the rings are given to the kings of the four kingdoms, creating an orb of protection for their empires to ward off the beastly infestation. When the dragons are nowhere to be found the rings are given back to the fifth kingdom for safe keeping.

Three days ago all four of these rings have gone missing, and have been rumored to have been auctioned off in the black-market. With the first signs of this dragon migration returning to Isadoln (when sightings and alleged encounters of the flying beasts popping up along beaches are increasing) it is imperative that each kingdom has a ring to protect themselves from the swarm that is sure to come. Who will the kings accuse for this evil act, or was it a king or more who orchestrated the crime to begin with? What lengths will the kingdoms go to find protection from the feared future? Who will fall, who will withstand, and who will rise?

The Roleplay
Designed for four roleplayers only, where each player is king/queen of their own kingdom. Each player builds their kingdom up from the basics stating cultural differences, races, customs, economics, religion, etc. within the ooc. They establish a beforehand conflict with the other players that they will seek to resolve during roleplay through the characters they create, which will get us off the ground and propel us forward. During the game, other minor storylines and relationships will manifest.

Interaction
You are in absolute control of your own kingdom. However, you can create characters who are citizens of someone else’s empire. The control and authority of your character in someone else’s empire is gifted by the person who is in control of that kingdom, and cannot be stripped away unless something happens in IC that changes your character’s status. This allows for the flexibility of mystery and intrigue; where usurps in power, betrayal, and deviant alliances are an option. You are encouraged to flesh out these interactions through ooc banter, or secretly contact another player through private messaging. You can play both characters that are for your cause or against your cause, evil or good; neither of which must be apparent to your roleplaying partners in the CS.

Each roleplayer is in possession of a stolen ring that one of their characters has acquired through the black market. The twist is that you cannot use your own ring for your own kingdom. You must somehow come into possession of someone else’s ring in order to successfully save your kingdom from the swarm of dragons. You can forcibly take this other ring by going to war, coerce it into your hands, make dealings or bargains, or hold valuables up for ransom. Whatever way you can come up with is yours for exploit. Only restriction is that you cannot outright trade a ring for a ring. Make it challenging and interesting!

The Characters
The only required characters are the ruler of your kingdom, someone who possess your ring, and a character in someone else's kingdom to start us off. You do not have to reveal to the other roleplayers in ooc which of your characters possesses the ring you acquired through the black market. You can create as many or as few characters as your heart desires. Given my experience in these types of roleplays, sometimes you create a character for an intended purpose and suddenly have that purpose thwarted by another player rendering that character useless. This is a normal occurrence, and if it happens there is no need to worry. You can easily kill off your own characters or set them to rest on the sidelines. You do not have to post for all of your characters each and every time. Only post for the characters that move the roleplay forwards. A minimum of two paragraphs per character post, please.

Backbone & Structure
Four roleplayers for four empires, the fifth empire is shared. Inside this fifth empire are eight ruling council members where we each play two. These council members vote upon matters that affect the fifth empire, and the majority rules. All empires are predominately human race based while other races, such as elves and dwarves, are the minority. The royal or ruling members of all kingdoms must be human race at least by sixty percent or over. Military stats and numbers for each overall kingdom (both attacking and defending) must be stated in OOC before roleplaying any military advances against each other. You can either play your battles freeform or with the aid of dice. This group roleplay is focused upon character interaction and the individual stories that unfold within, NOT upon military domination. Although I will not rule out war, and the military advancements of one kingdom upon another, it should be a minor backdrop to the developing stories of individual characters. All storylines stay within the main IC thread. If there is a desire to create a sub-thread for any reason at all, a link must be provided in OOC in order for the events in sub-thread to be legit in main thread.

Technicalities & Governing Rules
•   Reasonable and realistic roleplay ONLY. No god-like characters. No unexplainable actions. No unrealistic phenomenon’s outside the reaches of pre-planned magic.
•   No matter what, no time-travel or time-warp allowed. No worm-holes that sprints a character from one end of the map to another.
•   Before introducing a character or dynamic factor into IC it must be introduced beforehand in the OOC Bible.
•   No killing someone else’s character without their consent. No controlling another person’s character.
•   If you are playing with magic, all magic must have laws that govern its existence stated beforehand in OOC Bible. Magic must have flaws and weaknesses that parallel the advantages and strengths.
•   There is a reaction to every action, whether it is miniscule or epic.

What to Expect
You should be comfortable roleplaying both male and female characters, and handling multiple characters and storylines. You ought to be accepting of the fact that you will ‘lose some and win some’ in this game. You can expect to be roleplaying characters who will possibly be put into domineering or subservient roles, so please be comfortable roleplaying both dominant and submissive characters. Because of the wide possibilities of what can happen, you ought to be at ease playing any type of pairing (m/f, f/f, m/m, race/another race). I’m not directly saying that these pairings will definitely happen, but would like to have roleplayers accepting of such in case any should happen in IC. You must be mentally capable of observing and respecting someone else’s sexual ons and offs. Also, please be able to deliver 2 or more paragraphs of written detail for each character you are posting about. Be able to bring your own creativity to the chalk-board, and please be someone who can recognize when it is your turn to either lead a storyline or follow someone else’s lead.

These type of roleplays move very SLOWLY, and usually do not succeed unless everyone adheres to a wait-by-turn rule. Getting left behind will not happen because we will wait our consecutive turn to post. There is A LOT of planning and prep involved in games like these, so you can expect the ooc to be larger than the ic. I can almost guarantee you that, on average, a day or few might roll by without your turn to post. So if you need a fast-paced roleplay to hold your interest this one is not for you.

Structure opens the doors to freedom. You can expect this roleplay to be heavily monitored and governed by rules established by all four roleplaying partners. These rules are not meant to hinder your creativity, but are established to guide everyone onto the same atmospheric page. Decisions will be decided by consensus vote, and if there is still room for disagreement afterwards then dice will be rolled.

This is a world-building roleplay between the collaborative creativity of four roleplayers. To keep everything organized and tidy the OOC will become the Bible for our world. A global setting and conflict has been established... it is now up to us to create the characters who will shape this world into life.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

A Personal Note

I have not been around Elliquiy much, recently. Many events in my life, both sad and happy, have kept me away. Now I am finding it hard to return to my roleplaying hobby due to some disinterest and lost muse. This is my favorite kind of roleplay to be involved in, above all. I understand that maybe 2 out of 10 tries are successful, but if they get off the ground they are very fun and satisfying. I am hoping that maybe this will bring me back to roleplaying at a consistent pace again. I have done these kinds of group roleplays on other websites where sexual content is not allowed and loved every moment involved. On a forum where sex is openly welcomed, I can only imagine things getting better.  ;)  I apologize for the massive amount of content here, but I wanted to cover as much as possible so that you are sure whether or not you would be interested in becoming involved. Hopefully I will find some partners who wouldn’t mind playing with me in this world. If you have any questions please ask, I will do my best to answer. Thank you for reading!

Roll Call

kingdom 1 - Snow Cherry
kingdom 2 - Shjade
kingdom 3 - The Clown Prince
kingdom 4 -

The Clown Prince

Sign me up for Kingdom #3. We shall have the mightiest navy! Or perhaps be a pirate nation!  :o
O/O           Clown's Thoughts              The Clown has Escaped!
I have sworn the Oath of Drake! :o

Shjade

This sounds like an great setup for some layered story results. To be honest I'm not positive I'd be able to keep up with it in the long term, but it'd be worth trying, from my end anyway. Color me interested.

Though I suppose I should ask: is it imperative that a kingdom's ruler have their kingdom's persistence as their goal?
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Snow Cherry

Quote from: The Clown Prince on June 24, 2011, 12:12:44 AM
Sign me up for Kingdom #3. We shall have the mightiest navy! Or perhaps be a pirate nation!  :o

Glad to see you on board! You can set up your nation any way you want, so having the mightiest navy or a nation ran by a pirate king is certainly an option. I have not exactly assigned nations to the map yet, but we do need to claim some spots. What kingdom on the map did you see as #3; yellow, green, brown, pink-ish? I will jot you down for that territory.

Quote from: Shjade on June 24, 2011, 12:34:10 AM
This sounds like an great setup for some layered story results. To be honest I'm not positive I'd be able to keep up with it in the long term, but it'd be worth trying, from my end anyway. Color me interested.

Though I suppose I should ask: is it imperative that a kingdom's ruler have their kingdom's persistence as their goal?

It is great to see that you are interested Shjade! Yes, these kinds of group roleplays usually end up with a few layered story lines. I know that it looks like a lot to fathom from the interest check alone, but once you wrap your mind above the interest check structure and ooc (which I will put up soon) posting in the ic becomes pretty manageable.

Nope, not at all. Your kingdom's ruler can possess any self-centered goal he/she desires to pursue. It is just imperative that you at least have a kingdom ruler. Acquiring a ring for your kingdom is just a backbone plot to give us something to build from. You can twist it around to fit the motives of any of your characters; say for quick example, a king who is after all four rings so that the other kingdoms must bend to yours, or a king who does not desire any of the rings at all for some odd and outlandish reason. The struggle for the rings will definitely be a major focus in Isadoln affecting all of our characters, but the creation of sub-plots through individual characters and their goals are welcomed whether they pertain to the ring-plot or not. Hope that answers your question.

~~~~~~~~~

We could play with only three roleplayers but I would prefer a fourth. The interest check is still young, so I will let it sit for a little while longer to see if anyone else would like to join in. It would be nice if the fourth player could be a female behind the screen, but it really doesn't matter I guess since we can all play both male or female characters.   

The Clown Prince

I like the dark green in the Northeast. Also, hi Snow Cherry!

Snow Cherry

Quote from: The Clown Prince on June 24, 2011, 06:29:44 AM
I like the dark green in the Northeast. Also, hi Snow Cherry!

Hi there! You are up early.

I will mark the dark green as yours.

The Clown Prince

Snow Cherry

Quote from: The Clown Prince on June 24, 2011, 06:52:07 AM
I just haven't been to bed yet.

marked! Your territory has been claimed.

*fluffs your pillow up*

Shjade

Morning. ~.~ *bleary*

I'd take the southeast quad if we're staking claims now. No river and a mountainous peninsula suits me well. Probably pretty arid environment.

So I realize we're meant to qualify the individual qualities of our kingdoms, but could you clarify a bit more on the overall environment you're looking for beyond "like LotR but not LotR?" For instance, would a more wind-themed society allied with great eagles for flying scouts fit in, or is that too outlandish for the intended atmosphere?

Also, should we post ideas/profiles in here or would that be later on in the OOC thread or in PMs or...?
◕/◕'s

bubby

Wow...just wow. This idea is awesome! I wish had the skillz to be able to join, but sadly, there is no way I could turn the crank for it, even with oil. I will watch though, if simply to read the wonderment!

Snow Cherry

Quote from: Shjade on June 24, 2011, 10:05:42 AM
Morning. ~.~ *bleary*

I'd take the southeast quad if we're staking claims now. No river and a mountainous peninsula suits me well. Probably pretty arid environment.

So I realize we're meant to qualify the individual qualities of our kingdoms, but could you clarify a bit more on the overall environment you're looking for beyond "like LotR but not LotR?" For instance, would a more wind-themed society allied with great eagles for flying scouts fit in, or is that too outlandish for the intended atmosphere?

Also, should we post ideas/profiles in here or would that be later on in the OOC thread or in PMs or...?

Alrighty, I've got your territory marked as yours now.   :-)  Actually, you can modify your land anyhow you wish; add rivers, terrain, forests. You can edit the map yourself and customize your kingdom, or you can just tell me how you want it and I can do it for you. Only thing that cannot be changed are the borders. Or you can just leave it the way it is.

I guess to better clarify the environment a list of DONTs would be best, because the list of 'what you can do' is too vast. Giant eagle scouts would fit right in! I do not want it turning steampunkish, or have a civilization too far advanced in technology that they are beyond reason vs. others. I do not want vampires or werewolves, because that is a realm of fantasy that do not fit in with the intended atmosphere envisioned. Keep it medieval technology, with the allowance of some magic-play. Also, do not use dragons because dragons are already the 'wild infestation' believed untameable. Stuff that does not follow some sort of logic is not allowed; so if you were going to create a magician or sorcerer his magical talents have got to originate from a 'source'. Your capital cities can be grand and majestic with unparalleled beauty, or your kingdom can be made up of tiny forts and villages, or a mix. Also, Isadoln is a large island but it is all we know. Your kingdom should have an economic strength that the other kingdoms do not possess such as weapon making, crop resources, an abundance of wood, gems and jewels, horse breeding, exotic luxuries...all of which is traded to the other kingdoms and dispersed throughout Isadoln. I'm not sure what else I can cover here without specifically knowing exactly what is in question. I guess if you have any questions as to whether something would fit in or not just ask about it.  :3

Ideas and character profiles should be posted in the ooc thread, please. I will have it up real soon. If you have an idea or a thought you wish to secretly share with another player for storyline and character interaction, that another player should not know about, than pm's would be the best place to express those kinds of communication.

Snow Cherry

Quote from: bubby on June 24, 2011, 01:03:29 PM
Wow...just wow. This idea is awesome! I wish had the skillz to be able to join, but sadly, there is no way I could turn the crank for it, even with oil. I will watch though, if simply to read the wonderment!

Thank you Bubby! I know you said you do not have the skills, but I am sure you do. Communication and Creativity is just about the only skills you truely need to get the crank turning. Please keep us in mind if you want a challenge because we still have one slot available that needs filled!

Shjade

So just clarifying necessary character minimums, each of us has

1 - kingdom ruler
2 - character with ring that can't use it for our kingdom
3 - character active in another kingdom (I'm assuming 2 & 3 can't be the same character?)
4 & 5 - 2 seats on the 5th kingdom's council

Is that right, then? Or are the 2 council seats more or less just voting positions that don't really get screen time?

Thanks for the clarification, also. Edit: Silly me, following up on your saying ideas go in the OOC thread by posting an idea. ;p
◕/◕'s

Snow Cherry

Quote from: Shjade on June 24, 2011, 01:47:19 PM
So just clarifying necessary character minimums, each of us has

1 - kingdom ruler
2 - character with ring that can't use it for our kingdom
3 - character active in another kingdom (I'm assuming 2 & 3 can't be the same character?)
4 & 5 - 2 seats on the 5th kingdom's council

Is that right, then? Or are the 2 council seats more or less just voting positions that don't really get screen time?

Thanks for the clarification, also. Edit: Silly me, following up on your saying ideas go in the OOC thread by posting an idea. ;p

1, 2, & 3 are correct. To start off you must create at least those three characters. Their existance is important to jump-start the foundation and interaction of our roleplay.

The 2 council seats are just voting positions with little to no screen time (as of right now) in case the fifth kingdom must make some epic choices or decisions later on. We share the fifth kingdom, so each of us has equal voting power over what that kingdom does in relation to all the others. Majority rules, ties will be handled accordingly. If any storylines progress to the useful need of fleshing out your 2 council members then by all means, please do so.

You have the flexibility to create a main character anytime you feel the need (within reason; ex. please don't try and poof a character suddenly into existance during a battle just to come out on top), and the flexibility to discard your characters. Any character you mention in IC that does not have an accompanied CS is considered as npc and can be controlled by anyone. You do not have to create a post every single time for each of your main characters. Only post something about the characters that move the story forward.

No worries! Your questions are good questions that someone else might have, and might help them decide if they would like to join us or not. ^^

Shjade

Quote from: Snow Cherry on June 24, 2011, 02:25:44 PM
Any character you mention in IC that does not have an accompanied CS is considered as npc and can be controlled by anyone.
Now there's an interesting concept. It's always a little rough determining how much you can anticipate other characters' actions in your own posts; having "designated NPCs" is an idea I don't think I've heard for helping to settle that issue.

Can you write up sheets for characters if you have particular details in mind for them and flag the sheet NPC anyway, just sort of an FYI for other players wanting to use the character so they have some background on them first? (Note: the universal "you," of course, applying to whoever came up with the character.)
◕/◕'s

Snow Cherry

Quote from: Shjade on June 24, 2011, 02:38:05 PM
Can you write up sheets for characters if you have particular details in mind for them and flag the sheet NPC anyway, just sort of an FYI for other players wanting to use the character so they have some background on them first? (Note: the universal "you," of course, applying to whoever came up with the character.)

Yep, you sure can. You can create a tavern owner complete with background and personality and leave him open for anyone to roleplay should their main character enter that particular tavern. Just make sure to flag it as NPC, like you mentioned.   ;D

Shjade

*dumps 20 pages of character sheets in the OOC thread*

Did I mention I have a character creation fetish? ^.^;;;
◕/◕'s

Snow Cherry

Btw: Here is the link to the ooc    https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=111249.0

I stuck it in NC - exotic, because we will have different races it seems and NC may or may not happen in a storyline or two.

Snow Cherry

Quote from: Shjade on June 24, 2011, 02:57:35 PM
*dumps 20 pages of character sheets in the OOC thread*

Did I mention I have a character creation fetish? ^.^;;;

LOL!!   ...just please keep it clean and tidy in your empire Bible.

Did I mention I have an organization fetsh?  ^^

Shjade

Hm...if a picture is necessary for each character, does it need to be a real photograph or are drawings acceptable?
◕/◕'s

Snow Cherry

Quote from: Shjade on June 24, 2011, 03:15:35 PM
Hm...if a picture is necessary for each character, does it need to be a real photograph or are drawings acceptable?

It does not matter. Drawings or photographs are both fine.

Shjade

◕/◕'s

Shjade

Dangit Snow, making me wish I had some ability to make some map details of Nautali. ;p

<--person without proper software. x.x
◕/◕'s

Barquel

Hello, I would like to apply for the fourth spot.  I am relatively new to E, but an old hand at roleplaying.  My one caveat is that I need a little time to really read through this thread so that I can contribute a well thought out kingdom/ruler.   Looking forward to your response.

“A little she strove, and much repented,
And whispering, ‘I will ne’er consent’ — consented.”

Snow Cherry

Quote from: Barquel on June 27, 2011, 01:20:27 PM
Hello, I would like to apply for the fourth spot.  I am relatively new to E, but an old hand at roleplaying.  My one caveat is that I need a little time to really read through this thread so that I can contribute a well thought out kingdom/ruler.   Looking forward to your response.

Barquel, welcome to Isadoln! The spot is yours.^^ Thank you so much for raising your hand and helping us out in fulfilling that last kingdom. I look forward to roleplaying with you. Please take as much time as you need. The Clown Prince is running slow because his house is flooding with water and I am am caught up today doing house chores that I cannot ignore. :/  When you are ready go ahead and start posting your stuff into the ooc. Also, if you look at the map there is a big plot of water in the middle of the land. If you want, I can get rid of the water and turn it into land for Nor so that your kingdom is also bordering Nor. Let me know if you favor this alternative to the map layout.   ;D