So many game ideas... Don't know where to start

Started by persephone325, July 28, 2016, 11:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persephone325

If you don't know, I have lots of group game ideas. I have...I think 14 threads in the world building thread dedicated to game ideas that I want to run.

Problem is, I have two that I really want to start. But I don't know which one I should start first. They're both pretty close to be doing, I'd say.

My X-Men idea, which is self-explanatory.
And Lune de la Louisiane (Louisiana's Moon), which is a modern day urban fantasy with witches, vampires, shifters, and werewolves all living in Louisiana with humans.

I don't have the best track record with running games, but I'm trying not to let that stop me from having another go at it.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Cassandra LeMay

In situations like this I usually rely on a coin toss or roll a die. Not because I want to randomize my choice, but because how I react to the result usually tells me something I wasn't consciously aware of before.

Either I look at the result of the coin toss (or dice roll) and feel that I am happy with the result, or I look at the result and start wondering if maybe I should maybe toss the coin again and go with a "best two out of three" result. If it's the latter case I drop that idea and run with the other one.

It may sound like a silly idea, but it really helps me to focus, as it forces me to stop worrying and wondering and turns a "maybe" into a concrete "yes or no" decision.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

persephone325

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 29, 2016, 04:06:09 AM
In situations like this I usually rely on a coin toss or roll a die. Not because I want to randomize my choice, but because how I react to the result usually tells me something I wasn't consciously aware of before.

Either I look at the result of the coin toss (or dice roll) and feel that I am happy with the result, or I look at the result and start wondering if maybe I should maybe toss the coin again and go with a "best two out of three" result. If it's the latter case I drop that idea and run with the other one.

It may sound like a silly idea, but it really helps me to focus, as it forces me to stop worrying and wondering and turns a "maybe" into a concrete "yes or no" decision.

That's actually a really good idea! I didn't think about that. ^^

But, what do you do if you start up the game and it winds up that no one is interested?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: persephone325 on July 29, 2016, 04:11:30 AM
But, what do you do if you start up the game and it winds up that no one is interested?
It depends.

Sometimes advertising a new game ends up being just an opportunity to learn (a) patience, (b) how to deal with disappointment, or (c) both of the above. It's truth no one would like to hear, but it can still be true.

As for strategies to help avoid that unfortunate situation... I am not sure. But a few things you might try are:

1) As you already have worldbuilding threads, mention your interest check there and keep those threads active. Not everyone checks out all worldbuilding threads, but someone might.

2) Put something about it in your signature.

3) Contact people you know and tell them about your game. You have been around a while so you must know a few people you would like to write/roleplay with. If they have their plate full, ask them to post that in your thread, to leave a "would love to play if I had time" message. There are limits to how much and how often you can bump your thread, but there is no rule that I am aware of that forbids you from using "surrogates" to give your thread a gentle nudge now and then. It will also tell people that you are trusted to run a game.

4) Also keep in mind that you can't simply bump a thread regularly, but you can add to an interest check if you add something new to the thread. You can't just bump a thread, but you can strartegize your ... "information dispersal", so to speak.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Oniya

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 29, 2016, 05:17:19 AM
There are limits to how much and how often you can bump your thread, but there is no rule that I am aware of that forbids you from using "surrogates" to give your thread a gentle nudge now and then. It will also tell people that you are trusted to run a game.

Genuine interest posts do serve to keep a thread in the public eye - and rightly so.  If people are interested in playing in a group game, it is good for other potential players to know.  Posts that are obviously being made for the sheer purpose of 'bumping' a thread when the original poster isn't able to are abusing the system.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Blythe

Quote from: persephone325 on July 29, 2016, 04:11:30 AM

Close it after a reasonable amount of time and try the other idea instead!  :-)

I've put up an interest check or two for a group that hasn't garnered interest before--even if you don't get interest, the net benefit of putting up checks is that people see you're willing to GM, get an idea of how you approach that even if they don't nibble on that particular game idea, get to see how you write a bit. There's definitely a demand for GMs, too, and this gets your name out there a bit. Don't be discouraged; keep at it!

persephone325

Thank you guys. ^^

I lit a fire under my ass and got done a bunch of work for my X-Men game. I plan on posting the interest thread tomorrow. *fingers crossed* I'm just waiting for my friend to give it a once over to see if I missed anything that needs to be mentioned.

The only thing I didn't fully finish, was the combat aspect. I figure we won't need it right off the bat, though. I wasn't sure whether to use a system or not. I think I might just have a "work it out between the involved parties" approach. If they have trouble with it, they can always ask me for help.
I don't know.