Interest check - Legend of the Five Rings

Started by HairyHeretic, December 23, 2007, 08:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

Amid the rolling hills and gentle plains of Rokugan rests a city whose walls are as green as jade. Located in the heart of the lands held by the secretive Scorpion, the city is Ryoko Owari Toshi, Journeys End City, the darkest lair of intrigue and villany in the Emerald Empire. Behind the city's gleaming gates lie dark secrets, hidden treasures and posioned knives. Geisha, sake works and even more sinister vices await the unwary traveler who dares seek his fate in the cold, black heart of the city. Brave her streets if you dare, but beware, for danger hides behind painted faces.

This is the City of Lies

- - - - -

City of Lies is a 1st ed L5R boxed campaign, that I would propose running under 3rd ed rules. The players would take the roles of Emerald Magistrates travelling to the city with a two-fold mission; first - break up the illegal opium trade (Ryoko Owari being the center of both the legal and illegal opium trade); and secondly, find out who murdered the previous Emerald Magistrate.

Anyone interested? I can accomidate 6-8 players on this (given the group I've played with locally), though with more players some would likely be yoriki (deputies to the Magistrates) or perhaps yojimbo (bodyguards).
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Elven Sex Goddess

I have a very big interest in LotFR.   However, I only have the books in the d20 system and not the original d10 system.   

An not familiar with the 1st edition.  The Scorpion captital, is it under caretaker care of the Unicorn clan at this time.  Plus another question can a character be like a Shosuro or Bayushi  posing as a yoriki or yojimbo.

HairyHeretic

The campaign is 1st ed, but I'd be running with 3rd ed rules. I can sort you out there, so don't worry. I've played 1st, 2nd and 3rd ed, and I think 3rd ed is the best ruleset.

The campaign takes place in the year 1122, which is a fair bit before the current timeline the card game has advanced. This is significantly pre Scorpion coup.

The Scorpion are still a great clan, and the Mantis a minor one at this point in time. The city is Scorpion, governed by the Shosuro family, though there are members of all the Scorpion families there. The Unicorn have a fairly major presence, as this city is a trade hub for them too. Scorpion characters will not be a problem.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

LordAnubis

L5R makes me want to bring up my Mirumoto Bushi.  I love that setup.

Elayne

A system game I recognize!  :)

I'd love to play in this, maybe as a Crane or Scorpion, or a Crab. 
"Writing is like prostitution. First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money." -Moliere

Lanzlo

This does sound interesting. I would like to join in. I do have the 3rd Ed book, so I can create a character for you.

HairyHeretic

Ok, 4 is a good number to get started with. If anyone else is interested we can sort them out as and when they arrive.

What characters are people interested in? I know we have a (confirmed?) Mirumoto bushi, but what about the rest of you? I would recommed a shukenja in the party, based on my own experiences with the campaign.

To make things a bit easier on you, do you want to start at rank 2, or just go with beginning characters? And who all wants a hand with character creation (standard 3rd ed rules, with 1 free roll on the backgrounds chart, if you want it).

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

Hi, I've never made a character for third edition, but I'd love to play, if the pace is reasonable. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Jefepato

I'd be interested, but I don't actually know the system.  I'll have to see if I can dig it up somewhere.

HairyHeretic

I can *ahem* provide help with the rules, where necessary  ;D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Seereous

I would most definitely be interested in this game. However, i do not have the books, though that is a problem easily remedied.

I'm thinking one of either the Spider Clan or the Phoenix. Given the premise, perhaps the Spider Clan would be best, yes?

Jefepato

That might be good.  The corebook seems to be the one book that can't be found.

HairyHeretic

At this point in the timeline the Spider do not exist.

The Mantis are still a minor clan, so would unlikely to be providing a magistrate, but I have no issue with yoriki coming from minor clans. Oh, and the Agasha are still members of the Dragon clan. They haven't moved to the Phoenix yet.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Elven Sex Goddess

Alright I am looking for help  I have decided to play a if possible  a  Crane  Shugenja/courtier type of the Asahina family 

Her name will be Asahina Meiwha.    An of course will adhere to the standard Asahina family trait of pacifism.   So Lanzo, Hairyhertic I need help in creating in the 3rd edition system.  Since all I have is the d20 rules for the setting.   With selecting the proper schools and such and getting the traits down. 

Thanks

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, I have no problem with several people coming from the same clan.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

LordAnubis

Standard rules for making a rank 2?  build character like normal then the XP listed in the 3rd Ed. book?  Just wanted to make sure before I began building him.  It's the usual 45 Cp and then 40 xp.  Since being rank 2 requires the 150 insight rating.

Also, is it fine if we buy Katas provided we have the XP left over to afford it?

HairyHeretic

I suggested rank 2 to start with, but no one has weighed in with a yay or nay on it. Before everyone gets too involved in character creation, can I get a consensus on that from everyone please. Do you want to start with standard character creation, or go with rank 2?

If the majority want rank 2, then we go with the rules in the book45CP to start with, and then 40xp to advance. If you don't reach the rank 2 in spending those xp, thems the breaks.

I have no problem with katas being bought, as long as you fulfill the requirements for it. For those who have other 3rd ed books and want to use any advantages / disadvantages / katas or whatever from them, run it by me first. I don't think there are any that are unbalancing, but I'd rather check.

Some may have come in at a later point in the timeline, hence would be better avoided now is my only concern.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Elayne

I'd prefer to begin with rank 1 characters and move up in the story.
"Writing is like prostitution. First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money." -Moliere

Elven Sex Goddess

I will go with the consensus, it matters not 1st or 2nd rank in starting.  I will go with the majority the others want. 

Muse

As I recall, in Rokugan, Kabuki theater isn't entirly beneath a noble? 

Could I do a samurai from one of the clans bordering the Shadowlands who had a soft spot for Kabuki theater growing up, to the point where he learned some hand fighting and acrobatics as part of the performance, then spent a few years fighting the shadowlands, and is curently along as a yojimbo on account of the last group of magistraits being murdered? 

My usual charecter archetypes for more cunning charecters really don't lend themselves to samurai honor, but a serene, courteous, physicaly strong, and very dangerous samurai could be a lot of fun. 

Come to think of it, if Yojimbo's are secondary concepts, though, I could do just fine with a particularly high born samurai-ko named Sakura who is tall, but more quick and gracious than strong, and is trained for both diplomacy and combat. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Jefepato

I never object to a more powerful character, so if we're putting it to a vote I'd rather start at rank 2, but I don't much mind either way.  I'm still learning the system (which I must say looks pretty cool), so starting small won't be so bad.

Do I understand correctly that characters who aren't members of the samurai caste or monks pretty much get screwed (not just socially but stat-wise)?

LordAnubis

I personally vote for rank 2, I found in the table top game I was always blitzing for 2nd rank because that was when the Mirumoto Bushi could really stand their own in a fight and focus on expanding skills, even noncombat skills.  Plus when you achieve rank 2 you have to travel back to get training.

Coutiers and the like don't get screwed.  You only get screwed if you try to play a peasant, which I don't think you can.

If anyone intends to play a monk magistrate I'm going to ask my friend his build, 3k3 unarmed damage, better then a Katana.

HairyHeretic

No, monks aren't screwed, as some of their kihos can be quite powerful. One of the folks in my pen and paper group plays a monk. Monks are a little odd socially, since they're kinda outside of the normal social structure, but they're normally treated with respect.

Playing a ronin, or a member of a minor clan will put you at a disadvantage socially, but not necessarily stat-wise. I'd have to rule out ronin as anything other than yojimbo to another character though. You simply wouldn't have a ronin magistrate. A sufficiently talented ronin could serve as yoriki or doshin (doshin are a minor yoriki, very much a magistrates foot troops).

The only clan border the shadowlands is the crab, and they wouldn't have much time for theatre. If you don't want to play a particularly honorable character, you always have the option of a Scorpion, who no one expects to be honourable (whether they are or not), or a minor clan member, who aren't held as strictly to the code of bushido as a great clan member.

The one person expected to have a yojimbo would be the shukenja, as others are expected to fight their own duels :)

I'd also recommend everyone put 1 point into Lore - Law. As a magistrate, you're kinda expected to know the law :) Investigation is also another useful skill.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Jefepato

Quote from: hairyheretic on December 25, 2007, 03:01:20 PM
No, monks aren't screwed, as some of their kihos can be quite powerful.

I said those who aren't samurai or monks.  IIRC, there was a sidebar mentioning how to play people further down the social ladder.  Apparently it's possible if you really want to, but you miss out on all the bonuses.  But I suppose it wouldn't make much sense in this game anyway.

I'm vaguely thinking of playing a Scorpion, but I need to read more.

HairyHeretic

Ah, I misunderstood what you said. I thought you imply the monks were also second class characters, as it were.

Edit - a couple of other points I should mention. With regard to training, as long as I see a skill being used, I have no real problem with it being raised. Just run it by me before spending points. Having to travel back to your own lands and train for several weeks to go up a level is also impractical, so once you have enough insight, you get the next rank and ability then and there.

Magistrates are also supposed to report periodically to the Emerald Champion, but I think written reports can be considered sent regularly, so as not to interfere with the game.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

LordAnubis

Alright.

Well then I guess it just needs to be decided if it's going to be rank 1 or 2.  I see 1 strong vote for each side.  I think Jep is leaning towards rank 2 and then alot of middle ground.

HairyHeretic

Rank 2 does seem to be somewhat favoured, yes.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

LordAnubis

While I'm hoping rank 2 wins, should more input be obtained?  I just want to make sure before I put too much into the character idea, since it's two different builds.

Muse

If you'd be intrested in having me as Sakura, Rank II please. 

If you'd have me, I need help making her, though, if only a way to borrow 3rd edition books. 

Elven Sex Goddess

QuoteThe one person expected to have a yojimbo would be the shukenja, as others are expected to fight their own duels Smiley

So need to build this in to the character build. 

Next question is I have.  Is those that are emerald magistrates, do we have to take the advantage social position 5pts or is this assumed.  An thus given for free.   

HairyHeretic

Ok, looks like the majority want Rank 2, or are happy with either, so I'm going to say go with rank 2 characters. You can assume that at least part of the time between the rank 1 and 2 was spent training for the role of magistrate / yoriki, and can take skills accordingly.

Muse, check your PMs and get back to me if you need anything more.

Quote from: Asherah on December 26, 2007, 05:15:03 PM
So need to build this in to the character build. 

Unless someone wants to volunteer themselves, we can sort one out for you. Hiring a ronin as a bodyguard would cost 1-2 koku a month, depending on how good the bodyguard was.

The Magistrate receives an annual salary of 100 koku (1 koku being the ammount of rice it takes to feed a peasent (family?) for a year). Each koku can be divided into 5 silver bu, or 100 copper zeni. Magistrates are expected to pay their own retainers out of that.

Quote from: Asherah on December 26, 2007, 05:15:03 PM
Next question is I have.  Is those that are emerald magistrates, do we have to take the advantage social position 5pts or is this assumed.  An thus given for free.   

Neither. As a duly appointed Emerald magistrate your status is 4.5.You'll outrank pretty much anyone other than nobility and similarly important people.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Jefepato

I'm currently thinking of playing a Bayushi courtier.

Do I have to take the Honor hit for learning/increasing Low Skills during character creation?  I'm not sure I can actually start with appropriate levels of Deceit, etc. without ending up in the hole.

Dragoondawg25

hmmm i think i need to do a little reading before taking a stab at this lol :o
Heterosexual Switch: Humor DLC included
My Discord: Dragoondawg2582
Ons & Offs

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Jefepato on December 26, 2007, 09:50:56 PM
I'm currently thinking of playing a Bayushi courtier.

Do I have to take the Honor hit for learning/increasing Low Skills during character creation?  I'm not sure I can actually start with appropriate levels of Deceit, etc. without ending up in the hole.

As far as I know you only lose honour if you're seen to be using low skills. Simply knowing them doesn't cost you honour.

Plus, given Rokugani society, unless something is acknowledged, it hasn't happened :) That can be quite handy in having certain activities overlooked by your colleagues.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Jefepato

Per page 91, you lose Honor equal to the new rank when you learn or increase Low Skills (if you're a non-ronin samurai).

If I estimate my math correctly, I could very easily bottom out my Honor, and while that's a fixable problem I doubt people with Honor 0 are normally chosen as Emerald Magistrates.

LordAnubis

Well it is also honor points, not honor ranks.  UNless you're getting 10-20 ranks in low skills you should be fine.  10 honor points to a rank.  Using a low skill is frowned upon, but it isn't going to kill an entire honor rank.  You should be fine, plus you can take crafty to give you a free "rank" in all low skills, make it a little easier on you.

HairyHeretic

Hmm. I must have missed that.

I think the simplest thing is that the points you spend on initial character build won't affect your honour any. Any subsequent learning or acknowledged use of those skills during the game will incur the normal changes, but at least in game you'll have a chance to gain honour through your actions as well to offset that.

You could also buy the perceived honour advantage.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

LordAnubis

One thing that might be a good idea when we find out the clans everyone is playing, we should put down the clan relations.

Such as I know the Dragon and the Scorpion have decent relations because the Scorpion give food to the dragon and even help occasionally with the Dragon Pheonix boarder disputes.

I know in the table top versions we've forgotten how clanist the world really is, might be a good idea to have the current state of relations at the time of the game.  Just a thought.

Lanzlo

OK, sorry I haven't kept up with this thread for a while. But, I'm here now.

I can, perhaps, play a Scorpion Shinobi posing as a courtier. I'll roll her up when I get off of work later today. (And yes, I can make her Rank 2)

Elven Sex Goddess

So right now it looks like 1 crane, 1 dragon and a couple of scorpions for the clans. 

HairyHeretic

I think the only major clashes recently have been Lion / Crane, and Scorpion/ Minor Clans (Sparrow, Wasp and Fox I think), so the relations between the others ought not to cause any problems.

And in the party so far we have
Asherah - Crane Shukenja
Elayne - Crab Bushi
LordAnubis - Dragon Bushi
Lanzlo - Scorpion 'courtier'

Have I missed anyone?

Muse .. how you coming with a character concept? Got anything firmly in mind yet?
Seerious .. you still interested?
Dragoondawg25 .. you played L5R before? The samurai mindset can be a tricky one to get into, its very different from the standard gaming worlds.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Jefepato

To be perfectly honest, although L5R sounds pretty cool, it looks like we have drastically too many players for my tastes.  I'm going to have to bow out.

LordAnubis

If anyone is new to the system, or just looking for help, I'm willing to help. 

I know alot of games die because of character generation taking too long.

Dragoondawg25

i made a character once for a tabletop of the game but didnt get off the ground because i only understood half of what was being said to me by the GM.  i got the pdf file i just think i need to read more about it, i used to play the card game back in the day for a little bit.
Ons & Offs

Muse

I'm looking at a Samurai-ko with courtier training from the Crane clan currently. 

HairyHeretic

You thinking a Kakita Bushi or a Doji Courtier school student?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

The current chart I'm looking at is a Kakita Bushi, but with Courtier, Ettiquette, and Investigation at 3. 

She's a fairly highly placed person in the family, by birth any way, with some extra money, a personal attendent, and a Kakita Blade. 

Kakita Sakura of the Crane Clan and the Kakita Bushi School. 

Air      3
Awareness      3
Reflexes      3

Earth      2
Stamina         2
Willpower      2

Fire      3
Agility         3
Intelgence      3

Water      2
Perception      2
Strength      2

Void      2

Honor      3.5

Skills: 
Athletics      1
Courtier      3
Defense         5
Etequitte      3
Horsemanship      1
Iajutsu         3
Investigation      3
Jiujutsu      1
Kenjutsu (Katana)   5
Kyujutusu      1
Lore (Heraldry)      1
Lore (History)       1
Lore (Law)      1
Medecine      1
Meditation      0
Stoytellign (Poetry)   1
Tea Ceremony      1

Advantages: 
2   Fleet (+20 additional feet of movement/round) 
3   Quick +1 Dice for Initiative
5   Kakita Blade
5   Social Position
1   Servant (Personal Atendent, Etiquette 3)
2   Wealthy +3 Koku
2   Voice

Disadvantages: 
-2   Idealistic
-3   Leachery

HairyHeretic

I think you've over spent on the points here Muse. Remember, when you're buying skills, it works like this
Rank 1 = 1 point
Rank 2 = +2 points
Rank 3: +3 points

So to take a skill to rank 3 will cost you 6 points.

Also, your rank 1 Kakita ability means you can use your iaijutsu skill in place of kenjutsu when using your katana, so kenjutsu is a skill you can afford to drop lower without hurting yourself.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

*nods*  that's how I bought my skills. 

Assuming that experience points work the same as build points. 

HairyHeretic

Yeah, they do. I think I made it about 10 points over or so. You automatically get rank 1 in the school skills, and then anything else you buy as normal. Not sure why you put meditation 0 though.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Couple of other things, while I'm thinking of it.

Anyone got a preference for catagory? I'm expecting sex and violence, and occasional Oni (though sex with an Oni isn't real likely to happen).

Second, do you want a prologue scene where you receive your mission from Dji Satsume (the Emerald Champion), or just kick things off with the arrival at Ryoko Owari?

I have a couple of books that the players should get (well, 1 they should, one they may find), but I need to scan that and put it into some kind of format you can make use off, which is probably going to take a while.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Lanzlo

Well I, for one, vote for the personal introduction thread. Help us get into character. :)

Speaking of character... here's Shosuro Akane, 'courtier' of Clan Scorpion, Rank 2 of the Shosuro shinobi school.

Rings:
Earth 2
Water 2
Fire 3
Air 3
Void 2

Skills:
Athletics 2
Deceit 3
Defense 3
Kenjutsu 3
Ninja Ranged Weapons 3
Stealth (Sneaking) 3
Underworld 2
Courtier 3
Ettiquette 2
Poison 2
Sleight of Hand 2
Perform/Music (Flute) 3
Investigation 2

Advantages:
Dangerous Beauty (1)
Crafty (4)
Perceived Honor +3 (6)
Shosuro Blade (4)

Disadvantages:
Rumormonger (4)
Low Pain Threshold (5)

Heritage: A Hero's End-Yojimbo

School Techniques:
Shadow Has No Mask
Shadow Has No Mercy

Posessions:
Katana (Shosuro blade)
Wakazashi
Ninja-to
10 Shuriken
Blowgun with 10 darts
Courtier clothing
Dark clothing
Kimono and sandals
Traveling pack with flute, fan, mask (black full face), coin purse, chopsticks, hand mirror, makeup kit, mortar and pestle, perfume, and a handful of sweets
10 koku

LordAnubis

I'd say Mid to heavy, but that's just in case.

I'd say show up at the city of lies.  Given it's a forum game, we might end up too long in a prolougue.  If we get into the game, better survival chance.  Could make a post that detaisl what went on at the meeting, so people have the same idea, but I'd vote for throwing us ingot the mission.

HairyHeretic

Ok, so kick things off with the group arriving at a small hill overlooking the city, quick flashback to the mission brief from the Emerald Champion, and then on from there?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

LordAnubis

Per curiousity.  What is your current plan on the XP?  I was just curious because it dawned on me that there wasn't a nice end of game session on a forum game.

May not be the most important thing but I was curious.

HairyHeretic

Normally I find it works out to about 1 xp per hour of game play around a table. In forum terms, that would probably be between 1 and 2 weeks, depending on posting speed. I guess I'll just have to judge it depending on how much gets accomplished in a particular time period.

I also have the option for players to nominate others for an additional point per session, for doing something particularly impressive, funny, in character or whatever.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

LordAnubis

Alright. I just wanted to know because higher purpose gives me the free one and in the table top games it's well balanced, but in forum games I've seen it go both ways.  Where the person gives XP out at the end of the whole mission, 3 months of playing, and I've seen where they give it out at each milestone in the game.  The first higher purpose isn't worth it, and the other high purpose becomes abusive because originally they were giving out 1 or 2 Xp for each milestone and I'm pulling 2-3 each mile stone.

I just wanted to know because I realized I took that advantage this time and wanted to avoid either of those situations.

HairyHeretic

If it worries you we can discuss things privately and reach some ammount we both feel is fair.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

I'm going to have company arriving shortly, and staying through til tomorrow, so I'll see about kicking off the intro thread tomorrow afternoon or so.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Dragoondawg25

Name: Soshi Hashimoto
Clan: Scorpion
School: Bayushi Bushi
Insight: 151

Traits:
Rings:
Earth 2
   Stamina: 2 
   Willpower: 2
Water:2
    Strength: 2     
    Perception: 3
Fire: 3
   Agility: 3     
   Intelligence: 3
Air:3
   Reflexes: 3     
   Awareness: 3
Void: 3

Skills:      Emphasis            Rank:
Coutier  (political maneuvering)       1
Defense:                      3
Etiquette:                       1
Laijutsu:                      1
Kenjutsu: (Katana)                3
Kyujutsu:                       1
Meditation:                       1
Investigation: (Notice)             3
Lore Law:                      3
Underworld Lore:                2
Poison:                      2

Outfit:
Katana, Wakizashi, Bow and 20 Arrows, any one weapon, light armor, kimono, sandals, traveling pack 7 koku.

Primary Weapon: Shosuro Blade
   Roll to Attack (Trait/Weapon Skill): 6k3+3
   DR: 6k2
   Quality: Sacred Weapon
   Special Abilities: Free raise on poisons, poison resists at +5 TN

Armor: Light armor
   TN Bonus: 5
   Quality: Normal
   Special Abilities:

TN to be Hit:
   =Reflexes x 5 + Armor + Other Modifiers:
Initiative:
   Roll Reflexes/School Rank:
7k3
Current Initiative:

Honor: 1.5
Glory: 1.0
Shadowlands Taint: 0.0

Advantages:
•   Bishamon Blessing:
You have been noticed by one of the Seven Fortunes, Bishamon, the Fortune of Strength, has graced you with his blessing.  For every 2 Raises you successfully make on an attack roll, you gain an additional Free Raise.
•   Precise memory:
You have the incredible ability to memorize and recall large amounts of information, including names, dates, facts, and figures.  When attempting to remember information you have seen before, you must succeed at an Intelligence roll with a TN of 10.  More obscure or specific information may increase the TN considerably at the GMs discretion.
•   Quick:
  Your reaction speed is truly phenomenal. When making an Initiative roll, you always roll one additional die. Scorpion characters may purchase this advantage for 2 points.
•   Read lips:
You have the ability to read lips at a distance, understanding conversations that you cannot overhear.  This requires a raw perception roll against a TN of 20 for every minute of conversation you are attempting to decipher.  The TN increases by 1 for every foot father away then 10 feet your target is.  You cannot read the lips of anyone more then 25 feet away.
•   Scared weapon of the Scorpion
  The smiths of every clan craft majestic weapons that become the stuff of legends, and you have been chosen to wield such a weapon.  These weapons are truly magnificent, and are particular to each clan.  The number in parenthesis after the weapons name is the number of character points you must spend to purchase this advantage.  Weapon:  Scorpion Shosuro Blade (4) 4k2, Free Raise on Poison, poison resists +5 TN.

Disadvantages:
•   Bad Reputation:
  You have a habit or history that many find offensive.  You could be known as a gambler, a drinker or someone who bends the concept of honor.  It is possible this bad reputation is unwarranted, stemming from a misunderstanding.  In any case, your Glory is always treated as if it were 3 less by those aware of this reputation. If this brings your glory below 1 rank you instead gain Infamy for each rank below 1 this would place you.
•   Benten Curse:
There is something about you that others find unsettling or just plain disturbing.  You have a difficult time getting others to let their guard down, and often you are the first one suspicion falls on when things go wrong. Any Etiquette Skill Rolls or rolls to be cordial or persuasive have their TNs raised by 10.
•   Driven:
You have a single goal that you are utterly devoted to achieving.  You will turn your back on your friends, family, and even your honor in order to reach your prize.  This disadvantage is worth 4 points for Scorpion characters.  For Soshi Hashimoto it is to be recognized as one of the best swordsmen in the land.  Never to back down from a fight if he can help it.  And always seeking to prove himself the best.
•   Insensitive:
  The three most important things to you are your health, your welfare, and your interests. You don’t care overmuch about the plight of others, and you don’t go to great lengths to keep this a secret.  With the exception of those who contribute directly to your well being, you must spend a void point to put yourself at risk for another if there is not a direct benefit for you.

School Abilities: p142 of pdf.
Ons & Offs

HairyHeretic

Do you particularly need Bad Reputation for your back story? Given the nature of that disadvantage, I'm thinking it would make it a bit harder for someone like that to be nominated as an Imperial Magistrate.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

And we're off.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=12404.0

Welcome, Magistrate-samas. Welcome to Ryoki Owari, and the Night of a Thousand Screams.

Cattle die, kinsmen die