Aetherpunk - Victorian Era Steampunk game - LGBT Friendly

Started by Crash, November 14, 2017, 08:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Winterim

Slowly but surely updating all of this to be more helpful for RPing.  Please do reach out!  I only bite under specific circumstances.

New and improved Winterim now comes with some sort of rough O/O page!  Hooray!

Crash

Quote from: Winterim on January 20, 2018, 03:37:18 PM
D'oh! Sorry, I am an eejit- I'll post her in the right place as soon as I'm home!

Lol.  No worries.  Glad to have you in the game.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

ArtemisHighmore

Blinks. We're active again? I was under the impression the whole thread was archived...

Crash

Quote from: ArtemisHighmore on January 24, 2018, 12:41:52 AM
Blinks. We're active again? I was under the impression the whole thread was archived...

Oh yeah we are active again.

ArtemisHighmore

Crash

Hazy Sky

Looking for and accepting new stories.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Crash

Praxis

Hi there.

Seeking approval of my character concept (below)

Please let me know if I overstepped with some of the stuff I have written and/or come up with.

Cheers.

-------------------------------------

Name: Percival "Galahad" Mallory
Player: Praxis
Concept: Sergeant with the SFPD - Surveillance "On High" Rapid Deployment Corps (Referred to in official channels as S.O.H.R.D. or "sword") // "Helldivers" (as called by the citizenry of San Francisco)
Trouble: An Englishman in 19th century America, Percival can be a little "stranger in a strange land" from time to time. 

Percival has an unwavering amount of faith in the tech. and gear issued to him by the SFPD as well as fully trusting of the other officers in the S.O.H.R.D. Corps.  This faith (some might call it naievety) extends to all members of the SFPD.  Rumours of corruption in multiple parts of the SFPD; particularly so in the Whipshot Corps is met with a significant amount of skepticism and a conviction to ensure he is as transparent with the citizenry as possible in order to prove to them that rumours of corruption are merely that.  Rumours. 

The officers of the S.O.H.R.D. under Percival's command and supervision have taken to calling him Galahad.  While at first blush this might appear to be a compliment but once having spent some time with Percival's men as well as spending time in Percival's company it becomes easier to see that the name might be more of an indictment than a compliment.

Another small problem that Percival has had in the past eighteen months is a minor obstacle he needed to overcome after a particular deployment went a little bit sour. Percival played a key role in the organizing and executing of a series of high profile raids on a number of secret warehouses owned by the Kelsian Syndicate.  He single-handedly apprehended a number of key members of the Synidcate's leadership and was starting to make quite a name for himself not only in the SFPD and the citizenry of the Slums but the Kelsian Syndicate as well.  While deploying into a part of the city under the influence of the Kelsian Syndicate; Percival and the officers with him happened upon what Percival calls a bit of misfortune and what others have referred to as a "fuckin' trap!"  A building that had unofficially become an orphanage of sorts for some of the children in the Slums was burning.  The Fire Supression and Support Teams were indisposed of at the time; and possibly reluctant to come to what was considered to be a more dangerous part of the Slums.  Percival volunteered his detachment to deploy and assist.  Some of the most troublesome and dangerous people associated with the Kelsian Syndicate were waiting for Percival and the other Helldivers and it went quite poorly for them.

This was when Percival and the SFPD became aware of one Elisabeth Beckensale.  Known amongst the citizenry as The Baroness; it seemed that she was a high ranking member of the Kelsian Syndicate who had done an exemplary job of staying off the daily briefings of the SFPD up until the time that Percival had been responsible for the apprehending and sentencing of nearly three-quarters of the Syndicates crime lords. After an altogether savage fight between the Syndicate, Percival and the officers that arrived with him; the members of the SFPD were captured.

One week later, a pile of naked and seemingly tortured bodies were found neatly stacked outside a long since abandoned SFPD detachment at the edge of Kelsian Syndicate territory.  Each body belonged to one of the officers that had deployed with Percival and atop that pile was Percival; himself.  Naked, unconscious and seemingly intractable when it came to relinquishing his hold on life.  Aside from the undeniably unpleasant looking scars that now adorned his chest and upper arms was a one in particularly that clearly looked like someone had carved a jagged heart shape into his chest with the initials "E.B." contained therein.

Percival is still plagued with rumours that The Baroness has taken a shine to him and that was why she spared his life.  A good number of the citizenry in the Slums altogether enjoy the tragic and delightful romance that exists between "Galahad" and "The Baroness".  Percival does his best to not encourage these rumours and flat out denies that there is any sort of emotional entanglements with the savage criminal mastermind.  He also flatly denies to discuss what transpired over those seven days that he and his fellow officers were captured, tortured and dispatched without any sort of hesitation.

Orientation: Heterosexual
Ons: Exotic/Unusual appearances, possibly a little too much make up, the air of having put some thought and effort into one's appearance, a woman in heels, a woman in boots, a woman in lingerie
Offs: A lack of civility, ignorance, intolerance, a lack of grace; physically sure but more important a lack of emotional and social grace
Limits: None that I can think of.  I'm here to write and explore.  Go ahead and push. Let's see what happens.

National Affiliation and Ancestry: British.

Appearance:
Hair: Sandy blonde
Eyes: Blue
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 11.5 Stone (163 lbs)

Description: Percival is lean and hard even for what is deemed an "advanced age" for an officer of the S.O.H.R.D. Corps.  Where most officers of his rank quickly transition to an administrative position to avoid the intense rigors of deploying as a Helldiver; Percival works very diligently to ensure that he is in a state of optimum physical health.  While no one has ever witnessed his grooming it is widely accepted that Percival's hair is simply never out of place and his facial hair can always be considered quite impeccable.

Sergeant Percival "Galahad" Mallory

After a particularly violent encounter with a crimelord; Percival was on the receiving end of a number of unpleasant scars that can be found carved into the flesh of his chest, abdomen, arms and back.  Most noticeable, a savagely carved heart shape with the letters E.B. carved within.

Personality: Polite, proper, precise.  Percival believes that ignorance, unkindness and a lack of civility can be corrected with an unflappable disposition and by being an excellent example of how to behave for others to take note of.

Background:

Percival grew up over seas and was raised much as any young man would be in the greatest empire in the world.  He was taught morals and values and when it came time to enlist in the war overseas he did just that and excelled as a leader of men and a shining example for his men to follow as well as what other officers could aspire to become.

After a series of particularly ruthless and bloody battles, Percival began to question whether all the blood being spilled was worth it.

On his thirty-third birthday he informed his commanding officer that he would be retiring from duty.  It was met with quiet, polite disbelief and behind closed doors...outrage.

Nevertheless, Percival could not, nor would not be swayed from his decision. Unable to return home for fear of bringing greater shame to his family, he headed west and in time, took up work with the San Francisco constabulary.  In that time, the best and the brightest were not exactly rushing into line to become police officers. Generally it was the men that were not smart enough or strong enough to survive as criminals, so once again Percival was thrust into a role where was to be a beacon of sorts for the men around him.

Over the course of three years, he has turned around the Surveillance On High Rapid Deployment (S.O.H.R.D.) ("Helldivers") Corps; who were once known for their brutal, ruthless thuggery.  He has become their Sergeant and their moral compass.  He's even found time to teach a few of them how to read and how to appreciate a fine cup of tea after a particularly harrowing arrest.

After a particular troublesome encounter with a Kelsian Syndicate crimelord known in the Slums as The Baroness; Percival has become more popular amongst the citizenry with no small amount of speculation and rumours about his social life.  Having found out that his nickname of "Galahad"; provided for him by other officers in the Corp, some citizens of the Slums have missed out on the wry connotation and have used it as a platform to proclaim him as a paragon of virtue in the broken and corrupted city of San Francisco.  In some ways; he is very much their "white knight".

Strengths: Attentive, precise, dauntless, unflappable, intractable, smart, a crack shot with sidearms and long guns, athletically gifted, patient
Weaknesses: Naieve, trusting, reluctant to doubt the methods and motivations of those in positions of authority

Goals: Be a bastion of virtue and respectability for the citizenry of San Francisco.  Serve and protect the citizenry of San Francisco.  Protect the officers under his command at all cost.

Plots: Crime, law enforcement, combat, politics, intrigue, supernatural, unrequited love, reasonably awkward romance; scenes of derring-do!

Skills :

Procedural Investigative Work - Percival has a good deal of time invested in the process of investigating a crime or some other event.  While it's not a glamorous process; nor is it expeditious he is quite capable. of grinding through facts, data and evidence which leads to him piecing together an answer or solution.

Detective Work - Percival has a keen eye and a mind that is fleet enough to help him solve matters when out in the field.

Firearms - Percival is a crack shot with sidearms as well as long guns.  Standing still; he can put your eye out.  On the move, not quite as good but a good deal better than most.

Boxing and Close Combat - Percival is excellent at the gentlemanly art of boxing.  Through his military experience he also has some basic familiarity with some rudimentary grappling techiniques.

Slums Contacts -  While certainly not a celebrity, a good number of people know of him and know he is trustworthy.  This can in turn lead to some much needed information when he happens to be out of options.

Gear:

Gas Gun
The Janus Industries Mk III Demeter Variant of their gas gun is possibly their most successful model.  Few police officers actually carry them however due to the opinion that a better way to subdue a criminal is to simply drive a round through their chest or their leg.  Sergeant Percival thinks otherwise.

The Demeter Variant fires a cryonic pellet consisting of a hybrid formula involving a horse sedative and a chemical that causes vision to blur and one's nose to drip a foul-smelling mucus.  More successful than most models, at optimum range (30 feet), the pellet will have thawed enough upon leaving the chamber of the pistol to strike the target leaving behind a gel-like substance that is difficult to scrape off and will render a subject helpless within one to five and a half minutes; leaving them helpless for roughly twelve minutes (time shortens depending on stamina of subject)

Firing the Demeter too closely will cause the frozen pellet to simply bounce off the target or shatter upon impact.  At too far, the pellet destabilizes, becomes wildly inaccurate and ineffective.  Still...when it works...it works great.

SFPD Spurlock and Westron "Reliable" with Aetheric Scope attached

One of the standard issue sidearms for police officers in the area and the name given of "Reliable" is a suitable one.  The pistols jam and misfire four times less than the previous models and while only being in the field for two years, the pistol is receiving excellent reviews from the officers.  It is a heavy sidearm and requires a strong arm to fire and aim consistently.  Some officers wryly agree that if they happen to miss with their shot, they can always throw the "Reliable" at their target and most likely knock them out.  The sidearm is capable of accepting a number of different rounds IF they are distributed to the police officers which are few and far between but there are indeed rumours of silver-jacketed rounds, as well as "armour-chewers".  A rare, and wildly complicated loadout that involves magnets, gears and miniature rotating grinders with a concentrated acid-based delivery system.

Suffice to say, the standard rounds are just fine for Sergeant Percival and his Helldivers.

While most police officers prefer to not use the Aetheric Scope attachment due to adding weight to the already heavy sidearm as well as making it a bit more unwieldy.  Sergeant Percival is a crack shot with the Aetheric Scope which is capable of excellent magnification as well as projecting a faint blue, Aetheric beam that can be used pinpoint targets and in some cases bounce fired rounds off metal and make some impressive, if not interesting shots.

SFPD Sergeant Issued Tesla Baton

As a symbol of their rank, all Sergeants in the police force are issued Tesla Clubs.  Much like the standard batons given all officers, these ones are capable of issuing a significant electrical charge, stunning and incapacitating anyone struck fully by one.  Prone to power surges however, they have been known to electrocute the person wielding them while in the middle of combat.  The battery life for a fully charged Tesla Baton is capable of running for a little over five minutes.

Standard Issue SFPD Helldiver Protective Head Covering

The protective head gear issued to all SFPD Helldivers.  It offers a minimal amount of protection should one hit one's head, but plenty of protection for eyes, ears and mouth while "diving" from the airship.

The lenses also allow for infrared.  They are prone to getting "stuck" in that mode however which can lead to bright lights blinding the police officers so the infra-red is used sparingly.

Sergeant Mallory chooses not to wear his headgear.  He finds them impersonal and intimidating which goes against his particular brand of community policing.  He does encourage and enforce that all of the men and women that report to him wear them however.

Lutholdt Tech Holdings Opticks Enhancers

Sergeant Mallory uses these goggles during investigations or when in pursuit of a criminal upon the ground.  Aetheric powered and with thirty minutes of use per battery.  The goggles are capable of projecting light at 1000 candlewatt, infrared and 10X magnification...if fiddled about with.

Inspiration for character concept

Crash

I am going to let Ksrma comment on this as the SFPD has been his baby.

TheGlyphstone

What do you see as being within the abilities of mysticism/magic? I'm heavily tempted to put together a Chinese mystic chi adept of some kind, but being able to perform real-life wuxia stunts would shape a very different character than a peak-of-humanity fighter.

Crash

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 25, 2018, 11:55:55 AM
What do you see as being within the abilities of mysticism/magic? I'm heavily tempted to put together a Chinese mystic chi adept of some kind, but being able to perform real-life wuxia stunts would shape a very different character than a peak-of-humanity fighter.

I would touch bases with Hairy Heretic as he has a very similar wuxia type character.  It wouldn’t make sense to have a carbon copy.  Take a look at his character sheet and see if what you have in mind is not the same as his.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Crash on January 25, 2018, 11:59:48 AM
I would touch bases with Hairy Heretic as he has a very similar wuxia type character.  It wouldn’t make sense to have a carbon copy.  Take a look at his character sheet and see if what you have in mind is not the same as his.

Hm, if someone else went that route I'll forget all about it. I wasn't sure who in the original cast was still playing, since you seemed to be trying to reboot/relaunch it.

Crash

Praxis -  that might be a little too military like for what we have been doing with the SFPD.  I would PM Karma and talk to dial it in more with what we already have.

Glyph - Take a look at the big board.  I have updated current characters and inactives.

Praxis

Quote from: Crash on January 25, 2018, 12:02:24 PM
Praxis -  that might be a little too military like for what we have been doing with the SFPD.  I would PM Karma and talk to dial it in more with what we already have.

Sure thing man.  Thank you!

TheGlyphstone

My second idea was a Haitian houngan, who can invoke/channel different Loa to receive appropriate supernatural gifts depending on who is currently riding him - the gift of tongues from Legba, or a healing touch from Samedi, etc.. Is that sufficiently differentiated from FoxyOni's character, who is also voudoun-associated but doesn't appear to be an active practitioner of the art? More importantly, is that within the limits you want for mysticism or is it too far into the wizards-throwing-fireballs end of the pool?

Crash

I would send a PM to Foxy just to make sure or even better to collaborate.  I would say maybe faster healing more than insta healing.  Tongues is fine.  Curses are fine, being mounted by Loa are fine.