Science-Fantasy McGuffin Hunt - Actively recruiting

Started by Chrystal, July 29, 2016, 10:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrystal

The Stones Of Pollux

Wondering if this might be the sort of idea that would attract people:

A Science Fantasy McGuffin Hunt, a small group of travellers on a quest to save Planet Earth from destruction...!

First of all, let me explain what I mean by Science Fantasy, just because it is a fairly loose term. Science Fiction is basically fiction usually set in the future. The term derives from the fact that the science in the story is fictional, for example the Warp Drive in Star Trek, laser guns, self aware computers, microchips in the head, etc... Fantasy, on the other hand, is most commonly set in the past (although it need not be) and usually involves mythical creatures, magic, etc... Classic examples are The Lord Of The Rings, The Golden Compass, and Harry Potter - an example of present day fantasy.

Science Fantasy blends the two. In stead of the science being fictional, it is fantastic (in the literal meaning of the word). So for example, you might have stone artefacts that, because they are engraved with certain symbols, function as communication devices. The usual Science Fantasy route is to have ancient alien civilisations leaving stuff lying around (careless of them) which looks incredibly primitive, but in fact is far more advanced technologically than the humans who come along and pick it up... Probably the best example of this I have ever seen is the movie Star Gate, and the Star Gate SG1 series.

In case anyone doesn't know, a "McGuffin Hunt" is a term used in roleplaying to describe a certain type of story where a group of adventurers go off in search of an artefact, usually referred to as "the McGuffin", usually with the intention of bringing it back in order to save the day, and thus receive massive rewards, half the princess on a silver platter and the dragon's hand in marriage or some such.

So, here's the plot:

It is the year 2075. A manned probe from earth has just completed a ten year journey to the Alpha Centauri system. When they arrive the crew find a single planet, devoid of all life, orbiting Proxima Centauri. But they are astonished to discover that the world clearly was not always in this barren state. There are several cities, mostly ruins, there are fossils, mostly of plants, and there is technology!

The technology resembles the sort of thing generally found in Aztec, Mayan and and Babylonian temples. It looks like it is made of solid stone, but there is a power source in most of the objects the explorers find, that still works after all these millenia....

Obviously this is the greatest find in all history. Undeniable proof of the existence of aliens with a technology so far in advance of our own that, to paraphrase Arthur C. Clarke, it appears almost magical. A second expedition is hurredly organised and sent out from Earth, while the original team grab whatever they can carry and bring it back...

By reverse-engineering some of the simpler artefacts, Human scientists have been able to isolate the power source and solve Earth's energy crisis for good. Now with an unlimited source of safe and seemingly inexhaustible power, humanity has once again set their collective sights on the stars. The slower-than-light expeditions to nearer stars have been called off, and instead, Earth's top scientists from around the globe have collaborated in creating something that they knew must be possible, from the simple fact that it was obviously used by the Centaurii, the ancient people who had built in, lived in and then abandoned the city on Proxima Centauri I. A faster-than-light drive.

And they have succeeded. Now human probes head out from Earth to explore the nearer stars...

And one of them disturbs something. An ancient menace that had been dormant so long it had forgotten it's own existence. For the city on Proxima Centauri was not abandoned without cause, it was abandoned because it was indefensible as a military outpost. The Centaurii (for want of a better name) had come to the AC system and settle there, and had explored the next nearest system, finding the beginnings of intelligent life beginning to evolve. But then had come their enemy, as yet unnamed. The Centarii had been driven away from this part of the Galaxy, possibly even wiped out. Humanity has no way of knowing.

What they do know is that the enemy was some-how contained, kept from finding Planet Earth, and were directed elsewhere. Earth was left in (relative) peace, not counting the destruction wreaked out by it's own dominant species, for thousands of years. Until now...

Somebody tripped something, activated something, turned something off, sent an accidental signal...

And the enemy has just arrived out of Hyperspace...

The destruction of several of Earth's outposts in nearby star systems was the first and only warning humanity got. It took the enemy a bare few days to determine where these new space-faring creatures had come from. And even less time to realise that their ancestors had been tricked. The full might of the Enemy's ships turned towards Earth. Humanity had very little warning of the assault and millions died. But human beings are a tough species and fought back. Our technology was cruder, but our weapons were just as deadly, and soon a stand-off developed. The Enemy were intent upon the destruction of Humanity, but seemed to want to take the world for themselves where we were determined to fight to the last and take the planet with us if that's what it took...

But now, word has filtered down of a new enemy fleet beginning to arrive. We still have spies hidden in some nearby systems and reports have been sent of enemy scout ships coming in from the direction of the original enemy fleet. At the same time word has come from the other direction that the Centaurii may still be around somewhere in the galaxy, and that they may be able to help. An inscription on another abandonned centauri world seems to read "When The Enemy Comes, Seek The Stones Of Pollux" The last word was placed into the translation because it seemed to fit, as the glyph apparently indicated a star in the position of Beta Geminorum in the local night sky.

Having nothing to loose, a small expedition (all that can be spared) is despatched from beleaguered Earth to the star in question...

Get the picture?

So the characters will all be members of the expedition.

What I'm looking for:

• Expedition Leader - I might take this role myself, or I might not. Depends. This character will be a military person with orders to succeed or not bother coming back! Taken by Chrystal - GM's character
  • Alien Linguist - Scientist character who has enough guts to speak his/her mind and overrule the military when necessary. This character is an expert on the "Centaurii", loathes that name for them, because they clearly originated elsewhere. Taken by BeckyAnnn, character approved
  • Alien Technologist - A more geeky scientist character, this is the guy or gal who is there to determine if anything they find might be useful, if it is dangerous, and, if the latter, can it be made dangerous to the enemy! Taken by Xerial, character approved
  • Medic - Fairly obviously, this character will be looking after the health of the others. Could be military or civilian. Taken by jeflint, character approved
  • Ship's Pilot - Yeah, fairly obvious, someone who can fly the scout ship they are on. Military. This role is kind-of vital...! Taken by eiselmann, character approved
  • Ship's Engineer - Military, the one who keeps the thing flying, repairs it when it's damaged, bitches at the pilot for rough landings and take-offs etc. Taken by Dashenka, character approved
  • Ships Gunner - Military, the lowest ranking member of the bridge crew, but can still be an officer, this person is responsible for targetting the ship's weapons and firing them when ordered.
  • Guard Sergeant - Obviously military, this is the person in charge of making sure the others (listed above) stay safe and make it home alive. Taken by Kythia, character approved
  • Guard Scout/Sniper - Military, rank of corporal, 2IC of the marine squad, this character is the one who goes in first, checks for traps, provides overwatch to the team, and covers the withdrawal. Taken by Skre, character approved
  • Guards. To use a popular euphemism from Star Trek, these are the "Red Shirts". They will be playable characters, and if played, will not be killed off unless the player has a fetish for being killed. There will be a number of NPC guards who may well die horribly!
If anyone can think of any other roles - I'm assuming there will be someone who can cook... then please suggest them.

The role of pilot.

This is such a vital role for the game, that I am actually going to say that as many players as want can have a secondary skill of "Scout Ship Pilot". That way if the player playing the pilot drops out, we still have someone (hopefully) who can get us off the rock we are on... Alternatively, I might play the role myself, or restrict it to being a non-player character.

Adding New Players.

If the expedition is on the way already, we can always add new players who simply "Haven't been noticed yet", but a more amusing way would be to have the team encounter the occasional friendly alien...

Will the game end once the team reach Pollux?

*whistles Innocently...* Really rather depends on the players. If people want to keep going, I can keep them going. If everyone drops out during the first month of play, we aren't even going to get that far!

Smut?

Sure... Just try not to make it the be-all-and-end-all of the story. Remember there IS a plot!

Alien Smut?

Sure... If you want, and you can find a willing alien...!

Violence?

Oh yes! Especially if players drop out!

PvP?

No. We're supposed to be all on the same side!

The game will be Freeform.

I don't do system games, they are too complicated, and I don't like having my actions determined by the roll of a dice. So the game will be freeform and will go in Non-Con Exotic.

Post here if interested. I will do more work on this if I get people...

More detailed time-line

August 2065: Cheiron, the first manned expedition to the stars boosts out of the solar system heading for the Alpha Centauri system, four light years away. The journey will take ten years real time to complete.

June 2068 - February 2069: The Third Oil War. Saudi Arabia refuses to continue supplying crude oil to non-Muslim nations, claiming that dwindling supplies need to be conserved and that the Infidel Western Nations are oil-guzzlers. The USA responds with sanctions and a blockade against Saudi Arabia, which is largely ineffective due to the country's land borders with Iraq and Jordan. Saudi surface-to-air missiles shoot down an Israeli military aircraft that they claim is inside Saudi Airspace. Israel retaliated with airstrikes on Saudi military installations along the border. Russian troops brought in as peackeepers are attacked by Saudi militants. Russia sends more troops with orders to defend themselves if attacked. The US seizes ports along the Saudi coast, and key oilfields inland, to ensure a continuing supply.

March 2071: The European Union votes in favour, by approximately 1.5%, to become the United Federation Of European States. England/Wales, Norway, Switzerland, remain independent. Scotland and United Ireland become part of the European super-state.

December 2075: The Cheiron expedition arrives at Proxima Centauri. The discovery of Extra-terestrial artifacts.

June 2076: Cheiron departs Proxima Centauri to return to Earth.

August 2079: The first radio signals from Proxima arrive back at Earth. They have been transmitted on a broad band and are picked up by enthusiasts all over the globe. The news that Mankind is not alone in the universe shakes the world. The Pope commits suicide. There are mass riots and religious uprisings.

January 2080: A second expedition, using a great deal of energy, departs Earth. This time the journey will take only six years.

March 2086: Cheiron II arrives at Proxima and begins gathering abandoned alien technology

October 2086: Cheiron I arrives back at Earth. Scientists beging analysing the technology.

January 2088: Scientists on Earth discover the power source that has kept the alien artefacts powered for millennia. Reverse-engineering it gives the USA and her allies an inexhaustible supply of clean energy.

March 2088: Cheiron II, much upgraded by the scientists and technologists who were on the expedition, departs Proxima.

March 2088 - April 2088: The Forth (Last) oil war. US troops withdraw from Saudi Arabia. The Arab oil states, realising that their stranglehold on the world has just been broken, launch a desperate jihad against the west. The western powers, however, have a whole range of new and powerful weapons and the Jihad is defeated. The West offers to share the new technology with the Arab states on condition that they allow religious freedoms, civil rights, etc. Only a few Arab states refuse. These remain isolated and very soon crumble into civil war. The new, more progressive regimes accept the UN's conditions for re-admittance.

August 2089: The first Hyper-light probe arrives at Barnard's Star, less than two weeks after leaving earth. It returns to Earth two weeks later.

June 2090 - May 2095: Expeditions are sent to twenty five different star systems in the local area of the Galaxy. Several are discovered to have planets, and although none have life, two are capable of supporting human colonies and many show signs of having been visited in the past. Signs of warfare are noted. Along with artefacts belonging to the race dubbed "The Centaurii" are other artefacts that clearly belonged to the race commonly known as "The Enemy".

September 2091: A group of volunteers establish the first self-sustaining extra-solar colony on Tau-Ceti II.

May 2092: The Cheiron II expedition arrives triumphant back at Earth, to find that their work has been totally superseded. The scientists are sent out again on various other missions

March 2093: A scientist working on a device identified as part of a destroyed "Enemy" ship on Epsilon Indi A I, accidentally triggers something in the device. It explodes, killing everyone at the site, and a signal is detected by hyperlight communications arrays, broadcast from the location, for a split second. Although the signal is captured and recorded, it appears to be in code and no-one is able to decrypt it.

16th January 2095: Enemy vessels attack and destroy human bases in the Epsilon Indi and Ross 248 systems, with virtually no warning. One Human vessel escapes from Ross 248.

9th February 2095: (Times are approximate) 03:00 Zulu - Enemy scout ships arrive in the solar system. Earth is fore-warned and has managed to scrape together a "reception committee". Attempts at communication, however, are ignored. The few armed spacecraft defending Earth are attacked. The enemy scouts are all destroyed, but not without loss to the defenders.

10:00 Zulu - The main wave of enemy vessels arrives in the solar system. They easily defeat the few remaining defending space craft and launch bombing raids on cities and anything that looks to be a form of military instillation - Notably, the aliens attack many civilian airports, but leave naval bases untouched.

Aerial battles are fought in the skies over many parts of the world. Where the aliens are able to gain local air superiority - mostly in Africa, South America and parts of Asia, they send down landing craft.

20th February 2095 UN General Secretary Janiga Columbe calls for the world to unite under the leadership of the United Nations, and appoints US President Rafe Conner as Commander In Chief of All Earth Forces. The newly united military is renamed "EarthForce". To simplify the rank structure and chain of command across the united EarthForce, Connor assigns a member of his staff to create a unified structure similar to that used by NATO countries

5th March 2095: EarthForce  launches concerted attacks from land, sea and air on the Alien held areas of Argentina and Brasil. The attack is only partially successful. The aliens are driven from the planet, but not wiped out. EarthForce suffers severe losses.

20th April 2095: President Conner authorises the use of nuclear weapons against alien held targets in Northern Africa, where the aliens are threatening incursions into Southern Europe. The alien strongholds are destroyed. Alien forces elsewhere on the planet's surface withdraw into space, realising that if the humans are willing to use nuclear weapons to stop them they need greater numbers.

30th April 2095 - 6th June 2097: The War For Survival. The aliens control the solar system, and make frequent raids on Earth's surface, but no further concerted landings. EarthForce in turn make frequent forays into space, raiding the alien ships. Blockade runners make frequent if dangerous trips to the surviving extra-solar bases. Tau Ceti is kept as a major secret, the planet is teraformed and populated with fertile clones of almost every earth species (except a few of the nastier ones like mosquitos), in the hope that if Earth falls, the human race will continue and be able to win the planet back some day.

17th June 2095: The former USAF (now EarthForce Aerial Defence, North America) reveal the new prototype space craft they have been working on in secret. These are quickly put into mass production.

25th May 2097: A teamof Xenoarchaeologists working on a ruined "Centaurii" instalation on a planet in the Epsilon Eridani system discover an inscription that, when translated, seems to read "When The Enemy Comes, Seek The Stones Of Pollux".

6th June 2097: A starwatch volunteer left behind on a small moon in the Epsilon Indi system sends a message that more Enemy scout ships have arrived in system.

18th June 2097:An EarthForce Scout ship conducts a daring rescue mission of the Starwatcher, escaping into Hyperspace just before the main enemy fleet begin to arrive in the system.

4th July 2097: The Pollux Mission is launched.

If you wish to know more about the technology level, Click this link!

THREADS

Approved Characters - This is where I will post all the character sheets to keep them all together in one place, with a nice little index at the top. NPC characters will also find their way in here somehow...

OOC Thread - This will be the place to chat, to post stuff that is possibly irrelevant, but also, to discuss what is going on in the game, to ask the GM specific questions, to negotiate relationships between characters, etc... Note that I actively discourage "permanent pairing up" in my group games.

Technology Thread - This is going to be a special thread for recording the future-tech stuff that we invent to make the game work. Most of it I will do, but other players are welcome to offer suggestions for devices as well. There will be a "Device Sheet", similar to a character sheet, to fill in and submit to me for approval.  Note that I am not going to approve teleportation devices, mind control devices or ridiculous devices!

IC thread - This is where the game will play out. The game will start with everyone aboard the ship, which is in Low Earth Orbit, within the Planetary Shields (Something of a recent  development) awaiting clearance to depart. My opening post will have us begin to run the blockade.

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Chrystal

Rules Of Play

These are my standard OOC rules of play for group games. I put them in every group game I run, usually with minor variations to suit the specific setting. I like to think there is nothing draconian or unacceptable here, and I ask all players to read them. Submitting a character sheet to me implies that you have read and are in agreement with these rules, and the rules for character creation.

IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH SOMETHING HERE, PLEASE TELL ME!

All rules except two are negotiable!

Lodestone Guidance?

This is a GM-directed "McGuffin Hunt" game. What that means is that I as GM provide you the players with a setting and a scenario, and it's up to you to deal with it how you wish. I will be guiding the story as the group journey through space from world to world in search of "The Stones Of Pollux". There will be fights to be won, mysteries to be solved, infinitives to [boldly] be split and of course beautiful alien monsters to be ravished by... If you feel this is your sort of game, welcome in. If not, then fair enough.

RULES:

• The GM's word is law. This does not mean I'm not open to discussion, but if it comes to an impasse, if a decision needs to be made, or a discussion is getting out of bounds, I will render a decision that I expect to be abided by. I will do this based upon context.
  • Respect other players ons and more importantly, their offs! This is NOT negotiable. Ons and offs are there for a reason. If you feel someone has broken this rule, please PM them first to talk about it. If they will not change their post, then contact me via PM and I will deal with it. Please note that persistently ignoring another players O/Os is grounds for reporting to staff!
  • Try to post at least once a week. If you know you will be unable to post for a while please let us know in advance in the OOC. it is a good idea to create an Apologies/Absences (A/A) thread so everyone you are RPing with knows where you've gone. Players who fail to post for a considerable length of time will have their characters taken over by the GM and removed from play
  • If you know you are going to be away for a considerable time (more than a week) please bring any story-arcs you are involved in to a conclusion, or extract your character from them. If you inform me you will be away, I will not kill off your character!
  • If you find your character is sitting around doing nothing, post something to the OOC, or PM me. If you wait for someone to interact with you, you will wait a long time. Let me know and I will create an event for you.
  • If you have any questions about anything in the game, ASK! The only stupid questions are "how many beans make five" and ones that aren't asked!
  • The OOC-Chat thread will be for people to chat. I have no problems with you guys discussing the latest football results if you wish, (although I'd rather you didn't as I don't like football), because it means you are getting on as a group. Use that thread as you see fit, but please give priority to game related discussion.
  • Please tag all IC posts using the code that will be supplied, editing the details as appropriate. This will enable other players and myself to track where everyone is.
  • There is no rule 9.
  • Players who drop out of the game will have their character taken over by the GM and disposed of as I see fit. If this is unacceptable to you, don't drop out of the game.
  • Please try to post a minimum of 300 words per post. If you post short once in a while, that isn't going to be a problem, but doing so consistently will draw my attention and I will ask you to expand your posts. If the player you are responding to has not given you enough material to write a decent length post from, PM them and ask them to expand their post.
  • God-Moding is a big no-no, but a certain amount of "moving the story on" needs to be expected. If you feel you have been god-moded, talk it over by PM, and if you cannot reach a satisfactory solution, bring it to me.
  • Actions have consequences! If your post has been replied to, it has become canon. Please do not edit it without permission.
  • HAVE FUN! This too is non-negotiable. If you aren't having fun, I would like to know why, so I can change whatever it is that is stopping you having fun!

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Chrystal

Character Creation

Please Note: All character sheets are to be PMed to me (Chrystal) for approval BEFORE being posted here.

Submitting a character sheet to me implies that you have read and are in agreement with the rules of play above and the rules for character creation below.

All characters must be submitted on the character sheet supplied below. Please fill the sheet in "as is", and do not alter the formatting. If you have any difficulty with this, please ask.

All characters must be appropriate to the game, story and setting.

No over-powered characters, invulnerable characters, "Mary-Sue" or "Marty-Stu" characters.

No "mentally unstable" characters. Characters selected for the mission would have been screened to ensure they would not go berserk.

No Stow-aways. This is a military ship in time of war! The penalty for suspected sabotage is summary execution by exposure to hard vacuum, and all unauthorised persons are instantly suspected of being saboteurs.

All characters on the initial crew are to be "Base-line Human". That is, they are to have a minimum of 90% human DNA and no more than 10% cybernetics. If I think that a character crosses this line I will ask for some mods to be removed. Note that the 10% deviation applies to animal DNA and cybernetic implants in total. In other words 5% animal DNA and 5% implants is acceptable, but 6% of both is not! This restriction is imposed by the Mission Parameters in order to not give the wrong impression regarding the Human Race to the "Centauri", should the expedition encounter them.

Character Gender and sexuality is entirely up to the players. I would prefer people to play their own gender but I'm not going to disqualify a character on that basis. However, do be aware that, in my experience, cross-gender play in smaller games tends to reduce the chance of sexual interaction!

Characters submitted for inclusion at various "Recruitment points" in the story should, in fact, be aliens... Alien characters can be any species or "gender" the player's imagination can devise!

Characters submitted to the game become the property of the game. If the player drops out, the character may be disposed of in any manner the GM sees fit, including but not limited to: killing the character; abandoning the character; pretending the character was never there; taking over the character as a NPC; offering the character 'as is' to another player.

I reserve the right, as GM, to reject a character for any reason, or for no reason, however I will usually endeavour to say why I consider the character to be unacceptable and offer ways in which it can be brought in to line with the game parameters.

Characters that are clearly intended to be a disruptive influence may be reported to staff!

The character Sheet

[float=right][img height=300 padding=5]Paste image URL here[/img][/float]
[b]Name:[/b] character name

[b]Player ID:[/b] your Elliquiy login

[b]Position:[/b] their role in the crew
[b]Rank:[/b] if military, or "Civilian"

[b]Height:[/b] in cm (inches x 2.54)
[b]Weight:[/b] in kg (lb / 2.2)
[b]Hair Colour:[/b] if not obvious from pic
[b]Eye Colour:[/b] if not obvious from pic
[b]Build:[/b] if not obvious from pic

[b]Modifications:[/b] genetic and/or cybernetic up to 10% of the body
[b]Distinguishing marks:[/b] Other than mods

[b]Age:[/b] Minimum 18, maximum 45.
[b]Gender:[/b] Please try not to be too inventive!
[b]Sexuality:[/b] likewise...!

[b]Skills:[/b] What makes the character suitable for the role, at least three
[b]Weaknesses:[/b] Please list at least three things they are bad at, or that would make them [i]unsuitable[/i] for a specific role.

[b]Likes:[/b] At least three things they enjoy
[b]Dislikes:[/b] At least three things they do not enjoy

[b]Personality:[/b] What makes them tick, how do they relate to other people.

[b]History:[/b] How did they get where they are today? Why did they volunteer for the mission? Have they seen combat, and where?

[b]Other Info:[/b] Anything you think I've not included

[b]Face Claim:[/b] If known

[url=Paste link here][b]Link to player Ons / Offs page[/b][/url]

NOTES

Images: Character images may be photographs or art work. If you use a photograph, please try and use one that has a neutral back-ground and appropriate clothing. I do not accept separate face and body claim pictures. I do not accept Anime style art-work nor unrealistic art work. There is plenty of really good sci-fi art available without the need to resort to drawings that are absurdly proportioned, cartoon-like or look like they were drawn by a school-child!

Name: I may reject a character if you have used the name before in another game I know about. I like original characters rather than recycled ones, because it shows you have put some thought and effort into the game. Equally, please keep the name different from your login ID.

Player ID: Believe it or not, people have got this one wrong in the past!

Position: Please select from the list above, or suggest a new role that I haven't thought of. Just because someone has expressed an interest in a given role doesn't mean they will get it, by the way. If the character is unsuitable, the role will remain available.

Rank: If the character is a civilian, put Civilian. If they are military, then their military rank. US Navy and USMC ranks will be the standard, although characters may be from any country in the world. It is more-or less assumed that with the attack on Earth by the Enemy, the Earth's various military forces have united under the leadership of the USA. Please try to keep the ranks in line with the role. The expedition's leader will be a Lieutenant Commander. No one should have a higher rank than this.

Height: Be realistic, but allow for possible 10% modification. 183 cm is 6', so someone 201cm tall can have no other modifications!
Weight: Again, be realistic, but allow for extra weight if cybernetics are involved. Equally, some genetic mods might result in lower weight.

Hair Colour: if not obvious from the picture - i.e. if the image is monochrome or the character is wearing a hat.
Eye Colour: if not obvious from the picture - i.e. if the eyes are too small to discern the colour, the image is monochrome or the character is wearing glasses.
Build: if not obvious from the picture - i.e. if the image is a portrait rather than a full body picture or the character is wearing loose clothes.

For any of the above three, "As Picture" is an acceptable entry, provided the picture is clear.

Modifications: Characters do not have to have any mods, they can be 100% human. Base-line human is considered to be 90% or more, with non-inheritable genetic mods. These can include such things as feline DNA for improved reaction time or night vision, dolphin DNA for increased lung capacity, crocodile DNA for armoured skin (up to 10% of body surface only and excluding the face), Canine DNA for improved smell. Cybernetic mods can include implants for increased mental abilities, communications, enhanced vision, hearing, partial limb replacements (a leg is about 20%, an arm about 12%), implanted weapon systems.

Distinguishing marks: Scars, birthmarks, tattoos, piercings, anything that is not obvious from the image like a bald head if wearing a hat.

Age: Please try to keep age, rank and appearance consistent. I am no expert and this is science fiction, so there is no reason why a 30 year old can't look 18, or vice verca. Equally there is no reason why a new recruit to EarthForce shouldn't be near the upper age limit (ever read the original Heinlein book "Starship Trooper"? Rico makes sergeant at about the time his dad joins up!) but if you want a higher rank they need to be old enough to have reached that rank.

Gender: I am going to allow people to play whatever gender they like, as I have stated above. This includes transgender characters, because, this being sci-fi, I feel that such will be more common. However, if everyone creates a transgender character I'm likely to loose interest rather quickly. Just saying! I would prefer it if people could play their own gender.

Sexuality: You may play whatever gender and sexuality you feel comfortable with.

Skills: Three skills, or "qualifications", that make your character perfect for this role. So, the engineer might have the ability to read the Centauri language to a certain extent, so that she/he can deal with the alien tech. You may specify more than three skills, and can also add secondary skills.

Weaknesses: A character is defined far more clearly by their weaknesses than by their strengths. Weaknesses can be physical, mental or emotional, and no, you don't need to have one of each, although you can if you wish. The more weaknesses you list, the more likely I am to overlook possible flaws in the character elsewhere.

Likes: If everyone lists chocolate I am going to disallow it!
Dislikes: If anyone says "Brussel Sprouts", I am not accepting the character!

Personality: At least one paragraph about the same length as I have written for "Modifications", above. The more you put, the more likely I am to accept the character.

History: A lot of people have trouble writing the history. I have supplied a basic outline of the last 22 years. If you want some suggestions, please ask me. Note that anyone who was on the original mission to Proxima Centauri will be at least 45 years old (not 50, due to time dilation), possibly older, and thus disqualified from the mission on age grounds. At least two paragraphs of a decent size please. Again, the more you write the more likely I am to accept the character. Please remember to include what your character was doing on 9th February 2095, the day the Enemy attacked Earth, how they survived, and what their reaction was, also what they have been doing sinse and whether they have any experience fighting the aliens.

Other Info: I'm only human, I miss things. If you think I've forgotten anything important, say so here.

Face Claim: If you use a photo of a celebrity, please say who it is. If using art work and it is a known character, again, please say who.

Link to player Ons / Offs page - This is mandatory. I will not be responsible for someone doing something to your character and you saying "I don't like that!" if you don't have an o/o page. Equally I will not accept "I'm up for anything". Everyone has a limit, and if someone reaches yours and you haven't said what it is, then that is your own fault. Please link to either an O/O page or your preferences matrix.

Just as a side note, in case anyone is interested, the inspiration for this game came from sitting in a cubicle in the ladies room at work and staring at the tiled floor... The tiles are a sort of faux granite (hell, they might even be real granite but I doubt it) with a sort-of random pattern in them that looks in places like some sort of alien script that, if only I could stare at it long enough, I could begin to read and it would unlock the secrets of the universe!

And it awoke a desire in me to have a character do just that: read an alien script and unlock some amazing secret...

jeflint

I would certainly be interested in the medic. :)

What sorta "Sci-Fantasy" tech are we talking for humans? Bioware/genetic manipulation stuff yet?

Jan's General Info, The F-List , On’s & Offs, absenteeism & BB Color Codes

noodlebloom

Hazy Sky

Always interested in your games Chrystal if you'll have me. :)
Looking for and accepting new stories.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

eiselmann

Puts hand up ....love your games

Would be up for the role of Pilot
260916 Sigh, on the back end of my laptop dying last week and getting a new one delivered, we now have had some local flooding where I live....fortunately for me no major damage since my house is a few feet above ground, however my back yard looks like the swimming pool I don't have ...so might take a day or two to get back to posting

The Betrayal at Yalta, one of the main reasons the world is the mess it is today

My ons and offs link

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=254364.0

Chrystal

Quote from: jeflint on August 01, 2016, 07:23:48 PM
I would certainly be interested in the medic. :)

What sorta "Sci-Fantasy" tech are we talking for humans? Bioware/genetic manipulation stuff yet?

Hi Jeflint.

Uh.... Yes...? LOL.

The sort of thing I'm imagining is based very loosely on the alien technology seen in the TV series "Stargate SG1". So for example, you might have a set of oddly shaped stones, each with an alien glyph carved into the top of them, and if someone has a broken bone you might place two of them on the sight of the fracture, or if there is a burn, you place three of them around it... And provided you use the right stones in the right sequence, the injury heals. It looks like magic, it feels like magic, but we know it is simply a technology that the average human mind can't comprehend. The glyphs themselves channel the energy from the power source that is embedded in the stones, the shape and colour of the stones modify the energy, and the energy is what causes the injury to heal...

Human medicine has advanced too, so we now have advanced biotech and genetic manipulation at the sub-molecular level. Most diseases have been cured, for example and before the enemy attacked food was plentiful.

Dis you have anything specific in mind?

Quote from: noodlebloom on August 02, 2016, 02:42:34 PM
I'm up for playing the ship's engineer!

Cool. You realise that this role requires probably the most imagination? Because you are going to have to come up with all the various technobable related to the gyrazamagogle that spins inside the scrabatroblic disproxic field and creates the psuedentific waves that push the ship through Mu-space.... .... Er..... Or whatever...!

No, but seriously, the tech is the thing... Science-fantasy technology is like a cross between Star Trek and Lord Of The Rings. (Heh, given that the Stargates are rings, that's quite apt!) So, if you think you can handle that I'll be glad to have you aboard.

Quote from: skyre on August 11, 2016, 02:48:49 AM
Always interested in your games Chrystal if you'll have me. :)

Of course I will, my friend.

Quote from: eiselmann on August 11, 2016, 05:28:03 PM
Puts hand up ....love your games

Would be up for the role of Pilot

Cool, glad to have you too, Eise.

Ugh. This means I'm going to have to do a character sheet and rules and stuff....

YAY! I'll work on them over the weekend. Please keep eyes on the "reserved posts", thanks.

jeflint

Quote from: Chrystal on August 12, 2016, 04:20:03 PM
Hi Jeflint.

Uh.... Yes...? LOL.

The sort of thing I'm imagining is based very loosely on the alien technology seen in the TV series "Stargate SG1". So for example, you might have a set of oddly shaped stones, each with an alien glyph carved into the top of them, and if someone has a broken bone you might place two of them on the sight of the fracture, or if there is a burn, you place three of them around it... And provided you use the right stones in the right sequence, the injury heals. It looks like magic, it feels like magic, but we know it is simply a technology that the average human mind can't comprehend. The glyphs themselves channel the energy from the power source that is embedded in the stones, the shape and colour of the stones modify the energy, and the energy is what causes the injury to heal...

Human medicine has advanced too, so we now have advanced biotech and genetic manipulation at the sub-molecular level. Most diseases have been cured, for example and before the enemy attacked food was plentiful.

Dis you have anything specific in mind?

I actually did not watch Stargate series... my television watching is remedial at best. I was just thinking of Cloning technology, like my character had been cloned from another doctor to go on this mission sorta thing. That was all. :)

Chrystal

Quote from: jeflint on August 12, 2016, 06:54:28 PM
I actually did not watch Stargate series... my television watching is remedial at best. I was just thinking of Cloning technology, like my character had been cloned from another doctor to go on this mission sorta thing. That was all. :)

Yes, okay! I talked myself into it.... You don't need to see my thought process, just the outcome.

Cloning technology is available and is highly dangerous, because it can go drastically wrong. In fact it is the result of a failed attempt to make a transporter beam (Something which is NOT available). The military use cloning a lot and all the lowest level of "cannon fodder" are clones, because they are easy to replace!

In fact the ship probably has the ability to reproduce a limited number of "red-shirts" from a model held in stasis.

A clone must, within minutes of being created, be imprinted with a soul - a recording on biochip of the brain pattern of the person being cloned. The wrong "soul" will not take and in fact failure to take of the correct "soul" is high. Failure usually results in madness, death or both.

How does that sound?

jeflint

Quote from: Chrystal on August 12, 2016, 07:26:56 PM
Yes, okay! I talked myself into it.... You don't need to see my thought process, just the outcome.

Cloning technology is available and is highly dangerous, because it can go drastically wrong. In fact it is the result of a failed attempt to make a transporter beam (Something which is NOT available). The military use cloning a lot and all the lowest level of "cannon fodder" are clones, because they are easy to replace!

In fact the ship probably has the ability to reproduce a limited number of "red-shirts" from a model held in stasis.

A clone must, within minutes of being created, be imprinted with a soul - a recording on biochip of the brain pattern of the person being cloned. The wrong "soul" will not take and in fact failure to take of the correct "soul" is high. Failure usually results in madness, death or both.

How does that sound?

Sounds good to me. 😊

Would I double as the ships councilor, being a medic and all. 😜

Chrystal

Quote from: jeflint on August 12, 2016, 07:47:46 PM
Sounds good to me. 😊

Would I double as the ships councilor, being a medic and all. 😜

Oh GOD no! Not in the ST-NG manner, anyway!

Only in the 1980s could anyone have conceived of the possibility of a military vessel including a psychologist as a bridge officer! On a ship of the size we are talking about, the "councillor" is the Captain! She/He tells the crew what to do and if they aren't happy about it, tough!

Please do remember that we are discussing a military expedition here.

Obviously, the medic is responsible for the mental health of the crew as well as the physical heath, but more in a manner of prescribing sleeping pills or anti-depressants, and making sure the troops are kept sedated until needed, stuff like that.

jeflint

Quote from: Chrystal on August 13, 2016, 03:55:35 AM
Oh GOD no! Not in the ST-NG manner, anyway!

Only in the 1980s could anyone have conceived of the possibility of a military vessel including a psychologist as a bridge officer! On a ship of the size we are talking about, the "councillor" is the Captain! She/He tells the crew what to do and if they aren't happy about it, tough!

Please do remember that we are discussing a military expedition here.

Obviously, the medic is responsible for the mental health of the crew as well as the physical heath, but more in a manner of prescribing sleeping pills or anti-depressants, and making sure the troops are kept sedated until needed, stuff like that.

I didn't mean it in a Diana Troy way. But in real life NASA has attributed that mental health issues would be s serious concern for a trip to Mars or the like. 😊

And let's face it PTSD would be high for our soldiers. No one wants to be a red shirt in Star trek or a yellow shirt in TNG it's a high mortality rate. They all can't be Guy from galaxy quest. 😜

Kythia

I'd quite like Guard Captain, if that's cool.

Also, and this is obviously just a request/talking point, would it be possible to be the model for the red-shirt clones (or some of them at least).  Fluffwise: 1) The military have discovered it is useful to have the original present in the early days of a clones "life" as it aids with the implanting process, providing something of a role model and 2) On a mission like this there's always the chance of computer failure or whatever, having the original on hand means she can be scanned back in should problems emerge.

I just want to have a massive only-me orgy!

jeflint

Quote from: Kythia on August 13, 2016, 06:53:43 AM

Wouldn't that be the universes biggest masturbation sessions? 😜

Hazy Sky

Then I am in Chrystal. Need an Engineer or a scout/sniper?

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Chrystal

Quote from: jeflint on August 13, 2016, 05:09:14 AM
I didn't mean it in a Diana Troy way. But in real life NASA has attributed that mental health issues would be s serious concern for a trip to Mars or the like. 😊

And let's face it PTSD would be high for our soldiers. No one wants to be a red shirt in Star trek or a yellow shirt in TNG it's a high mortality rate. They all can't be Guy from galaxy quest. 😜

Heh, point taken. And yes, the medic would be responsible for the mental health of the crew... As for the "red-shirts", actually they are "Janga Fetts" - clones, programmed not to have fear, to obey orders without question and sacrifice themselves if needed, and the ship has the ability to create more!

Hah! Galaxy Quest FTW!

Quote from: Kythia on August 13, 2016, 06:53:43 AM
I'd quite like Guard Captain, if that's cool.

Also, and this is obviously just a request/talking point, would it be possible to be the model for the red-shirt clones (or some of them at least).  Fluffwise: 1) The military have discovered it is useful to have the original present in the early days of a clones "life" as it aids with the implanting process, providing something of a role model and 2) On a mission like this there's always the chance of computer failure or whatever, having the original on hand means she can be scanned back in should problems emerge.

Guard Sergeant....!

I would think that the clones would be reconstructed from much younger people than the sergeant in charge of a squad of marine clones on such a vital mission... However..... I actually like the idea! I think there would be one male model and one female model on the ship, and your character would have donated the DNA back when he/she was a recruit - that being a requirement at the time...

I actually prefer the idea that it is a purely random thing, rather than that there is any logical or medical reason for the choice - the profile of these two clone sets are best suited for the mission, as is the original sergeant.... If you can find a picture of your face claim at a slightly younger age, say late teens or early 20s, I will use that as the image for the clones, which will be NPCs.

Quote from: skyre on August 13, 2016, 08:33:09 AM
Then I am in Chrystal. Need an Engineer or a scout/sniper?

The list of character roles is in the first post.... Engineer has already had interest expressed, but as I said, that doesn't guarantee the role until I have approved a character sheet. Sniper...? Possibly...

Just to say, the rules and character sheet are up.

Also, anyone wishing to play a non-cloned marine may still do so - Corporals or PFCs.

Kythia

Quote from: jeflint on August 13, 2016, 07:00:48 AM
Wouldn't that be the universes biggest masturbation sessions? 😜

I think we'd have to invent a new word.  This masturbation session would be so large that "masturbation" wouldn't really do it justice.  Uberbation, possibly.  It'll be wanktacular.  An onanism extravaganza.

I have loads more of these, by the way.

Quote from: Chrystal on August 13, 2016, 08:41:27 AM
Guard Sergeant....!

Sure, currently.  But I'm officer material.  My mum says so. 

Quote from: Chrystal on August 13, 2016, 08:41:27 AM
I would think that the clones would be reconstructed from much younger people than the sergeant in charge of a squad of marine clones on such a vital mission... However..... I actually like the idea! I think there would be one male model and one female model on the ship, and your character would have donated the DNA back when he/she was a recruit - that being a requirement at the time...

I actually prefer the idea that it is a purely random thing, rather than that there is any logical or medical reason for the choice - the profile of these two clone sets are best suited for the mission, as is the original sergeant.... If you can find a picture of your face claim at a slightly younger age, say late teens or early 20s, I will use that as the image for the clones, which will be NPCs.

That works for me.  I'm relatively certain I'll be able to.

What's nationality like, btw?  Is this an international, UN-style, operation?  Or a national government?
EDIT: NM, spotted it in your edit.

Kythia

Face claims:

Sgt Rahana Saddiq at her promotion ceremony, full dress uniform:

The genetic basis grown from samples taken when she first enrolled:

Not the same gal, but pretty close I reckon.  Work for you, Chrystal?

Xerial

If you're still looking for a technologist, perhaps one with a bit of a linguistics background, I have a bit of an idea running about in my head. I'm picturing a guy who has a serious case of early-adoption addiction, as in he just has to try something new when it comes up... got an alien slug thing that might be symbiotic? As soon as he runs a thorough analysis he'll be itching to try and shove that thing in his ear. New implants? Why yes please. First to have sex with an alien? Where's the party. That type of guy. Smart, but reckless. Definitely needs to be watched, but can get the job done like no other if someone keeps him on point.

Hazy Sky

Urgh. Sorry Chrystal. I shouldn't half read threads after I've been napping. Scout and marksman still feels like a good role to me though if that's OK please? I'm not sure the others immediately appeal to me, but I can make one of them work if you don't want that kind of a soldier along for the ride. You know me; your game,  your rules. :)

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

jeflint

Chrystal,

If we come up with a "character playlist" can we attach that under a spoiler? it's something I like to do for my characters. :)

Xerial, I can see you and my character are going to be having a lot of conversations about "health and safety" :P

Xerial

I can see my character citing medical studies he only read the synopsis of and calling back to the medical degree he does not actually have (because he "audited enough to get the idea") and then shoving a slug in his ear...  :P

Chrystal

Quote from: Kythia on August 13, 2016, 09:59:10 AM
Face claims:

Sgt Rahana Saddiq at her promotion ceremony, full dress uniform:

The genetic basis grown from samples taken when she first enrolled:

Not the same gal, but pretty close I reckon.  Work for you, Chrystal?

Closer enough. And I like. PM me a char sheet.

Quote from: Xerial on August 13, 2016, 11:19:42 AM
If you're still looking for a technologist, perhaps one with a bit of a linguistics background, I have a bit of an idea running about in my head. I'm picturing a guy who has a serious case of early-adoption addiction, as in he just has to try something new when it comes up... got an alien slug thing that might be symbiotic? As soon as he runs a thorough analysis he'll be itching to try and shove that thing in his ear. New implants? Why yes please. First to have sex with an alien? Where's the party. That type of guy. Smart, but reckless. Definitely needs to be watched, but can get the job done like no other if someone keeps him on point.

Yes, the technologist is still open. So far no alien slugs to shove in his ear, but I LOVE the concept. Send me over a char sheet and I'll give it due consideration!

Quote from: skyre on August 13, 2016, 11:29:07 AM
Urgh. Sorry Chrystal. I shouldn't half read threads after I've been napping. Scout and marksman still feels like a good role to me though if that's OK please? I'm not sure the others immediately appeal to me, but I can make one of them work if you don't want that kind of a soldier along for the ride. You know me; your game,  your rules. :)

Scout and marksman.... Actually this is a role that is necessary, now I come to think. You are the one that goes into the Alien Ruins first to check for boobies er, booby-traps. You are the one who provides overwatch to the rest of the team as they investigate  the ruins.

Please make the character a Corporal. Normally I wouldn't make that request but in this instance I think it is the only rank that works.

Quote from: jeflint on August 13, 2016, 11:36:45 AM
Chrystal,

If we come up with a "character playlist" can we attach that under a spoiler? it's something I like to do for my characters. :)

A what? I have no idea what you mean.

Hazy Sky

We are thinking along exactly the same lines here in terms of a role. I will begin refining my initial thoughts into a workable character on the character sheet.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB