Can't access site

Started by Lord of Shadows, June 20, 2013, 03:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remy

Just timing out with much the same message as when the sites down. He's travelling but will be home in a couple of days, but thought it odd he could get to W.E.T and not here. Thank you for the reply :-)

Oniya

Is he on a laptop or a mobile phone as he travels?  There might be some additional troubleshooting I could have you pass on if he's on a laptop, but I don't know if a phone would have the programs.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Remy

Quote from: Oniya on June 28, 2013, 10:42:48 AM
Is he on a laptop or a mobile phone as he travels?  There might be some additional troubleshooting I could have you pass on if he's on a laptop, but I don't know if a phone would have the programs.

Laptop. I've just had an email from him and he's still unable to reach here despite being online via a different server. Still able to reach W.E.T.  But he'll be back to his own provider after the weekend so isn't too concerned beyond being puzzled.  Thanks again for the concern.

Oniya

Okay.  If he's still interested in finding out, or if he has trouble after getting home, there's a tracert command that Caeli gave Lord of Shadows up-thread.  The output from that command could help determine where the hang-up is.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Remy

Thank you Oniya, I'll let him know as soon as I talk with him over the weekend and we'll go from there if he still has trouble.  Sorry if I might have sounded brief or short in other posts, I was on my phone and texting is something I abhor.  But my thanks for your input and hopefully the issue will  be sorted once he's back on his own system.  ( my pc lingo sucks, so bare with me) 
Cheers. :-)

Oniya

I fully understand.  My phone doesn't have a 'real' keyboard, so I text as little as possible.  ;D

Lord of Shadows

I tested the syster sites and those worked without any problem so I really think my ISP has done something which they are not telling since it would be against the law.

Problem would to prove that they have done something because they will blame my hardware.

Geraint

Quote from: Oniya on June 28, 2013, 01:38:43 PM
Okay.  If he's still interested in finding out, or if he has trouble after getting home, there's a tracert command that Caeli gave Lord of Shadows up-thread.  The output from that command could help determine where the hang-up is.

It was I who was having the trouble, and I just thought it very peculiar that Elliquiy and WE&T went out at the same time for me (and apparently everyone else), but when WE&T came back up for me, Elliquiy simply kept timing out on my laptop every time I tired.  That suggested to me an IP change (which I assumed was going to happen around that time), and a slow DNS propagation that didn't reach the provider I had. 

I didn't try a lot (but at least a few times a day), as I was on a satellite system (which meant it was already slow) and it was costing me 50 cents a minute.  The problem never resolved on the satellite system, but I got Elliquiy back when I got to the airport, and I have it at home.  So I guess I'll just attribute it to a random strangeness. 

It didn't affect me enormously because I was getting post and PM notifications, and not many people were really expecting me to respond while on vacation.  But I couldn't answer  any PMs, and ended up posting like 6 or 7 stored responses from the airport.

In any case all is working now.

But given that it's July 1, are we to expect outages now or soon from moving the site?  Any idea when?

Thanks to those who offered help.

Geraint

Lord of Shadows

Not sure if you did anything but now my problems are fixed.