Terra Nova: A SciFi Sandbox Game [Seeking more Ladies] (guys are good too)

Started by Pockets, October 09, 2017, 03:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pockets

The Earth was rocked by a series of events that most considered World War III. It started with the launch of ICBM's from North Korea, Iran, China, The United States and Russia. In the end, over 80% of the human population lay dead or was dying, the atmosphere was now clouded with radioactive particles and the world was showing the onset of the next Ice Age. To save humanity, several corporations pooled resources, they gathered 1000 people, 500 of each sex male and female. They were selected based on a series of tests to determine many things. The criteria they looked for were:

1) being between the ages of 16 and 30 years old, (GM Characters will be exempt from this rule)
2) being disease (anything without a cure), disorder, and mutation free
3) not having a violent history or prone to violence
4) being fertile and wanting to have a family of their own in time
5) being capable of being trained via Cyberjack during Cryogenic Stasis
6) understand that this is a one way trip and that they will be leaving everything and everyone they know behind
7) move forward with this program voluntarily.

Their destination would be Alpha Centauri, a planet that was deemed liveable for humans by the scientists. It would take 90 years to reach it with the current technology, so by the time these people arrived at their new destination, those on Earth would be no longer alive. For those who have been selected, travel would be in a cryogenic chamber, to preserve their age for arrival upon the surface of the planet. Those selected would be given jobs that they had to agree upon before being selected. The community was designed to be symbiotic and would require everyone to do their part in order for them to thrive and survive.

You awaken inside your Cyrogenic Stasis Tube with a full understanding of the trade selected for you based off of an intense battery of questions and testing. It will be another couple of days yet before the Arkship Andromeda makes it’s landing and the process of claiming Alpha Centauri for humanity will begin. The work will be long.

The system takes you to your room and you are placed in your bed and allowed to sleep off the aftereffects of Cyrogenic Stasis. When you awaken your ID bracelet chirps to inform you that you have a message.

Activating it, a holograph of a woman appears in the middle of the room and says, “Greetings, I am the ships AI, Cortana. I am to inform you that at eight o’clock in the central assembly hall the Captain and First Officer will address everyone and hopefully sort out any questions that you might have.”

This game is about new beginnings. A chance to avoid making the same mistakes that humanity has already made and cost them their birth world. If this interests you please let us know. If we can generate enough interest we’ll get the game going.

The game will have elements of conspiracy, there will be bad guys, aliens, mind control (we will discuss this with any players we wish to involve in this before doing so. So if Mind Control isn't your cup of tea, don't worry.), and then of course, whatever mischief you, the players can contrive.

This will be placed into the Extreme Small Groups (Until we can hopefully earn Big Game Status) to cover every eventuality.

RULES
Simple rules and things of note regarding the game.

1)  Respect! Treat everyone with the same respect that you yourself would like to be treated. Blatant disrespect will not be tolerated.
2) No Drama! This is a game and we want everyone to have fun. But for the love of Tinkerbell's Pixie Dust, keep the drama in game where it belongs. If you have a problem with another player address it. Don't run off and tell everyone that there is a problem without trying to resolve it. Which brings me to...
3) If you have a problem with another player in the game, I ask that you try to resolve it behind the scenes via PM. Please include the GM’s in this so that we’re kept abreast of the problem and what kind of progress is/isn’t made. If you are unable to resolve your differences peaceably between the two of you, then feel free to bring it to the GM’s. It’s expected that you are an adult capable of resolving your own differences. However, if the GM’s hand down a verdict its final.
Please note that this is not us indicating we don’t care if there is an issue, we just ask that you try to resolve it on your own before involving the GM’s.
4) This game is only for binary characters. Male and female only. Sorry to those that like anything else but this isn’t that kind of game.
5) The Technology level in the game will be about circa 1820 with a few exceptions. As such, please do a little research on the profession that you give your character prior to play.
6) You need to be fine with people playing opposite their gender. Lords playing female characters, Ladies playing male characters, etc.
7) No Godmodding allowed. The exception to this is the GM’s if we need to move the game and story along. However, we will try to make any modding of your character as subtle as possible.
8) No Metagaming. If someone plans something in the OOC thread, please don’t go out of your way to interfere/ruin/affect those plans. It’s rude and inconsiderate.
9) Omnibus Rule: The GM’s can add or alter the rules as needed to the game.
10) Agreement Clause: By joining the game you acknowledge that you had read and agreed to the rules

Other Links
If you are in need of help trying to figure out what kind of profession you might be tasked with or are interested, look here. Thanks to Vellys for supplying the link.

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Height:[/b]
[b]Weight:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Face claim: [/b]
[b]Job within community:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]History:[/b](before their arrival at the community, tell us who they were.)
[b]Sexual likes:[/b]
[b]Sexual dislikes:[/b]

Face Claims

Pockets - Joe Manganiello - Kyle Patrickson, Captain/Mayor
Pockets - Jensen Ackles
Fireflights - Jessica Chastain
Fireflights - Sonal Chauhan - Dr. Sonja Patrickson, Chief Medical Officer
JaredSyn - Jesse Pavelka - Jared Syn
Nymphadora - Rachel Hurd-Wood
CarnageIncarnate - Margot Robbie - Dr. Lillian Page
CarnageIncarnate - Alexandra Daddario - Chloe Allen

Edits Made

10/10 - 11:07am EST - Editted the rules by adding the No Drama Rule and the Agreement Clause. Added more information about what to expect in game.
10/10 - 11:18am EST - Added exception to the age rule for GM characters.
10/10 - 12:10pm EST - Noted where this will be placed.
10/10 - 12:52pm EST - Added Approved Character Thread link
10/10 - 2:58pm EST - Changed thread from Interest Check to seeking players
10/11 - 12:44pm EST - Changed thread to indicate the need for males
10/15 - 09:30am  EST - Added Occupation Link
10/15 - 11:20 am EST - Removed the indication that we need more males
08/02 - New A/A Update

fireflights

If we can get this game off the ground, I will be assisting Pockets in the building and running of this game, we think it has a lot of potential :D

I have taken the oath of the Drake

Livin in MD now.

Not taking anymore one on ones but ones already discussed with the partners.

JaredSyn

I am definitely interested. Putting my hat in to be one of the crews Officers possibly security officer. I really hope this takes off it sounds great.

Orange Marmalade

Potentially interested!

Just saw the part about tech being ~1820s - Just for sake of characters and backgrounds, is that what they expected to have when they landed? What about the tech from the ship? And what causes the complete lack of electricity, etc?

Pockets

There is no infrastructure on the planet. They will literally be building from the ground up. The ship had just enough energy to get them there after the trip and will be a hulk about a week after they arrive. Any electrical would be for the Hospital and that would be through solar panelling.
08/02 - New A/A Update

fireflights

Basically, the knowledge of technology will still be in the people's minds, but the ability to have said technology won't be available for some time, so while they have the knowledge for it, they basically have to rebuild civilization, not just have it handed to them.

Livin in MD now.

Nymphadora

I will plant my interest flag on this and keep an eye on what comes. :)
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Rate:Weekly give or take
Availability:
Unavailable for new plottings, sorry.
O&Os Please review
♪As flawed as you may think you are, you're perfect to me!♪

fireflights

Yay Hi Nymph, we would definitely welcome you into the game :D

Livin in MD now.

Pockets

I'm reserving the face claims for Joe Manganiello and Jensen Ackles.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Nymphadora

Thanks for the welcome! :)

Are we posting CS's here for approval or do you want them PMed to you both?

As for potential jobs/roles for people, are there gender specific role rules to keep to? If tech is 1820's does that apply to what would be expected jobs for women and men, in other words?
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Availability:
O&Os Please review

fireflights

Livin in MD now.

Pockets

Quote from: Nymphadora on October 10, 2017, 08:56:18 AM

As for potential jobs/roles for people, are there gender specific role rules to keep to? If tech is 1820's does that apply to what would be expected jobs for women and men, in other words?

No, the tech is at that level but the social roles are not. If you want to play a role that would have been considered masculine in 1820 that's fine.
08/02 - New A/A Update

fireflights

Quote from: Nymphadora on October 10, 2017, 08:56:18 AM

Please PM your CS's to me and Pockets for approval, thank you.

Livin in MD now.

AmbrosiaPudding

I'm definitely interested in this. I'll work on a CS and send it along to you both.
Let me become your favorite partner ~

Solo Count 2/10
A/A's
Ons and Offs
Ideas
Brosie's Shop

Nymphadora

Please reserve Rachel Hurd-Wood as my faceclaim.
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Availability:
O&Os Please review

Pockets

Ok, I'm going to make an Edit in the description above. But this story will have more to it than just another slice of life survival of humanity to it. Fireflights and I are discussing and working on things to keep the game from getting boring. I won't go into details but conspiracies, mind control (we will talk with anyone we need too before using your character for this), bad guys (it wouldn't be interesting without bad guys right?), and then of course it couldn't be a Sci Fi game without aliens, right?

EDIT so as not to Double Post: Welcome Carnage. And I'll put something in the header for face claim reservations.

Edit 2: Added two rules that I missed during initial creation of the game. Hopefully nothing deal breaking for anyone.
08/02 - New A/A Update

AmbrosiaPudding

Let me become your favorite partner ~

Solo Count 2/10
A/A's
Ons and Offs
Ideas
Brosie's Shop

Pockets

Alright as we're getting characters we're putting them up in the Approved Character thread which I've linked in the initial post. Please check to see if you've been approved. If your character hasn't been posted, understand that we may be approved but we just haven't gotten it up yet. If you haven't heard back or it hasn't been posted feel free to contact us after a day or two.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Nymphadora

I am leaning towards a small handful of job ideas but having a hard time figuring out which I might prefer.

Is there any job/community role you feel you really want to have filled?
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Availability:
O&Os Please review

fireflights

Well we have many jobs still wide open. I would think that anything not taken by the approved characters, which I would be happy to link you the list, could be taken.

Livin in MD now.

Pockets

Don't forget that even if a profession is taken in a community of 1000 people, having more than one will only help not hinder.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Nymphadora

Thanks, firelights and Pockets.

It's a decision making issue more than anything. I had a couple I was leaning to over most and in the end, will go with my first thought for her, Seamstress (with spinning, weaving, knitting, crocheting and sewing knowledge).
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Availability:
O&Os Please review

fireflights

Livin in MD now.

Pockets

Hey guys, if you know anyone who might possibly be interested in this please send them a link and see if they might be interested. I'd really like to see some more folks to get this game started. We've got some outstanding folks already but the more the merrier. I know we have one player who can't jump onboard until she gets back next week, but other than that I hope we can all drum up more interest.
08/02 - New A/A Update

CuriousEyes

Quick question - what is the separation between these characters and WW3 on Earth? Would a character in his 20s remember a prewar planet?

Edit: Also re: the 1820s idea - is it something where the people are working to reestablish technology and until the skyscrapers and planes are built they live rustically? Or are they intentionally choosing to live this way going forward?