Buying a used car?

Started by Trieste, April 24, 2012, 08:07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ket

Quote from: Trieste on April 25, 2012, 09:49:38 AM
Oh, man. I so wish I could afford a smart car. I want one so bad.

No, really, you don't. 
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Haibane

Quote from: Trieste on April 25, 2012, 09:49:38 AM
Oh, man. I so wish I could afford a smart car. I want one so bad.
You're so gonna hate me then because I drive one. It has a soft top and in the summer with the roof off its so much fun!

Well its fun all the time but with the roof down is best.

They have an amazing luggage capacity too, hubby and I went away for a weeks holiday in it once and we packed everything in one huge suitcase which just fitted, standing on end in the luggage space.

Torch

A contestant on "The Price is Right" just won one of these in the Showcase Showdown:

Yes, it was yellow and I thought of you.  ;D
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Iniquitous

Trieste - one thing I learned the hard way when I bought my car a little over a month ago. Take the car to Advanced Auto Parts/Auto Zone and have them test the battery and alternator. It's a free test and will let you know if both are good.

I had no clue to do this (and dad, who was telling me what to look for on the phone forgot to mention it) and now I am trying to save up 500 dollars to have the alternator replaced.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Oniya

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on April 27, 2012, 07:30:25 AM
Trieste - one thing I learned the hard way when I bought my car a little over a month ago. Take the car to Advanced Auto Parts/Auto Zone and have them test the battery and alternator. It's a free test and will let you know if both are good.

I had no clue to do this (and dad, who was telling me what to look for on the phone forgot to mention it) and now I am trying to save up 500 dollars to have the alternator replaced.

You may be able to get your mechanic to do this as well (in conjunction with the once-over I suggested up-thread).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

makizushi

108k miles
60k miles on a rebuilt engine

I wouldn't buy it...

I know next to nothing about cars. But why at 48k miles was the engine rebuilt?! That sounds like this car is a lemon. And conveniently it's a yellow car.

LEMON!

Trieste

All of this information has been extremely useful. I went to check out the car today, and I took it for a drive and grilled (in a friendly manner) the current owner. Mr. Trieste took a look under the hood and said it looks decent. I've put in an application for a loan from the bank and I'm going to see about picking it up. :) Thanks so much for the info!

Kurzyk

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on April 27, 2012, 07:30:25 AM

Yea the Advanced auto parts in Louisiana was great, they test and even install new batteries for free. You just have to buy the new one.

Trieste it's good that you went to a bank for the loan. Some of those "cash now" type of places are shifty when it comes to the interest, and it often changes over time. I'm sure you guys were careful but keep an eye on that interest and read the fine print. :) I once did a refinance for someone who was told 22% from one of those cash places, but after two years was actually paying close to 40%.

Trieste

I bought my last car through J.D. Byrider, to be honest, and it sucked. I think over the course of my loan, i ended up paying them like $15 grand. The fact that I got a car and paid off the loan was good for my credit, but it was miserable. So this time, I decided to go through a private seller and just apply for the loan through my own bank. They have like a 4% APR and we don't have to borrow too much from them. Plus, I will put my tax return toward a deposit (which is a little less than a 25% deposit), and put the proceeds of the sale of my current car toward the loan. It seemed, ah, safer. :P

Once I have a deposit for the owner, I'm going to bring the car to my mechanic and have it checked out thoroughly. As far as I can tell, the owner was upfront about what we may like and what we'd have to fix. The sun roof is the only thing I really need to worry about at the moment, and as long as it's sealed closed, it's not something I have to rush on.

Kurzyk

Yes what you describe of your experience with J.D.Byrider is a great example. A lot of places like that are often more willing to offer loans when people need it than banks, but come with a much higher interest rate.

4% is awesome though, and by applying your tax return as well as the proceeds towards it, keeps the payments down. Safe and smart. Congrats. :)