The Sith Project playtest interest check (Blood and Honor variant)

Started by MadPanda, March 21, 2012, 12:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadPanda

Moving this out of my Group Games Wanted thread for various reasons...

Looking for a few brave and crazy souls to help playtest a variant of Blood and Honor, John Wick's game of samurai revenge.  It's a slimmed down version of Houses of the Blooded, and some assembly will be required.  If you're familiar with Houses, this will be a snap.   :-)

First of all, this will be a friendly game: no secret conferences, no passing notes to the GM, intrigue is discussed in the open.  The point of this game is to weave great and grand stories of tragedy, and that requires that all this stuff be openly discussed.  We may shift to a cut-throat game later, which would be more appropriately Sith-like, but for now it's all above-board.

Second of all, this is a work in progress.  The first supplement for B&H is scheduled to be released this summer, which means possibly by Thanksgiving.  It will contain information that would probably work even better for this than the original game...and if and when I get my greedy little mitts on it, things may be adjusted.  So!  Feedback is actively sought.

(The why and wherefore of this?  Is all probably Lanzlo's fault.  Our tabletop group was sitting around discussing the possibility of trying B&H one night, and somebody...I'm pretty sure it was Lanzlo, and he probably remembers it was me...said 'hey, you could do a Sith game with this!  Just file off the serial numbers and replace all the Japanese with Star Wars references...'.  Since the odds of our ever trying it in tabletop are slim, I thought I'd throw it open here.)

Provisionally, this game will be set in the time of the Old Republic.

Initial construction details will follow, since all PCs will start out as underlings to the same daimyo Sith Lord, and players get to determine things that will then be used during char-gen.
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

DarkRose15

Den of DarkRose: Ideas & Completed Games
Apologies & Absences *Updated 10/4/16*

Friends help you move; Real friends help you move the body.
Carl: Shh....do you hear that? That is the sound of forgiveness!
Paul: That's the sound of people drowning Carl!
Carl: That...is what forgiveness sounds like! Screaming then silence!

Lanzlo

Oh sure, blame it all on me, will ya? ;) But yeah, I'll hop in.

Now, for a suitable name for this. Blood of the Galaxy? Galaxy of Blood? (Trying to keep the original scheme, with the reference to Blood in there...)

MadPanda

Of course I blame you.  The other culprit who comes to mind isn't on E.   >:)

Galaxy of Blood?  Hmmm.

Anyway, now for the nuts and bolts stuff.

Step 1: Choose a Sith Lord
Your Sith Lord begins as a lesser example of Dark Side Buffness. As he grows in power and strength, his abilities will also grow. Right now, as you start the game, they are rank 1.

Pick one of the seven types below. Each has both an Advantage and a Disadvantage.  Also, the type of your Sith Lord greatly influences the character of your Clan. An Ambitious Lord is known for his ruthless expansion. A Clever Lord is known for being an outsider....and so on.

Ambitious
While each samurai has at least half his heart devoted to ambition, your Ambitious Lord has his entire heart set on it. He is willing to sacrifice everything and anything to gain more land, more title, more prestige.

The Ambitious Lord gains one additional Season Action per Season.  Their minions (that's the PCs) receive the “Ambitious” Tag, making them less trustworthy.

Clever
The Clever Lord makes use of new innovations and does not cling to tradition: all equipment provided to his samurai is considered good quality equipment.  The Disadvantage is that they are seen as a non-traditionalist: a high nail that must be hammered down. All minions have the Tag “Non-Traditionalist” which may be tagged in social situations.

Cruel
The Cruel Lord does not suffer fools. He is quick to anger and judge but he is feared throughout the lands… as are his minions.  The Advantage of having a Cruel Daimyo is that all of his minions gain 2 bonus dice for any intimidation risks.  The Disadvantage is that they have the “Cruel” Tag in social situations.

Cunning
The Cunning Lord has many spies and uses espionage to gain information on his rivals and friends.  The Advantage is a free espionage action every Season. The Disadvantage is that all his minions have the “Untrustworthy” Tag which may be tagged by other characters.

Dangerous
The Dangerous Lord takes risks and rewards samurai who do the same. He is unpredictable, lethal and deadly.  Their minions gain two bonus dice whenever taking a risk that may end the minion's life.  The Disadvantage is the Narrator removes four Force (rather than three) from the Force Pool whenever you decline such a risk.

Kind  (Yes, really!  Haven't you ever read Machiavelli?  The iron fist in the velvet glove...)
The Kind Lord treats his underlings fairly. He is known to have a generous heart and takes time when he must make important decisions.  Minions gain two bonus dice in any social situation involving trust.  They also gain the “Trusting” Tag.

Mad
The Mad Lord is just that: he’s completely insane. But he’s also so powerful that nobody can do anything about removing him from his throne.  Both the Advantage and Disadvantage of having a Mad Lord are random: the Narrator rolls a die and determines what kind of Lord he will be at the beginning of each Season.
Step 2: Designate Favored Virtue

Every Clan reveres one of six Virtues. Your Clan reveres one of these Virtues above all others. Which is it? Again, your choice here will define much of your Clan’s character. Choose one Virtue as your Clan’s favored Virtue.

Beauty
Beauty is the ability to communicate to others. It may be through poetry or rhetoric or drama or even gardening. Beauty is the most important Virtue because without it, you cannot communicate your ideas to others.

Courage
Courage is the ability to say “No.” The ability to say no to temptation, to fear, to pain, to anything. Courage is the most important Virtue because without it, your character will not be able to refuse any temptation.

Cunning
Cunning is the ability to see the plan within the plan within the plan. Cunning is the most important Virtue because without it, you will not be able to anticipate your enemy’s plans.

Prowess
Prowess is the ability to wield weapons. Prowess is the most important Virtue because without it, you cannot defend yourself against martial attacks.

Strength
Strength is all physical actions: lifting, pushing, pulling and even manual dexterity, speed and nimbleness. Strength is the most important Virtue because without it, you cannot swim, climb or jump in dangerous situations.

Wisdom
Wisdom is knowing what is true and false in the world. Wisdom is the most important Virtue because without it, you cannot determine facts from falsehoods.
Step 3: Holdings

Each Sith Lord owns a Territory. Within that Territory are Holdings that represent his wealth and Vassals who represent his loyal followers.Each player may pick one Holding to add to your Sith Lord’s lands.

Armory
The quality of your Clan’s weapons relies on the Armory.

Meditation Chamber
A place for Sith to gain insight and reflect on the deeper nature of their souls.

Dojo
Where your samurai hone their skills in warfare.

Gambling Den
Where your samurai lose their money.

Garrison
A Garrison allows you to hold Mooks (foot soldiers) in your Territory. Each rank of Garrion provides one rank of Mooks.

Geisha House (Have yet to decide on a proper Star Wars equivalent of this one...)
A place of art and beauty.

Resource Production Facility
Where the peasants toil to generate the real keystone of the economy.

Cantina
Liquid courage. Literally.

Sith Shrine
A place to commune with holocrons of the Dark Side.

Motor Pool
This is where you keep your vehicular assets.

Gravity Chamber
If you want to be stronger, spend a Season training in here.

Bigger Holdings
Some players may want to begin the game with a high ranking Holding. If they are all willing to use their Holding slots to increase the rank of a single Holding, I’m not entirely against that. It means their lands will be short of vital resources, but on the other hand, knowingly accepting a limitation is what makes games interesting.
Step 4: Choose Aspects

Each Clan gains four Aspects that define its character. An Aspect is like a skill, but a bit more broad. It’s more of a cliché—with game mechanics.

For example, your Clan has the Aspect, None of Us is as Great as All of Us, shown below.

None of Us is As Great as All of Us
Invoke: Your Clan is well known for working together. Gain three dice when helping another Clan member accomplish a goal both of you want.
Compel: You genuinely feel men must work together to accomplish their goals and will do so regardless of the risk to yourself.

This Aspect, as it says, gives your character three bonus dice whenever he takes a risk appropriate to the Aspect. On the other hand, it also has a compel that forces him to act in a way his Clan deems honorable. If, when presented with the opportunity to help another Clanmate, the Narrator adds an Honor Point to the pool. If you ignore the opportunity, you do not gain the Honor Point.

Every Clan has four Aspects that define it. Each Clan has one Aspect in common: the sample Aspect above. In other words, every Clan has the None of Us… Aspect. You may choose three more from the list below that further define the character of your Clan.

Go ahead and pick three more Aspects that define your Clan. When you make a samurai from this Clan, you choose two of those Aspects for your samurai.

A Merry Companion is as Good as a Horse
Invoke: Your Clan is known for the wit of its samurai. Gain three bonus dice when using humor in a delicate situation.
Compel: Sometimes, the fool forgets that he is only a fool. You forget your place from time to time and cause situations that would not have occurred if you kept your mouth shut.

All Married Women are Not Wives
Invoke: The women of your Clan are beautiful, cunning and deadly. The men are dashing, dangerous and sly. Gain three dice for any seduction risk (whether your character is male or female).
Compel: A charmer is always lured by charms. You often succumb to similar advances.

The Best Sword Stays in the Scabbard
Invoke: There is the life-giving sword and the death-giving sword. A swordsman reaches a point when the threat of violence is enough to maintain peace. Gain three dice when intimidating others with the threat of violence.
Compel: You truly believe in peace and harmony. You will only draw your weapon if another samurai draws his first.

The Deer Hunter Pays No Mind to the Hares
Invoke: This Aspect gives three bonus dice for risks involving hunting and surviving in the wilderness.
Compel: The samurai of your Clan are known for being very clever hunters but not well educated in the delicacies of the court.

Dig Two Graves
Invoke: When preparing for revenge, always dig two graves. Your Clan’s samurai are well-known for
being ruthless when it comes to matters of revenge. Gain three bonus dice whenever you are directly confronting an issue of revenge.
Compel: Unfortunately, your samurai are also rather hot-blooded and rush to judgment, seldom listening to reason when offended.

Even a Thief Must Learn His Trade
Invoke: Your Clan’s samurai are knowledgeable in crafts such as blacksmithing, weaving, etc. Gain three dice for risks involving craftsmanship.
Compel: Your Clan is also known for its fair treatment of the peasantry and merchant class. You show them compassion and good will.

First the Man Takes a Drink
Invoke: … then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man. Your Clan is well-known for its excessive samurai. Gain three dice on any risk when drunk.
Compel: A drunken man will say anything, do anything. Be careful. Drunkenness is not always forgiven…

Fog Cannot Be Dispelled by a Fan
Invoke: Your Clan is exceptionally good at deceiving others. Gain three dice whenever trying to lie.
Compel: Lying is just like any other source of power: incredibly addictive. You must lie when given the opportunity.

If My Dog Knew My Plans
Invoke: … he’d be dead, too. Your Clan is incredibly good at discovering and keeping secrets. Gain three dice for any risk obtaining or keeping secrets.
Compel: You love secrets and you tend to go out of your way to discover them.

If One Man Praises You
Invoke: … a thousand will repeat his praise. Your Clan’s samurai know exactly how to get attention. Gain three dice for any act in front of a crowd that will bring honor and glory to your Clan.
Compel: You are a glory hound. You can’t shut up about yourself and you must always be in the spotlight.

Laughter is the Fool’s Hiccup
Invoke: Your samurai are deadly serious. All. The. Time. Gain three bonus dice to resist any attempt to change your mind once you’ve made it up.
Compel: You are rude, brutish and don’t care about etiquette.

One Word Can Warm the Winter
Invoke: Your Clan is known for its eloquence. Gain three dice when making speeches or performing.
Compel: You tend to speak when not spoken to.

Ten Men, Ten Colors
Invoke: Your Clan understands the need for compassion. When you try to convince another you sympathize with their cause, gain 3 dice.
Compel: You truly believe in compassion and will sympathize with those in true need.

The Mountain Never Falls
Invoke: Gain three bonus dice when resisting physical pain or arduous circumstances.
Compel: You are rude, brutish and don’t care about etiquette.

Nail and Hammer
Invoke: “The nail that sticks up tallest is the first to be hammered down.” Your Clan knows the proper procedure and etiquette for everything. Gain three bonus dice for any risks involving manners.
Compel: You must do things the right way. Doing otherwise is disgraceful and dishonorable.

Waiting for Luck is Waiting for Death
Invoke: Your Clan’s samurai do not hesitate. Gain three bonus dice for any risk that is impetuous, impertinent and spontaneous.
Compel: You must act without thinking, jump into the situation without knowledge and otherwise throw yourself into danger.

Step Five: Meibutsu--skipped.  Sith don't do Arts and Crafts.

Step Six: Name and Heraldry

Choose a name for your Clan and your Clan’s heraldry. It’s important to pick a Name that means something. If your Clan Name’s meaning is appropriate to a risk, you gain two bonus dice for that risk.
Step 7: Truths

Finally, each player gets to say one thing true about the Faction. You can say whatever you like as long as it doesn’t contradict an already established truth. You could say that the Sith Lord’s wife is unfaithful or that the people of the province are well-known for their integrity. You could say that the weaponmaster at the training hall is blind, that the lovely companions-for-rent in the nearest city are generous with their favors or that a wandering mercenary avenges wrongdoings perpetrated on the peasants. You could say that ghostly spiders haunt a local forest or that a wise old man lives on a nearby mountain and gives out advice to the worthy. Say whatever you like about the Faction or its territory. It’s true.

In Memory of Bishrook

Lanzlo

DarkRose15

I'm not entirely sure which one to pick yet but I'm sure I will soon.

MadPanda

Just remember that you're all going to have to agree on the boss's general character.   :-)  Or be willing to compromise on other matters!  Now, if we can get a few more potential Sith on board...

In Memory of Bishrook

Flaming

If you are willing to accept someone who never played "Houses of the Blooded" in I'll gladly give it a try.

MadPanda

Absolutely!  Having played Houses is not a requirement for this game.  Experience with that game is simply a benefit.  So by all means, jump on in with your choice of daimyoSith Lord.

In Memory of Bishrook

DarkRose15

Red has been trying to get a hold of all the people for the other game we're in together but so far just you and I seem to still be going strong with it Mad.

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

DarkRose15

Actually it's You, I and Red that are still keeping it alive. He's frustrated that no one else is keeping tabs on the game.

MadPanda

Given the unfortunate (and probably unavoidable) lag in starting?  Same thing happened to my attempt to run it--my players just stopped posting, and with Houses if you lose momentum, that's pretty much it...

Now, back on topic!  Decided on a type of Sith Lord, yet?  We've one vote for Clever so far.

In Memory of Bishrook

DarkRose15

MadPanda

Two votes for the Clever Sith Lord!

I'll get the next phase set up in a bit, here: Mondays are busy IRL.

In Memory of Bishrook

Flaming

MadPanda

D'OH!  My bad.  One for Clever, one for Cunning.  For some silly reason, I got it stuck in my head that those two were the same thing.  This is what happens when I'm not looking at the list and the first cup of coffee hasn't hit my system yet!   :-[ ;D

So DarkRose gets to either deadlock us or set a majority, as she wishes.

In Memory of Bishrook

Montagne

Hey hey MP. I would vote for Ambitious (sorry about taking so long)

DarkRose15

MadPanda

Sooo...one vote each for Clever, Cunning, and Ambitious, and one that could be either Clever or Ambitious!  So it's up to DarkRose to decide which way she's gonna go.   >:)

Next up, deciding on the favored Virtue: Beauty, Courage, Cunning, Prowess, Strength, or Wisdom.

In Memory of Bishrook

DarkRose15

MadPanda

(kicks thread)  (frowns in concern)  Is this thing still live?

In Memory of Bishrook

Flaming

I was wandering what happend. I thought we were going for the step after the lord election

MadPanda

We are.  But!  That's all up to the players--Mister GM doesn't contribute a thing during Clan Construction.  If nobody posts, nothing happens!

In Memory of Bishrook

Lanzlo

Ah, was kinda waiting on Dark Rose to cast her vote.

But, for Clan Attribute, I vote for Prowess.

DarkRose15

Sorry if I am holding players up -_-

I guess I'll go clever.

MadPanda

Yes, you were: yours was the tie breaker we've been waiting for.

Now please choose your desired Clan Virtue and a Holding.  Might as well do steps two and three at the same time, so that we can get going...and I've an idea to compress the next step as well. To wit, you each choose ONE Clan Aspect instead of trying to agree on three of them.

In Memory of Bishrook

DarkRose15

If I'm causing problems I'll leave the game. The last thing I want to do is be an issue. I came to this game to have fun and I'm sorry if I've made anyone upset. I thought this was all casual fun and I would have thought and responded faster if I'd known it was an issue :(

MadPanda

(sigh)

No, you are not causing a problem.  It is simply that your last post indicated that you did not like breaking ties...but did not give your vote for the type of Sith Lord you wanted, so we've been waiting on you to move on.  Now that we've moved on...here you are.  :-)  And you're welcome to remain.  But!  I would like to get the clan finished so that you can get on with character generation so that we can begin.

In Memory of Bishrook

DarkRose15

I know, generally I don't (tie breaking is always difficult). What can I do to help finish the clan, I still don't fully understand the game.

*feels awkward and just sits quietly* -_-

MadPanda

You've broken the tie: Clever Sith Lord it is.

Now you choose one of the six Virtues to be favored by your particular branch of the Sith: Beauty, Courage, Cunning, Prowess, Stength, or Wisdom.  We have one vote for Prowess already.

Also, choose a Holding that your group has access to.

The details are waaaaay back there in one of my earliest posts, under a Spoiler Tag.  I'll PM them if necessary.

In Memory of Bishrook

DarkRose15

No, it's not necessary. Do you need me to create this character right  now or do I have some time to think about it?

DarkRose15

I think either Beauty or Cunning. Both would suit what I would want for my char. I did send you a message Mad but I hope you don't take it as a note. I just felt like I would rather talk to you alone for a bit because I like you and all the other players here but I feel like I'm becoming an annoyance and I don't want to hold things up again. Is there a specific time frame that you would like me to have things done by?

MadPanda

In reverse order:

We are not on a set schedule, but (to avoid being lost in the shuffle of this thing called life) I would like to start as soon as we can get through character generation.  That's your second question answered in a nutshell.

The first part of char-gen in Blood and Honor is creating the clan.  This will give you some of the information you will use to create your character, but we aren't quite there just yet, so describing it might muddy the waters a bit too much. For now, we're just building the clan...er, Sith Faction.

In Memory of Bishrook

Flaming

My vote is
Favored Virtue: Beauty
Holding: Sith Shrine

(not really sure what is the difference between shrine and meditation chamber though)

MadPanda

Prowess
Beauty/Cunning
Beauty

Hmmm.  DarkRose, I'm going to default your choice here to prevent a three-way deadlock.

So...Cunning Sith Lord, Faction favors Beauty.

Flaming, the difference is actually due to something in Blood and Honor that doesn't translate at all well.  Since the two have very different effects, I'm keeping them both around (just in case)!  In this case, a Sith Shrine is a ceremonial space, whereas a Meditation Chamber is private.  You could throw a party in the first, but not the second.  Also, the Meditation Chamber has a Sith Holocron in it.  :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

Flaming

I though something like that: I stay with the party chamber : )

Montagne

MadPanda

Ah.  You're alive!  Good to see you back.  I'll add those in.   ;D

In Memory of Bishrook

Lanzlo

For holdings, I'm going to vote for a Meditation Chamber (since a Dance Hall [Geisha Hall] has already been nominated.)

(Side note: You can call the Gambling Den a Sabacc Den. Yes, I'm a bit of a Star Wars nerd. :P )

MadPanda

With all this, I think we'll definitely need at least one Spiritual Advisor...

Why I didn't think of Sabbac myself, I do not know.  Kind of like having to be reminded about mynocks.  :P

In Memory of Bishrook

DarkRose15

Not sure what to vote for since my last vote was overridden  :-\

MadPanda

Choose a Holding.
Your vote was NOT overridden.  You gave me two options, one of which would not involve a three-way tie.

In Memory of Bishrook

DarkRose15

MadPanda

In the absence of smilies, it is very difficult to divine a jest from an accusation.  I'm not a mind-reader, ye ken.

Sith Lord: Cunning
Holdings: Sith Shrine, Meditation Chamber, Geisha House-2

Now for the fun one...choosing aspects!  You each get to choose one for the Clan rather than having you all choose three and then going with the most popular choices, because otherwise we'll be at this until Labor Day (at least!)

As usual, the Clan gets the All Of Us/One Of Us aspect for free.

In Memory of Bishrook

DarkRose15

yay geisha house

MadPanda

That is a conversation for a PM, please. This thread is for game construction.  :-)

Unfortunately, I'm having some trouble accessing the document so I can copypasta the Aspects stuff.  Hang on...

UPDATE: Sorry, gang, no dice.  I'll have to try later.  Bear with me, please--I'm on the in-laws' computer and the file is very much elsewhere.

In Memory of Bishrook

DarkRose15

MadPanda

Aspects list is up, finally.

I know what the copypasta says, but please just choose one apiece...and if we end up with four votes, I'll ditch the default aspect.  We have only one or two steps for the Clan left after this, so we can move onto char-gen proper soonish.

In Memory of Bishrook

Flaming

If One Man Praises You
… a thousand will repeat his praise

Montagne

Can I just make a quick check, You said pick 3 aspects for your clan. Do you mean 1 each, or all of us pick 3? I'm right in thinking we are all the same clan correct?

MadPanda

Oh, right...each of you picks one.  There will be three or four in total once we're done.

In Memory of Bishrook

Montagne

MadPanda

Normally you'd all choose three and then we'd have to see what the most popular choices were, or discuss matters for a while and see what folks would be willing to take, but that can take a while!

In Memory of Bishrook

Montagne

Yea, I wanna jump into the game with my sith lord ASAP. We had any interest from other players?

Montagne

Also, I think I'll have ten men, ten colours as my aspect.

MadPanda

Quote from: Red Doctor on April 10, 2012, 10:01:53 AM
Yea, I wanna jump into the game with my sith lord ASAP. We had any interest from other players?

Clan generation first, then char-gen...because the Aspects you're choosing?  Are the four from which you will choose two for your character later...we've got four people in here--you, lanzlo, Flaming, and DarkRose.  Which is enough to go.  :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

Montagne

No no, nothing for the aspects, just gauging the number of players ;D *plans triple murder trap* >:)

MadPanda

Of course you are.  >:)  But let's keep this thread on topic, please!

In Memory of Bishrook

Montagne

A question on the universe, as I'm not a major star wars buff beyond the movies and games etc. Would it be possible to play a Sith involved in the construction of the droid forces. When did the Sith begin to build their droid armies, and did the actual Sith play any role in their construction? If it doesn't fit the setting then its no matter, I have some other ideas buzzing around in my head.

MadPanda

In the rules as written, there are references to ashigaru.  For our purposes, these are the faceless minions on both sides--how you define them, when War comes, is up to you.  They could be the Sith troops from KOTOR, or a clone army, or droids, or Jawas with Force Pikes...and they'll die like flies due to the Faceless Minion rule.

You'll probably want a Barracks at some point as well.

In Memory of Bishrook

Montagne

Cool Cool, oh now I can't decide between two competing ideas. :P *retreats to his lair to think*

Lanzlo

OK, the aspect I'm going with is The Mountain Never Falls.

MadPanda

If One Man Praises You...
Ten Men, Ten Colors...
The Mountain Never Falls...

One player left, and then we skip right past Step Five, which is probably pointless for the Sith--who cares if you've got the best ceramics anywhere in Sith territory?  Establishing an equivalent of meibutsu is something we can do later, if needed. There's no mechanical effect involved, one way or another.

Step Six is determining the clan name and heraldry...because they can give you bonus dice for applicable risks, just like names.

Step Seven is the fun one: everybody gets to declare one truth about the Faction.

In Memory of Bishrook

DarkRose15

MadPanda

So noted!  (But, because I am a nice guy, you will all still get the default Aspect during char-gen.  Makes my life easier.

Sith Lord: Cunning
Holdings: Sith Shrine, Meditation Chamber, Geisha House-2
Aspects: If One Man Praises You..., Ten Men, Ten Colors..., The Mountain Never Falls..., All Married Women are not Wives.

On to Step Six!  and Seven.  What do you want to be called, you villainous rascals?

In Memory of Bishrook

Montagne

As an idea for the clan I'd like to put forward, perhaps they were known as one of the last clans to join the sith. That could have a number of connotations, they're upstarts. they're cautious. they wait and watch to see what way the tides are turning then commit full force. How does everyone feel with this idea being worked into the name/heraldry?

DarkRose15

Lanzlo

MadPanda

Okay, so after you settle on a name and a symbol (do the Sith form committees?) it's going to be time for Step Seven: name one truth.  It could be about the boss.  It could be about the world your faction is on.  It could be about the faction.  (My personal fave from the original game was something about goblin spiders in the woods...)

One thing apiece...but the usual improv rules of 'never say no' and 'never contradict what's already established' must hold.

With those four truths, noble or otherwise, I'll have enough to complete the form-fillable clan sheet that someone kindly provided on the forums.  And then I'll be a-posting the gory details in an actual char-gen thread so that we can get on with the character stuff!  Alas, more copypasta for me, with extra marinara.

In Memory of Bishrook

Montagne

for a name, how does Massar sound? keeping with the theme it can mean "With patience all will come."

Found this cool symbol, thought it looked like a shield below a man with folder arms, overseeing a battle, fitting I would say.

any objections?

Montagne

My fact:
"the air, thick and dark, if unfiltered, causes horrific mutations."

Flaming

I'm ok with symbol and name.
Thinking about a truth, takes some times for me to come up with such things

DarkRose15

Quote from: Red Doctor on April 19, 2012, 03:57:30 PM
My fact:
"the air, thick and dark, if unfiltered, causes horrific mutations."

I'm also alright with the symbol and the name too.

My fact is: All non-intelligent life suffers from mutations as a result of the planet's air and environment.

MadPanda

Let's get those last two Truths done, eh?

Getting a char-gen post up shortly.  Will update with link when done.

Update!

OOC is here.  ALL conversations go in OOC, please.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=138016.0

Char-gen and Cast Thread is here.  Please just post your characters here when you're done with them.  I may add a Rules summary at the bottom after we're all settled.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=138020.0

In Memory of Bishrook

Lanzlo

OK, here's my fact:

The mutagenic atmosphere is caused by a byproduct of deep, organic pits, which no one has survived exploring.

MadPanda

I'm detecting a trend, here.  So odds are I'll have to polish the Ork rules from Houses just so you can have some beasties to hunt.   >:)

In Memory of Bishrook

Montagne

Lol, I wasn't expecting it to go that way :P Do you think it would be worth doing a number of facts statements, one for the enviroment. One for the area the characters are living in an one describing the master. This could be done during character gen/during the start of IC. thoughts?

Flaming

Do I have to build on the previous truths or can I throw in the hat another concept?
If the latter.

Truth: unlike others, we do believe in gods

I hope that's appropriate

MadPanda

You don't need to follow the established pattern.

However...you are aware, I hope, that the Sith IS a spiritual tradition?  And that any sufficiently impressive Dark Side spirit would qualify as a 'god'.

In Memory of Bishrook

Flaming

I can see the spiritualism, but, in my opinion, it is different from a religion.
In the Star Wars universe the majority of people and cultures seems to be atheistic or agnostic.
I was trying to add an odd feature to set our Clan apart from the mainstream culture, letting us have cults and rites.
If that is not going to work I can change the truth. Just let me know.

MadPanda

Your assumptions are open to question, but this is not the place for such a discussion--my question ought have been clarified thusly:

Your proposed truth seems the equivalent of saying "given that we're playing drow, we're clever, sadistic, and prone to intrigue".  If what you mean is "we're considered clever, sadistic, and prone to intrigue by other drow..."  (ie other Drow thing we go to eleven), then there's no problem.  If not, you're simply repeating the obvious.

In Memory of Bishrook

Flaming

MadPanda

o_O   ;D  Ohhhhkay...not sure I follow you on that one, either, to be honest.

In Memory of Bishrook

Montagne

I thought the first was okay, just interpreted as "We have a system of cults and priests to worship the dark side, rather than simply worshiping it as people wish, as is the case in most of the Sith empire." was that what you were going for Flaming?

MadPanda

Right--nothing wrong with that: that's the 'we go to eleven' part.   :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

Flaming

Use the one you like the most or make up another. I don't want to hold back the game. I never played this rpg so I might be getting the wrong idea of what the truth should be look like. Treat me as the Noob of the party : )

MadPanda

We're all noobs, more or less.  RD and I both have Houses of the Blooded, and I was in a shortlived B&H game on another forum...but that's about it.  Oh, and Lanzlo is one of my tabletop group and indirectly responsible for this idea, but he's never played this either.

In Memory of Bishrook

Lanzlo

Quote from: MadPanda on April 23, 2012, 09:40:49 AM
We're all noobs, more or less.  RD and I both have Houses of the Blooded, and I was in a shortlived B&H game on another forum...but that's about it.  Oh, and Lanzlo is one of my tabletop group and indirectly responsible for this idea, but he's never played this either.

Oh sure, blame me. :P

Just remember, I know where you live, and I know the name of your cat. (Not that she'll have anything to do with me. She'll probably just claw the crap out of me. In fact, I may just leave her alone...)

MadPanda

Exactly--she knows the taste and scent of your blood, man.  Best leave that little hellion alone.   :-)

Game is officially launched, so I'm locking the thread.

In Memory of Bishrook