Roaring 20ies/Speakeasy/Gangster & Crime Stories [Open to all]

Started by Nico, April 29, 2015, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juggtacular

Quote from: wander on April 29, 2015, 05:17:38 PM
Well she's from the '40s and '50s, though Hayley Atwell is beautiful anyway.

She's from WW2 era, but her look could be interpreted as a business oriented woman from the 20's I think. Just a suggestion.

wander

Nico

Quote from: Blinkin on April 29, 2015, 05:09:14 PM
I'm not sure if it's time period appropriate, I think that it's the late 30's, but the blond in Indiana Jones and the Last Cruade coes to mind... Either that or a little more time appropriate 1927 Wiesz from The Mummy fame... Either could be a sexy speakeasy manager/bartender/squeeze.
Yes, both works. Don't worry about some years. We're not going to nitpick over such minor things. All we aim for is to keep it somewhat in that time period. Like...no Brittney Spears style or god knows who else.

Aiden

-rocks out appropriately themed avatar for this game-

Also calling dibs on Vincent Piazza

I could go for someone else, but I love boardwalk empire and it has some awesome fitting outfits so it is just easier!

MaverickKane

As a suggestion for those searching for images take a look at some actors and actresses from the 20's and 30's. Might inspire some ideas or give you an idea of what the style was back then, at least.

Twisted iN Tux

Def bookmarkin' this for the future - seeing that I don't have the luxury of extra time right now - but I love the setting, the theme, and, well, to be perfectly honest, Nicholas is an awesome GM!

wander

I grabbed Robert de Niro from his flashback of Vito Corleone from Godfather 2 as it matches the time and I couldn't think of a better fit for the age and look of my character. :)

I recommend watching Godfather Part 2 anyway, though de Niro's part in it may inspire some people.

Nico

Quote from: Aiden on April 29, 2015, 05:46:33 PM
-rocks out appropriately themed avatar for this game-

Also calling dibs on Vincent Piazza

I could go for someone else, but I love boardwalk empire and it has some awesome fitting outfits so it is just easier!
This! ~thumbs up~

Quote from: wander on April 29, 2015, 08:34:55 PM
I recommend watching Godfather Part 2 anyway, though de Niro's part in it may inspire some people.
The Godfather is always a good idea. :P

Juggtacular

Godfather Trilogy is one of those things you have to prepare to watch, but you're so glad you did.

I've binged Godfather Trilogy, all 6 Star Wars movies, all 8 Harry Potters, all six LotR/Hobbit. I might have a problem.

Nico

Quote from: Juggtacular on April 29, 2015, 11:29:30 PM
Godfather Trilogy is one of those things you have to prepare to watch, but you're so glad you did.

Hands down, those are still my all time favourite  movies. I watch a lot and I like a lot, but The Godfather? Oh yeah.

Juggtacular

Quote from: Nicholas on April 29, 2015, 11:33:46 PM
Hands down, those are still my all time favourite  movies. I watch a lot and I like a lot, but The Godfather? Oh yeah.

Hell yeah.

Silver

Is this going end up being a big group game or is the goal for it to remain small for the time being?
O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: Star - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix)
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

Nico

Quote from: Juggtacular on April 29, 2015, 11:40:22 PM

Hell yeah.
Yes..yes...YES!!

Quote from: Silver on April 29, 2015, 11:41:46 PM
Is this going end up being a big group game or is the goal for it to remain small for the time being?
Who's to say? The number of posts determines if it goes big.

Silver

Quote from: Nicholas on April 29, 2015, 11:42:12 PM
Who's to say? The number of posts determines if it goes big.

*nods* I'll keep an eye on this and see if my muse is up for a character sheet when the time comes.
O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: Star - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix)
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

Nico

Quote from: Silver on April 29, 2015, 11:43:37 PM
*nods* I'll keep an eye on this and see if my muse is up for a character sheet when the time comes.
Sounds good! :-) I'm certain that we're coming up with a character sheet template soon enough.

VioletPanda

-looks around cautiously-
     I'll dip my toe in...though I know very little about the mob... *iz intimidated by the scary looking guys in hats and suits*
Current Muse: Meh, not super driven right now

My A/A PageMy O/Os

Juggtacular

Quote from: LukaWolf on April 30, 2015, 02:36:36 AM
     I'll dip my toe in...though I know very little about the mob... *iz intimidated by the scary looking guys in hats and suits*

My character "Tiny" is a total sweetheart...until you threaten his income, or his people. Then you get...well

Caehlim

Wow, things are developing quickly. I've got an idea in mind for a man to launder some of the criminal money floating around in this scenario.

He's a supposedly legitimate businessman who runs an investment firm, however after hitting hard times and almost going broke he's continued running his company by turning it into a Ponzi Scheme. He helps keep the whole thing running by using it hide the illegal profits of criminal organizations, allowing them to claim that they made the money investing it in his company.

Now he's desperately trying to stay on top of a shaky set of finances and baked books, but on paper he looks like one of the wealthiest businessmen in the city. He's able to pay off his old investors with his new ones, giving them fantastic rewards and so everyone wants to invest in his company... for now. Secretly he's just planning for the right moment to run off to some nice foreign country with no extradition treaties, he just needs to make a little bit more money first.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

wander

So, is there anyone legitimate about or is it just my character then? ;)

VioletPanda

My A/A PageMy O/Os

la dame en noir

A 25 year old Jazz singer with a penchant for speaking with mob bosses, thugs, and other gang leaders. Good with information and great for spying. Now, if I could only find a good photo =.=
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

VioletPanda

I had no idea what to do, but I got it! A lawyer! I'm playing a criminal lawyer! YAAAAAY!

My A/A PageMy O/Os

SlipperySue

Not sure if Crash's image is that of Louise Brooks but if not I claim her for my character.  A dancer by the name of Roxy O'Rourke, less flattering known as Roxy the Doxy because of her occasional bouts of prostitution.  A gal's got a pay her bills.

Nico

Quote from: LukaWolf on April 30, 2015, 02:36:36 AM
Hi! ~waves~

Good thing is - you (and your character(s)) do not even need to know about the mob. Aside from rumours about the 'honourable society' little was known about those people, or their organizations. It was all hush-hush, hearsay, etc. Usually, if someone outside was unfortunate enough to know too much, they either didn't survive it, or they were pulled in and were neck deep fast. :P

So, yes, lack of knowledge in that department is no issue, not necessary and might even make for some killer plot openers. ;)

My character will have little knowledge about the whole mob thing. He'll know exactly what rumours say, what people talk about, but nothing solid, just as it should be. ;)

Quote from: Twisted iN Tux on April 29, 2015, 07:16:17 PM
Def bookmarkin' this for the future - seeing that I don't have the luxury of extra time right now - but I love the setting, the theme, and, well, to be perfectly honest, Nicholas is an awesome GM!
Well, thank you!  :-[

I'd say, there is absolutely no problem with joining later, considered the setting. New people show up, after all. We're probably going to keep recruting open.

Quote from: Caehlim on April 30, 2015, 02:54:41 AM
Wow, things are developing quickly. I've got an idea in mind for a man to launder some of the criminal money floating around in this scenario.
Couldn't resist, huh? ~smirk~

Psssh! There is no criminal money... ~shifty eyes~

On another note - the character sheet template should be ready sometimes today. We're just working out some details. And, there should be an OOC Thread pop up today, too. We figure that it's necessary, should anyone want to plot and whatnot. :P

Aaaand, I found this. ;D Good for info on clothes.