Mage Academy at Shadowfel [NC-H]

Started by Enmuro, July 30, 2009, 02:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enmuro

This plot is your typical mage school in a fantasy setting with a little twist thrown in - everyone is evil :) . I am open to new ideas for the plot or characters. That said, here's how the plot stands, hope it sounds like fun.

Mage Academy at Shadowfel
The Continent-Kingdom of Avialus splintered over a century ago. Now the once radiant civilizations it encompassed
have grown apart and distrustful of one another. War sweeps unchecked across the land and spares nether servant nor
master. In this twilight of man one nation state, Arkylia, has grown particularly twisted and ruthless. The
Arkylians are born and raised to act without mercy while spurning all question of morality and ethics. The most
feared of the Arkylian are mages, singular beings of power who use magic to fulfill their every whim. 

The Mages Sanctuary at Shadowfel is one of the most feared and respected mage towers in Avialus. The Sanctuary
itself is hidden in a mountain forest and not even most Arkylian know where it is. Masters at the Sanctuary perform
terrible experiments, acting under no restrictions or care for humanity. Plagues, armies of the undead and world
devouring nightmares are some of the lesser evils to have escaped from the Sanctuary walls. In Aryklia, such
activity is fully encouraged. One instructor who slept with her students to gain eternal youth, at the expense of
her students lives, was recently given a prestigious award by the State for her work.

The halls of the Sanctuary have been quiet this past year. A war in the North has begun to draw in more and more
nations and with them the Masters. With almost all senior Masters gone off to fight only the Sanctuaries small Mage
Academy continues to function.
----
This plot would open with the students of the Mage Academy presenting the results of experiments done on lower
ranking prisoners (temporary NPCS they can control). The students are being graded on ability to get prisoners to
divulge information or to otherwise make the prisoners of use in the war. Teachers will pick the most successful
students to lead up experiments being done on higher ranking prisoners. Students who aren't picked can join a team
as an assistant or switch to playing a Prisoner character if they want.

Players Wanted for:
-Magic Instructors
-Students
-Prisoners (optional, feel free to make one of these in addition to another character. these chars will be present
and used *ahem* regardless)

Character sheet

Name:
Physical Description:
Personality:
History: (including synapsis of their time at Academy)
Grade: [novice, appprentice, adept(ranks 4->1), master (multiple ranks) ] Teachers should be adept 3
(probably like a TA) and up, students rank 4 adept and below.
Age: [No one admited to sanctuary under age 19 without special permission]
Primary School of Magic*:
Secondary School of Magic*:
Bread and Butter Spell:(what one spell are they far and away best at)

Teachers Only
Subjects Taught:

Students Only
Favored Subjects:

*Teachers tend to be highly specialized in their primary school of magic so there are no limits on what kind of
magic you select. A teacher's secondary school is usually the elemental or enchantment school they specialized in as
students. Elemental subtypes or enchantment magic should be the primary schools for those playing students, with
their secondary being the magic they hope to specialize in (usually that of their favorite teachers).

Mage Academy at Shadowfel(OOC)
Mage Academy at Shadowfel(IC)
Mage Academy at Shadowfel(Character Thread)

the fox without

I'm about to go off to work, but I'll make a character in about 6 hours. plan on making him a air/fire mix, because using oxygn to make explosions are too much fun

Enmuro

Cool (fire ftw). I'm still up in the air about whether i want to make a teacher or a student. I'll decide based on what we end up lacking I suppose heh.

Silk

I'm also interested and will be making a character within the next 6 hours or so.

I'm looking more at necromancy or ice magic as specialties.

Vandren

How do you see the ranks working?  For example, lesser faculty are adept ranks 3, 2, and 1 while students are adept rank 4 or lower (higher) what's the lowest end?  Or the maximum end for master ranks?

Also, do you have any "schools of magic" (primary/secondary) in mind or are those being left up to players to define?
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Enmuro

I'm with you on ice silk, and necro sounds like a great combo. chill of the grave and all :) I will be making my TA character shortly.

Vandren, novice is the lowest rank, followed by apprentice. Then there are the four grades of adept. While there is no maximum rank on Master I'll go with the traditional 10 cap. So Master 1 is lowest ranking master. Master 10 would be a very senior mage who is too feable to do much more than teach (although they'd be amazing at it).

Primary school for students should be an element or enchantment school (eg: fire/charm). Their secondary can be anything you make up. That applies in reverse for teachers schools. I don't want to restrict peoples creativity on selecting or creating  schools of magic but am trying to make sure there are a few common base schools of magic in there somewhere (elemental/enchantment. though feel free to be creative even there. ). Hope that answers question

Enmuro

Name: Argus Evenrift
Physical Description:
Doesn't wear shoes or socks, cuts his hair himself (poorly).
Brown eyes and black hair. 5'8"
Grade: Adept 3
Primary School of Magic*: Contact Telepathy
Secondary School of Magic*: Ice
Bread and Butter Spell:
Psycho Icicle
Argus can rapidly freeze water in the body of anyone he is in skin to skin contact with. Massive internal injuries result with a single touch of his finger. The nature of this spell means he can prolong his opponents death for an excruciatingly long time. He uses his ability at close range telepathy to read pain signals from his opponents body and direct his attacks accordingly.

Subjects Taught:
Basic Ice Spells
Defense Against Enchantment
Seminar on Telepathy
Wilderness Survival

Personality: Argus is a sadist pure and simple. He enjoys causing pain, while having no control over anything in his life. His students describe him as demanding and unpredictable, assigning more work than can ever be completed in the time given. His is the chaotic evil presence that many Arkylian's aspire to. Oddly enough he believes in absolute equality in relationships with other which gives him an odd sense of humility that doesnt mesh with the rest of his personality.
History:
Argus' first memory is of the frozen Northlands, and the Master who killed him. He recalls looking up as a child to see the clouded skies open up and rain down frigid beams of light. A powerful spell, the light swallowed up his body and sealed him away in solid ice. Frozen in place he watched those travelling with him die one by one. Then his heart stopped, and he closed his eyes to accept the end. Although he was only four years old when this happened his latent magical abilities awakened as his body stood at the edge of death. Soon he couldn't feel the cold and his heart began to beat again. Argus stepped out of the crumbling ice around him to find he was alone. He would spend his entire youth fighting for survival in the North.

20 years later a much older Argus emerged out of the frozen wastelands. In the southern wilderness of Arkyl he was found by traveling mages who at first thought him a wild man and had their bodyguard try to subdue him. Argus slew one of the mages with the bodyguard's own sword before being knocked unconscious and brought back to the mage Sanctuary for further study.  After a time of acclimation to the school and civilization he enrolled as a student at teh Sanctuary. 

Argus has been a teaching assistant for the last year now. By all rights he should have graduated or become a master but his unusual choice of specialization and early self training has made progress slow.

Treena

Name: Amber
Physical Description:
Personality: She is firey at times and very cold hearted she hates anyone that trys to tell her what to do and will try to kill them if they do.
History: Amber grew up being home schooled since her parents were scared of what may happen if she went to a public school they both had attended the acadamy and didn't want anyone to find out about who and what they were and the public schools would not be able to teach her what they could. This is her first year at the acadamy.
Grade: Novice
Primary School of Magic*: Water
Secondary School of Magic*: Nature
Bread and Butter Spell: Hurricane Smash

Students Only
Favored Subjects: Telepathy

A/A     Ons/Offs     Cravings
Back and open to some rps.
Treena'sWiki

Enmuro

Awesome character Treena, I think amber would definitely be one of argus' favorite students :) . As soon as someone else makes a student character I will start the ic thread.

Treena

Treena'sWiki

Vandren

After some consideration, I think I'm out on this one.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Silk

Name: Ysena
Physical Description:
Personality: Often considered to be vulnerable but this is often just a ploy by Ysena to get people around her to let down their guard which makes her opponent easier to manipulate and weave her spells around them. Her calm demeanor is as much as a illusion as her magic was, she was extremely morbid and enjoyed pain in others and herself.
History: Still relatively new at the academy but Ysena has allready been disciplined multiple times for manipulating the teachers which has kept her ranks low.
Grade: Novice.
Primary School of Magic*: Illusion
Secondary School of Magic*: Shadow
Bread and Butter Spell:Dream manipulation (unlike her other illusion spells, when the person involved is dreaming everything the person thinks they feel does affect them physically
Students Only
Favored Subjects:

Enmuro

This should be a lot of fun, love the char Silk. I'll create the IC, OOC, and char threads later tonight. The plan is to start the IC thread at the point where students are presenting their results/experiments to Argus for grading.

We can still use more players if anyone reading this is on the fence about joining :)

the fox without

Name: Joseph Paterson
Physical Description:
Personality:Joseph is carefree, and can laugh off most things, though he can tend to get a bit obssed when he gets into an experiment. Everything is a game to him, including battles, and tries to enjoy himself whenever he gets the chance.
History: Joseph's discovery of his proficiency in the Fire element was a flashy event, or so the 4th period class chemistry class back when he was a sophmore will tell you, and he was more than happy to learn more about them.
Joseph's first few years at the Academy were certainly interesting, causing most of the school to now know that when he is experimenting, it is best to be very far away if yo enjoy having your eye brows where they are. He has recently taken to combining Fire and Air, and has seen that is is relatively easy to draw oxygen to a certain area, and then releasing a small spark within, making an instant explosion, cutting down on the energy needed to get bigger results, which Joseph is more than happy with. 
Grade: Adept 4
Primary School of Magic*: Fire
Secondary School of Magic*: Air
Bread and Butter Spell: Burning Prison
It cocentrates a massive amount of pure oxygen around the target, encasing them, and then setting it off with a small spark, continuing to feed oxygen into the flame.

gnoah

I would love to play a prisoner if that is still an option.  Maybe one infused with a little magic that has made him very resilient to experiments (he recovers quickly) so is is a prized prisoner.  Would this be an option?

Would it be an option to play a woman? if not not biggie

Enmuro

Perfect char fox, it will be good to have a high ranking student in the mix. Feel free to post in ic thread whenever.   

Gn, if you are up for playing a prisoner I think that would round out our group nicely. Please feel free to pick any gender when you make your char.

gnoah

Name: Fiona

Physical Description: Short and once very beautiful, now often caked in mud and grime as she is one of the primary research prisoners due to her unnatural ability to regenerate and heal from any wound.

Personality:Very vacant and submissive.  Does what she is told and has given up on escape.  She was once a proud and bubbly young lady, but the school has robbed most of that from her.

History: Within her first few days at the school 8 years ago she was assisting in an experiment and the room was engulfed in flames, everyone and everything was burned to a crisp but when the room was safe to enter the teachers found her unharmed.  The headmaster realized the potential in this and had her placed in the dungeon and told Fiona's family she was killed in the blast.  In the dungeon or labs is were she has lived for the last 8 years.

Grade: No magical ability anymore
Primary School of Magic*: Regeneration
Secondary School of Magic*: Slow Aging

Lan Moore

Lan Moore

Name: Lan Moore
Physical Description:

A little over 6 foot tall with long very dark blue hair and crystal blue eyes that seem to glow when in the moon light. He isn't muscular but toned, his hair usually tied back.
Personality: Keeps to him self, often has an urge to see people's fears, their desires, their nightmares. He loves using the ability to change his body and make people see thing just for fun, though he usually acts like a loner.
History: Lan is one of ten brothers, none of which have the same mothers. His father was a wild alcoholic who would often go into bits of rage and lose his mind. One night he was awakened to the feel of hands around his neck strangling him to death. He lost conscientiousness and when he regained it he found him self in the woods burying his father's body, or at least what he could recognize and the head. Since then he had discovered some gifts he hold and trained them to his advantage. This is his first year.
Grade: Adept 4
Primary School of Magic*:Transformation
Secondary School of Magic*: Mental
Bread and Butter Spell: Worst Nightmare.
Students Only
Favored Subjects: Potions

Treena

*smiles* you had to pull out the sexy pic didn't you lan.

Treena'sWiki

Lan Moore

Enmuro

That char sounds like he would make a good teacher with his abilities. If you want to keep him as a student though then bump his rank down to adept 4 (dont ask me why they count down before the count up for the master ranks. I didn't come up with that crazy system:) ).

With one of those changes (rank/role) your character sounds great, bring him in to the exam room at your leisure. Since he doesn't specialize in elemental magic he probably has been doing self study btw.

Lan Moore

Quote from: Enmuro on August 03, 2009, 05:10:51 PM
That char sounds like he would make a good teacher with his abilities. If you want to keep him as a student though then bump his rank down to adept 4 (dont ask me why they count down before the count up for the master ranks. I didn't come up with that crazy system:) ).

With one of those changes (rank/role) your character sounds great, bring him in to the exam room at your leisure. Since he doesn't specialize in elemental magic he probably has been doing self study btw.
oh sorry, I thought adept 1 was a low rank, ok adept 4 then.

Lan Moore

can I join now or do I have to do something else?

Enmuro

(like I said, adept 1 being the lowest would make too much sense ;) ) please feel free to join by heading to the examination room to show off your experiment. you'll probably want to run into silk's character first though.