Windows XP Startup?

Started by Blinkin, September 04, 2013, 07:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

Hi again Gang:

My XP machine is really, really slow at start up and is getting slower  in running just about everything. I've run anti-virus scans, defraged and run error checks, cleared out the browser history and temp files... the only thing that I can think of left is what's being loaded during start up. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to check and see what's in the startup... can someone tell me how to access this while Windows is active and how to determine what is actually needed and what isn't?

Than ks
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Moraline

*Note: You are probably going to need help with this in case you turn off JAWS and need someone that can see the list to turn it back on. I'm not sure if once it's disabled on startup, if the shortcut key for it will work.

General Startup Menu Access Instructions for XP (2 Methods):

First Method

Click on "Start" then "Run" and in the run line type in “MSCONFIG” hit Enter or click on OK.

Next click on the "Start Up" tab. 

By default all items are usually checked, but you can remove any items that you don’t feel need to be running when you start your computer.

*NOTE: This is the hard part. Most can be unchecked to turn them off since most programs don't need to be loaded when the computer loads BUT you'll need to figure out which ones are for the software that you need such as JAWS, Antivirus, and Firewall etc...

After you have made your selections, click "Apply", "OK" and "Restart."

Second Method (Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270035)

Use Windows Defender to disable programs in Windows XP Home Edition, follow these steps:

Click Start, click All Programs, and then click Windows Defender.
    Click Tools, and then click Software Explorer.
    Click the application name in the Name column that you want to disable, and then click Disable.

Blinkin

Thanks for the help. I haven't tried it yet, but it's something that's on my list.

Under start, All Programs is a Startup menu with Microsoft Office under that. It's the only thing in the folder and it is a shortcut. Will deleting this shortcut help me any, or is it just the shortcut? If I delete it, I should still be able to open MS Word, Excell and so on from All Programs, right? Or a shortcut icon on the desktop, right?
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Moraline

Those are just shortcuts. Deleting them won't change anything and "Yes" you will still be able to start those applications from other shortcuts - like the ones on your desktop.

Blinkin

Ok, thanks. I thought that was the case, but I'm a little paranoid about experimenting with this thing. Can't afford repair cost, much less replacement.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.