R.I.P Twinkies

Started by Callie Del Noire, November 16, 2012, 09:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Beguile's Mistress

I wonder if the union would be interested in buying the company?

Avis habilis

Good question. I wonder if they could form some kind of collective, make it an employee-owned business. Hmm...

Callie Del Noire

I figure they'll go chapter 11 and work things out.. Twinkies is a very big name in snacks.

Silver

Indeed it is and there would just be too many angry people out there for them not to figure something out quickly and quietly.
O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: Star - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix)
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

Avis habilis

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 16, 2012, 09:53:00 AM
I figure they'll go chapter 11 and work things out.. Twinkies is a very big name in snacks.

Radio news said they've already been through bankruptcy twice. Management has declared they're going to take their ball & go home this time, liquidate the company & wrap it up. (Roll it up? Wrap it up? There's some official term for dissolving a company, but I can't think of it.)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Avis habilis on November 16, 2012, 09:57:24 AM
Radio news said they've already been through bankruptcy twice. Management has declared they're going to take their ball & go home this time, liquidate the company & wrap it up. (Roll it up? Wrap it up? There's some official term for dissolving a company, but I can't think of it.)

Sounds like they're going to call it a day. Shame..they have a solid image to work behind and fairly big standing in the industry.. guessing someone will be buying twinkies in the close out auction.

Moraline

I wonder if this is just the snack cake division of the company or all of it's brands?

They only mention snack cakes but these guys own Lay's potato chips as well (...  brands in the Frito-Lay group include Fritos, Doritos, Ruffles, Cheetos, Rold Gold pretzels, and Sun Chips.)

Doritos are one of my guilty pleasures and my Father always has a bag of Rold Gold pretzels in his house for guests to munch on.

In some ways, it might be a good sign that major junk food vendors are feeling the hard times. It sux for jobs but maybe the world is very slowly starting to steer towards healthier choices. (Oh my?! Does this mean, I'll have to snack on fruit and veggies now?)

Avis habilis

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 16, 2012, 10:15:07 AM
... guessing someone will be buying twinkies in the close out auction.

Good point. The names of their products are worth something; they could sell them off to another industrial food conglomerate that would then have the right to start churning out Twinkies & Ding Dongs & whatever else.

Beguile's Mistress

It's been my experience, having been through several like scenarios, that a viable brand will likely be purchased by another company or the physical property sold, dismantled and redeveloped.  An employee buyout might work if the recipes are included in the sale because then the product would remain the same even if the name changes.

Brands disappearing isn't something new and in this case local companies may be able to fill the void if Hostess goes the way of the dodo.

Moraline

I think it would be awesome if local brands filled the void and promoted more small local businesses to get into snack foods again. Hostess was/is a monstrous juggernaut of a company. I miss small local bakeries. Used to have a bunch of them in around where I grew up and now they are all long gone.

Mister Grimm

Quote from: Moraline on November 16, 2012, 10:15:54 AM
I wonder if this is just the snack cake division of the company or all of it's brands?

They only mention snack cakes but these guys own Lay's potato chips as well (...  brands in the Frito-Lay group include Fritos, Doritos, Ruffles, Cheetos, Rold Gold pretzels, and Sun Chips.)

Doritos are one of my guilty pleasures and my Father always has a bag of Rold Gold pretzels in his house for guests to munch on.

In some ways, it might be a good sign that major junk food vendors are feeling the hard times. It sux for jobs but maybe the world is very slowly starting to steer towards healthier choices. (Oh my?! Does this mean, I'll have to snack on fruit and veggies now?)

I'm pretty sure that Frito-Lay is a division of PepsiCo not Hostess Brands. xD
I've got all the things I need. It's the nature of my breed.
I'm independent, s m o o t h and confident.
Always in command with a graceful element and a tasteful compliment.
Do you know who I am?
I'm a deadly handsome man.

LunarSage

The funny thing is I knew about this last month.  Well, that it was going to happen.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Moraline

Quote from: Mister Grimm on November 16, 2012, 11:34:48 AM
I'm pretty sure that Frito-Lay is a division of PepsiCo not Hostess Brands. xD

Your right, I misread something. Lays pretty much put hostess potato chips in Canada out of business, years ago.

Lux12

I knew they said they were having troubles, but this is still unexpected.It seems surreal since they've been around for my entire life and several generations before that.

Stattick

Ah man, why can't this happen to Little Debbie instead? I like Hostess stuff, while I dislike Little Debbie (also, Little Debbie puts something in all their items that gives me screaming stomach pains like I'd drank a smoothie made from acid and ground glass).
O/O   A/A

Valerian

Allow me to hope that Tastykakes will step into the void left behind.  Their stuff is better anyway, but right now you can't get it in the midwestern states, where I am.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Avis habilis

In the meantime, here's a collection of recipes for making your own version: http://www.dailydot.com/culture/twinkie-hostess-devil-dog-tutorial-video/

Shjade

Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Mister Grimm

Quote from: Valerian on November 16, 2012, 12:58:48 PM
Allow me to hope that Tastykakes will step into the void left behind.  Their stuff is better anyway, but right now you can't get it in the midwestern states, where I am.

Mmm, Tastykakes. My girlfriend from New Jersey said about the same thing, so hopefully they do step up their game a little.

And pft. Zombieland. <3

Also, a part of me was curious to see if eBay is blowing up with boxes of Twinkles, Snowballs, etc on auction and that same part of me is a little sad for humanity now. There are better snack companies out there people. It isn't the end of the world.
I've got all the things I need. It's the nature of my breed.
I'm independent, s m o o t h and confident.
Always in command with a graceful element and a tasteful compliment.
Do you know who I am?
I'm a deadly handsome man.

Valerian

Quote from: Mister Grimm on November 16, 2012, 01:16:36 PM
Mmm, Tastykakes. My girlfriend from New Jersey said about the same thing, so hopefully they do step up their game a little.

And pft. Zombieland. <3

Also, a part of me was curious to see if eBay is blowing up with boxes of Twinkles, Snowballs, etc on auction and that same part of me is a little sad for humanity now. There are better snack companies out there people. It isn't the end of the world.
I used to date a guy from Philadelphia who received regular Tastykake care packages from home.  Yummy.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Oniya

The little Oni likes the Tastykake fruit pies.  Drop them in the microwave for a few seconds - Nummy.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

kckolbe

I imagine President Obama feels very conflicted about this.  On one hand, having any major business fail looks bad on him.  On the other hand, he is very concerned about obesity.  Also, I like your avatar Moraline.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

bubby

Never been the biggest fan of the stuff, but ffs... another american icon poofed.

Can we say government buyout?  ::)

Avis habilis

I don't think Hostess was too big to fail. There are plenty of other players in the life-shortening snack food space to take up the slack.