YIM Account

Started by Nadir, September 23, 2013, 10:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nadir

Having a bit of an issue - I want to get a new YIM account, but their new account log-in says I need a mobile number to verify it.

Thing is I have never owned a mobile. Anyone know if I'm buggered?

Blythe

Someone mentioned what might be a solution for that here; I hope this helps!  ;D

(Never used the site she links to in that post, though, so no idea if it's any good)

Nadir

I tried it, but I'm being told it's not a valid number

*wrinkles nose*

Elina

I already have a YIM account, but it'll always try and ask me to update with a cell number.  There's some fine print and a teeny little link near the bottom to skip it.  Does your page have something like that?

Nadir

*checks again, and shakes head* nope - but I'm going to try something else. It should work unless YIM are being over-restrictive

Jag

YIM forces you to put a cell number in now. You don't have the choice to skip it if you're making a new account now. You have to put in a valid mobile phone number. I tried my house number and it wouldn't accept it. They don't send you any messages or anything, so I don't know how it validates it, but yeah, if you don't have a mobile number and you want a new YIM account, you're screwed.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

The Dark Raven

Or if you'd rather not give them even more personal information for them to tie you to on the intarwebs. ;)

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Blythe

I know I was able to remove my mobile number after getting a YIM, though. Can't remember how, but I did remove it.

Valthazar

If you are opposed to giving out your mobile number, don't make a YIM account.  There are many alternative IM options like Skype.

Only if individuals begin to reduce usage of services that require intrusive personal information, will there be any pressure for them to require less.  We can't keep opting into things that we are uncomfortable with.

Nadir

But I don't own a mobile

Jag

I don't either. I had to cheat my way around it, because most of my friends use YIM. If I use another service, I'd really have no reason to have a service at all since most of my friends already had a YIM account.

Elina

Quote from: Dim Hon on September 23, 2013, 11:15:17 AM
*checks again, and shakes head* nope - but I'm going to try something else. It should work unless YIM are being over-restrictive
Sorry.  Worth a shot.  :(

The Dark Raven

Quote from: ValthazarElite on September 23, 2013, 11:29:11 AM
If you are opposed to giving out your mobile number, don't make a YIM account.  There are many alternative IM options like Skype.

Only if individuals begin to reduce usage of services that require intrusive personal information, will there be any pressure for them to require less.  We can't keep opting into things that we are uncomfortable with.

I don't have a YIM account, mostly for other reasons, but that just adds another "no" to my list. :)

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Nadir

¬_¬

YIM are being buttmunchers so I'm moving to AIM

Jag

Quote from: Dim Hon on September 23, 2013, 11:52:25 AM
¬_¬

YIM are being buttmunchers so I'm moving to AIM

They've moved beyond being buttmunchers now...>.>

Nadir

I think they just don't want people to use their services >_>

Ariel

What bullshit. When something demands your phone number, move on. I' d suggest Gmail, but I think they're doing the same. I dunno, made my account a few years back so I'm not bothered ^^

Anyways, AOL seems like the better option, much simplier. :-)
Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

Beguile's Mistress

You can use either another email address or a phone number.

I'm wondering if a Google Voice number would work?

Nadir

There was no option of email or number, just number. As for a gtalk number, I didn't have a chance to try before they blocked my IP for an undisclosed reason.

So yeah, I'll be using a different IM client ::) 

Hera

QuoteOnly if individuals begin to reduce usage of services that require intrusive personal information, will there be any pressure for them to require less.  We can't keep opting into things that we are uncomfortable with.

Hear, hear.  There is no online service that would be worth that level of personal intrusion to me.

Oreo

Quote from: Dim Hon on September 23, 2013, 11:32:10 AM
But I don't own a mobile
I don't either. They don't work where I live, so what would be the point? It's almost as bad as YouTube wanting me to give my real name. :P to that too.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Cheka Man

YM is an idiot. I'm pleased that I got my account before that. And f*** Youtube for trying to get my real name. I will never own a mobile phone-it makes me a big fat target for robbers, costs too much money and lets the government track me everywhere I go.